• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

Replicant

I don't get how that makes sense.

The story was that all three of them were in on it to facilitate their escape. If she confessed to Georgie as Narissa and admitted guilt, she wouldn't need to glamor herself as Faith for protection in the first place. For all she knew Georgie would kill all 3 of them.

After thinking about it, I believe She needs to.

For the plan to get into motion and attract Bigby, a murder must take place. This is her crime - puppet controlling a murder via Crooked Man's order and Georgie's hand. Of course she doesn't want to get killed by Crooked Man so her glamoring as Faith to set things in motion is important. Her confessing to Georgie is just a ruse and additional safety precautions.

justjim89

I don't understand the twist at all.

Was Narissa actually Faith? Was Faith actually Narissa? Who did Bigby talk to in Episode 1? Whose head was on the steps? I don't understand what the reveal was saying.

Also, what happens if you kill Crooked Man right away instead of taking him back?

I picked "I just hope I've done some good," at the end. Can't even remember what the other choices were.

I don't understand the twist at all.

Was Narissa actually Faith? Was Faith actually Narissa? Who did Bigby talk to in Episode 1? Whose head was on the steps? I don't understand what the reveal was saying.

Also, what happens if you kill Crooked Man right away instead of taking him back?

I picked "I just hope I've done some good," at the end. Can't even remember what the other choices were.

There's no clear answer on your first question. People are still debating and either could be the real answer at this point.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Overall I enjoyed the final episode, though I think the ending scene took it a little too far.
I'm guessing it was implying Nerissa was glamored as Faith when you first met her and she was dead at the time...but did she even need to ever do that? He would have naturally found the same trail just with the head left at the doorstep. If anything that seems RISKY AS FUCK to even attempt given her situation.

I really liked the
actual trial, and seeing the Crooked Man try to worm his way out of stuff. Though I would have liked more ways to bring other stuff up, primarily Bloody Mary who was handled very oddly this episode. Like, there's only one way to take the scene where she attacks you and he leaves the room, but you only can talk about the goons in the other room which was 'a misunderstanding'. I was going to imprison him until he tried that strangle shit with the cuffs, so he can go fuck himself.

But yeah,
Bloody Mary...eh. For all the shit she put you through, that ended up being pretty weak. The fight was overly long, though cool when he turned into his actual wolf form, but she really just went out without any lines? I liked her design atleast.

Been meaning to grab this as I loved TWD Season One. Picked it up finally at 50% off on Steam. Finished Episode One and so far, so good. Interesting characters and setting. It seems a bit more polished than TWD, too.

Ultimadrago

Fair finale. I wasn't blown away by it, but it wasn't shabby. Bigby's
Full Wolf form
was awesome. A shame that the
Bloody Mary
fight was so anticlimactic.

In regards to the Crooked Man, did anyone else
think on the Crooked Man's fate? Have him attempt to restrain you during the "Choice Period" and then toss him in the Well?

Because Bigby totally called my thoughts when he said, "You know, I was gonna let you live, but fuck that now!"

Fair finale. I wasn't blown away by it, but it wasn't shabby. Bigby's
Full Wolf form
was awesome. A shame that the
Bloody Mary
fight was so anticlimactic.

In regards to the Crooked Man, did anyone else
think on the Crooked Man's fate? Have him attempt to restrain you during the "Choice Period" and then toss him in the Well?

Because Bigby totally called my thoughts when he said, "You know, I was gonna let you live, but fuck that now!

The way I played Bigby, it was less about justice and more about him trying to be less the Big Bad Wolf everyone saw him as.
The way the Crooked Man wanted me to snap, and how some of the Fabletown residents reacted when I started to get angry, I let Auntie Greenleft turn him into the crow.
That's just me though.

Goldrush

Bugged out the first time I played Episode 5, but just finished it. Shame that this is the first Telltales game that don't even attempt to have puzzle. Guess it's extremely unlikely that they will return to their Sam & Max/Monkey Island days. I did enjoy it, though, and wouldn't oppose S2, especially if it is set post-issue 150.

I liked that not doing a QTE is a valid choice occasionally. Especially since I was trying not to be the big, bad wolf, I pulled my punches multiple times whenever I felt things were getting too bloody. Led to a few game over, though. Love it when I stopped attacking Beast once the claws came out and it was reflected in the ending statistic of that episode. Does how far you push thing affect the trial at the end?

Cheska

UGGGH! I've been trying to replay Episode 3 to get the last trophy and the game has frozen on me no less than five times in less than 30 minutes >.<

Stoze

Finished it, I enjoyed it. Non-spoilery thoughts on the ending:
The final twist made me say "whoa" at first, but after thinking about it for a minute it's pretty much completely inconsequential. It's not really a strong cliff hanger going forward, and dosen't change what has happened or the motivations behind characters' actions.

About the whole season; the setting and characters are really awesome and the dialogue is much better written and more entertaining than what was in TWD season 1. The plot feels a little thin and misguided though, and the season overall hurts from having a couple really short last episodes. There definitely feels like a difference in quality between episodes 1 & 2 and the final 3. Thinking back on it, episode 1 is nearly perfect, and had it kept up that quality it would have been unbelievably good.

Overall though I really liked TWAU and will probably end up reading the comics because of it, the whole concept and setting never ceased to be interesting to me. Telltale needs to step up their game though, the stuttering on consoles is pretty abysmal at times, and the animations are janky as fuck. I think great animation and smooth transitions between action/qte scenes and dialogue scenes would sell the character interactions and emotional impact of what's going on a lot more. Kind of a pipe dream considering all they have on their plate, but one can hope.

Replicant

I forgot to say that I LOVE "The Wolf Among Us" more than "The Walking Dead". If TellTale wants to make S2 or release that S1 disc version for PS4, I'll support them on both fronts. Bigby's lone wolf thing really speaks to me and makes him so easy to relate to.

MattyG

Banned
I decided to buy the season pass today and (try to) marathon all the episodes. I just finished episode 4 and
that cigarette light was the perfect way to end it.
So glad I hit X. I can't wait to play Cry Wolf tomorrow.

I decided to buy the season pass today and (try to) marathon all the episodes. I just finished episode 4 and
that cigarette light was the perfect way to end it.
So glad I hit X. I can't wait to play Cry Wolf tomorrow.

When I played, that choice only had like 30% of the vote, which is insane to me. It was the perfect option.

remnant

Banned
I think people are focusing to much on Nerissa's last statement and not on the overall scene. One of the major themes of Fables is the criticism of bureaucracy
and how a class based society of fables contributes to it
and that was a great example of it. In fact this game is choked full of great symbolism and visual storeytelling.

So the ending:
So was it Nerissa all along glamoured as Faith, meeting Bigby. Faith was dead all along?That's the big revelation
?

Yes, it was Nerissa who set up Faith.

People are right back to lining up outside Snow's office and fables with glamour are being forced to leave. Same as usual. The dialogue ended with the idea that maybe Bigby and Snow could do better, but why would they.

I finished it last night, it was fantastic.... except for the random bug that I had happen right after
I had Crooked Man going to Jail.

The next day pops up, and Collin is walking out of the elevator with Beer. All the decisions have "This is a Blank choice" or whatever next to them. As the scene keeps going with Flycatcher and everyone else, it keeps having that as the choices pop up.

Then as Snow hands me keys it cuts. I thought that was the end of the game. Then it takes me back to the fight scene from the beginning episode with Dee and Dum, Jersey and Mary and Georgie. Georgie turns invisible when he picks up the knife, and attacks me. Dee's gun flies up in the air and I die as the window glass break while Dum is holding me while Invisible Georgie is about to stab me... It was really weird. Then once it said you died, it restarted me to "The next Morning" and I continued to the end.

Replicant

I think people are focusing to much on Nerissa's last statement and not on the overall scene. One of the major themes of Fables is the criticism of bureaucracy
and that was a great example of it. In fact this game is choked full of great symbolism and visual storeytelling.

It really is. The whole story was basically about how people in position of power tend to abuse that power to an extent
and Bigby and Snow are not immune to it. They have their eyes wide shut to some of the shenanigans that Bigby often do because it's in the name of 'justice and peace'. I mean Bigby even bend the rules for Colin because Colin is his friend. So how does this make them different from the Crooked Man apart from the fact that Bigby may not have taken it as far as him and do not harm innocent individuals. And for that matter, because everyone is so busy trying to survive, they end up manipulating others to continue to survive (ie. Nerissa).

