• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Worst Events in Comic Book History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is Rotworld? Or is that not large enough to be considered an event?

On the flip side, are there even enough good events to make a '10 best' list?
Literally off the top of my head ten good events (I'll stop when I've reached 10):
- Secret Wars 2015
- Final Crisis
- Sinestro Corps War
- Mutant Massacre
- Fall of the Mutants
- Infinity Gauntlet
- Annihilation
- Annihilation Conquest
- Messiah Complex
- Spider Island

Some might be limited crossovers rather than linewide, but I consider all of them events.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Man, I enjoyed Amalgam back in the day and still enjoy it now.

I'd love for another round.

Secret Wars II was the first event I ever followed. All the kids who read comics were into it so I went along because I was a dumb elementary school kid. Even then I remember not understanding why the Beyonder was the most powerful thing ever and looked like a regular guy.

Garlador

How the hell is identity crisis not on this list

And flashpoint shouldn't be on it

Identity Crisis should definitely be on the list...
suedibny.jpg

Just... just... despicable.

kswiston

Literally off the top of my head ten good events (I'll stop when I've reached 10):
- Secret Wars 2015
- Final Crisis
- Sinestro Corps War
- Mutant Massacre
- Fall of the Mutants
- Infinity Gauntlet
- Annihilation
- Annihilation Conquest
- Messiah Complex
- Spider Island

Some might be limited crossovers rather than linewide, but I consider all of them events.

If people take offense with Grant Morrison being Grant Morrison in Final Crisis, they can replace it with 52.

- Secret Wars 2015
- Final Crisis
- Sinestro Corps War
- Mutant Massacre
- Fall of the Mutants
- Infinity Gauntlet
- Annihilation
- Annihilation Conquest
- Messiah Complex
- Spider Island

Messiah Complex was surprisingly solid, really enjoyed that one. I'd swap Spider Island and Secret Wars (haven't read them to be honest) with Crisis on Infinite Earths and Infinite Crisis (mostly for the prologue minis) but other than that, solid list.

The three Crises (plural?) are a lot of fun as a whole. And Final Crisis is the GOAT DC in-continuity story.

Pau

Brad Meltzer came to my high school and I helped a friend interview him but I wasn't allowed to talk about Identity Crisis or be negative in any way. :/

Platy

I would replace Superior with Knightfall.

Only the design of Azrael Batman makes it deserve a spot on the list.

mjc

Identity Crisis was some horrid stuff, like borderline cape satire like something out of Ennis' books.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
- Secret Wars 2015
- Final Crisis
- Sinestro Corps War
- Mutant Massacre
- Fall of the Mutants
- Infinity Gauntlet
- Annihilation
- Annihilation Conquest
- Messiah Complex
- Spider Island

Add multiversity to the list

Disclaimer : I didn't read all those listed. But of the ones I did Death of Superman takes the cake.

Back then this was absolutely huge! And while the idea of other people trying to step into the role of Superman was a cool one the whole execution and the writing was lackluster and the actual return anti-climatic.

Edit: My favorite event without a doubt was the Age of Apocalypse

Slayven

Brad Meltzer came to my high school and I helped a friend interview him but I wasn't allowed to talk about Identity Crisis or be negative in any way. :/
I would have looked him dead in the eye and asked how he sleeps at night. Then ask who he think would win between New Warriors vs Titans
Identity Crisis was some horrid stuff, like borderline cape satire like something out of Millar's books.

Fixed

adj_noun

Disclaimer : I didn't read all those listed. But of the ones I did Death of Superman takes the cake.

Back then this was absolutely huge! And while the idea of other people trying to step into the role of Superman was a cool one the whole execution and the writing was lackluster and the actual return anti-climatic.

I thought Cyborg Superman was the "real" one of the four.

Whoops.

Add multiversity to the list
Oh yeah, it deserves to be there. This wasn't really a definitive closed list (it's not even ordered), I just wanted to illustrate that it's really easy to come up with 10 events that are generally considered good.
Right after I hit "post" I said "fuck, Age of Apocalypse".

SOLDIER

... Words still can't describe how much I hate "One More Day". That's a wound that's never going to heal right.

The worst part is that sooner or later it's going to be re-undone.

It's taking a lot longer than people expected, but eventually Mephisto is going to stroll right into Peter's life again, shit goes wacky in the timeline, and he's back to being canonically married to Mary Jane....for however long until the next writer says "nah fuck that".

