• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

Noi

Oh right, I kept thinking that I would actually hear the real opera version, with the three singers, but I guess they're only sticking to the original tracks. That's fair enough. lol

As for the progression... I dunno, I just did all the songs in that section that lets you play songs from each game, 5 at a time. All there seems to be left to do is to move on to the Challenge mode and redo all the songs on expert, unless there's something else I'm not seeing?

Once you do all the songs on expert in Challenge mode for a particular series, you'll unlock the Expert course version in Series mode. Repeat for Ultimate scores unlocking the Ultimate Courses.

Aside from that, you still have a few more songs to unlock via Rhythmia, as well as the extra characters to unlock if you haven't gotten them yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Once you do all the songs on expert in Challenge mode for a particular series, you'll unlock the Expert course version in Series mode. Repeat for Ultimate scores unlocking the Ultimate Courses.

Aside from that, you still have a few more songs to unlock via Rhythmia, as well as the extra characters to unlock if you haven't gotten them yet.
Ah, I see. The game doesn't really tell you what to do after you finish Series mode.

I assume stats and whatnot actually come into play in Expert mode? At the moment, I have no idea what I should be equipping and what items I should be using, if any.

Noi

Ah, I see. The game doesn't really tell you what to do after you finish Series mode.

I assume stats and whatnot actually come into play in Expert mode? At the moment, I have no idea what I should be equipping and what items I should be using, if any.

Ideally, you should be using no Equipment/Abilities in Series and Challenge mode, since it gives you the Stoic bonus for better score. If you don't think you can go through the harder songs/courses without them there's no shame in doing so, though the highest score you can get is an S rank by using them.

Chaos Shrine is another story. You don't get ranked for score when doing Dark Notes, and you WANT to take as many monsters as you can for more EXP/Item drops. If you're going Stoic, the only stat that really matters is HP, since that's how many mistakes you can make before losing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ideally, you should be using no Equipment/Abilities in Series and Challenge mode, since it gives you the Stoic bonus for better score. If you don't think you can go through the harder songs/courses without them there's no shame in doing so, though the highest score you can get is an S rank by using them.

Chaos Shrine is another story. You don't get ranked for score when doing Dark Notes, and you WANT to take as many monsters as you can for more EXP/Item drops. If you're going Stoic, the only stat that really matters is HP, since that's how many mistakes you can make before losing.

Ah, okay. What does a higher rank get you in Series and Challenge mode? More RM points and experience?

Noi

Ah, okay. What does a higher rank get you in Series and Challenge mode? More RM points and experience?

More or less, but only for FMS and EMS. EXP gained from BMS stages is entirely dependent on how many/what types of monsters you beat during the song, so that's the only one where the Stoic bonus will hamper your EXP gain.

On the plus side, going Stoic disables the Feature Drive, meaning you can fill out the Critical Chart for the song where the Chocobo/Summon/Extended Cut segment would be without having to fail notes on purpose.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
More or less, but only for FMS and EMS. EXP gained from BMS stages is entirely dependent on how many/what types of monsters you beat during the song, so that's the only one where the Stoic bonus will hamper your EXP gain.

On the plus side, going Stoic disables the Feature Drive, meaning you can fill out the Critical Chart for the song where the Chocobo/Summon/Extended Cut segment would be without having to fail notes on purpose.
So many things I don't understand. lol

Is there a reason to fill out the Critical Chart over the Feature Chart?

So many things I don't understand. lol

Is there a reason to fill out the Critical Chart over the Feature Chart?

In order to fill the Total Critical chart on each song, you have to play through it at least twice, once with the Feature Drive achieved and once without, and get a Critical on each note in at least one playthrough. Doing this gives you a nice little crown on the stats screen.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In order to fill the Total Critical chart on each song, you have to play through it at least twice, once with the Feature Drive achieved and once without, and get a Critical on each note in at least one playthrough. Doing this gives you a nice little crown on the stats screen.
I suppose all this trophy stuff would be more interesting if Nintendo got off their butts and made it so that you could show them off or something!

ghibli99

I just have to say that the fact that they put popular songs in here like Battle on the Big Bridge (Gilgamesh), Man w/ the Machine Gun, One-Winged Angel, etc. instead of making them DLC is very cool. Could have easily gone the other way and been very ugly. But so far, I've really liked the musical choices.

Lies. I refused to believe these are possible. S on all Ultimate? That's totally photoshop.

Nah, I did it, too. With Stoic mode and enough practice, it's totally feasible. Some of the BMS songs are the biggest challenges, but they're not insurmountable.

I'm still missing a lot of characters, though, so back to Dark Notes for me - and then I guess I'll try to fill more Critical Charts and triple-S rank more of the songs. Whoo!

EDIT: I agree that the musical selections, on the whole, are pretty strong. Although I would have seriously preferred a different Chocobo theme - c'mon, Ukelele de Chocobo (FFIX) is miles better than Mambo!

Het_Nkik

So what song/Dark Note does
Ozma
show up in? I have the card for it but I don't think I've encountered it in any stages, which is why I'm pretty sure I'm missing the trophy for fighting every enemy in the game or whatever.

New DLC tonight! I'm quite excited, especially for "A Contest of Aeons" (FF X) and "The Archylte Steppe" (FF XIII). American player here, obviously.

EDIT:

... and it's up! To recap:

"The Crystal Cave" (Final Fantasy III FMS)
"A Contest of Aeons" (Final Fantasy X BMS)
"The Sanctuary of Zi'Tah" (Final Fantasy XI FMS)
"The Archylte Steppe" (Final Fantasy XIII FMS)

Snagging every song except for the FF XI one, since I've never heard it. But I'll YouTube it and, if I like it, pick it up later on down the line when I'm hungry for more new songs.

That brings us to the end of the DLC that Square has officially scheduled for North America. I assume they're planning on eventually giving us all of the DLC that Japan has, so I hope they release an August schedule soon to dash my fears that they might actually stop here...

zroid

Banned
I couldn't find links to Contest of Aeons and Crystal Cave, so if any turn up lmk!

EDIT: also someone from Europe please post your DLC!

I couldn't find links to Contest of Aeons and Crystal Cave, so if any turn up lmk!

EDIT: also someone from Europe please post your DLC!

I did, on the last page.

Tower of the Magi (FF02 - FMS)
Battle 1 (FF05 - BMS)
The Darkness of Eternity (FF09 - BMS)
Desperate Fight (FF12 - BMS)

It's the Japanese DLC, minus Somnus for some reason.

Realized you had to earn 1000 Rhythmia to unlock the chaos shrine, and thus the ability to streetpass, last night. With Otakon effectively starting today, I lost a little sleep chaining my way through FF6 then doing whatever dark note it gave me just so I'd be ready for the convention.

I hope I end up with enough free time to actually play the game in earnest soon.

Javier

As someone who has played very little FF, just how big are the spoilers in the EMS videos? Some of these look like very important plot events in their games.

Almyn

20 hrs in the grind for crystal fragments has started and I am starting to lose interest. The Chaos shrine gets really tough at higher lvls, I can't beat the bosses on some 90+ stages even with lvl 99 characters and I still haven't found a single black crystal.

Pretty fun game but not much of a FF fan. Feels like i'm missing something with this game.

Nostalgia and context, probably, ha.

20 hrs in the grind for crystal fragments has started and I am starting to lose interest. The Chaos shrine gets really tough at higher lvls, I can't beat the bosses on some 90+ stages even with lvl 99 characters and I still haven't found a single black crystal.

My suggestion is to move on other challenges. Grinding Dark Notes is only enjoyable for so long, but if you want more success earning crystals, my strategy is often to use characters at lower levels who will collectively produce a lower-level Dark Note, and then bring in the power-houses (Warrior of Light, Zidane, Squall and Cloud are a good group with the right abilities equipped) to slice through enemies very quickly. Make sure you're using "boss-activated" abilities to speed up their death. I've earned quite a few shards this way.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Start beating them with lower level characters, so you unlock lower level notes. The crystals are actually tiered to note levels. It's a good idea to try and get the lowest level note you can that still enters the tier you want, so you have the best chance of killing the boss (hopefully multiple times). I've got a black shard showing on a level 52 note, so you definitely don't need to be in the 90s.

Het_Nkik

As someone who has played very little FF, just how big are the spoilers in the EMS videos? Some of these look like very important plot events in their games.

I honestly couldn't even tell you what's going on in those videos. I'm too focused on the notes up front to even look at the background.

Also, I totally scratched my screen playing this game, which makes playing the Field stages really annoying. Every time I slide a Hold note up or down it passes over the scratch which I can feel with the stylus. Sigh.

Reached max. Rhythmia, got 12 characters to Level 99

Thankfully I have a Dark Note with one Magic Pot in it. Just gotta get more EXP Hound Scrolls

Reached max. Rhythmia, got 12 characters to Level 99

Thankfully I have a Dark Note with one Magic Pot in it. Just gotta get more EXP Hound Scrolls

Do you know if certain enemies drop EXP Hound scrolls, or if they show up more often after clearing certain songs? I've been looking to get more, but I can't seem to find any...

Do you know if certain enemies drop EXP Hound scrolls, or if they show up more often after clearing certain songs? I've been looking to get more, but I can't seem to find any...
If you have the DLC song "A Fleeting Dream" from FFX, the Ultimate Score of that song drops EXP Hound scrolls quite often.

It's not a hard song either, so grinding it is easy.

wrowa

In general it takes too long to unlock anything in this game, imo.

Xavien

From what i've read Jenova and Shinryu (White dragon) drop EXP hound scrolls, so one-winged angel Ultimate is probably your best bet (Also from experience i can say this is the truth). Or like MaverickHunterAsh said, A Fleeting Dream DLC also drops them.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o

If you have the DLC song "A Fleeting Dream" from FFX, the Ultimate Score of that song drops EXP Hound scrolls quite often.

It's not a hard song either, so grinding it is easy.

From what i've read Jenova and Shinryu (White dragon) drop EXP hound scrolls, so one-winged angel Ultimate is probably your best bet (Also from experience i can say this is the truth). Or like MaverickHunterAsh said, A Fleeting Dream DLC also drops them.

What about EXP Up scrolls? Anyone found a good song or three to get those?

I'm not sure about challenge songs, but I've seen them a bunch of times as boss rewards in Dark Notes.

Man, I wish I could get a Dark Note with a magic pot

linko9

So many system updates on the 3DS... it's getting worse than the PS3. Picked up Crystal cave and Archylte step after dealing with that.

Top Bottom