• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Worst Events in Comic Book History

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I jsut realized no

71PithyctZL.jpg
A series that was "Haha women" didn't make the list?

I jsut realized no

A series that was "Haha women" didn't make the list?

God it was so profoundly creepy.

Rape is not a fucking plot device. What makes it even worse is that it all meant literally nothing. So all that disgusting "lol women right?" shit was utterly without any narrative meaning at all.

Slayven

God it was so profoundly creepy.

Rape is not a fucking plot device. What makes it even worse is that it all meant literally nothing. So all that disgusting "lol women right?" shit was utterly without any narrative meaning at all.

It was gross that for like a year afterwards Dr. Light would pop in books like Kramer just for them to make a rape joke

adj_noun

Oh, man. They brought up Lobo vs boneclaw Wolverine.

Well, I've moved on from that. I ain't still mad about how dumb that was all these years later.

No sir!

Ha! Ha! Ha!

:mad:

Garlador

The hell? Amalgam Universe was awesome!

And Superior Spider-man was intentionally bizarre to the point of being utterly enjoyable from start to finish. No way is that anywhere near "the worst" of anything.

One More Day should be WAY higher. I STILL froth at the mouth with rage whenever I think about that event.

Patryn

Describing Amalgam as a monstrosity?

A bunch of those books were really fun and light. Dude just hates fun.

I'd move some stuff around, but the only thing I'd take off the list is Infinite Crisis. Mostly because Identity Crisis really deserves to be on here, and also because Infinite was basically pure dumb fun that gave us some pretty great things down the line.

Stalk

How the hell does Superior rank that high, It was damn fun for what it was. I don't like Slott that much but hell.

I can fall in line with Civil War II though.

SOLDIER

One More Day should be number 1.

It is the ultimate personification of the conceit that no matter how many years are spent developing a popular comic book character forward, things will eventually be undone and rebooted because Status Quo must be upheld no matter what.

Marriages will crumble, dead characters will come back to life, villains who turn good will turn into villains again, and don't even get started with the children of superheroes (won't somebody THINK of the children!?).

And the excuse is almost always "but we can't alienate the new fans!".

To put into perspective, Dragon Ball is one of the most popular manga (and anime) in the whole world. It's a long-running series that started with its protagonist as a young boy and ended (at first) with him being a grandfather.

And they've never had to reboot it. Not once.

ctrl-f Identity Crisis
ctrl-f Civil War
crtl-f House of M
crtl-f Planet/World War Hulk

Not a list I agree much with. Also Marvel vs DC was fine. Nothing special, but it doesn't belong on a list like this.

Well Marrow had 2 hearts. And latter got to sleep with Spider Man, she came out ok.

Where is Teen Tony MR. Poolman?

On our hearts. Never forget.

How come Age of Ultron dodged this whole "worst event" bullet???
It was pointless, stupid, the villain unresolved and only brought Galactus to the Ultimate U.

dh4niel

Ultimatum was some of the most awful shit I've ever read. I really enjoyed Onslaught and Superior Spider-Man though.

One More Day should be number 1.

It is the ultimate personification of the conceit that no matter how many years are spent developing a popular comic book character forward, things will eventually be undone and rebooted because Status Quo must be upheld no matter what.

Marriages will crumble, dead characters will come back to life, villains who turn good will turn into villains again, and don't even get started with the children of superheroes (won't somebody THINK of the children!?).

And the excuse is almost always "but we can't alienate the new fans!".

To put into perspective, Dragon Ball is one of the most popular manga (and anime) in the whole world. It's a long-running series that started with its protagonist as a young boy and ended (at first) with him being a grandfather.

And they've never had to reboot it. Not once.

To be fair, DBZ is more akin to the creator-owned indie market in that, it has an ending. Marvel and DC want stories to continue forever with the same characters that never age.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What a dumb list (as most lists are).

No Fear Itself? No Axis? No Civil War 1?

Superior Spider-Man is both awesome and not an event.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Well Marrow had 2 hearts. And latter got to sleep with Spider Man, she came out ok.

Where is Teen Tony MR. Poolman?

I think marvel would rather people forget the crossing and armor wars. Especially since I'm surprised that they aren't working on the latter in some form

And then later had a doomed romance with him.
Jubilee and Tim should just be sent to limbo together at this point, they could live happily ever after.

That's why jlavengers 2 needs to happen.

Thinking more about it, AvX, Shadowland, Age of Ultron or World War Hulk are worse than half that list (I already mentioned Axis and Identity Crisis earlier).

SOLDIER

To be fair, DBZ is more akin to the creator-owned indie market in that, it has an ending. Marvel and DC want stories to continue forever with the same characters that never age.

Which, frankly, is the biggest mistake Western comics continue to make.

It's why I utterly loved Ultimate Spider-Man, which rebooted things in its own self contained universe (at first) that didn't undo its major character developments and especially didn't undo its major deaths (again, at first).

Hearing that USM no longer exists and that Miles is just "Spider-Man no. 1422133" depresses the hell out of me.

Where is Rotworld? Or is that not large enough to be considered an event?

On the flip side, are there even enough good events to make a '10 best' list?

Ultimatum is the absolute worst, but Civil War II damn near destroyed all my interest in Marvel Comics.

The worst part of CWII is that it was completely pointless. Something that was easily and entirely avoidable from jump. And that lead to absolutely no real long term ramifications other than a few legacy characters getting some shine for the year or two they have before they get replaced.

Remember when Kitty and Wesley Crusher fell in love?

Lol, I never actually read that even though I did come across the novelization at some point. Kitty + Wesley, I can live with that. Did they ever address the Picard / Xavier / Patrick Stewart resemblance?

Garlador

Which is self-defeating, especially when they already have kid-friendly, child versions of their popular characters in existence at the same time.

Seriously, just look at Batman and Superman.

Do people like Batman less, even though he has a 10 year old, biological son (among other adopted children who have grown up)? Do people think Superman is "less interesting" if he's a family man married to Lois with his own child?

I mean, Batman isn't exactly a "young hip crimefighter" or anything... he's old and grizzled. His initial Robin aged over a decade and became Nightwing. And yet readers have never seemed to mind his age one tiny bit.

But Spider-man having a kid and being a family man - which is a PERFECT evolution for "great power comes great responsibility" - for some reason, that's off-limits? Blows my mind.

Well, at the very least, "Renew Your Vows" is still a thing, and Spider-Girl with Mayday justified it was a great idea.

... Words still can't describe how much I hate "One More Day". That's a wound that's never going to heal right.

LosDaddie

Banned
I'm reading through the major events now, and Fear Itself was probably the most boring one I've read recently. AvX was fun. I liked Civil War 2.

Currently reading the DC 1 Million omnibus and some of the tie-in issues are horrible. Young Justice and Legionnaires tie-ins....ugh.

Onslaught is the worst?? I loved that stroyline

Onslaught was awesome. Fuck the haters.

I'm going to read the Onslaught omnibus soon. I'm expecting pure 90s craziness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom