• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

As a guy who has never fully played a Final Fantasy game I am really enjoying Theatrhythm Curtain Call.

Though the music volume could be higher, some are just too quiet.

Too bad using the headphones with the 3DS sucks.

You might consider a headphone amp?

There are some good threads that go over the best ones to get. I'm a bit busy right now, but I know that a quick search should point you in the right direction. :)

Teknoman

You might consider a headphone amp?

There are some good threads that go over the best ones to get. I'm a bit busy right now, but I know that a quick search should point you in the right direction. :)

I think surround sound setting makes everything seem quieter overall. Its great for adventure, racing, and action games...but with something like this, I guess you'd want to change to stereo?

linko9

As a guy who has never fully played a Final Fantasy game I am really enjoying Theatrhythm Curtain Call.

Though the music volume could be higher, some are just too quiet.

Too bad using the headphones with the 3DS sucks.

What are you talking about? I'm amazed anyone would not use headphones with a music game if they have the choice. Your first complaint is the result of your second one; with headphones the volume is plenty loud, and without headphones it's like you're listening through a glass wall or something; like with all handheld hardware. What specifically is it about the 3DS that makes you not like using headphones?

I picked this up yesterday, only having played the demo of the first one before. Which control method do you guys prefer? Is it just personal preference or is one better for getting good scores?

Personal preference. I was pretty good with the stylus in the first game but the buttons feel so much better to me.

Ludovico

Finally got the game; feels good to start with 2 Lightnings.

Lol.

I started with Bartz
Butts
, Terra, Cloud, and Tidus.

Should I have Bartz first for the field music and then switch to Terra for battles (for the summons), or just keep Bartz first cause it doesn't make that much of a difference yet?
If Tidus is fourth, do his abilities like wind rhapsody and haste make any bit of difference?

All characters about lvl 32 now, just doing the chaos missions and enjoying all these tracks.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I never had much of an issue with EMS songs in the last game and well... I've not been able to try any EMS songs in this game yet outside of the tutorial but I do miss some of the songs being EMS' from the last game. :( All changed to B/EMS

My assumption is that those songs were changed to be playable in other modes like vs and quest medley. Though yea a bummer not having fmv backdrops for classics.

Stuart444

My assumption is that those songs were changed to be playable in other modes like vs and quest medley. Though yea a bummer not having fmv backdrops for classics.

I would have preferred if they had an EMS version for each game and maybe a B/FMS version of the song alongside it (for stuff like versus, quest and just for a change of pace).

best of both words though I'm wondering if having an EMS stage for each game would take too much space on the cart (due to all the FMVs/videos)

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Another button believer!

I do one-handed for basic, buttons for expert, and stylus for ultimate. It's good to have variety.

Finally hit 20k rhytmia, all 99 lvl party, and 25 wins online. :D

I would have preferred if they had an EMS version for each game and maybe a B/FMS version of the song alongside it (for stuff like versus, quest and just for a change of pace).

best of both words though I'm wondering if having an EMS stage for each game would take too much space on the cart (due to all the FMVs/videos)

The removal of EMS bummed me out. Because while playing them was annoying, the videos you unlocked were awesome.

Kinda related, but anyone know of a good pair of headphones to use for this game? I have the padded studio-style ones but with my glasses on it gives me headaches from pressing on them.

But Apple-style earbud headphones always seem to fall out of my ears. I guess maybe ones like the ones that clip on the ear would work but I dunno what to look for.

Robin64

Kinda related, but anyone know of a good pair of headphones to use for this game? I have the padded studio-style ones but with my glasses on it gives me headaches from pressing on them.

But Apple-style earbud headphones always seem to fall out of my ears. I guess maybe ones like the ones that clip on the ear would work but I dunno what to look for.

These are the absolute best headphones for a "not bad price", hands down. Some people find them tricky to wear, but I had no problem (and most don't). The sound quality is just amazing, I cannot praise them enough.

Amazon Review said:
These literally famous headphones are unquestionably the best sounding thing you can buy for this money. In truth, they are not *quite* as good as the KSC-35s they replaced (which had a bit more bass and were slightly more expensive), but KSC-75s really sound *incredibly* good for the money. Seriously.

Amazon Review said:
These suckers can rock! They deliver a really full sound, surprising for the size and price. They absolutely trounce the Apple earbuds and my old Sonys. And not by a narrow margin. The bass is impressive, and commendably tight. The midrange has real body to it. And the highs sound pleasing too.

Honestly, if you're playing Curtain Call, these make it a whole new game.

Wonder when Koss will send me my commission. Heh.

My favorite songs so far are Harvest from FFV (My favorite underrated FF song) and Cantata Mortis from Dissidia 012.
It sounded a bit like a One Winged Angel cast-off but it wasn't terribly difficult and it just felt good to play. :p

Falk

that puzzling face
They're objectively awful. The entire line is objectively awful. If they work for you, that's fine, nothing wrong with that.

(No malice intended)

I don't understand the button controls on FMS stages. When I get to the end of a line and there's a slide icon there, a pretty high percentage of the time the game will just BAD or GOOD me because I'm already holding a direction when I get there as I'm moving the cursor up and down the line. What am I meant to be doing here so that doesn't happen?

zroid

Banned
I don't understand the button controls on FMS stages. When I get to the end of a line and there's a slide icon there, a pretty high percentage of the time the game will just BAD or GOOD me because I'm already holding a direction when I get there as I'm moving the cursor up and down the line. What am I meant to be doing here so that doesn't happen?

you're probably just overthinking it

when you get to the very end you can focus on flicking the circle pad rather than holding the line

pariah164

I'm using a pair of Sony studio headphones I got for $20 at Best Buy a couple months back. Seriously considering ordering those Koss ones Robin recommended though.

daydream

Banned

There's two ways. You can just let the CirclePad go back to a neutral position before you hit the slide note, like zroid suggested - or you can keep holding the direction you're holding and then do a sharp slide once you hit the note.

