• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

see5harp

I'm going next week. I'm not expecting much to begin with so it'll be fine. Plus it give me an excuse to visit Thing From Another World Comics again.

I've always been a little annoyed that Disneyland doesn't sell Kingdom Heart merchandise anywhere. They sell those little plushies from that mobile game, they sell nightmare before christmas stuff, they sell pretty much anything remotely Disney-related, but nothing Kingdom Hearts. I saw something on Micechat about someone who apparently found a keychain in the gift shop in tomorrowland but that lead turned into a dead end. The only technical Disneyland Kingdom Hearts merchandise that I have is a collectible trading pin from the 2.5 HD Remix. Come on, not even a heartless plushie? a keyblade keychain? Anything?

TFAW is admittedly pretty cool. Don't actually buy any comics there though.

muteki

Yeah I really hoped for the best and that it would still be Frozen characters showing you around Norway, not Arrendale.

Good thing for me the lines will be so long I'll probably never ride it.

zeemumu

TFAW is admittedly pretty cool. Don't actually buy any comics there though.

Oh I know. I go there for the random items.

In other news I just got this shirt.

t-mco-highwire-harley_2.png

Xun

It's a shame Disney were cheap and decided to ruin EPCOT even further.

Frozen belongs in the Magic Kingdom.

zeemumu

I received a passholder invitation in the mail to go check out the Fast and Furious Supercharged preview before it opens to the public on the 26th.

Reading the Frozen article again and this really stuck out to me

Disney executives and designers started discussing a “Frozen” ride before the film even came out, said chief operating officer Tom Staggs, who ran the theme park unit until February. But “our urgency grew as the film really took off,” he said, and “we purposefully set a really audacious goal to get this thing done.” That’s one of the reasons why it’s a makeover of Maelstrom, rather than an entirely new attraction that would take longer to build.

WHAT? This a fuckin' retheme and the timetable isn't drastically than Skull Island's - a cutting edge ride being built from scratch. smh. This should be a one year build, max.

zeemumu, you should check out Fast and Furious and let us know how it is :)

Was listening to the Inside Universal podcast last night and there was an interesting discussion on how Universal Hollywood will handle the Potter crowds. The consensus was that they simply can't - infrastructure like parking, and overall park capacity just isn't there. It's going to be a nightmare. Will be interesting to see what happens.

zeemumu

Was listening to the Inside Universal podcast last night and there was an interesting discussion on how Universal Hollywood will handle the Potter crowds. The consensus was that they simply can't - infrastructure like parking, and overall park capacity just isn't there. It's going to be a nightmare. Will be interesting to see what happens.

They'll send in death eaters to thin out the crowd. It'll be fine

And I will!

aparisi2274

Reading the Frozen article again and this really stuck out to me

WHAT? This a fuckin' retheme and the timetable isn't drastically than Skull Island's - a cutting edge ride being built from scratch. smh. This should be a one year build, max.

The fact that Universal Orlando demolished a building, cleared the land, built a new building and had Transformers up and running in one year is just a slap in the face to Disney.

Same applies to London Potter area. Jaws the Ride closed in January of 2012. London Potter opened July 2014. 2yrs 7mos to clear a HUGE piece of land, and build an insane amount of stuff...

Disney can't even build a stage for a proper Frozen ride in that time... shame really...

zeemumu

The fact that Universal Orlando demolished a building, cleared the land, built a new building and had Transformers up and running in one year is just a slap in the face to Disney.

Same applies to London Potter area. Jaws the Ride closed in January of 2012. London Potter opened July 2014. 2yrs 7mos to clear a HUGE piece of land, and build an insane amount of stuff...

Disney can't even build a stage for a proper Frozen ride in that time... shame really...

Universal might just be better at it. They have to tear down sets in those soundstages all the time. They've got it down to an art by now. Tear it down, put something else up.

Not to mention that Transformers was in the middle of the park - restricting vehicle and worker access and probably slowing things down.

Goldrusher

Disneyland Paris officially announces:

------------------

Space Mountain
- repainted, new paintings, banners, control towers
- all internal stairs revamped
- all lighting replaced by LEDs
- single rider queue
- cleaned and repainted lagoon
- restored water effects

Videopolis
- extensive refurbishments
- new show Jedi Training Academy

It's A Small World
- major facelift with a new façade color
- all new dolls and costumes
- remastered musical score
- some new surprises

------------------

Peter Pan's Flight
- make-over
- fresh color palate
- revamped lighting

Animagique
- completely re-imagined
- new show

Adventure Isle
- restoring the Swiss Family Robinson Tree
- new paint, horticulture, effects
- renovation of the waterfalls

Big Thunder Mountain
- major refurbishment
- new surprises, including "one of the most explosive"

------------------

Space Mountain
- new trains, more comfortable

Star Tours
- re-imagined
- new adventure

Pirates of the Caribbean
- major reimagining
- Captain Jack Sparrow will join along with a few surprise characters
- new lighting
- remastered audio
- new effects, mainly for the hurricane scene and treasure room

Studio Tram Tour
- 3 new scenes

This was exactly what I though when I was reading the article... can you imagine how long it would take them if they were building something from scratch? It'd be utterly ridiculous...

