• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

So just to feel less alone here;
Im not the only one who found the finale to season 1 a rushed and lame sequence of events that brushed so many characters and prior choices to side only to not even have an ending, and rather just... stop.

Right?

Im not the only one who found the finale to season 1 a rushed and lame sequence of events that brushed so many characters and prior choices to side only to not even have an ending, and rather just... stop.

Right?
Nope. I liked the twist at the end. But everything else was underwhelming.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
I just let her go at the end, I don't think it really matters that much is she was Faith the whole time or just glamoured as Faith at the beginning.
Although I think that whole revelation was really badly done, it was far too subtle.

Phamit

Quiet a good ending, but things bugs me:

the first time I played the last part of the Episode, it was totally bugged, camera was broken and all decisions said "this decision is blanket " not really immersive

I was really pissed i couldnt give toad the money from crane's jacket, so he could buy glamours ( maybe if you took the money from the drums too? dont believe it though)

Also i wanted to say to Georgie " Hey, lets go to swineheart, because you can be a important witness, fucker" but lets talk to the person with open belly. The decision to kill him immediately was meh too, cause he is dying because you opened his belly with the knife

the first time I played the last part of the Episode, it was totally bugged, camera was broken and all decisions said "this decision is blanket " not really immersive

I was really pissed i couldnt give toad the money from crane's jacket, so he could buy glamours ( maybe if you took the money from the drums too? dont believe it though)

Also i wanted to say to Georgie " Hey, lets go to swineheart, because you can be a important witness, fucker" but lets talk to the person with open belly. The decision to kill him immediately was meh too, cause he is dying because you opened his belly with the knife
Yeah thats what I mean with prior choices not meaning shit.
I mean Walking Dead Season 1 was pretty rail-roaded at times too, but NEVER on the level this game is with it borderline making most decisions irrelevant.
My favorite is how killing Dum or not means absolutely nothing.
Like how.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member

He goes to the farm even if you give him money.

He goes to the farm even if you give him money.
It actually pissed me off when I found this out.

I just let her go at the end, I don't think it really matters that much is she was Faith the whole time or just glamoured as Faith at the beginning.
Although I think that whole revelation was really badly done, it was far too subtle.
Yeah I think Telltale wanted you to think about that ending or some nonsense, but there REALLY isnt much to think about. It was Faith and she planned the whole thing... Thats uh... neat? Doesnt really change much at all.
All it does is maybe imply that she was pulling your strings the entire time, meaning that you actually didnt solve shit all. In which case, fuck you telltale.

Guess we shouldn't really be suprised our choices don't matter that much.
I was hoping considering I signed up to play an interactive game where half of the gameplay that isnt dumb QTEs or investigating the area is making choices, by a company that advertises the shit out of how "your choices matter", but fuck me I guess. Enjoy the slightly above average writing and shitty outdated engine instead.

hbkdx12

Did they give any reason why they put out episode 5 for TWAU as oppose to leap frogging with TWD episode 4 like they have in the past couple months?

Man, some of you can be really negative.
I really enjoyed my time with it, 7 euros well spent.
I'll be there for a season 2 if it ever happens.

Was I the only one surprised that it
really was Georgie who killed them:? When Crooked Man said it so easily/nonchalantly and seeing the reactions, it looked like Georgie was being set up as the fall guy. Then he confesses and I was like "what he really did do it?"

really was Georgie who killed them:? When Crooked Man said it so easily/nonchalantly and seeing the reactions, it looked like Georgie was being set up as the fall guy. Then he confesses and I was like "what he really did do it?"

Considering the circumstances I don't see why it's so surprising, besides, he's one of the CM's henchmen so it doesn't come out of nowhere.

I was hoping considering I signed up to play an interactive game where half of the gameplay that isnt dumb QTEs or investigating the area is making choices, by a company that advertises the shit out of how "your choices matter", but fuck me I guess. Enjoy the slightly above average writing and shitty outdated engine instead.

