• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

zeemumu

That makes 2 out of 3 Forbidden Journeys in 3D. Hopefully Orlando's gets converted at some point.

Noticed that we're not getting Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge too. I hope Flight of the Hippogriff is just as good, but from the name and the description "family friendly" it may just be a toned down coaster. Or they could be referring to Revenge of the Mummy.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I have a reason to go to Universal Hollywood next year!. And finally we get some details on the land. Wish Hollywood had room for Diagon Alley. That place is jaw dropping.

zeemumu

I have a reason to go to Universal Hollywood next year!. And finally we get some details on the land. Wish Hollywood had room for Diagon Alley. That place is jaw dropping.

They would have if they hadn't built Springfield (which is open right now if I remember correctly. I haven't been back there in a few months so I have no impressions on that area.). Hogwarts is wedged between Shrek and Springfield. I'm still a little angry that they got rid of Doc Brown's fried chicken place for more Simpsons.

Actually, a bunch of soundstages in USH were recently demolished or are slated for demolition. Could possibly be for Diagon Alley or Nintendo.

Nelo Ice

Banned
They would have if they hadn't built Springfield (which is open right now if I remember correctly. I haven't been back there in a few months so I have no impressions on that area.). Hogwarts is wedged between Shrek and Springfield. I'm still a little angry that they got rid of Doc Brown's fried chicken place for more Simpsons.

I haven't been in over a decade. Last time I was there, the Mummy was the newest attraction haha. The Simpsons land in Orlando is awesome though.

Actually, a bunch of soundstages in USH were recently demolished or are slated for demolition. Could possibly be for Diagon Alley or Nintendo.

Forgot about Nintendo. I am now conflicted. We need way more room in Hollywood since dammit I want both and them some!.

zeemumu

Which ones are you referring to? They had the construction for the Simpsons area, The Hogwarts area, whatever is going in place of the House of Horrors construction zone, and Fast and the Furious. Those are the only ones I know that had soundstage renovations. Was there another?
Forgot about Nintendo. I am now conflicted. We need way more room in Hollywood since dammit I want both and them some!.

It's a movie studio first and a theme park second. I don't think they'll be willing to carve out more of the soundstages for rides right now. Orlando has the fortune of not having a movie studio take up half of the land. In order to get new stuff we have to tear down the old. That's why we don't have E.T. or House of Horrors anymore. Although I guess if they really wanted to, they could get rid of the War of the Worlds set. They probably won't use it again outside of being a Halloween Horror Nights setpiece and it's close enough to the main park to connect, I think.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Which ones are you referring to? They had the construction for the Simpsons area, The Hogwarts area, whatever is going in place of the House of Horrors construction zone, and Fast and the Furious. Those are the only ones I know that had soundstage renovations. Was there another?

It's a movie studio first and a theme park second. I don't think they'll be willing to carve out more of the soundstages for rides right now. Orlando has the fortune of not having a movie studio take up half of the land.

Stop making sense :(. I'm just being selfish since I want to be able to go to Hollywood for everything rather than making the trip out to Orlando for all the cool shit Uni is doing lol.

22-27 and 33-36. Not sure where those are, or how much room it'll make, but it could potentially lead to something.

Stop making sense :(. I'm just being selfish since I want to be able to go to Hollywood for everything rather than making the trip out to Orlando for all the cool shit Uni is doing lol.

You'll have to make the trip if Orlando gets the rumored Avengers E-ticket ;)

zeemumu

You and me both. I've been to Universal Orlando twice in my life. One of those times was unplanned. I was in Florida with my family visiting relatives and convinced them to allow me to go see Wizarding World of Harry Potter while we were down there (I apparently have +10 persuasion because I really wasn't expecting them to say yes at the time) and it was great. But we need more land out here. They won't tear down a soundstage unless it hasn't had use in a long time. I think the closest ride-sized soundstage is the one currently being used for The Voice and part of the old Backdraft set that wasn't used for Transformers. Granted, if they had a really good reason I would willingly sacrifice Waterworld for something potentially cooler.

22-27 and 33-36. Not sure where those are, or how much room it'll make, but it could potentially lead to something.

I took a look at which soundstages those are.
17436407081_a36fae167c_c.jpg
I don't think they're for anything that I mentioned above. From what I can tell they're on the lower lot and Hogwarts is on the upper lot so Diagon Alley might not be it, but it doesn't appear to be anything that we know so far. Cautiously optimistic for something cool because that's a decent amount of room if they clear it out.