It always baffles me as to why Disney take so long to do things when Universal are capable of putting something out of equal or higher quality (I mean just look how awesome Diagon Alley is!) in a much shorter time-frame.

I got up to Cedar Point yesterday. The new restraints on Maverick make a world of difference. It's my favorite ride at the park. It sits somewhere in the company of Manta, Bizarro, Banshee, and Dominator in my rankings of favorite looping steel coasters.

Oh, here's a cool photo. I love my Nikon D3300.

Xun

------------------

Space Mountain
- single rider queue
- restored water effects

Videopolis

It's A Small World
- some new surprises

------------------

Peter Pan's Flight
- make-over
- fresh color palate
- revamped lighting

Animagique
- completely re-imagined
- new show

Adventure Isle

Big Thunder Mountain
- major refurbishment

------------------

Space Mountain

Star Tours
- re-imagined
- new adventure

Pirates of the Caribbean
- major reimagining
- new lighting
- remastered audio

Studio Tram Tour
- 3 new scenes
Good stuff.

Speaking of Big Thunder, hopefully the one in the Magic Kingdom gets upgraded soon.

It already paled in comparison to the DLR counterpart, let alone after the recent additions.

Hey guys, new member here, well I joined few months ago but just found this thread through a friend. I'm a hardcore roller coaster enthusiast, have an ACE membership and a season pass for Cedar Fair parks. Have ridden 358 roller coasters in 71 parks, I collect roller coaster credits like people collect amiibos, post stamps, coins, etc.

Looking forward to share our passion from now on! :)

Edit: Or just look at my username :p

gsrjedi

When they say "re-imagined," do they mean that they still have the old one and are transferring to the new one or are they actually getting an entirely different one?

Yep, they still have the original version. I'm guessing this will be them getting the new version.

I wonder if it's possible for them to add new scenes to Star Tours.

brerwolfe

Freddy vs Jason house just announced for HHN Orlando. The Michael Myers house last year was my favorite in years. Hoping they can do something fun with this one, too.

zeemumu

Freddy vs Jason house just announced for HHN Orlando. The Michael Myers house last year was my favorite in years. Hoping they can do something fun with this one, too.

I just came in to post this. I found out from Ed Boon, no less. Damn it, Boon. Put Freddy in MK X so I can live the dream!

I was pretty pleased with the Alien vs. Predator House last year (the facehuggers hitting the window got me every time) in Hollywood so I have high hopes that they'll bring this one to Hollywood too.

Yep, they still have the original version. I'm guessing this will be them getting the new version.

I wonder if it's possible for them to add new scenes to Star Tours.

Oh definitely. The new one is randomized with light speed jumps being used as scene transitions. All you'd have to do is get C 3P0's voice actor to record some new dialogue and add the new scenes into the system.

aparisi2274

Hey guys, new member here, well I joined few months ago but just found this thread through a friend. I'm a hardcore roller coaster enthusiast, have an ACE membership and a season pass for Cedar Fair parks. Have ridden 358 roller coasters in 71 parks, I collect roller coaster credits like people collect amiibos, post stamps, coins, etc.

Looking forward to share our passion from now on! :)

Edit: Or just look at my username :p

Welcome to the thread... You have a favorite coaster? I'd say mine would be El Toro at Great Adventure.

------------------

Space Mountain
- single rider queue
- restored water effects

Videopolis

It's A Small World
- some new surprises

------------------

Peter Pan's Flight
- make-over
- fresh color palate
- revamped lighting

Animagique
- completely re-imagined
- new show

Adventure Isle

Big Thunder Mountain
- major refurbishment

------------------

Space Mountain

Star Tours
- re-imagined
- new adventure

Pirates of the Caribbean
- major reimagining
- new lighting
- remastered audio

Studio Tram Tour
- 3 new scenes

Theres some good things on the list (although space mountain chaninging trains finally on 2017 is a little late), but a major reimagining of the best Pirates of the Caribbean in the world?
Nope, wtf fuck disney.

muteki

Theres some good things on the list (although space mountain chaninging trains finally on 2017 is a little late), but a major reimagining of the best Pirates of the Caribbean in the world?
Nope, wtf fuck disney.

Isn't Paris the last version without Jack Sparrow? Sigh, gotta get that synergy I guess.

minx

So after seeing the weekend BO estimates, I wonder if Universal Studios is regretting putting that JP expansion on hold.