Maybe they could have done a better job making your choices matter, but being part of an established universe and already declared canon, there had to be limits to what you could do.

I am sometimes confused when people say that their choices don't matter. These games, and games like them, have always been a guided narrative where your choices do matter within the game world. I
killed Dum
for instance, and while it might not have been this huge bulletpoint that sends you on a wildly different path, it made me feel differently about the character I was playing and how other characters perceived me. Of course if you peek behind the curtain at the game and see that whether or not you do X or Y you end up at the same conclusion you will realize it's all sort of a charade - Telltale has a story they want to tell, and while you might work out some of the details for them there are narrative beats they want to hit on no matter what.

The Walking Dead season 1 ending is a great example.
If you don't choose to steal the food in episode 2, the strangers reasoning for coming after you seems really dumb and doesn't make much sense compared to if you take the food. Why target you and Clementine when you clearly objected to stealing from him?

Kimaka

That scene with Georgie and Vivian was annoying. I don't give a shit about two pimps in love and their sob story. Just die already so I can catch the Crooked Man.

The fight with Bloodly Mary was underwhelming. She looked cool but I was disappointed that she died so easily. When she first showed up she used a gun with silver bullets that almost destroyed Bigby. Why not use one then? And Bigby is an adorable wolf. He's like a giant puppy.

The trial had me really worried for a moment. I thought the Fable citizens would have sided with the Crooked Man since Bigby had no evidence. It would have been better if Nerissa didn't show up to give me an out and erase all of that tension I felt. But it was still better than the Walking Dead's confrontation where the guy could not make a convincing argument if you took the 'good' choices.

I'm sorry Toad and TJ. I wish Bigby could have yelled at Snow about that.

I was so happy at the ending. Faith/Nerissa is so much better than Snow.

Please be a Season 2. The world and characters are more interesting to me than TWD and I like being a grizzled detective.

Maybe they could have done a better job making your choices matter, but being part of an established universe and already declared canon, there had to be limits to what you could do.
Of course, but there were still plenty of little things that didnt end up mattering they couldve managed to fit in there. Most of the limitations Ive seen seemed self inflicted almost. Like they were too careful, or too lazy.

iNvid02

yeah some of the animation was a bit off, it really looked like he was
doing a wink nod im the guy you want, and then all of a sudden its serious

really enjoyed it though, its right up there with the walking dead for me. i hope they find more stories to tell

I am sometimes confused when people say that their choices don't matter. These games, and games like them, have always been a guided narrative where your choices do matter within the game world. I
killed Dum
for instance, and while it might not have been this huge bulletpoint that sends you on a wildly different path, it made me feel differently about the character I was playing and how other characters perceived me.
How

Tell me how that made you feel different. Did the game do that, or you to yourself?

Show which character treated you remotely different for more than one scene or piece of dialogue.

Eh, I still don't like prequels. And this was just a mundane (mundy if you will) detective story with occasional QTE monster fights. I like the characters, but more than anything the story was just so narrow and... Pointless feeling really.

I wouldn't mind a Series 2, but honestly it could just as well not happen.

Eh, I still don't like prequels. And this was just a mundane (mundy if you will) detective story with occasional QTE monster fights. I like the characters, but more than anything the story was just so narrow and... Pointless feeling really.
THIS

Thank god Im not alone with feeling this. I feel like I played an 8 hour advertisement for Season 2/the Novels.

DukeBobby

Just finished it. Not quite as good as I was expecting, but still a satisfying finale.

I
threw the Crooked Man down the well. I was going to imprison him, but then the fucker attacked me. My Bigby was a complete arsehole in this game. I'm surprised everyone still liked me at end.

I wasn't a big fan of the
Bloody Mary fight (it seems like everyone here agrees on that). Bigby's final form looked cool, but the fight went on for far too long. The whole thing looked very poor too. It felt rushed.

