• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

thuway

Vita port on the horizon? I love your work Tell Tale, but I hate playing on PC / PS3 / 360.... Gimme Ipad / Android either?

aborath

Neo Member
MAJOR COMIC SPOILERS

This is what I was going to say...I would actually be willing to bet that we really did see her with her head cut off, and that she really is dead - for now. But that's obviously not going to last, considering that she's there in the comics. She did survive a high powered rifle shot to the head, getting her head cut off isn't that much of a stretch...

Like everyone else, I guessed that the victim would be Snow or Beauty. Even so, I was surprised that they had the balls to kill Snow out-of-the-gate. Since Wolf Among Us has similarities to the first comic arc--with Rose Red being "killed"--I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Faith is still alive (although Rose never had her head removed). I also completely forgot that a fable's resiliency was tied to their popularity; now I fully expect Snow to return. Still, it was a good tension-building way to end the first episode.

Really liked it. I wish more games were like this and The Walking Dead: decision-focused gameplay with minimal twitch, and able to be completed in a couple of hours.

Splatt

I love the brand of cigarettes that Bigby is smoking.

"Huff & Puff"
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

hwalker84

Nop, when I finised my game made a backup using GameSave Manager. Here's the link: http://www.gamesave-manager.com/

People saves have been deleting automatically or something?

The Walking Dead on the PC was a mess. I know people that still never beat it because the game just deletes their progress.

It looks like its worse than Walking Dead on the PC looking at the Steam forums. Lots of people are reporting it just doesn't save at all.

Alison

Banned
Playing this immediately after playing Beyond makes David Cage look like even more of a hack. Telltale just nail it every single time.

Vengal

Playing this immediately after playing Beyond makes David Cage look like even more of a hack. Telltale just nail it every single time.

After playing beyond i thought hard about playing walking dead and now thinking about wolf among us as well. Gotta agree that this at least is starting off on a better foot. Granted we'd have to see how well the full 5 episode arc is before I could compare it fully against Beyond.

So far so good though!

I couldn't disagree more. if anything I think people that moan about Cages work and what is/isn't a game and then praise Walking Dead and now Wolf, truly make me raise my eyebrows.

Never read the Fables comics, but I've heard about them and they seem really cool.

About how long will each episode be in length? Similar to The Walking Dead?

Actually, I liked it less than The Walking Dead. Too many characters and I couldn't care for any of them. They don't have much personality. The gameplay and storytelling mechanics are excellent, though.

I couldn't disagree more. if anything I think people that moan about Cages work and what is/isn't a game and then praise Walking Dead and now Wolf, truly make me raise my eyebrows.

I was more affected by both TWD and the first chapter of TWAU than any point in Beyond. They writing was witless and the 'emotional' scenes felt really hollow to me. I enjoy Quantic Dream's games because they are different, but writing is not a strong point.

I'm not sure. Cages stuff just really frustrates me. there's still more game here than he manages and his writing is terrible.

That isn't the reason people criticize david cage. It certainly makes me raise my eyebrows when you place cage's and telltale's work beside each other like that.

That isn't the reason people criticize david cage. It certainly makes me raise my eyebrows when you place cage's and telltale's work beside each other like that.

Explain to me why you shouldn't writing aside, they are very similar gameplay types. Cinematic, story driven, choose your own adventure style of gameplay. How can you not see that? Again regardless of preference of writing, the gameplay mechanics are extremely similar.

Explain to me why you shouldn't writing aside, they are very similar gameplay types. Cinematic, story driven, choose your own adventure style of gameplay. How can you not see that? Again regardless of preference of writing, the gameplay mechanics are extremely similar.

The writing and pacing are what people have the issue with, and in these kinds of games they are of the utmost importance.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
So, kind of thinking about purchasing this. I didn't play TWD. The $25 on steam includes all the episodes?

You can't really say "writing aside" as these games are all about the story, and how the story is delivered to the player is key. The gameplay, the choices, and the experience as a whole are given weight through that story, and it gets the player invested.

The writing and pacing are what people have the issue with, and in these kinds of games they are of the utmost importance.

That's understandable, but the writing and pacing isn't the only problem a lot of people always bring up with Cage's work. It's also the whole "it's not a game/limited interaction, etc" I loved the first episode of The Wolf Among Us and all of The Walking Dead, but the Tell Tale games are extremely similar in game play mechanics.To deny that just seems like ignorance.

