• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

Just finished it, and wow - that was fantastic. Better than Walking Dead Episode 1, for sure, so we're off to a promising start! The noir atmosphere and the characters are so good, and the fight scenes feel very physical.

Ending spoilers:
I actually felt a gut-punch when Snow White's head was revealed on the steps... fucking ballsy move.

Between this and the Stanley Parable Demo, it has been a damned good day of gaming for me!

FluxWaveZ

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that there's no option to disable notifications concerning character reactions to player decisions? I'm not too irritated by that, but I was used to playing TWD with character notification off and now having pop ups everywhere tell me which decisions are meant to be significant or not is somewhat distracting.

(MAJOR SPOILERS FOR FUTURE EPISODES / REGARDING THE COMIC)
So the fact that Snow White is still alive in the comics, as well as the fact that the mirror could not locate Faith, pretty much indicates that neither of them are dead and what we saw is some sort of trick, correct?

In the comics the more popular a fable is the harder it is for them to die. So the popularity of Snow White could actually lead to her surviving having her head cut off.

theytookourjobz

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that there's no option to disable notifications concerning character reactions to player decisions? I'm not too irritated by that, but I was used to playing TWD with character notification off and now having pop ups everywhere tell me which decisions are meant to be significant or not is somewhat distracting.

Yeah I was sure there would be an option to turn those off. Kills immersion big time.

Pollux

In the comics the more popular a fable is the harder it is for them to die. So the popularity of Snow White could actually lead to her surviving having her head cut off.

MAJOR COMIC SPOILERS

This is what I was going to say...I would actually be willing to bet that we really did see her with her head cut off, and that she really is dead - for now. But that's obviously not going to last, considering that she's there in the comics. She did survive a high powered rifle shot to the head, getting her head cut off isn't that much of a stretch...

jediyoshi

Shit dude! You've just told my decisions.

That ending... I loved her.. Like I really did.

It's wild how much the percentages flipped.
The lying to beast and going to toad first options especially swapped around

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
This morning I said I was disappointed by Beyond: Two Souls so I no longer had a GOTY candidate for 2013.

I take that back. This game is now my GOTY candidate.

Except for the fact that this whole game won't be out this year. So it'll be in a weird position when it comes to GOTY nods.

SystemBug

MAJOR SPOILERS!

Okay wtf at the ending. is this game taking place in an alternate universe than the comic books? I thought it was a prequel or something

Wow I haven't been that shocked at an ending in a looooooooooooong time. I did NOT see that coming. I literally had chills. This was fucking awesome start to finish. I'll be replaying it for sure.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
For someone who was no frame of reference about Fables, is this still worth jumping into? I tried the demo but it was too short to really tell.

Can't stop thinking about how awesome the ending was. When they showed Beast behind the police barricade trying to see what was going on I could of swore it was going to be Beauty's head on the steps, and then the reveal to see it was actually Snow White was fucking gut wrenching! I'm assuming there is no way to play through it where Snow doesn't die?

FHIZ

God, that last scene. Depressing way to end the night.

But DAMN, does this game run like shit on the 360. At it's worst during the action scenes too. I just don't understand how they can't figure this one out, given Walking Dead had the same issues. Going to have to switch to my iMac when it shows back up on Steam.

How do these things even run on iOS if they can't run on a home console?

ImLibo

Just finished it,holy shit! That was really fucking good,bought the season pass as soon as the credits were over.

Fjordson

God, that last scene. Depressing way to end the night.

But DAMN, does this game run like shit on the 360. At it's worst during the action scenes too. I just don't understand how they can't figure this one out, given Walking Dead had the same issues. Going to have to switch to my iMac when it shows back up on Steam.

How do these things even run on iOS if they can't run on a home console?
So it's that bad? Shitty =[ definitely going to wait then.

Double D

Welp, that was darker than I imagined. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

My choices this episode:

Gave faith money
Lied to Beast
Helped Toad first (guessing I messed this up)
Didn't say a suspect
Went for Tweedle Dee

I chose the exact same way. Wonder what happens if you
Go to Lawrence first. Also when I went to Lawrence I asked him what happened. In hindsight I should have asked him who did this considering the gun hadn't been fired.

Anyways really enjoyed it. I only played a the first two episodes of TWD but so far I like this a lot more. Also I'm terrible at QTEs.

Sioen

This game was absolutely amazing, hope it comes over to next gen consoles though as the framerate is shit on my 360.
I can not wait for the next episode, just that good. Even better than TWD for me personally.

RetroMG

This game is completely amazing. Sadly, I don't think my wife will like it. (She loves Telltale, but I think this one will be a little too dark/gritty.) Amazing Soundtrack, amazing voice acting and art - I am totally in love.

jediyoshi

Found a better dll / controller fix
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6kf40nb7ign7cco/dinput8.dll

Throw it in your Wolf Among Us folder, should get the analogue sticks working

Looking through the extras, I'm surprised at how much of the character art is done for future episodes. Between browsing through episode select a bit and all the future episode's unlocks already planned out, I'm hoping their release schedule is a bit steadier this time around.

Also, I'm missing an unlock from this episode ]:

I chose the exact same way. Wonder what happens if you
Go to Lawrence first. Also when I went to Lawrence I asked him what happened. In hindsight I should have asked him who did this considering the gun hadn't been fired.

I just went and started a second playthrough to do things slightly different this time around. I was going to have it be complete opposites, but I can't stand playing the bad guy :p

Ratrat

Didn't pay much attention to The Walking Dead but this looks very interesting. How much time usually between episodes?

Arkain

So, they didn't bother to make this game playable on azerty keyboards, same as the walking dead. Great.
Anyone know if there's some other convoluted way to remap the controls, in a config file or something?

Lima

There was a PSN version? I checked the store and it wasn't in new releases. I figured it wasn't released on PS3.

I think he means TWD with that. And no that didn't run any better than the 360 version.

At this point I think Teltalle just can't do it any better since these games aren't exactly pushing the hardware.

Has it full gamepad support on the PC?

Nope, I tried and nothing happened, even had that walking dead bug where if you leave the controller in when you start the game it auto crashes.

Episode 1 was definitely great, makes me want to go and get the Fable trades but I want to continue fresh from the comic.

Top Bottom