I hate the notion of all continuity being reset. I think about huge story-changing events, like how the Batman Arkham series actually

permanently killed The Joker

imagine if they did that in the current comics and stuck with it. Things would never be the same again, and writers would be challenged to follow that plot line without ever undoing it.

Instead I just don't care. Oh, Wolverine died recently? Boy, that sure is shocking. Look how shocked I am. No way he'll ever come back, right?

At least Jean Grey is still dead last I checked.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

It's taking a lot longer than people expected, but eventually Mephisto is going to stroll right into Peter's life again, shit goes wacky in the timeline, and he's back to being canonically married to Mary Jane....for however long until the next writer says "nah fuck that".

I hate the notion of all continuity being reset. I think about huge story-changing events, like how the Batman Arkham series actually

imagine if they did that in the current comics and stuck with it. Things would never be the same again, and writers would be challenged to follow that plot line without ever undoing it.

Instead I just don't care. Oh, Wolverine died recently? Boy, that sure is shocking. Look how shocked I am. No way he'll ever come back, right?

Jeans been replaced by her garbage younger counterpart

Which is self-defeating, especially when they already have kid-friendly, child versions of their popular characters in existence at the same time.

Seriously, just look at Batman and Superman.

Do people like Batman less, even though he has a 10 year old, biological son (among other adopted children who have grown up)? Do people think Superman is "less interesting" if he's a family man married to Lois with his own child?

I mean, Batman isn't exactly a "young hip crimefighter" or anything... he's old and grizzled. His initial Robin aged over a decade and became Nightwing. And yet readers have never seemed to mind his age one tiny bit.

But Spider-man having a kid and being a family man - which is a PERFECT evolution for "great power comes great responsibility" - for some reason, that's off-limits? Blows my mind.

Well, at the very least, "Renew Your Vows" is still a thing, and Spider-Girl with Mayday justified it was a great idea.

... Words still can't describe how much I hate "One More Day". That's a wound that's never going to heal right.
A theory is Marvel and DC don't want writers to juggle marriage along with crimefighting. Also those kid friendly books get cancelled. They ultimately don't get big enough to be the next generation of superheroes to replace the current status quo.

SpaceWolf

Banned

I understand the sentiment you're trying to convey, and largely I agree with it, but DC permanently killing off the most widely beloved and culturally iconic supervillain of all time would be a bit rubbish. The Joker's too good a character to kill off forever and never return for as long as DC Comics exists.

- Secret Wars 2015
- Final Crisis
- Sinestro Corps War
- Mutant Massacre
- Fall of the Mutants
- Infinity Gauntlet
- Annihilation
- Annihilation Conquest
- Messiah Complex
- Spider Island

I just can't let you have Final Crisis , the event itself was fine but it gave us Countdown and Death of the New God's which were terrible and ended up being literally meaningless because no one ever spoke of them again after Final Crisis (which was probably for the best but it made a mockery of the willpower required to slog through them).

Mr-Joker

Banned
One More Day should have taken number one as it;

-Had Peter made a deal with the devil,

-Undid years of characters growth and rebooted everyone at square one,

-The new arc gave zero reasoning to why Peter and Mary Jane never getting married was valid,

-I just read a Spider-Man and Deadpool crossover and the devil continues to tease Peter but its irks me as I know that nothing will come out of that.

-I like it better when Aunt May knew that Peter was Spider-Man, current May is boring and pretty much a non character as is Mary Jane.

The one with Gwen Stacy and Norman Osborne's kids.

Sin Past, yeah that one is pretty dumb and probably one where Marvel made the right call in changing the kids' dad from Peter to Norman...too bad they didn't have sense to can the whole story.

Secret Wars II was the first event I ever followed. All the kids who read comics were into it so I went along because I was a dumb elementary school kid. Even then I remember not understanding why the Beyonder was the most powerful thing ever and looked like a regular guy.

Yeah, Secret Wars II was bad because it never went anywhere and never did anything. Oooh, the Beyonder is so powerful, he wants to bang everything, lets turn him human.

Waste of time, really.

I mention Armageddon 2001 on here because it was literally the writers of DC going "We need to put out an idea so shocking that it will sell issues" without actually having anywhere to go with it. They come up with a character who will eventually kill all of the DC universe called the Monarch. His identity is the big mystery of the series, but when they get to the end of the story, the writers who worked on it realized the character they had "chosen" to be the Monarch was spoiled by another story. Instead of being clever and figuring out a different ending, they chose a different character to be the Monarch, except it was one that was shown as being killed by him earlier.
This put the whole thing into a continuity loop that was given some "it was an illusion all along" bullshit that eventually became cannon. Eventually, continuity caught up and Captain Atom became the Monarch.