That's uunderstandable, but the writing and pacing isn't the only problem a lot of people always bring up with Cage's work. It's also the whole "it's not a game/limited interaction, etc" I loved the first episode of The Wolf Among Us and all of The Walking Dead, but the Tell Tale games are extremely similar in game play mechanics.To deny that just seems like ignorance.

The problem with this argument is that its based off the assumption that all people criticize cage's works for that same reason, when many do not. I, personally, have no problem with how much of "a game" his works are, and you would be hard pressed to find a telltale fan who doesn't feel the same.

The problem with this argument is that its based off the assumption that all people criticize cage's works for that same reason, when many do not. I, personally, have no problem with how much of "a game" his works are, and you would be hard pressed to find a telltale fan who doesn't feel the same.

Guess it just depends who you ask man. I constantly see the argument that it's a "movie" not a game and some of these remarks have come from people that loved The Walking Dead. So it's not some mythical beast. :p

Cages writing is bloody awful which definitely sets it apart.

The whole "I didn't even know I was a killer" narrative in HR put me off him badly, you can read your thoughts but that never occurs to you? Bloody terrible writing.

Incredible, simply incredible. I loved every second of it, the story is engaging, the characters are fantastically voice acted and the setting is just incredible...

The story was fantastic, really can't stress that enough. So much so I've decided to check out the comics and I'm not hoping/pining for a TV show set in this world. Preferably on HBO or FX, could be incredible.

The gameplay itself was better than TWD I thought, there was a lot more tension throughout and the controls have been improved significantly too, which was a a very nice and welcome surprise. The improvement in how QTE's work was also appreciated too.

The twists throughout were great too and that ending. HOLY SHIT doesn't begin to cover how shocked I was at that final scene. I can't wait to see how it all plays out and the next episode looks even more intense.

My only real issue with it is that TT still haven't managed to work out the kinks in their engine. I mean, is it really that hard? It feels like it's worse than TWD in some respects, the constant freezes, the slow down, the audio playing seconds before the game has actually loaded. It's just frustrating to have such a great game held back by technical issues.

It may be too early to say this, but I feel this is going to be one of my games of the year in 2014.

hohoXD123

Unsure of whether I should wait to get this on PSN or get it on PC. Seems the 360 version has framerate issues and the PC version has saved game issues.

Squishy3

How how much time did they have between episodes for TWD?
It was roughly one new episode every 2 months. So we should get a new episode sometime in December, if they follow the same schedule.

The Walking Dead on the PC was a mess. I know people that still never beat it because the game just deletes their progress.

It looks like its worse than Walking Dead on the PC looking at the Steam forums. Lots of people are reporting it just doesn't save at all.
It didn't delete their progress, the problem is the game saved the choices you made to prefs.prop than the save file, and two copies of it existed in the Steam folder and My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead. If I recall correctly, the game saves the decisions in the latter, but when starting a new playthrough, it decides to read from the former, which is created when you start episode 1. So it tries to read from that one whenever you start a new episode, and IIRC solution is to copy prefs.prop from My Documents into the Steam folder. But yeah, there's no real good reason for the issue to exist at all. Relatively easy to fix, but still annoying.

The Wolf Among Us doesn't have a prefs.prop in the Steam folder though, so the same problem shouldn't happen, at least.

iammeiam

I quite enjoyed it; I like that it seems the first season is going to be more tied together than TWD's, with a central arc instead of a bunch of individual stories. It seemed to perform slightly worse on my 360 than TWD. Both hitch a little at every transition, but load times on Wolf Among Us felt worse.

I liked the choices on offer here, too, and wound up going with minority options more than once.
I went after The Woodsman instead of Dee, since I wanted to know more about Faith and it seemed like Dee was basically doing the same kind of searching I was. Less than ten percent of people fingered Bluebeard as the killer, but it was totally his MO and Snow agreed with me.

All in all, I think Telltale's set up to deliver an excellent game. And now I want to go catch up on Fables.

TellTale are becoming terrific developers in my opinion, the writing and pacing is top quality.

Never going to happen but I would love them to do a Star Wars or X-Men game

Meader

Has anyone had problems with the 360 version not loading after selecting 'Start Episode 1'? It hasn't locked up for me, just sits there on the episode select screen.

Top Bottom