Both ways are unreliable, though. The first one doesn't work sometimes since your cursor strays too far from the last slide note so you won't be on it when doing the slide. The second one mostly works but you really gotta nail the timing and the motion itself, otherwise it will fail to register it correctly. I also found that I get pretty nervous when employing this method so I often end up doing the slide too early.

It's my only gripe with button controls, honestly. That kind of hold + slide combo is tough.

It's my only gripe with button controls, honestly. That kind of hold + slide combo is tough.

Yeah, button controls are really good aside from that. It's annoying because the corresponding note in BMS stages, because you don't need to move up and down, is really really satisfying to play with buttons. I've tried a few different ways of playing it in FMS though (those you mention) and I just can't get anything to work reliably. It's not disastrous, I'm not going to be wiped out because of it, but I'll never all-critical a stage.

These are the absolute best headphones for a "not bad price", hands down. Some people find them tricky to wear, but I had no problem (and most don't). The sound quality is just amazing, I cannot praise them enough.

Thanks, placed an order for them.

Kinda remind me of a pair of retracting ones I used to have a long time ago, those fit pretty nicely and these look pretty similar to them. :)

Heropon

I'm starting to get Ultimate songs in the Medley Quest and I'm getting scared and I use more defensive builds instead of total offense like before. Thankfully Library of the Ancients was relatively tame compared to other songs at that level of difficulty like Saber's Edge or Force Your Way.

Geez, the first 5 seconds of The Castle is just killer on Ultimate. I have the rest of the song down perfectly except for those first two long, loopy Hold notes...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ya know, it just hit me. I kind of wish this game had something that told you how hard the song is in comparison to other songs. Something like DDR where songs were rated out of 10 & eventually 20. Going into Ultimate, you have no idea how hard the song will be compared to the previous song you just did on the same difficulty.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing this game for several hours straight today. It's funny, but the original game never hooked me like this, despite loving it too.

Unlocked the online mode and tried a few songs with a stranger on Expert. I lost 3 and won 2, so I left feeling very satisfied (I was expecting to lose every single time). Also managed to "all crit" (or whatever it's called) 5 FMSs on Expert, which I could never do in the original game. Fantastic game it is, and my brain still can't comprehend how much content it has.

Mr-Joker

Banned
What are you talking about? I'm amazed anyone would not use headphones with a music game if they have the choice. Your first complaint is the result of your second one; with headphones the volume is plenty loud, and without headphones it's like you're listening through a glass wall or something; like with all handheld hardware. What specifically is it about the 3DS that makes you not like using headphones?

I am profoundly deaf in both ears and wear hearing aid on both ears, so when I try listen on the headphones the music seem quiet and I can't hear all the notes, whereas on the laptop I can.

I will try messing about with the sound setting but I hear the music better without the headphones.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh god, Final Battle from IX. One of the only songs I can't pass on Ultimate at the moment. I miss one, I completely lose what note I should hit next.

Anustart

Anyone want a premium level 99 long quest? I got it as my first 99 quest. So far for drops, one is an ultima scroll, kefka drops a knights magicite and I forget what other drop I've gotten from it. Apparently premium quests have better loot.

linko9

I am profoundly deaf in both ears and wear hearing aid on both ears, so when I try listen on the headphones the music seem quiet and I can't hear all the notes, whereas on the laptop I can.

I will try messing about with the sound setting but I hear the music better without the headphones.

Well alright, that explains is :D

As other said, you can get a portable amp to boost the volume on headphones; or any speakers you plug into the speaker jack.

Okay so I'm a buttons control convert!
My problem was that it didn't 'feel' right initially, but I was getting better scores using the buttons so I pushed on... and then they clicked.
Now it just feels like the only way to play.

Considering my love for the original game and the huge amount of improvements to this version, it's already one of my very favourite 3DS games.

zroid

Banned
Songs with a strong melody are so much easier to do well on

edit: ah my old nemesis Man with the Machine Gun... we meet again :<

ohlawd

my goodness, that online match was ridiculous

enemy kept throwing me EX Bursts at the worst possible times. that wavy back and forth one with all those hold segments. and all those mystery trigger bursts...

Swamped

Banned
I'm back from the outside world! I spy I couple of gaffers playing curtain call... If anyone wants to play online with me lmk!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I see some of you playing TTCC but when I go to my friends the "join game" or whatever menu is grayed out. How the fuck can I play with you guys? :S

Swamped

Banned
I see some of you playing TTCC but when I go to my friends the "join game" or whatever menu is grayed out. How the fuck can I play with you guys? :S

Hmm I think you have to start the battle in the game itself, like go into versus mode > online battle > friends. But I've never tried it before, would you like to try now?

My nickname is Soni btw.

ohlawd

can someone explain this bullshit?

I'm getting all crits and I assume my rival is doing the same. there have been no EX Bursts in play yet as it's just the beginning. I quickly glance to my score and I'm losing. Mog announces the same thing.

yeah fuck that. I played 10 games with them though. Lost 6-4. I haven't met anyone who uses the stylus.

gah damn I'm seething lol. Anyone wanna play? I'd rather get my ass kicked by a GAF member than some random dude thanks to some technicality.

Top Bottom