It really is. The whole story was basically about how people in position of power tend to abuse that power to an extent
and Bigby and Snow are not immune to it. They have their eyes wide shut to some of the shenanigans that Bigby often do because it's in the name of 'justice and peace'. I mean Bigby even bend the rules for Colin because Colin is his friend. So how does this make them different from the Crooked Man apart from the fact that Bigby may not have taken it as far as him and do not harm innocent individuals. And for that matter, because everyone is so busy trying to survive, they end up manipulating others to continue to survive (ie. Nerissa).

To be fair one of the options with Collin throughout the game is to tell him
the rules are the rules and he needs to gtfo
. Heck in the comics
bigby straight up tells him this, even if they are friends. But in the comics they don't seem as close as in here

It's not so much hypocrisy by the characters as realism. They're trying their best in a society that was formed out of necessity. Their best is not necessarily the best for everyone but chances are no one else is more qualified for the job than they are. Just like with governments out the books activities need to happen to keep shit running at an ok pace.

If anything I'm glad the game and the comic for that matter demonstrates that the life of the government/law workers is shitty for the most part and made everything tones of gray. Very little black and white outside of a few wide eyed innocent characters.

I'm probably end getting the disc version of TWAU for PS4 when it's cheap enough.

I guess DLC for the game is not out of the question? (something like 400 days).

PaulloDEC

Just beat the game.

Oh boy. Can't wait for season two.

Same here, just moments ago. As much as I enjoyed The Walking Dead, this kind of story is much more my speed than the zombie apocalypse. Really enjoyed all the characters, and (with the exception of the
confusing ending
) I found the storytelling to be really strong.

Looking forward to playing more!

Van Owen

Banned

Yes, it was Nerissa who set up Faith.

People are right back to lining up outside Snow's office and fables with glamour are being forced to leave. Same as usual. The dialogue ended with the idea that maybe Bigby and Snow could do better, but why would they.

NO WAY

I'm telling you, it was Faith that set up Narissa! Faith in ep 1 is real faith during Woody meeting, then she is glamored as Narissa for the rest of the series.

To much evidence pointing to this, like never being able to run tests on the body, Faith's fable, Bibgy's option to chase after her, etc.

Plus Narissa/Faith gets REALLY upset if you try to mess with her ribbon during the final scene, so I think that must have something to do with it too.

AmuroChan

I enjoyed TWAU quite a bit, more so than TWD S2 (so far). At the end I chose
to let Nerissa go, but does anything different happen if I go after her?

Also, thoughts on where they could go with the story in season 2?

stn

Someone mind explaining how Bigby
figured out the plot twist regarding Nessia? I was playing late and half-asleep when it happened, didn't pay attention enough.

Peff

figured out the plot twist regarding Nessia? I was playing late and half-asleep when it happened, didn't pay attention enough.

She sees Bigby off with the same line Faith does in episode one, which then makes the rest of the pieces of the puzzle fit together

NO WAY

I'm telling you, it was Faith that set up Narissa! Faith in ep 1 is real faith during Woody meeting, then she is glamored as Narissa for the rest of the series.

Yeah, that's pretty obviously the case. It's a typical noir story twist, like in Laura for instance, but it's not really feasible in the context of what happened earlier without some convoluted explanation. Chalk it up to different directors/writers for episode 2, I guess.

hbkdx12

Basically because Nerissa says the
"your not as bad as everyone says" line that faith said in the beginning of the series. It's suppose to be this crazy keyzor soze moment but it just feels meh considering all the other stuff he starts shooting off in his head don't even cleanly make the connection that Nerissa is Faith or vice versa, they just kind of play on the suspicion that she might be

For people that believe that Nerissa glamoured herself as Faith to get Bigby's attraction/attention, how would she have even known that she was even going to meet Bigby that night that she was with Woodsman? Bigby only showed up because of toad calling him.

Van Owen

Banned
Yeah, that's pretty obviously the case. It's a typical noir story twist, like in Laura for instance, but it's not really feasible in the context of what happened earlier without some convoluted explanation. Chalk it up to different directors/writers for episode 2, I guess.

It's a video game based on a comic book based on fairy tales of course it's convoluted.

Peff

It's a video game based on a comic book based on fairy tales of course it's convoluted.

Well, not really, outside of that part the rest is very by-the-books. The twist implies
there is a switcheroo between Nerissa and Faith, who glamour themselves as each other for whatever reason before Nerissa is killed by Georgie

The ending was good but I still think the game started out too slowly. Also, by the time I had the final conversation I lost track of who did what and why.

Overall, my impression of the game is 'meh'. I didn't find it as engaging as The Walking Dead.

(Ending spoilers)
Upon further consideration, I suppose the ending twist means it has to be Faith, because then it would explain a lot of previous Episode stuff, like the huge focus on the Donkeyskin fable. The greatest piece of evidence in support of this is that it is exactly what Donkeyskin did to avoid a terrible fate in her own fable, revealed in Episode 2 (I think). It would also explain why Nerissa was so reluctant to talk about her own fable when Bigby was asking about it, which Faith would have zero intimate knowledge of. Plus, Faith seemed more important than just a throwaway death, considering all the focus on her and her life. Nerissa had zero of that focus.

For the glamour, I believe it was mentioned that more professional glamours could last a long time, it was only the cheap/black market nature of Lily's that made it wear off so soon. They could also explain it away as one of Faith's, or even Nerissa's, powers down the road.

I never saved Faith's boyfriend, so I'm probably missing some stuff. But, I think his presence and existence is more evidence in support of Faith's survival.

If only Bigby was a real detective, with real forensic investigation, then that clothing sample from Episode 1 could tell us whether it was Faith or Nerissa that dropped off the head, and ergo who it was at the end of Episode 5.

(AGH, BIGBY! Why are you such a screw-up...)

I suppose Telltale could realistically make it happen either way, depending on what they want to do with Season 2. It's probably why they set up the reveal the way they did

Think about it, you guys! It all fits together.

Yo do realize it's not Bigby's fault he doesn't have a CSI team right? Detectives don't do their own lab tests. He's pretty competent for somebody with no formal training and using largely his instincts and observation skills. It's made more obvious with his first case in the comics.

(Ending spoilers)
Upon further consideration, I suppose the ending twist means it has to be Faith, because then it would explain a lot of previous Episode stuff, like the huge focus on the Donkeyskin fable. The greatest piece of evidence in support of this is that it is exactly what Donkeyskin did to avoid a terrible fate in her own fable, revealed in Episode 2 (I think). It would also explain why Nerissa was so reluctant to talk about her own fable when Bigby was asking about it, which Faith would have zero intimate knowledge of. Plus, Faith seemed more important than just a throwaway death, considering all the focus on her and her life. Nerissa had zero of that focus.

For the glamour, I believe it was mentioned that more professional glamours could last a long time, it was only the cheap/black market nature of Lily's that made it wear off so soon. They could also explain it away as one of Faith's, or even Nerissa's, powers down the road.

I never saved Faith's boyfriend, so I'm probably missing some stuff. But, I think his presence and existence is more evidence in support of Faith's survival.

If only Bigby was a real detective, with real forensic investigation, then that clothing sample from Episode 1 could tell us whether it was Faith or Nerissa that dropped off the head, and ergo who it was at the end of Episode 5.

(AGH, BIGBY! Why are you such a screw-up...)

I suppose Telltale could realistically make it happen either way, depending on what they want to do with Season 2. It's probably why they set up the reveal the way they did

Think about it, you guys! It all fits together.

Wouldn't it have to be a glamour from floor 13 though? For it to be perfect and last that long?
I was under the impression that Nerissa was Faith at the start of the game and that she did that because at that point Faith was already dead.
That way she introduced Faith to Bigby and then revealed to him that she was dead.
I dunno, I agree that Faith seemed to be too important to just get a few minutes of screen time but unless there's a season 2 where she could indeed play a bigger role it's irrelevant in the end.

Wouldn't it have to be a glamour from floor 13 though? For it to be perfect and last that long?
I was under the impression that Nerissa was Faith at the start of the game and that she did that because at that point Faith was already dead.
That way she introduced Faith to Bigby and then revealed to him that she was dead.
I dunno, I agree that Faith seemed to be too important to just get a few minutes of screen time but unless there's a season 2 where she could indeed play a bigger role it's irrelevant in the end.
(Season 1 spoilers)
Faith's introduction to Bigby was by accident at first, because of the Huntsman making trouble in that apartment. IIRC Bigby was only there to begin with because of Toad's failure to glamour himself. Because of this, I can't imagine that it was a planned meeting by either Nerissa or Faith.

Speak of Faith, she was there to get something to blackmail Crane with, wasn't she? I don't remember at all...

As to the glamour, the source of it could be anything, really. Especially after what they pulled with Snow's apparent death.