With how fast Universal works they could get a new ride up by 2017. Orlando can pass on Fast and Furious after I seeing the ride. Maybe it's one where you have to actually be on it..

The Jurassic water ride could use updated anamatronics. Could do a late winter 2015 refurbishment. Doubt that would happen however.

They could put up a screens ride in a year, but Universal needs to diversify that a little IMO.

An upgraded version of the Mine Cart coaster rumored a while back would be ideal (which seemed a little off the shelf). Give it the Everest treatment with a working signature AA.

They could put up a screens ride in a year, but Universal needs to diversify that a little IMO.

An upgraded version of the Mine Cart coaster rumored a while back would be ideal (which seemed a little off the shelf). Give it the Everest treatment with a working signature AA.

They need to save that mine cart concept for Donkey Kong ;)

Thanks now my imagination and hype is running wild. I already know I'm going to throw all my $$ at Universal once they get Nintendo attractions up and running.

I'll get you some sweet discounts with my annual pass ( ͡ ͜ ͡)

edit - on second thought we need to do a big fucking GAF meetup

Accident on Flight Deck at California's Great America today. Keep your cell phones in your pocket or off the ride entirely, people.

http://abc7news.com/news/roller-coaster-accident-leaves-2-injured-at-great-america/781565/

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- Two people were injured, one seriously, in a roller-coaster accident at California's Great America amusement park in Santa Clara on Friday night.

A park employee was hospitalized for traumatic injuries after being struck by a train returning to the station of the Flight Deck coaster, park officials said in a statement.

Witnesses say the park employee stepped into the path of the roller coaster while trying to retrieve a rider's cellphone.

A guest riding the roller coaster at the time reported a hand injury and was taken to a hospital for evaluation. Further details about the accident and the injuries were not immediately available.

The roller coaster will remain closed until the investigation is complete. Park officials said there was no reason to believe the ride malfunctioned, but that they are working closely with local and state authorities.

Sounds entirely due to human error. Silly.

aparisi2274

I am out in LA for E3, and decided to hit up Magic Mountain today with my cousin and his kids... What a great time!

We decided to get the Flash Pass Platinum which was a slight upcharge of $125 per person... LOL. We are all on vacation, so who cares, and this thing shaved our wait times by 90%.

We went on ALL the coasters (except Goliath, that was closed.. :() and here are my top 3:

1. Twisted Colossus -- HOLY CRAP! What a ride. So Smooth, and what a wicked first drop, especially when sitting in the front seat...

2. X2. I have been wanting to ride this since it was just X and was always broken. This ride was fantastic. The way you twist and turn and get thrown about was great. One thing I noticed though, and this was only after watching a POV video, there was no audio coming out of our speakers... I guess that feature no longer works??

3. Full Throttle. This ride came out of nowhere to make it into the top 3. That Loop... what a loop! Also, the ride back, with the tunnel and a 2nd launch... really awesome

All in all, had a great day in the park with my cousin and his kids, and now I have to prepare for E3.

Six Flags really is hit or miss. Some days their guest service rocks, and other days it's awful. They really need to model their operations standards off of Cedar Fair.

A girl collapsed and died after riding Revolution at Magic Mountain.

https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/revolution-statement

Six Flags Magic Mountain
Revolution Ride Statement
Updated 6/15/15

We were deeply saddened to learn that Jasmine Martinez, who was transported to the hospital after riding Revolution on June 12 has died.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Jasmine’s family and friends during this difficult time.

Jasmine came into the ride station unconscious and was treated at the scene and airlifted immediately to an area hospital.

Over 45 million guests have safely ridden Revolution since it opened in 1976.

There is no evidence to suggest that this was in any way ride related. We do not know if there was a pre-existing condition.

On the day of the incident, the State determined it was unrelated to the operation of the ride and it was re-opened. With the latest development, following state guidelines, the ride has been temporarily closed pending a review.

Again, we extend our deepest condolences to Jasmine’s family.

Not ride related.

zeemumu

Universal fricken postponed my day for the Fast and Furious thing

I'm curious about what other rides are gonna make it into kingdom hearts 3. So far there's what is either the Disneyland Railroad or Big Thunder Mountain, what looks like the Columbia pirate ship, and the Mad Tea Party teacups. Come on, Haunted Mansion

Universal fricken postponed my day for the Fast and Furious thing

I'm curious about what other rides are gonna make it into kingdom hearts 3. So far there's what is either the Disneyland Railroad or Big Thunder Mountain, what looks like the Columbia pirate ship, and the Mad Tea Party teacups. Come on, Haunted Mansion

Maybe we'll get a Star Wars attack. The animation will be like 30 minutes long.

Top Bottom