Lol, I never actually read that even though I did come across the novelization at some point. Kitty + Wesley, I can live with that. Did they ever address the Picard / Xavier / Patrick Stewart resemblance?
Yep, a few months before the first X-Men movie was announced even IIRC!

Infinite Crisis was great. It gave us so many fantastic moments.

Not having Millennium on this list is crazy, that was awful.

Or Infinity Crusade, where half your favourite characters get religion retconned into their backstories (only for it never to be mentioned again).

Or Fear Itself, that was every bit as dire as Secret Invasion.

SOLDIER

I understand the sentiment you're trying to convey, and largely I agree with it, but DC permanently killing off the most widely beloved and culturally iconic supervillain of all time would be a bit rubbish. The Joker's too good a character to kill off forever and never return for as long as DC Comics exists.

And yet the times when they have done it have been fantastically done and led to some excellent material including

Batman Beyond

Batman Arkham

The Dark Knight Rises (his fate is left ambiguous, which is pretty much the same thing as killing him off)

All of them led to new creative endeavors instead of "eh let's just toss Joker in here again". Having Joker be a constant threat also brings up the absurdity of the Batman comic books, in that despite being a regular human being, Joker can somehow survive Wolverine levels of punishment including getting shot a hundred times, being set on fire, having every bone in his body broken, etc.

Everything that your saying has been repeated for the past decades. It is what it is. Marvel and DC are heavily corporate comics.

Slayven

Was it Planet X that had Magneto burning humans in ovens and ended with him being buck naked in the middle of washington?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Superior Spider-Man was not an event and was fantastic until it was clumsily wrapped up in the last few issues.
Civil War 1 was terrible and deserved to not only be on the list, but near the top.

kswiston

Was it Planet X that had Magneto burning humans in ovens and ended with him being buck naked in the middle of washington?

The end of Morrison's run seemed to be him being sick of writing the X-Men and seeing how badly he could break things before editorial told him no.

No one told him no.

LosDaddie

Banned

I found Identity Crisis to be enjoyable enough. Nothing great, though.

Edit: My favorite event without a doubt was the Age of Apocalypse

Death of Superman is the epitome of 90s EXTREME comics. The omnibus is solid, but damn, it can be a slog to get through.

I remember being disappointed in AoA back in the day, but I'll read the omnibus soon

The end of Morrison's run seemed to be him being sick of writing the X-Men and seeing how badly he could break things before editorial told him no.

No one told him no.

No one ever tells Morrison "no". Read the finally for Batman Inc. That shit is just, what? lol

Slayven

No one told him no.

Because they knew there was a second Xorn.

That is the thing about Morrison, you can always tell when he taps out

5502766-9699341875-55021.jpg

Sojgat

One More Day is the worst. Ever.

Clone Saga was awesome (until the last few issues). Doesn't belong on a list of worst events at all. Putting it above Ultimatum actually offends me.

caliph95

Is it me or is this not a very good list. I know i'm young and opinions and all but some these aren't events and why is decent events and arcs there where Events like Identity crisis and Amazon Attack is missing. Heck why is stuff like Flashpoint and Infinite crisis
9 which i like) above Civil War 2 and ONMD. Why is stuff like Superior there at all.

No one ever tells Morrison "no". Read the finally for Batman Inc. That shit is just, what? lol

But Marvel always had a couple of writers at the ready to retcon anything Morrison did a month after. God bless whoever at DC let Superman Beyond / Final Crisis / Batman RIP happen. I still haven't digested all that glorious nonsense.

Edit: Oh yeah, Amazons Attack, as mentioned above, should definitely be on that list.

The last part of Batman Inc (ie after it restarted post Flashpoint) was Morrison's rage at Flashpoint and the Nu52 undoing pretty much everything he'd done translated into comic books.

SpaceWolf

Banned
And yet the times when they have done it have been fantastically done and led to some excellent material including

Batman Beyond

Batman Arkham

The Dark Knight Rises (his fate is left ambiguous, which is pretty much the same thing as killing him off)

None of these are the comics, though. If you're talking about DC taking risks with their characters in outside projects that are non-canon, they do that all the time. Killing off popular comic characters for dramatic effect in one-off, self-contained stories has a completely different effect than permanently killing off popular comic characters in the comics themselves till the end of time.

kswiston

I didn't have an issue with any of Morrison's Batman run, even the crazy parts. New52 ruined Batman Inc's momentum. but outside of Damien (who he created at the start of his run), Morrison wasn't trying to break all of the toys in the toybox before going home.

