• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

Two things I noted from a Japanese Wiki site (so, I'm not sure if they'd be accurate, espeically since they kind of work against each other), one note said that song generation for Dark Notes is based on your profile name, changing your name will give you new odds; the other simply said that the game favors newer games in the series when passing out Dark Notes (and this seems accurate on my research).

It's currently out of stock on Amazon and selling for $64.95 + shipping from merchants.
That's a good sign, a second printing will probably be in order (and hopefully a second game eventually).

The Sanctuary of Zi'Tah is an amazingly atmospheric place, slow but very beautiful tune.

Dumb EU store not having it. :(

I want to giiive you moneys SE, why wont you take my moneys?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Finally found some time to sit down and play it at my heart's content.

All I can say is that it's a wonderful love letter to those who have appreciated the music of Final Fantasy throughout its illustrious releases. The menu music is great, the original tunes are full of nostalgia, the gameplay is more than adequate, and I have to admit that I can't wait to go through this completely and start grabbing the DLC.

My only problem is that it's making me want to sit down and play these games again, and I wish it was available on more systems so more people could get a chance to play it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Is there an advanced difficulty for series mode? I only have the default difficulty available for it.

Finish a game's set on Challenge in a higher difficulty unlocks that difficulty in series, i.e. clearing all the FFIV tracks on Expert unlocks Expert for FFIV in Series mode. Same with Ultimate.

Javier

Finish a game's set on Challenge in a higher difficulty unlocks that difficulty in series, i.e. clearing all the FFIV tracks on Expert unlocks Expert for FFIV in Series mode. Same with Ultimate.
Also, you need an A or higher in each song to unlock it on Series mode.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I love this game. I so desperately want to spend a stupid amount of money on the DLC right now, but I want to finish off the series stuff first and play a bit more in the challenge mode before I even head to the store.

Even managed to get my partner hooked, and she doesn't really know too much Final Fantasy music (she prefers playing Dragon Quest) outside of a few piano pieces from the albums I have.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I'm not a big FF follower, but I'm really loving this game.
The stylus I got with my UK pre-order is so comfortable, I'm using it all the time.

Have people already been trying this on a 3DS XL? Will any data get lost? I'm considering swapping my 3DS for an XL without transferring my data (otherwise I'd still have to pay full price for the XL), so it would suck if that would impact my progress somehow.

Have people already been trying this on a 3DS XL? Will any data get lost? I'm considering swapping my 3DS for an XL without transferring my data (otherwise I'd still have to pay full price for the XL), so it would suck if that would impact my progress somehow.
Everything is transferred. Game looks more vibrant on mine due to warmer LCD. Size is great of course.

You'll lose your DLC if you bought any.

keep hearing about this game, i am also not THAT great an FF nut, is this worth it as an actual rhythm game by itself or is the fanservice the biggest part of it's appeal?

NeOak

Are you in the UK? Isn't GAME allowing a 24hr grade period for system transfers?

So I believe we have a new winner for "hardest Ultimate Score BMS": A Contest of Aeons. Nothing included in the game or any of the other DLC even comes close to how that song's difficulty on Ultimate... and this comes from someone who's easily SSed every Ultimate Score available.

thanks i think i'll skip it then and get Rhythm Heaven Fever instead or something ;)

Get both! They're both fantastic games.

You'll lose your DLC if you bought any.

Can you say with certainty that is true? Did it happen to you? Because if you do a full System Transfer and copy over everything on your SD card (or just use your current SD card in your new 3DS XL), you shouldn't lose anything, including DLC. But if this happened to you and you're speaking from experience, it would be a good thing to know. That would be... quite the issue.

NeOak

Can you say with certainty that is true? Did it happen to you? Because if you do a full System Transfer and copy over everything on your SD card (or just use your current SD card in your new 3DS XL), you shouldn't lose anything, including DLC. But if this happened to you and you're speaking from experience, it would be a good thing to know. That would be... quite the issue.

DLC is tied to your system serial number. So unless you transfer the stuff with an internet connection, bye bye.

Yes, because the original question asked was "Will I lose anything if I don't do a System Transfer"

zroid

Banned
thanks i think i'll skip it then and get Rhythm Heaven Fever instead or something ;)

Hah, well you definitely cannot go wrong with RHF.

Theatrhythm is a good game though, you might find yourself actually wanting to go out and play some FF games afterwards. I know I do, even those I hadn't previously.

