• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

Heropon

There's an error in the leaderboards. I wish I had done an All Critical but that isn't the case.

Edit: Sorry for posting on the top of the page. I didn't see those bumps.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
WELCOME TO WEEK #4 OF THE NEOGAF TFF:CC COMMUNITY CHALLENGE

• YOU MUST SUBMIT A SCREEN SHOT OF YOUR SCORE. Example: HERE or HERE
• All four stages will be on the Ultimate score difficulty.
• Score must have been achieved during the competition week.
Obviously this is done on an HONOR system, in the spirit of fun competition, do not submit "old" high scores.
• In the event of a score tie, the winner will be determined by most Criticals.
• Next week's stages will be determined by last week’s winner on that stage.
BMS winner will determine next BMS stage. DLC BMS winner will determine next DLC BMS stage, etc.
• If there are multiple winners (All-Critical) then the user who submitted their score first will determine next week’s song.
However, if the same user wins songs A & B, they will chose either A or B, and the second place finisher will chose the other.

• Winners are encouraged to type a short write-up of why they choose that particular song. It can be something related to a memory you have of that song or the game in which the song is featured!

This Week's Challenge (2/19 - 2/26)
zlCfzTBluQUcyd9LCh
click

bobohoro said:
NieR is one of those games that reminds me of my favourite titles as a kid and upcoming adult. Those games, that aren't really perfect, but just connect with you on a more personal level and stay with you for a very long time. Like with most other titles of that caliber, its soundtrack was one of the most defining features of the game and still is one of my favourite pieces of music of all time, OST or not. Kainé/Salvation is one of the main themes in the game and a great display of the elegant, atmospheric instrumentation and beautfiul voice of Emi Evans merging together to form an emotionally engaging piece of music.

Heropon said:
I love boss battle themes and this one in particular is among my favourites, it was a pleasure hearing it in Bravely Default while fighting the asterisk holders, but it isn't the only reason why I chose it. The increasing tempo makes for a crazy difficulty spike at the end of the song, which I feel that can be an interesting challenge that will be very satisfying to improve on.

jA68mGlDik8dU.jpeg
zlCfzTBnBGImwEPdnS

Son of D said:
I'll always remember the first time I played FFX and I first saw the Zanarkand Ruins. Just seeing the ruins of what was once a vast and magnificent city is bad, but then this song starts up and it really amplifies the moment and made my first trek through the ruins a memorable moment.

MrDaravon said:
Hitoshi Sakimoto has been one of my favorite composers since the Final Fantasy Tactics soundtrack, so I was super pumped when we found out he was doing the FFXII soundtrack. I actually very specifically remember the thread on GAF for the JP release of FFXII where someone got it a few days early before release and posted the Title/Demo roll video on Youtube and everyone flipping out about how godlike it was. While FFXII wound up being a bit of a divisive game (I still mostly love it though) this opening has always been burned into my memory. It starts off good already, then all of a sudden the best version of classic Final Fantasy theme starts up showing super quick cuts of all of the characters then tons of the classic monsters and summons and rolling into the crystal and title screen. It still legitimately gives me chills in a way almost no other game track does.

Heropon

Also: Does anyone want to include the new DLC in this week's competition? I personally like it, because it gives me a reason to buy something that I wouldn't normally buy based on recommendations.

I'm fine with it if other people want too. If that's the case I know what song I'm choosing.

MrDaravon

Here we go. Reserving this space for next week's competition post. Sorry for completely disregarding TOS and quadruple posting! I'l update this post once we get next week's post ready.

EDIT: No biggie, Heropon. Its all good.

Also: Does anyone want to include the new DLC in this week's competition? I personally like it, because it gives me a reason to buy something that I wouldn't normally buy based on recommendations.

I'm at work right now, I'll check out the new DLC music when I get home to see if I want to pick any of it; Frogs Theme seems an easy/obvious pick, but not sure how others feel about DLC or if they have strong DLC choices already. My first pick would probably be a non-DLC track followed by a previous DLC track. So if the other BMS winner wants to go DLC I'm good with that.

Edit: Heropon if you want to pick the DLC track go for it! I've got my pick in that case, that works out.

Roto13

I'm fine with DLC tracks as long as they're from Nier.

I know my score for Engage was pretty amazing, but I don't think it's really worthy of both the number 1 AND number 2 spots on the board.

Swamped

Banned
With regards to DLC tracks, I'm totally up for one or two. I'll be buying some on Thursday anyway! I even skipped out on a latte to make up for it lol.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Okay I got everyone's songs and screenshots, I'm waiting on one more - it'll be a song from tomorrow's DLC batch , so get yo wallets ready!