The Last two arcs of Morrison X-Men just felt mean spirited.

That list sucks.

My favorite event is still Onslaught actually. Growing up, having a villain that was a combination of a hero/villain and being super smart and near all powerful was insane back then, no to mention the way it started and made all heroes join up (previously the team-ups were rarer that today). The conclusion to the event, etc was excellent at the time. I bet it does not transfer well to today's comics, but it was amazing back then.

Some of these other events I also love, like
One More Day, Maximum Carnage, The Amalgam Universe, DC VS Marvel comics, and Superior Spider man
. Honestly, more than half of these I would put in a top 15-20 list of events. MaxCarnage was amazing as well if you enjoyed Spidey back then. Great odd combination of characters like Cloak/Dagger, Deathlok, Carrion, and even the Demogoblin. It was great and crazy that Kasady had his own team of psychos.

Garlador

A theory is Marvel and DC don't want writers to juggle marriage along with crimefighting. Also those kid friendly books get cancelled. They ultimately don't get big enough to be the next generation of superheroes to replace the current status quo.
But... that's just silly. You have superhero families like the Fantastic Four remain a family - with marriage and kids - for over sixty years. If you want to do a version where that doesn't happen, you create an alternate universe version where, I don't know, Reed loses his mind and infects them all with a zombie virus after She-Hulk eats their children, or turn him into a supervillain or something...

The point is, there's a billion ways to have an outlet for that. "Wouldn't it be nice if we had a young, black Spider-man kid in our book?... Oh wait, I'm the writer. I can do that in this alternate universe" (before he proved popular enough to merge into the new one - which was almost the only point of the "end of the Ultimate universe" event entirely).

And the whole "DC hates marriage" argument (which was their initial excuse when their own writers complained about being blocked on a "gay marriage" storyline) never held water. Editorial screwed up hard on that, and many writers openly rebelled. Pretty sure Aquaman's marriage to Mera (though hilariously and briefly "interrupted") endured nonetheless.

And you have plenty of decent-selling, kid-led titles like "Champions" and "Teen Titans" ("Nova" just relaunched to decent sales, but I admit Richard Rider's return helped, and I honestly wish Ms. Marvel would sell better...)

But Marvel isn't just comics, and public exposure does wonders for a character's comic cred. I mean, let's not pretend that before the movies that Guardians of the Galaxy - as good as it was - was anything more than a cult favorite comic series. The masses didn't know Groot or Drax or care about Star-Lord or Gamora, nor could they tell whether Rocket Raccoon was a comic character or a Star Fox character. Marvel gambled on some less-known characters, and the boost to their book and their comic status has been beyond noticeable.

The point is, the general public's impression of a character can shift radically based on the exposure they have outside of the very, VERY limited medium of comics. I mean, I could spend all day telling you how much fun the Great Lake Avengers are, but 90% of comic readers won't have picked up the book, no matter how gleeful and fun it is because characters like Doorman and Mr. Immortal don't resonate with them as strongly as Batman, Spider-man, or Iron Man.

Not for as long as DC exists... but for as long as it takes them to "reboot" (which seems to last only 10-15 years). DC keeps hitting the "reboot" button so often with entirely new, alternate universe takes that it's perfectly logical to have one universe where the Joker bites the big one and stays dead until the next reboot arrives.

I mean, the New 52 is not the old universe. We're having some characters from the old universe pop up here and there, but they're not the "same" people. Barbara Gordon isn't the old Oracle who founded Birds of Prey, Jean Paul Valley is up and alive again as Azrael, Wally West from the old universe just popped up but hasn't replaced the African-American version native to the New 52, etc., etc.

DC can absolutely kill off the Joker for "a" universe and be just fine until the next inevitable reboot.

No one told him no.
Actually, going by reports and interviews years later, they did. He knew he was going to be off the book around the time when Xorn took off the mask and everything after aside from Magneto being the bad guy was editorial. "We can"t have Jean with the Phoenix Force, it makes event stories pointless. Kill her or we'll do it." "Remember to pair up Scott with Emma before you leave."

The future stuff was just weird.

One More Day should be near the top, such a pointless and convoluted mess to "mix things up", when they could have simply told the same stories without the awkward retcon/notretcon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom