• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

The only thing I'm having trouble reconciling with this theory is
Faith would've had to have glamoured Nerissa without her knowledge in order to trick Georgie into killing her, right?

There's an easy answer to that, really.
Faith (glamoured as Nerissa) delivered Nerissa (glamoured as Faith) to Georgie for leniency. Presumably Faith incapacitated her and swapped their appearances, knowing Georgie intended to kill them all. That's why of the three (Lily, Nerissa, Faith), the one appearing as Nerissa is the only one remaining alive - because she proved her loyalty and usefulness.

Then once it all calms down and Georgie is dealt with, she can live out her life in relative safety while abandoning the life she didn't want anymore. Just like in the Fable.

Perhaps she feels guilty about the swap, which is why she drops such a heavy hint to Bigby at the end. And it would also explain why she put Bigby on Georgie's trail to begin with.

pls be alive faith

Faith (glamoured as Nerissa) delivered Nerissa (glamoured as Faith) to Georgie for leniency. Presumably Faith incapacitated her and swapped their appearances, knowing Georgie intended to kill them all. That's why of the three (Lily, Nerissa, Faith), the one appearing as Nerissa is the only one remaining alive - because she proved her loyalty and usefulness.

Then once it all calms down and Georgie is dealt with, she can live out her life in relative safety while abandoning the life she didn't want anymore. Just like in the Fable.

Perhaps she feels guilty about the swap, which is why she drops such a heavy hint to Bigby at the end. And it would also explain why she put Bigby on Georgie's trail to begin with.

pls be alive faith

Well, then things didn't happen at all like
Nerissa
says they did, see my previous post to see what I mean.

Well, then things didn't happen at all like
Nerissa
says they did, see my previous post to see what I mean.

In the two weeks since I played the earlier episodes, I've forgotten too much...

I'll have to replay TWAU soon to refresh my memory and solidify my thoughts.

Sendou

The problem is that supposedly they were all in the same room when it happened, Georgie, Faith, Nerissa and Lily.
So nobody was glamoured at that point or else Georgie would be seeing a double.
Regardless, he killed one of them and he would know if one of the others assumed the identity of the one he killed.

He wouldn't if there were two glamours at place: a person glamouring as another and vice versa.

Amazing Game! Good work Telltale 👍
I give it ★★★★
outta 5 due to all the technical issues it gave me, froze my Xbox more than 6 times!

That twist ending though!
The Faith/Nerissa thing & the confession? WOW, I didn't see that one coming AT ALL!
Lookin' forward to Season 2 in the meantime, I'll check out the comic books!

He wouldn't if there were two glamours at place: a person glamouring as another and vice versa.

Why would that happen though? Are you saying that one of them was glamoured without realizing it? Even if that is what happened I don't really buy it, kinda hard to swallow.

I finished it last night, it was fantastic.... except for the random bug that I had happen right after
I had Crooked Man going to Jail.

The next day pops up, and Collin is walking out of the elevator with Beer. All the decisions have "This is a Blank choice" or whatever next to them. As the scene keeps going with Flycatcher and everyone else, it keeps having that as the choices pop up.

Then as Snow hands me keys it cuts. I thought that was the end of the game. Then it takes me back to the fight scene from the beginning episode with Dee and Dum, Jersey and Mary and Georgie. Georgie turns invisible when he picks up the knife, and attacks me. Dee's gun flies up in the air and I die as the window glass break while Dum is holding me while Invisible Georgie is about to stab me... It was really weird. Then once it said you died, it restarted me to "The next Morning" and I continued to the end.

Something similar happened to me at the end of episode 3 with Mary and the tweedles. Buggy game is buggy

The final episode had more peaks and valleys for me than the previous four. Not sure how I feel about it still. I hope they make a season two though, I love the Fables world. I had the game lock up on me four times during the final episode. Figure your shit out TellTale Jesus Fucking Christ.