I took a look at which soundstages those are.

I don't think they're for anything that I mentioned above. From what I can tell they're on the lower lot and Hogwarts is on the upper lot so Diagon Alley might not be it, but it doesn't appear to be anything that we know so far. Cautiously optimistic for something cool because that's a decent amount of room if they clear it out.

That might lend some support for Diagon lol. Apparently WB and JK Rowling wanted a considerable distance between the Potter lands in Orlando (to fit the series canon), so maybe the upper lot/lower lot distinction at USH could play a similar role as the USF/IoA dynamic at UOR?

If not, I think Nintendo would be a very safe bet.

zeemumu

That might lend some support for Diagon lol. Apparently WB and JK Rowling wanted a considerable distance between the Potter lands in Orlando (to fit the series canon), so maybe the upper lot/lower lot distinction at USH could play a similar role as the USF/IoA dynamic at UOR?

If not, I think Nintendo would be a very safe bet.

If that's true, then yeah, that'd be an ideal place. I feel like I'd lean more towards nintendo land if we knew more about it, but right now it's just a concept, and it seems unlikely that they'd clear land based on a concept.

So someone fucked up when designing the smiler, or was it just that is badly built?
Didnt know there had been so many problems with it.

And what the fuck a full 2 car crash, what is this RCT?

Also Nintendo at hollywood first? That would be interesting, but I still thing orlando will be the first.

Jag

I haven't been in over a decade. Last time I was there, the Mummy was the newest attraction haha. The Simpsons land in Orlando is awesome though.

I forgot Uni Hollywood was even there. Last time I was there was in late 80s!

Yeah, last time I went to Universal Hollywood (at least, into the actual park, I've been to CityWalk in recent years), it still had the Back to the Future and Terminator rides.

MadmanUK

I've been to Alton Towers twice over the past couple of years and both times The Smiler was closed for "maintenance". Looks like a complete disaster that they will probably have to completely revamp and rebrand the ride completely.

zeemumu

Wait what?
Thank god I went when terminator was still alive.
Too bad i couldnt see the BTTF one, but at least the simpsons ride was fun.

The Despicable Me Ride. You put on the glasses and go into a large auditorium in front of a massive screen that has several ride vehicles that seat about 3 each. It's basically the same ride mechanics as BTTF and Simpsons but you can see the other cars and the motion isn't as intense.

aparisi2274

Wait what?
Thank god I went when terminator was still alive.
Too bad i couldnt see the BTTF one, but at least the simpsons ride was fun.

BTTF had to go, it really showed its age, and was no longer a fun ride.

Terminator at USF is always rumored to be on the chopping block since it is based on a movie from 1992... perhaps if the new one coming out later this summer is a hit, Universal might drop some coin into it and revamp it... but who knows.

Gnilres

Just came back from Kings Island here's what I rode today in order of riding

The Bat (Formerly Top Gun)
Adventure Express
The Racer
The Beast
Flight of Fear
Vortex
Windseeker
Diamondback
Firehawk
Banshee
Invertigo
Flight of Fear

Had a great day and my highlights from these rides are Flight of Fear's launch, Diamondback's first drop, how absolutely terrifying Firehawk is and
Adventure Expresses ending lol

Gnilres

Shame on you for not ending your visit on the Beast! It's absolutely spectacular at night.

I'll be down on Sunday for the Coastin' For Kids event. Any of you doing one of these at the other Cedar Fair parks?

I only stayed until about 7:30 =(

No night rides for me, but now I have an excuse to stay later next time I go

BTTF is in Japan, and Terminator is in Orlando, if you're so inclined ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Please Universal japan, do not change the ride until I experience it lol

The Despicable Me Ride. You put on the glasses and go into a large auditorium in front of a massive screen that has several ride vehicles that seat about 3 each. It's basically the same ride mechanics as BTTF and Simpsons but you can see the other cars and the motion isn't as intense.

Been in one of those at a spanish park, not good. Also I dont realli like Despicable Me so...
Its a pity, had a lot of fun with the terminator one.

BTTF had to go, it really showed its age, and was no longer a fun ride.

Terminator at USF is always rumored to be on the chopping block since it is based on a movie from 1992... perhaps if the new one coming out later this summer is a hit, Universal might drop some coin into it and revamp it... but who knows.

Of course, but is pretty sad for people who have never had the possibility to go in this rides they've always wanted to (and changed for worst rides or franchises).
Still, cant be surprised as its the normal thing to do.

Everything by Vekoma, Dinn and Sommers and TOGO loudly disagree with you.

Well not everything at Vekoma. Warner Bros Park in Madrid has probably the best Vekoma coaster ive ever been to. A 90º boomerang that (at least all the times Ive been) is exciting and with very few Vekoma vibrations.

jay23

Is there anymore info on that new universal water park? I just heard about it today, is it supposed to replace wet n wild?

aparisi2274

Jurassic Park River Adventure is one of my favorites at night, if you don't mind getting wet that late. Hulk is also incredible - it's like you get launched out of that tube into oblivion.

Any reason why?

The new Kong attraction has got to be intense at night... the theming on that facade at night is probably going to be amazing

The new Kong attraction has got to be intense at night... the theming on that facade at night is probably going to be amazing

As far as I'm concerned, that ride isn't even going to be open when it's light out. Kong after dark is going to be something else.

Halloween Horror Nights amps Jurassic Park at night up a notch.

Wish they'd amp it up in Florida like in Hollywood, but Horror Nights out here is only in the Studios.

zeemumu

As far as I'm concerned, that ride isn't even going to be open when it's light out. Kong after dark is going to be something else.

Wish they'd amp it up in Florida like in Hollywood, but Horror Nights out here is only in the Studios.

They might. I know they've had a few that were in the Islands as well. Terra Cruentas was just the Islands of Adventure, right?

zeemumu

They haven't done HHN at Islands for years. I'm not sure if they changed JPRA when they last did Islands of Fear.

Ah okay. But at least there's the upside that Universal Orlando puts some AMAZING detail into their Halloween revamps. They have full storylines on their websites, plots that span the entirety of the park, icons with fully fleshed out backstories, great scarezones and houses, etc. They put their all into it. At Hollywood we kinda just get a watered down version of that. The plus is the terror tram because it's awesome to walk through the actual movie sets as one large haunted house, but we don't have that many scarezones, and everything fills kinda jagged and slammed together. Orlando wins by a longshot when it comes to Halloween.

I really regret missing the Bloody Mary year. Hopefully they'll bring her back. Jack's good too, though the clown thing is kinda wearing on me a bit. This is his 3rd time having a year to himself and his 5th appearing as a major player, right?

Nelo Ice

Banned
Ah okay. But at least there's the upside that Universal Orlando puts some AMAZING detail into their Halloween revamps. They have full storylines on their websites, plots that span the entirety of the park, icons with fully fleshed out backstories, great scarezones and houses, etc. They put their all into it. At Hollywood we kinda just get a watered down version of that. The plus is the terror tram because it's awesome to walk through the actual movie sets as one large haunted house, but we don't have that many scarezones, and everything fills kinda jagged and slammed together. Orlando wins by a longshot when it comes to Halloween.

I really regret missing the Bloody Mary year. Hopefully they'll bring her back. Jack's good too, though the clown thing is kinda wearing on me a bit. This is his 3rd time having a year to himself and his 5th appearing as a major player, right?

Have never been to Hollywood HHN but Orlando put on a great show last year. Was able to do every house, go through every scare zone, and watch Bill and Ted and the Rocky Horror Picture show in one night. Sadly nothing really scared me but I did get a kick out of some other guest reactions.

see5harp

I saw Spingfield at Universal Hollywood a few weeks back and honestly I was expecting a lot more. It's so small. I know they basically had a straight line to work with but damn the highlight was some maple donuts with bacon (WOW SO ZANY).

zeemumu

I saw Spingfield at Universal Hollywood a few weeks back and honestly I was expecting a lot more. It's so small. I know they basically had a straight line to work with but damn the highlight was some maple donuts with bacon (WOW SO ZANY).

I'm going next week. I'm not expecting much to begin with so it'll be fine. Plus it give me an excuse to visit Thing From Another World Comics again.

I've always been a little annoyed that Disneyland doesn't sell Kingdom Heart merchandise anywhere. They sell those little plushies from that mobile game, they sell nightmare before christmas stuff, they sell pretty much anything remotely Disney-related, but nothing Kingdom Hearts. I saw something on Micechat about someone who apparently found a keychain in the gift shop in tomorrowland but that lead turned into a dead end. The only technical Disneyland Kingdom Hearts merchandise that I have is a collectible trading pin from the 2.5 HD Remix. Come on, not even a heartless plushie? a keyblade keychain? Anything?

Top Bottom