• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

SoulUnison

Banned
Good list. I'd put Real Emotion on there too.

Real Emotion isn't in the game!?
Memory of Lightwaves is a DLC song!?
1000 Words is the JPN version!?

Why did they fuck X-2 over so hard!?

I thought I was disappointed that Dissidia/012 didn't get Carmen Lucis or God on Fire or The Messenger, but that seems even more egregious.

kirby2096

So I had my first bad experience with DPD/ S-E Euro store. The CE box took a battering and the outer sleeve has a tear along the front top. They need to ship these CEs in actually boxes and not economy cardboard slabs.
Anyway, game is here now so I can start playing later today.

Robin64

Man, the VS is so good!

Edit: Judgement is brutal.

Had some fantastic matches in With Anyone with an "Elegantly sexy Bard" named Chloe, we seemed to be about the same skill level. Wish you could send a friend request if you end up playing like 5 matches in a row with someone. :\

suzu

Do we actually have to worry about this when playing? I completely ignored all of that stuff and never used summons in the original.

If you're a stellar player, then you'll not have to worry about it much. Just pick whoever you want.

Abilities/items are more useful now in comparison to the original though (no more naked party). lol

Gala

I have some bad news and you may want to sit down for this...

tumblr_m4rocyT1XD1rn95k2o1_500.gif

zroid

Banned
Is anyone cataloguing passwords? These were posted yesterday:

• "
    Crybaby
    !" You're a man, aren't you? A grown man! Stop crying!
  • A fierce pirate to be sure, but Faris sure "Can rock a
    dress
    "!

(the password is the entire phrase in quotation marks, not just the secret word)

Sorry for the dumb question, but is the point to stick with the same 4 characters to get them leveled up? Why would I want to switch around, seems like it would be a huge disadvantage.

So eShop still has no add-on content tab in the UK. I guess that means no late week 1 for Europe? The official site saying 16th September as soon as you click 19th September is not reassuring...

From that FAQ:
It's worth noting that these stats can be leveled all the way to 999 by using the Collecta Crystarium, so even if someone is really low in a stat, they can be beefed up to match even the mightiest character in that stat. It'll just take a whole heck of a lot longer.
I take it 999 is a typo given the context of the rest and it should read 255.

Sorry for the dumb question, but is the point to stick with the same 4 characters to get them leveled up? Why would I want to switch around, seems like it would be a huge disadvantage.
There is a trophy for levelling everyone up. Also resetting a characters level gives them more CP (diminishing returns here though...there is also a trophy for resets). Also chances are you want more than 4 characters if you play individual stages for instances.

daydream

Banned
This game is letting me discover awesome songs from the newer FFs (mainline and spinoffs) which is a very nice side effect.

You definitely did not oversell FFXIV's soundtrack, Robin!

Robin64

So eShop still has no add-on content tab in the UK. I guess that means no late week 1 for Europe? The official site saying 16th September as soon as you click 19th September is not reassuring...

The DLC is up in the UK, though. You access it via the ingame menu.

This game is letting me discover awesome songs from the newer FFs (mainline and spinoffs) which is a very nice side effect.

You definitely did not oversell FFXIV's soundtrack, Robin!

Yay!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Unlocked the FF14 songs in the Music Player, then discovered Under The Weight. Holy crap, I gotta try this song out....just wish I could understand the lyrics.

Robin64

Unlocked the FF14 songs in the Music Player, then discovered Under The Weight. Holy crap, I gotta try this song out....just wish I could understand the lyrics.

More FFXIV love! This is amazing. Also:

Square-Enix sound director Masayoshi Soken said:
Wrought from the rock that stands upon old
With a heart of black and a stare that's cold
Cold are the hands that grasp at your soul
'Fore the graves are dug and the death knells toll

Tempered in the flows of the mountain's core
Where the rage runs red twixt shore and shore
Shorn from the world 'neath the blazing sun
Bound to the dark for the light I shun

Bow down overdweller (Under the weight) X 3
Bow down overdweller (In hell I wait)
Succumb to the hate that corrupts your fate

Into the dark of an endless night
Where the pulse of the land offers no respite
In spite of the blood that was spilled before
You whet your blades, you thirst for more

Now kneel overdweller your lord commands
There's no salvation for the sons of man
The skies will tremble and the earth will quake
From the crumbling walls no one escapes

Bow down overdweller (In hell I wait)
I'll drag you right down to the seventh gate

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yup, tried it on Expert & Ultimate. Ultimate's chart is easily one of my favorites, combined with the song. It's that combination of hard, but not frustrating, & fun.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Some songs should be Insane instead of Ultimate. I notice the difficulty for some songs spike up very high.

I think certain ultimate songs provide just the right challenge. And some are just too much.

And Expert is just too easy.