Sendou

Why would that happen though? Are you saying that one of them was glamoured without realizing it? Even if that is what happened I don't really buy it, kinda hard to swallow.

Well we're obviously missing some pieces of puzzle here. I think it's pretty obvious we don't have enough information to do anything but guess what went down. What I'd like to think is that Faith convinced Nerissa to "swap" like that. I think she did that knowing that would get Nerissa killed but once again this is more guessing than anything. To clarify the Faith's head that was found was actually glamoured Nerissa. That's my theory.

hbkdx12

Well we're obviously missing some pieces of puzzle here. I think it's pretty obvious we don't have enough information to do anything but guess what went down.

This is my main gripe with ending.
Whether the whole "switch" or whatever ultimately didn't have much to do with what happened at all, you don't go and try to pull some keysor soze shit and not explain it/have it make sense in some kind of appreciable way.

Squishy3

Thinking about getting this, but how buggy is it? Also, does it support 1440p?
It's not really buggy, at least not in my experience. Didn't encounter anything during my playthrough. Don't know the answer to your resolution question as I don't have a screen that goes higher than 1080p. Too bad you just missed the 50% mid-week deal for it on Steam.

Whether the whole "switch" or whatever ultimately didn't have much to do with what happened at all, you don't go and try to pull some keysor soze shit and not explain it/have it make sense in some kind of appreciable way.

yeah it was more it didnt really have any implications at all

Soi-Fong

It's not really buggy, at least not in my experience. Didn't encounter anything during my playthrough. Don't know the answer to your resolution question as I don't have a screen that goes higher than 1080p. Too bad you just missed the 50% mid-week deal for it on Steam.

What? It's still up.

Violet_0

Banned
that ending

also, I just want to say that
making the girls put on those life-threatening and not removable ribbons just to keep discretion (before the Crooked Man even showed up) is hilariously short-sighted

Well we're obviously missing some pieces of puzzle here. I think it's pretty obvious we don't have enough information to do anything but guess what went down. What I'd like to think is that Faith convinced Nerissa to "swap" like that. I think she did that knowing that would get Nerissa killed but once again this is more guessing than anything. To clarify the Faith's head that was found was actually glamoured Nerissa. That's my theory.

In the end we're trying to make sense of a plot twist that doesn't really have any implication on the story.
I'd like to see that character return in S2 though.
Maybe there's more to it than we currently know.

NeoGiff

I finished this last night, but instead of taking about the ending, I want to offer some thoughts on Season 2 (should there even be one).

Since the game itself is called "The Wolf Among Us", it would be strange if Bigby wasn't the main character in a hypothetical second season. Does this mean we will be stuck with Bigby going forward (not that it's necessarily a problem)?

Also, we have to have [comic character spoilers]
Boy Blue, Cinderella and Prince Charming in the future, possibly with Cinderella as the main character as mentioned by another poster.
That has the potential to be really cool, albeit with a much changed tone than the gritty noir feel of Season 1.

I had a bug that happeneded to me this morning in part 5 where all 4 choices in the dialog prompts was "THIS CHOICE IS BLANK" for all 4 choices

It was really weird since it played in part 5

not sure of how common it is but it's happening to others at least according to steamcommunity threads

I finished this last night, but instead of taking about the ending, I want to offer some thoughts on Season 2 (should there even be one).

Since the game itself is called "The Wolf Among Us", it would be strange if Bigby wasn't the main character in a hypothetical second season. Does this mean we will be stuck with Bigby going forward (not that it's necessarily a problem)?

Also, we have to have [comic character spoilers]
Boy Blue, Cinderella and Prince Charming in the future, possibly with Cinderella as the main character as mentioned by another poster.
That has the potential to be really cool, albeit with a much changed tone than the gritty noir feel of Season 1.

Nah its not weird. They could even make a new protagonist to be honest, the scope is huge.