The post will be up tomorrow after the DLC hits!

Robin64

Future Undated DLC

BMS
Final Fantasy X - Assault
Final Fantasy X-2 - Real Emotion (Not this)
Final Fantasy Tactics - Apoplexy
Final Fantasy Legend II - Struggle to the Death
NieR - Hills of Radiant Winds
NieR - Shadowlord
Chrono Trigger - Battle with Magus
Chrono Trigger - Boss Battle 2
Romancing SaGa - Beat Them Up!
Romancing SaGa 3 - Devil Lord Confrontation II

FMS
Secret of Mana - Into the Thick of It
Seiken Densetsu 3 - Meridian Child
Chrono Trigger - Corridors of Time
Live A Live - Birds in the Sky, Fish in the River

Kurtofan

Future Undated DLC

BMS
Final Fantasy X-2 - Real Emotion
NieR - Shadowlord

FMS

Crazy good round.

It will probably be the Jpaanese version of real emotion, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B71Eolr7Zok (but worth keeping a link to the English version as it is interesting comparison)
As 1000 Words and many other songs were the Japanese version.

Random protip: The "perfect chain all song in *difficulty*" trophies require the perfect chain to be the current high score. At least when I perfect chained one winged angel I noted down I had got the perfect chain but failed to beat the current high score and low and behold I didn't get the trophy until I went and sorted that out.

Edit: On the records screen 150 hours is not enough for the sparkling star rank :O

How long are they?
Song of the Ancients/ Devola 2:31 (OST 3:07)
Kainé/Salvation 1:37 (OST 3:03)

Calling and Echoes of the Sprial are both over 3 minutes so I'm not sure if it cut songs or just stopping at one loop instead of two or something (I'm not familiar with the source material).

vash1122

Neo Member
Song of the Ancients/ Devola 2:31 (OST 3:07)
Kainé/Salvation 1:37 (OST 3:03)

Calling and Echoes of the Sprial are both over 3 minutes so I'm not sure if it cut songs or just stopping at one loop instead of two or something (I'm not familiar with the source material).

Damn, 3 minutes isn't that long. I wonder why they feel the need to cut them. I bet Shadowlord will be completely butchered.

Oh well, at least we're getting the songs at all. I never expected them to dig deep enough to get to Nier songs.

Future Undated DLC

BMS
NieR - Shadowlord

FMS

Oh my god, what a lineup. Square Enix is just killing it with the DLC, even if they inexplicably haven't covered any Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve, or Brave Fencer Musashi songs yet. Chrono Cross especially!

I still really hope they eventually add "Battle 3" from Final Fantasy Mystic Quest to complete the trifecta of amazing battle themes from that game. More Final Fantasy XIII-2 music would be awesome too, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Each week convinces me more and more than they're planning a Theatrhythm Squaresoft sequel. I'm gonna end up spending more than the retail value of that game on all this friggin DLC, I'm such a sucker.

Roto13

Ha. Real Emotion. But oh my god, Apoplexy, that song is amazing, And Hills of Radiant Winds.

Still no The Landing though. :x

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
NEW COMPETITION POST IS UP!

I am psyched about Bravely Default: He of the Name. That is my favorite song in the entire game! I broke 9 million once, I didn't think I'd ever be able to do it again. It will be my goal this week to try and beat my old high score!

suzu

Picked up Frog's theme and Vamo' alla flamenco today.

Future Undated DLC

BMS
NieR - Shadowlord

FMS

So many good tracks! But SE keeps leaving out Chrono Cross... >:|

Kirlia

Banned
Future Undated DLC

BMS
Final Fantasy X-2 - Real Emotion (Not this)
NieR - Shadowlord

FMS

Hills of Radiant Winds as a BMS? VERY interesting choice (I would have expected it to be a FMS)! But yay at two Nier BMS tracks! Also, HELL YES for Assault and Apoplexy, and about, er, time for Corridors of Time.

Robin64

The Dawn Warriors = 2:06
Nemesis = 2:19
The Conflict = 1:42
The Ultimate Confronation = 2:24
Megalomania = 1:44
Song of the Ancients/Devola = 2:31
Vamo' alla flamenco = 1:39
Misgelstalt = 2:11
Frog's Theme = 1:37
Echoes of the Spiral = 3:10
Kaine/Salvation = 1:37
Swivel = 1:41

Celegus

Brofist to Daravon's pick and reason. Far and away the best rendition of the main theme, I'm excited to play that a few times this week!

MrDaravon

My runner-up/DLC BMS pick actually would have been The Serpent That Devours the Horizon, but all of the Bravely Default tracks are pretty baller.

Brofist to Daravon's pick and reason. Far and away the best rendition of the main theme, I'm excited to play that a few times this week!

giphy.gif

Lumiere

Neo Member
Picked up Frog's theme and Vamo' alla flamenco today.

As far as I know, the tricky thing about Chrono Cross is that Mitsuda composed the OST as a freelance after leaving Square, and they don't hold the rights for it.
Not sure if this would create any real problems but I assume it would at least mean more hassle for them to use the music compared to Chrono Trigger or Xenogears.

Anyone crazy enough to do 999+ unique songs?!

As a lot of us know, the game saves most of the data onto the SD card. This means that if you play your file on a different 3DS it will be missing certain parts of the file. These include your Proficards, your quests and your scores for the Music Stages.

However! Your file becomes some crazy hybrid file where even though these stats are missing... you still have all your trophies, Rhythmia, characters and their levels, collectacards and even which songs you've favourited are remembered. 
But what does this mean? Well it means that your stats will be stacked on the multiple files. For example if someone in your house has their own 3DS then they can play your file and have their own scores and own quests but also help you with collecting trophies and filling stars in your stats pages.

Interestingly something else also stacks... the number of songs you've done. Here is a picture:

http://i.imgur.com/EQDbTVV.jpg

As you can see, although I've got a total of 247 songs available to me, I've done 253. This is because I just played on my brothers 3DS and done the daily songs on his file. Yepp, these stack too.

My question is... anyone crazy enough to make these all 999? Without buying multiple DLC for each game... at 221 songs per game you will need 3 extra 3DS consoles and to beat all songs on every difficulty on every 3DS. You could even get a 4th 3DS and therefore not have to do the EMS for every console to get 999. I'm... tempted (I have access to that many). Maybe I'll just do the songs of the day on my brothers 3DS for now. 

My second question is... is 999 the limit? While it looks like it would be due to the space on the proficard, what about here?

http://i.imgur.com/omKCkXX.jpg

It looks to me like it can fit at least two more digits. 99999 songs cleared? You would need over 450 3DS consoles :p

P.S I love this game.

Vhalyar

I just upgraded from my old 3DS to a N3DS XL and CC is making a big fuss :(
Anyone's got experience with that?

I bought the game off the eShop. Backed my SD data onto my computer.
Did the 3DS -> N3DS data transfer.
Moved the data from my computer to the micro SD.

On starting Curtain Call, the game asks me to create a new profile :(

Falk

that puzzling face

As far as I know, the tricky thing about Chrono Cross is that Mitsuda composed the OST as a freelance after leaving Square, and they don't hold the rights for it.

Correct.

http://www.originalsoundversion.com...trigger-mysteries-solved-clarifications-made/

Mitsuda: For Chrono Cross, I have all the rights to the music

Should be important to note, though, that even freelance, the composer holding the rights isn't usually the norm as far as game dev goes, unless dealing with the pop/mainstream industry.

bobohoro

They really don't feel cut to me. Actually, almost all of this week's DLC songs feel like a decent/accurate length.

Kainé/Salvation is pretty much half a song. :/

And don't play He Of The Name when you are totally tired, that's just a painful experience. But fun chart to play.

On another note, I once mentioned my problems with down-right arrows on the nub and how I thought it's because of damaged hardware. Turns out it's more of a software and input recognition thing, since on my N3DS, it still randomly drops those, even if I make sure to hit them in a correct way. Sucks. Hopefully they ditch diagonal arrows in the next game completely. And get some kind of perfromance mode in there without all the effects that range from distracting to hurting my eyes.

Kirlia

Banned
Kainé/Salvation is pretty much half a song. :/

And don't play He Of The Name when you are totally tired, that's just a painful experience. But fun chart to play.

On another note, I once mentioned my problems with down-right arrows on the nub and how I thought it's because of damaged hardware. Turns out it's more of a software and input recognition thing, since on my N3DS, it still randomly drops those, even if I make sure to hit them in a correct way. Sucks. Hopefully they ditch diagonal arrows in the next game completely. And get some kind of perfromance mode in there without all the effects that range from distracting to hurting my eyes.

The second half of the song is barely different from the first, if I remember correctly. Then again, I AM worried about SE cutting any part of Shadowlord.

Another song that's REALLY fun to play when tired is Ultimate Sacrifice Part Three. It's not Force Your Way levels of difficult, but it's long and challenging (over 600 notes!) from beginning to end. Still, it's fun to play.

Top Bottom