Haven't played Curtain Call yet, but this was absolutely the case with the original; Expert was too easy, most of Ultimate was about right, and a select few songs were like an entire difficulty level harder. :/

Yeah, "Under the Weight" might be one of my favorite FF songs ever. It's just so energetic and fun. At first the lyrics were making me giggle a bit from a campy feeling I got off them, but they became my favorite part of the song in the end. I have been listening to the XIV OST a lot lately (never got to Titan in game) and would always skip that song because it sounded too raucous. But after hearing more of it through Threatrhtym I was sold. Definitely adding to my workout tracks on my iPOD because it almost demands you to stay in motion and hurt with it's rhythm.

Stuart444

Got around 1700rm now, when is Versus mode unlocked? 2000? Or what?

Also I got a crash back to the main 3DS menu when I tried to start Battle at the Big Bridge. Wonder why, at least I didn't lose any progress though.

linko9

Some songs should be Insane instead of Ultimate. I notice the difficulty for some songs spike up very high.

I think certain ultimate songs provide just the right challenge. And some are just too much.

And Expert is just too easy.

For me the challenge of this game is getting SSS scores on Ultimate songs. That's still challenging for about half the songs, which is pretty good. It's not a game where you'll struggle to pass songs after you get even decent, but trying for those perfect chains with (almost) all criticals can be a good challenge for a lot of songs. Expert is still fun to get full criticals on, though that's pretty easy for almost all songs. Keep in mind I'm coming from having played well over 100 hours of the first game.

And playing versus mode introduced a whole new challenge; I rarely get SS scores what with all the distracting EX bursts; it's great!

hamchan

I find think this series is relatively easy to other rhythm games I play like DJMAX so I think all critical on ultimate songs is a very achievable long term goal.

Stuart444

IIRC, you need to finish at least one quest to unlock it.

Ah, okay then.

Also imo Expert is moderate (not too hard, not too east), and Ultimate songs are insane. So I guess I just suck at these games :/ but oh well, I enjoy them.
Maybe one day I'll get an S/SS on Ultimate >.>

linko9

Ah, okay then.

Also imo Expert is moderate (not too hard, not too east), and Ultimate songs are insane. So I guess I just suck at these games :/ but oh well, I enjoy them.

It just takes time, you'll get there. I remember after ~50 hours in the first game there were still a lot of ultimate songs I thought I'd never beat, but eventually they became easier and easier. I think in general my reflexes are pretty terrible, but the more you play the game the better your mind gets at automatically interpreting the patterns coming at you.

zroid

Banned
Ah, okay then.

I'm not too great at these games either, just don't have the hand-eye coordination for it. I like challenging myself on Ultimate sometimes, but I find Expert close to the perfect difficulty really. It is just enough to not stress me out, but it also keeps me engaged.

I am better at Rhythm Heaven for example, where the focus is more on timing and concentration than decrypting labyrinthine arrays of arrows.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Question, the first version had movies for every numbered Final Fantasy titles. I'm over 20000 points and yet there are hardly any movies, normal?

daydream

Banned
I find think this series is relatively easy to other rhythm games I play like DJMAX so I think all critical on ultimate songs is a very achievable long term goal.

Hmm, I don't know, all critical on Ultimate seems almost impossible for me personally, especially on faster songs. Perfect chain, however, seems doable with some memorisation.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Question, the first version had movies for every numbered Final Fantasy titles. I'm over 20000 points and yet there are hardly any movies, normal?
I think they cut out most of them or switched them for Battle or Music. In fact, the game gave me a trophy for watching all the Extended Versions.

ohlawd

how are you guys setting up abilities? I don't know if the multi party buffs are worth it so I just stack them all between characters. Same goes with the self augments. And the magic spells, are these even worth it?

halp, 17 hours and still clueless on what's hot and what's not.

I take it 999 is a typo given the context of the rest and it should read 255.
You can most definitely break 255 even before Lv99. My Squall hits over 400 Str just by slapping all Sacrifice skills.

EMS is pretty much just for the newer titles now.

There's still an EMS stage for most games and once you beat it you can watch the video that plays in the background by itself.
Is that what you're referring to?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Just cleared all the Versus AI levels. It was interesting, but I feel like the randomness of the EX Bursts would be annoying online with real people.

Falk

that puzzling face
(That was a guitarist joke, because whenever there's a guitar solo all the guitarists in the audience all say "I can do that!")

Anilusion

I picked this up yesterday, only having played the demo of the first one before. Which control method do you guys prefer? Is it just personal preference or is one better for getting good scores?

daydream

Banned
I picked this up yesterday, only having played the demo of the first one before. Which control method do you guys prefer? Is it just personal preference or is one better for getting good scores?

I felt lukewarm on the button controls after trying the demo but now I'm convinced - buttons all the way.

Falk

that puzzling face

I've found the analog nub quite finicky to be honest.

Teknoman

More FFXIV love! This is amazing. Also:

Speaking of which, I just realized Fallen Angel has lyrics other than " Now fall".

The only thing I dont like about rhythm games like this: I cant really pay attention to whats happening in the background since there really arent any pauses. Gitarooman was cool about that, same with Umjammer and Parappa. Maybe its just me, but I only tend to focus on the icons.

Top Bottom