Yeah I think at the end I'm pretty sure that...

it's not Nerissa but Faith. Since when you try to look at Faith in the mirror in ep. 1 after she "died", the mirror said that her whereabouts were concealed through powerful magic. If the decapitated corpse was really Faith, that spell would have been broken and the mirror would have been able to show her corpse.

Beyond that you have guess a bit at the how and why, but that seems certain enough evidence to me.

Peff

It kind of does, actually.
Before the twist Faithissa tells Bigby that it was her who ratted the other two out, which at the time you assume was a naïve attempt to calm things down that backfired. But the twist means that the glamour body swap was already in effect, and the implication is that Faith deliberately had Georgie kill the other two and set the series in motion, all so she would have a better chance of being free and with nothing to tie her to any of it.
. Not much, but it's something.

Just finished it and loved the tension, but
I am confused a bit. Regardless of the whole Faith/Nerissa twist, The Crooked Man was still behind most of this crap right? Or is the theory that Faith/Nerissa was actually behind all the murders?

Just finished it and loved the tension, but
I am confused a bit. Regardless of the whole Faith/Nerissa twist, The Crooked Man was still behind most of this crap right? Or is the theory that Faith/Nerissa was actually behind all the murders?

What I gathered was that
Faith/Nerissa/Lily did get blackmail photo with plans to escape, then one of the culprits did confess about it to Georgie (weither out of genuine concern or as part of a plot), who didn't do anything at that point but had to talk to The Crooked Man about it, who ordered them "taken care of".

From there, that's where you'd have to guess on the motivations. Like just how early in this plan did Faith intend to sell out Nerissa and assume her identity.

It doesn't change that The Crooked Man was an underworld mob boss that dealt in drugs, slave labor, prostitution, murder, etc.

What I gathered was that
Faith/Nerissa/Lily did get blackmail photo with plans to escape, then one of the culprits did confess about it to Georgie (weither out of genuine concern or as part of a plot), who didn't do anything at that point but had to talk to The Crooked Man about it, who ordered them "taken care of".

From there, that's where you'd have to guess on the motivations. Like just how early in this plan did Faith intend to sell out Nerissa and assume her identity.

It doesn't change that The Crooked Man was an underworld mob boss that dealt in drugs, slave labor, prostitution, murder, etc.

Thanks, yeah that is pretty much what I was thinking as well. Has it been confirmed that we will even get a sequel? I know we have Borderlands and Game Of Thrones coming, but I assume this is not selling nearly as well as The Walking Dead.

What I gathered was that

I forgot to ask this before - the one thing I still don't get is why (Season 1 spoilers)
that butcher shop guy was even there at the mock trial
instead of in Fabletown jail or something.

I forgot to ask this before - the one thing I still don't get is why (Season 1 spoilers)
that butcher shop guy was even there at the mock trial
instead of in Fabletown jail or something.

He wasn't working for them by choice. He feared Bloody Mary would just kill him and take his place if he refused to let them use it.

Similar to Beauty, Beast, the hookers, or even Auntie Greenleaf. They were all working for him because they had no other option (though really Beauty and Beast were morons who should have sold some of that expensive shit in their apartment).

He wasn't working for them by choice. He feared Bloody Mary would just kill him and take his place if he refused to let them use it.

Similar to Beauty, Beast, the hookers, or even Auntie Greenleaf. They were all working for him because they had no other option (though really Beauty and Beast were morons who should have sold some of that expensive shit in their apartment).

Right. Thanks for the reply.

(Season 1 musings)
But can you imagine how much less of a threat Bloody Mary would be if she was forced to work at that butcher shop all the time?
It would be great for Bigby's investigations.

Looking at what Bigby starts realizing:
Faith's legend of her hiding her beauty to escape her kingdom,(she hides herself in plain sight to get away) the fact the autospy wasn't done yet, the mirror couldn't show Faith because of the ribbon(which shouldn't be working if the ribbon was removed), I would say its almost certain that it's Faith who got away in the end, I'll be working from this.