Soul Beat

Hah, well you definitely cannot go wrong with RHF.

Theatrhythm is a good game though, you might find yourself actually wanting to go out and play some FF games afterwards. I know I do, even those I hadn't previously.

Ain't that the truth. I went ahead and bought FFVIII and IX after playing Theatrhythm.

Nemesis_

Ain't that the truth. I went ahead and bought FFVIII and IX after playing Theatrhythm.

I purchased Dissidia because there's no way I have the time to play more FF games (again) at the moment.

I cannot wait to dive back into the PSX trilogy and FFX though. =P

neoemonk

I think I'm going to pick this up when I get paid later this week. Is it hard to find now? I saw it was selling for $58 on Amazon. In the US btw.

keep hearing about this game, i am also not THAT great an FF nut, is this worth it as an actual rhythm game by itself or is the fanservice the biggest part of it's appeal?

I don't have much of a history with Final Fantasy, and I think this game is fantastic. It's all about the music, and it plays and sounds great. Fans of the series certainly can get some extra enjoyment out of the songs though.

So I believe we have a new winner for "hardest Ultimate Score BMS": A Contest of Aeons. Nothing included in the game or any of the other DLC even comes close to how that song's difficulty on Ultimate... and this comes from someone who's easily SSed every Ultimate Score available.

Haha, I think you're right...at one point in the song I felt like I wasn't in control at all. It's a pretty exciting Ultimate Score.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I don't have much of a history with Final Fantasy, and I think this game is fantastic. It's all about the music, and it plays and sounds great. Fans of the series certainly can get some extra enjoyment out of the songs though.

I would describe it as a very good, but not great Rhythm game. If you like the genre you should enjoy it. Being a FF fan obviously enhances the experience but at its core the music is varied and enjoyable. I am something of a lapsed fan of the series and this game hauled me right back in.

DLC is tied to your system serial number. So unless you transfer the stuff with an internet connection, bye bye.

Yes, because the original question asked was "Will I lose anything if I don't do a System Transfer"

Yeah, my bad -- I read the original question as "will I lose anything if I do a system transfer?" So yeah, my goof. Thanks for correcting me!

Nice! Not sure if you've played them before considering your other recent post, but they're both excellent games that are well worth your time and money. While I'd give IX the nod for "best PS1 FF," VIII has probably my favorite soundtrack in the series.

I purchased Dissidia because there's no way I have the time to play more FF games (again) at the moment.

I cannot wait to dive back into the PSX trilogy and FFX though. =P

Aside from IX, VIII, and VII, I really want to replay FF X as well -- it's my favorite one in the series. I'm trying to hold off for FF X HD, though... but who knows how long it'll take Square Enix to push it out.

clemenx

Banned
Just made my way to the +90lvl Dark Notes and the rotating slide triggers may have ruined the game for me. -____- Whose idea was that?

Oh god, FF X's Battle Theme and Movement in Green... I hope this week's US DLC includes at least one of those. Even though it probably won't, since our and Europe's DLC schedules have been totally different.

Well, at least that confirms that Square intends to keep releasing the rest of the DLC in Western territories beyond the schedule they emailed out awhile back.

Noi

So I'm sitting at an airport gate right after Otakon. Managed to snag all the proficard trophies in a day with just occasionally opening my 3DS to streetpass, it was pretty nuts. So many level 99 dark notes too.

So I picked it up yesterday, played through all of the Series mode, to about level 20 on Chaos Shrine, got 10,000 rp and the ending, cleared Expert on all of my favorite songs on Challenge mode, and even bought a couple DLC songs. And... I'm kind of not feeling the love. I think there are some definite issues that keep Theatrhythm from being all it can be either as a rhythm game or as 25th Anniversary FF fanservice. A slightly disappointing 7/10 for me.

As a game, Theatrhythm (gonna call it TR because that is quite annoying to spell out every time) just doesn't have a very satisfying sense of progression when compared with any of the Ouendan games or Rhythm Heaven games. Having gotten as far as I have after playing the game for 5 or 6 hours, I don't feel much of a compulsion to pick it up again. Sure, there's a lot left to do, song unlocks and character unlocks to pursue, but the indirect method of doing so kills any motivation I have by making it unclear when exactly I will get something new that I actually want. Or I guess I could go back and try to clear Ultimate level on songs I enjoy. But the steep difficulty curve, going from complete lack of any difficulty on the Basic & Expert levels (cleared every one on the first try), followed by the extreme difficulty of Ultimate (fail within the first 30 seconds) again kills any motivation I have.

I think the main problem is that the desire to get better at songs I like and the desire to get more stuff are at odds with each other. I can practice songs on Ultimate and not get much rp (do you get rp for practicing songs?) and thus barely progress to my next song unlock, or I can go back to Series mode (dear god no) to get rp, but be stuck playing easy versions of songs or tapping along to the prelude again. Compare that to the Ouendan or Rhythm Heaven games, where the desire to get better and the desire to see more work perfectly together by giving you more to do as you get better and master each song. It's direct. Beat four stages and you get a remix of those stages. Beat Shanghai Honey and Taiyou ga Moetteiru and you unlock Ready Steady Go. And an actual story and conclusion, by the way. The Ouendan games have a great difficulty curve that not only rewards you by presenting you with progressively more and more difficult songs, but by giving you a difficulty curve within each song as well by breaking each song up into sections, making each new section a challenge as compared to the last, and then rewarding you for completing each section. I'm not getting anything like that in Theatrhythm.

What does TR have instead? Grinding. I suppose this makes sense given that progression in a JRPG has always been more about the time you sink into it rather than the skills the game has taught you, but it's still disappointing. I would have rather had a rhythm game first and a RPG second than the other way around. And the RPG aspects of it aren't even particularly satisfying. I see numbers go up after every song, and occasionally I can equip a new ability or item, and I understand that on some level doing so may affect something happening in the background as I'm playing a song, but it's very attenuated and inconsequential, and certainly doesn't provide the kind of motivation to get better present in the best of the rhythm genre.

So given the above, TR has beautifully preserved the FF staple of grinding to level up. Great. Unfortunately there wasn't much of the stuff I actually enjoyed in FF games in TR. Granted my love for the series has certainly waned since the 16-bit days, but I expected for sure this game would utilize more of the nostalgia I have for the era given the way it was marketed. So far the game has given me stylized versions of two or three characters, locations, and monsters from each series, two or three sentences about each of those characters and monsters, and... a 30 second highlight reel from each game. That's it? Gotta say I was expecting a lot more. The Event stages really suffer to me. First off they're handicapped by being set to some of the slowest, least fun songs to play, and then the clip reel isn't even translated. Plus they're just scenes completely out of context, out of focus in the background as you concentrate on the markers. The one time I got a feeling of nostalgia out of any of those clips was seeing Tellah bust out meteo and do 9999 damage. Again, compare that to either of the "sappy" songs from the Ouendan games, which were much more successful at provoking an emotional response despite using music and a story I had no personal connection to. The event scenes, the whole game really, deserved something more.

The one thing the game really has going for it is the music selection, but that alone isn't enough to make up for the shortcomings as a rhythm game or as an anniversary celebration. I already have the CDs. Maybe the music alone would have been enough if there was like twice the amount of what's included on the cart. 5-8 songs per game isn't going to cut it when the Prelude keeps popping up over and over. If this is really a celebration of Final Fantasy's music, give us more breadth in terms of games covered, give us more depth in terms of songs per game, and give us orchestrated versions in addition to the 8- and 16-bit originals. Ah well.

So, in the end a slightly disappointed 7/10. The game kind of feels like the bare minimum they could have done, and no more.

Ragus

Banned
I've just passed 10k point of Rhytmia. This game is great. I have two questions (and I know that they have probably been covered already, but this thread has quite a lot of pages. I checked the OP, and I haven't found answers).

So:

1. I've played the first Dark Note 3 times, and every time I had the same boss. Bad luck? Or am I doing something wrong?

2. How do you
unlock more songs? I just got Dancing Mad from VI. More Rhytmia=More songs? I really want to unlock more songs from VII :).

Javier

1. I've played the first Dark Note 3 times, and every time I had the same boss. Bad luck? Or am I doing something wrong?

2. How do you
unlock more songs? I just got Dancing Mad from VI. More Rhytmia=More songs? I really want to unlock more songs from VII :).
1.- That depends. What boss are you getting, 1, 2 or 3?

2.- Pretty much, yes. You unlock the final song when you
reach 45,000 Rhytmia

Top Bottom