Not sure what to think of the ending yet.
Narissa was really Faith? Umm...okay then, not really what I was expecting. I think I'll have to replay the series again.

Overall, I liked it more than The Walking Dead. If I had to rank the episodes, I would say 1>3>5>4>2

Audioboxer

Just finished it. Not quite as good as I was expecting, but still a satisfying finale.

I
threw the Crooked Man down the well. I was going to imprison him, but then the fucker attacked me. My Bigby was a complete arsehole in this game. I'm surprised everyone still liked me at end.

I wasn't a big fan of the
Bloody Mary fight (it seems like everyone here agrees on that). Bigby's final form looked cool, but the fight went on for far too long. The whole thing looked very poor too. It felt rushed.

Not sure what to think of the ending yet.
Narissa was really Faith? Umm...okay then, not really what I was expecting. I think I'll have to replay the series again.

Overall, I liked it more than The Walking Dead. If I had to rank the episodes, I would say 1>3>5>4>2

You done it wrong then,
killing him outright when you meet him is the way to go
:p

Surprisingly hardly any players done that. Think it was only me and 20 odd % of others when I finished the episode earlier.

DukeBobby

You done it wrong then,
killing him outright when you meet him is the way to go
:p

Surprisingly hardly any players done that. Think it was only me and 20 odd % of others when I finished the episode earlier.

Oh, you can do that?

Well, time to play it again.

Nzyme32

I loved that they did it like that. I actually had to pause for thought rather than be spoon fed like in the majority of other games. Because I determined it on my own from what was given, it felt much more meaningful than if it was just plopped out

Asbear

Banned
I loved that it was subtle... but I actually wish it was MORE subtle.
Maybe Nerissa should've just said the "you're not as bad as everyone says you are" line
and then leave it to the player to figure it out instead of shoving the fact that there was something important about that statement down your throat. I felt like the choice at the end was just superficial and stylish stuff that kind of broke the tone the ending had previously been going for.

It was good closure, but I felt like the ending forgot about Crane and Snow. Why did we get that thing from Toad's kid to give to Snow and then we don't get some more closure with where Bigby and Snow stand. I mean, maybe that was the point since Snow's and Bigby's relationship had changed so it would be unfitting for some heart-to-heart closure between the two, but IDK.

I loved that it was subtle... but I actually wish it was MORE subtle.
Maybe Nerissa should've just said the "you're not as bad as everyone says you are" line
and then leave it to the player to figure it out instead of shoving the fact that there was something important about that statement down your throat. I felt like the choice at the end was just superficial and stylish stuff that kind of broke the tone the ending had previously been going for.

It was good closure, but I felt like the ending forgot about Crane and Snow. Why did we get that thing from Toad's kid to give to Snow and then we don't get some more closure with where Bigby and Snow stand. I mean, maybe that was the point since Snow's and Bigby's relationship had changed so it would be unfitting for some heart-to-heart closure between the two, but IDK.
Have you read the comics? It very much sets up the state of affairs in Issue 1.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Bigby is nit affected by silver bullets in his full wolf form
[
That scene with Georgie and Vivian was annoying. I don't give a shit about two pimps in love and their sob story. Just die already so I can catch the Crooked Man.

The fight with Bloodly Mary was underwhelming. She looked cool but I was disappointed that she died so easily. When she first showed up she used a gun with silver bullets that almost destroyed Bigby. Why not use one then? And Bigby is an adorable wolf. He's like a giant puppy.

The trial had me really worried for a moment. I thought the Fable citizens would have sided with the Crooked Man since Bigby had no evidence. It would have been better if Nerissa didn't show up to give me an out and erase all of that tension I felt. But it was still better than the Walking Dead's confrontation where the guy could not make a convincing argument if you took the 'good' choices.

I'm sorry Toad and TJ. I wish Bigby could have yelled at Snow about that.

I was so happy at the ending. Faith/Nerissa is so much better than Snow.

Please be a Season 2. The world and characters are more interesting to me than TWD and I like being a grizzled detective.

PranooY

So the ending:
So was it Nerissa all along glamoured as Faith, meeting Bigby. Faith was dead all along?That's the big revelation
?

Also I'm missing one book of fables entry after Pudding and pie entry. Any ideas?

Card Boy

Banned
The Bigby in the game is much weaker than the comics. With the Red Riding hood incident I think the woodsman cut his belly and filed it stones and he was put into a river. It took Bigby afew weeks to pass the stones and he was able to breath underwater the whole time. Not a spoiler it's just something mentioned in the comics early on.

Man, I don't know what to do with the Crooked Man. I kind of want to imprison him, but chucking him down the Well doesn't sound too bad either.

I
threw him down the well. To me it was a form of imprisonment.

I was totally fine with killing the Crooked Man and pissing off Snow. The part that made me feel like a total piece of shit was not being able to help TJ stay =(. And even though Snow is the one sending him away he still wanted me to give her a gift.. fuckkkk. So sorry TJ!

I did the same. I was expecting the send away to be
you send them away while the investigation happens, then they come back once it's solved.
Was hoping that's how it worked. But nope!

Where can I buy the actual comics in the UK? I would love to own them.

Waterstones are currently selling them or check Forbidden Planet in London.

Edit: I've not seen anyone talk about this (and I've just read the previous 4 pages) but it's about your end of episode choices. But there's a very specific line referenced at the end that has me questioning: apparently I was in the 20% that said
"I just hope I've done something good"
(something a long those lines). What was the meaning of that? What did other people pick and why is this important?

Any news on when the PS4 version might come? Tempted to jump in on Steam for $12.50 but if it's not too long of a wait I think I'd hold off for that release.

Phamit

The Bigby in the game is much weaker than the comics. With the Red Riding hood incident I think the woodsman cut his belly and filed it stones and he was put into a river. It took Bigby afew weeks to pass the stones and he was able to breath underwater the whole time. Not a spoiler it's just something mentioned in the comics early on.

Its also mentioned in the last bigby entry in the book of fables, that he can hold his breath for a time

rawktapus

Right?

For me the biggest problem I had with the finale, and the season in general was
the lack of actual detective work being part of the gameplay. I mean, I walked around and talked to people, but there was almost no puzzle solving, or meaningful interactions with clues/interrogations. I finally thought we were gonna see some of that with the Crooked Man's trial, but NOPE! just some last minute hearsay and then cart him off to jail!

That supposed reveal at the end just confused the hell out of me. I had no idea what the game was getting at, so I had to resort to the internet for an explanation. Hardly Usual Suspect levels of twist gloriousness there.

Right?
For me the biggest problem I had with the finale, and the season in general was
the lack of actual detective work being part of the gameplay. I mean, I walked around and talked to people, but there was almost no puzzle solving, or meaningful interactions with clues/interrogations. I finally thought we were gonna see some of that with the Crooked Man's trial, but NOPE! just some last minute hearsay and then cart him off to jail!

I think it's the best you can expect from Telltale, which is why no one is mentioning it in particular.

For the record, I agree with you both, but I think the only fix is
for them to drop the episodic structure and focus on larger, multi-game storylines with expanded scope and (vastly) expanded budget. It's one reason why I'm so interested in Walking Dead Season 2, I really hope they can manage to make it feel like the next chapter of my adventures, instead of an entirely separate game. (Hopefully TWD Season 2 is 75% off when Ep 5 releases!)

rawktapus

That supposed reveal at the end just confused the hell out of me. I had no idea what the game was getting at, so I had to resort to the internet for an explanation. Hardly Usual Suspect levels of twist gloriousness there.

Yeah, I got the twist, but I didn't understand the point or significance of it. It was more like being told that coffee you just drank was actually Folgers' crystals.

Top Bottom