Now the problem is reconciling Faith being in EP 1 and the severed head which had the exact same bruises. Just how far can glamour go in taking on someone's appearance anyway? Especially a cheap version.

It works if it was actually Nerissa that Bigby met in EP1 and that was her severed head(she was just covering for Faith for some reason, meeting Bigby was a coincidence) however why would EP5 Faith say the same things as EP1 Nerissa that gives Bigby the big hint? She would have no idea what Nerissa said to Bigby.

Ok Faith is in EP1 and after she meets Bigby she somehow gets Nerissa to glamour as her(and vice versa) and Nerissa is killed. Faith stays as Nerissa the whole game and puts everything in motion by putting glamoured Nerissa's head on Bigby's door.

We never saw the real Nerissa, it fits with the theme and what EP5 Faith was saying about no one caring or noticing when someone dies and suffers, they just become forgotten.

One problem is that surely Nerissa would have spoken up about being glamoured when Georgie was going to kill her, I would have to guess that Faith and/or Georgie didn't give her the chance to speak as she was killed quickly/suddenly or she was knocked out.

still some holes here, but this is what I think for now.

jakomocha

pls be alive faith
The thing I don't understand about the theory is
what would be the point of Faith glamouring herself as Nerissa? Why wouldn't Faith just turn Nerissa and Lily in as herself? On top of that, the dead head in Episode 1 still has Faith's beatings marks on her eyes (the ones given to her by the Woodsman), which, assuming this theory is correct, would mean that in Episode 1 it was Nerissa glamoured as Faith who was beat up by the Woodsman (meaning Faith had not even met Bigby at that point) or Faith actually beat up Nerissa's dead head, which is a disturbing thought. Maybe it was just an oversight by the developers though.
Am I even making sense?

what would be the point of Faith glamouring herself as Nerissa? Why wouldn't Faith just turn Nerissa and Lily in as herself? On top of that, the dead head in Episode 1 still has Faith's beatings marks on her eyes (the ones given to her by the Woodsman), which, assuming this theory is correct, would mean that in Episode 1 it was Nerissa glamoured as Faith who was beat up by the Woodsman (meaning Faith had not even met Bigby at that point) or Faith actually beat up Nerissa's dead head, which is a disturbing thought. Maybe it was just an oversight by the developers though.
Am I even making sense?

You're making sense!

She would assume Nerrisa's identity to escape the shadow of her old life once again. Just like in the fable.

Far as the glamour, I'd assume that it just takes the appearance that the person currently has, so the glamour was put in place after Faith was beat up by the Woodsman. If it doesn't, then Faith had it made with the bruises to lend credibility to it, since it's a high-quality, long-lasting glamour.

It is honestly all up to Telltale how this plays out. There are just too many unknowns and variables in play. The Silver has some good points about where it could go, though.

jakomocha

You're making sense!

She would assume Nerrisa's identity to escape the shadow of her old life once again. Just like in the fable.

Far as the glamour, I'd assume that it just takes the appearance that the person currently has, so the glamour was put in place after Faith was beat up by the Woodsman. If it doesn't, then Faith had it made with the bruises to lend credibility to it, since it's a high-quality, long-lasting glamour.

It is honestly all up to Telltale how this plays out. There are just too many unknowns and variables in play. The Silver has some good points about where it could go, though.
But if she wanted to escape from her life as a prostitute, why would she glamor herself as another prostitute? I get that she would want to continue the case and lead Bigby on, but she could have done all the same things by just staying as herself and leaving Nerrisa's head at Bigby's door. Also, that would make Faith quite selfish in some ways because it'd mean she'd be abandoning her husband who had stuck with her through thick and thin (and possibly causing him to kill himself), however maybe that is her personality. We don't really get to know Faith well.

But if she wanted to escape from her life as a prostitute, why would she glamor herself as another prostitute? I get that she would want to continue the case and lead Bigby on, but she could have done all the same things by just staying as herself and leaving Nerrisa's head at Bigby's door. Also, that would make Faith quite selfish in some ways because it'd mean she'd be abandoning her husband who had stuck with her through thick and thin (and possibly causing him to kill himself), however maybe that is her personality. We don't really get to know Faith well.

An imperfect fable? No way. :)

Presumably, Faith wanted to escape more than just her job. Replacing Nerissa allowed her to stay close to the case and ensure that Bigby solved it, hence her constant aid to Bigby. She also went out of her way to make sure the Crooked Man was locked up, as well, going so far as... stretching the truth.

Once they were dealt with and everything was solved (and only then) did she leave a hint as to who she was - perhaps out of guilt over the situation, or pity over Bigby's abject failure as a detective... who can say for sure.

Sorian

Banned
Just finished it up.

Now that it's all said and done, do we think that the story got a massive re-write after someone picking up all of the clues in episode one?

I do, the story still came out good but there were so many things along that way that just felt like they sprouted up without much foreshadowing and I think that was a result of the rewrite and not wanting people to blow the lid on all of the new stuff being added which in the end, made things suffer. I feel like we went from too much foreshadowing to not enough. Or maybe the boy who cried wolf theory was never accurate but that character showing up everywhere in episode 1 was just too much of a coincidence and being nowhere after that point is a clear enough sign to me

Just finished it up.

Now that it's all said and done, do we think that the story got a massive re-write after someone picking up all of the clues in episode one?

I do, the story still came out good but there were so many things along that way that just felt like they sprouted up without much foreshadowing and I think that was a result of the rewrite and not wanting people to blow the lid on all of the new stuff being added which in the end, made things suffer. I feel like we went from too much foreshadowing to not enough. Or maybe the boy who cried wolf theory was never accurate but that character showing up everywhere in episode 1 was just too much of a coincidence and being nowhere after that point is a clear enough sign to me

There was a brief period where I figured that weird guy you bump into during Episode 1 would later be revealed as the killer. That is the fellow you're talking about, the one you bump into while talking to Snow at the hotel?

It definitely seems like they re-jiggered some aspects of TWAU Season 1 during that big delay. All I can think is that the creator was displeased about the direction it was taking OR Telltale realised that they were being too ambitious or lavish in their plans. Maybe they even scaled back because TWAU Episode 1 underperformed financially.

God I can't stand games where checkpoints aren't frequent and there's no manual save. Play longer than you want to / are able to or lose a scene of progress.

Karu

Started the game to play episode 5. PC crashed. Back on, The Wolf Among Us was deinstalled for no apparent reason. I'm done with this game and with Telltale altogether. At this point, I don't even care if that was actually a problem coming from Steam/my PC or the game. That's one technical "hick-up" too much.

Am I even making sense?

The description for the glamours says that
totally unique appearances are impossible, at least with the glamours that were showing up throughout the game. They require items from the person you want to glamour as. So Faith would have needed to glamour herself as someone she was close to, AND someone that wouldn't be around to ruin the facade.

If she knew she was going to be killed, likely to be, or wanted out of her old life- switching places with nerissa is likely the only plausible way to pull this one off.

Started the game to play episode 5. PC crashed. Back on, The Wolf Among Us was deinstalled for no apparent reason. I'm done with this game and with Telltale altogether. At this point, I don't even care if that was actually a problem coming from Steam/my PC or the game. That's one technical "hick-up" too much.

This is a reasonable post.

But seriously, sounds like your registry files got corrupted from the crash, assuming the game's files are still there. That is why the game mysteriously uninstalled itself, because your computer has no record of it being installed anymore.

If you're using Steam, the fix should be as simple as verifying the game cache from the game's options menu in Steam. It will redownload and fix whatever files were corrupted during the crash, and should be a relatively painless procedure.

You should look into what caused the PC to crash, because that could be the sign of (potentially) serious hardware failure. Fix it sooner rather than later. There's a tech support topic on GAF that will be willing to help you, should you need it.

Top Bottom