I can't really explain how Nerissa would have been glamoured as Faith and then died.. so.. um.. yeah. The only possible explanation in that case would be Faith killing Nerissa and then glamouring her after death... but that wouldn't explain why the bar guy would admit to killing her and Lily both, then.
My theory isn't perfect. :(

Van Owen

Banned
I can't really explain how Nerissa would have been glamoured as Faith and then died.. so.. um.. yeah. The only possible explanation in that case would be Faith killing Nerissa and then glamouring her after death... but that wouldn't explain why the bar guy would admit to killing her and Lily both, then.
My theory isn't perfect. :([/spoiler]

Could have been something as simple as Faith finding out they were going to kill her, and then asking Narissa to cover for her for a client.

(Season 1 spoilers)
Faith's introduction to Bigby was by accident at first, because of the Huntsman making trouble in that apartment. IIRC Bigby was only there to begin with because of Toad's failure to glamour himself. Because of this, I can't imagine that it was a planned meeting by either Nerissa or Faith.

Speak of Faith, she was there to get something to blackmail Crane with, wasn't she? I don't remember at all...

As to the glamour, the source of it could be anything, really. Especially after what they pulled with Snow's apparent death.

My theory isn't perfect. :(

Yeah, I forgot that they're meeting was accidental.
And she was definitely after the money, I don't see a reason for that to be Nerissa instead of the real Faith.

Van Owen, fix the spoiler tags. DON'T MAKE ME THAT GUY!

Yeah, I forgot that they're meeting was accidental.
And she was definitely after the money, I don't see a reason for that to be Nerissa instead of the real Faith.
(Season 1 spoilers)
Money? For an expensive, long-lasting, high-quality glamour.
Every puzzle piece is falling into place.

Van Owen, fix the spoiler tags. DON'T MAKE ME THAT GUY!

(Season 1 spoilers)
Money? For an expensive, long-lasting, high-quality glamour.
Every puzzle piece is falling into place.

I just watched the conversation with Faith and the final scene with Nerissa back to back. So obviously they're implying that it's the same person in both scenes but I really don't see what that changes, the plot works perfectly fine without that twist.
The only difference is that Faith gets to survive instead of Nerissa.
So for me it's like this:
At the start it's the real Faith.
At the end Nerissa says she watched Georgie kill Faith but if Faith is still alive that means Georgie actually killed Nerissa. That would mean Georgie would have to know about Faith assuming Nerissa's identity after her death. This doesn't make sense though since he killed Faith specifically because she was the one that stole the picture. And wouldn't he have mentioned that when he died?
Assuming I'm missing something here, that means that Faith glamoured into Nerissa while everyone else thought she was dead and then carried out the plan of bringing the whole thing to Bigby's attention. She glamoured Nerissa to look like her and delivered Nerissa's head at the spot where it was found.
In the end she gets to walk away without anyone realizing she's still alive.

Alec

I just watched the conversation with Faith and the final scene with Nerissa back to back. So obviously they're implying that it's the same person in both scenes but I really don't see what that changes, the plot works perfectly fine without that twist.
The only difference is that Faith gets to survive instead of Nerissa.
So for me it's like this:
At the start it's the real Faith.
At the end Nerissa says she watched Georgie kill Faith but if Faith is still alive that means Georgie actually killed Nerissa. That would mean Georgie would have to know about Faith assuming Nerissa's identity after her death. This doesn't make sense though since he killed Faith specifically because she was the one that stole the picture. And wouldn't he have mentioned that when he died?
Assuming I'm missing something here, that means that Faith glamoured into Nerissa while everyone else thought she was dead and then carried out the plan of bringing the whole thing to Bigby's attention. She glamoured Nerissa to look like her and delivered Nerissa's head at the spot where it was found.
In the end she gets to walk away without anyone realizing she's still alive.

The only thing I'm having trouble reconciling with this theory is
Faith would've had to have glamoured Nerissa without her knowledge in order to trick Georgie into killing her, right?

The only thing I'm having trouble reconciling with this theory is
Faith would've had to have glamoured Nerissa without her knowledge in order to trick Georgie into killing her, right?

The problem is that supposedly they were all in the same room when it happened, Georgie, Faith, Nerissa and Lily.
So nobody was glamoured at that point or else Georgie would be seeing a double.
Regardless, he killed one of them and he would know if one of the others assumed the identity of the one he killed.

Top Bottom