• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

I-Drive water park Wet 'n Wild will close for good on 31st Dec 2016.

http://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/ar...-wild-closing-permanently-on-december-31-2016

The thing is, what are they going to use the terrain for, how apart from the other parks is?

That ScreamRide game. What ever became of it?

I wouldnt compare Planet Coaster to ScreamRide. Nor Coaster Crazy. The only thing that games will have in common with Planet Coaster is that they were the tests for easy spline coaster building on a real game.
This is the spiritual successor of RCT3, done by the same guys (and Frontier still has the same talent as they did when they made RCT3, this is not a Rare situation).
This is going to be what Cities Skylines was for SimCity 2013, just that Skylines is Planet Coaster and SimCity is RollerCoaster Tycoon World.

You guys should get into NoLimits if you love coaster designer games. The learning curve is steep, but totally worth the learning experience.

zeemumu

You guys should get into NoLimits if you love coaster designer games. The learning curve is steep, but totally worth the learning experience.

I don't think I've played a coaster design game since Thrillville. And after I had created my hilariously dangerous coasters, it kinda turned into a dating sim.

It's less than a 5 minute drive from one to the other. If you hit every traffic light, it might take 5 minutes.

So do we know if they are going to cram some hotels there or something, or could they use it like another zone of the parks with some kind of transportation. Could be useful to get more space for Nintendo, if they want to add even more to harry potter land.

caramac

So do we know if they are going to cram some hotels there or something, or could they use it like another zone of the parks with some kind of transportation. Could be useful to get more space for Nintendo, if they want to add even more to harry potter land.

Seems a bit of a mish mash tbh.
Wet'n Wild is sorta crammed in around a small lake, locked in by l-Drive and Universal Boulevard.
Even the parking lot is across the road from the park.

We shall see.

aparisi2274

I'd say build a parking structure there, it can easily be accessible via a shuttle to the parks, especially on days where the park is severely overcrowded...

brerwolfe

I'd say build a parking structure there, it can easily be accessible via a shuttle to the parks, especially on days where the park is severely overcrowded...
I dunno, if the park is overcrowded, another parking garage isn't gonna help anything.. Would just allow them to make it impossible to move anywhere within the park.

9 Days left until Baron 1898 opens for public, can't wait!
Love the making-off videos Efteling publishes every month (with English subs)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw469H0FBqo

148930_real.jpg

Yes these big wheels are spinning

CG-yLU6XIAAkJKA.jpg

Smoke!

zeemumu

Front for first time then the back on repeat rides

This for everything but water rides. As much as I love them I am easily wrecked by them. On Splash mountain, front gets the water coming up over the front and on Jurassic Park, all of the water that goes up on the end comes down on the back.

Front for first time then the back on repeat rides

Yep.
Athough...
There are rides here that are so fraking rough that the back is never a good option.

In Portaventura you have Stampida and Furius Baco, and at Warner Bros Park Batman: La Fuga.
Fuck that shit going to the back, Stampida is already bad in the front rows because the fuckers used a train when they were replaced that was not prepared for that ride.

Space Mountain in Paris is also really bad in the back row becuase of the train restraints, although they are changing those ones in 2017, thank god.

So I'm heading back over to Florida this September to do all the parks again, but i'm also planning to do Halloween Horror Nights for the first time. The only day I can do is opening night and I was wondering if any of you guys have experience of going and have an idea of how busy it may be or any tips etc?

I'm well versed in how to get the most out of my trips to the parks, but having not done HHN before I want to try and make the most of it :p

aparisi2274

So I'm heading back over to Florida this September to do all the parks again, but i'm also planning to do Halloween Horror Nights for the first time. The only day I can do is opening night and I was wondering if any of you guys have experience of going and have an idea of how busy it may be or any tips etc?

I'm well versed in how to get the most out of my trips to the parks, but having not done HHN before I want to try and make the most of it :p

Opening night for HHN is gonna be insane dude, so plan accordingly, and by that I mean spend extra money and get an express pass for all the haunted mazes. On a regular night the mazes can have wait times as long as 2-3hrs, God only knows what it could get up to on opening night.

I know that if I go in Oct, I am definitely getting an express pass.

Opening night for HHN is gonna be insane dude, so plan accordingly, and by that I mean spend extra money and get an express pass for all the haunted mazes. On a regular night the mazes can have wait times as long as 2-3hrs, God only knows what it could get up to on opening night.

Good to know, thanks! Yeah I was pretty sure it would be crazy especially on the first night so was considering getting an express pass. So with that advice I think i'll take the plunge and gab one :p Cheers!

zeemumu

The last time I went to the Hollywood HHN thing I got and early entry ticket that let me do most of the lower lot mazes before the park reopened to the public. That gave me a good half hour head start. But by the time I made my way back to the upper lot the park was packed. I'm planning on going again this year so I'll probably end up getting a front of the line pass if I can afford it.

zeemumu

Still no news on Halloween Haunt at Knotts, though. I'm expecting something in July. Maybe Haunt will be when I go check out Iron Reef too.

That may be, but they are almost essential to enjoying all the haunts that HHN has to offer. I do not mind spending the extra money if it means that I can enjoy HHN that much more.

Yeah I'm figuring that I may as well not even bother if I don't get the express pass because it won't really be an enjoyable experience for me.

Plus an extra £45pp on top of what is already an expensive holiday from the UK is negligible especially if it means I get to do something different and enjoy it :p

aparisi2274

Yeah I'm figuring that I may as well not even bother if I don't get the express pass because it won't really be an enjoyable experience for me.

Plus an extra £45pp on top of what is already an expensive holiday from the UK is negligible especially if it means I get to do something different and enjoy it :p

If I plan a trip to Orlando, I automatically know I'll be spending extra money on express passes at Uni. When I went a couple of years ago, I bought a 1-Day/2 Park ticket with an express pass to both parks as well as a ticket to HHN and an express pass for that. I think I spent around $500 just to do universal, IOA, and HHN in one day. But it was totally worth it because I went on every single ride and went through every single haunt.

If I plan a trip to Orlando, I automatically know I'll be spending extra money on express passes at Uni. When I went a couple of years ago, I bought a 1-Day/2 Park ticket with an express pass to both parks as well as a ticket to HHN and an express pass for that. I think I spent around $500 just to do universal, IOA, and HHN in one day. But it was totally worth it because I went on every single ride and went through every single haunt.

Yeah makes sense if you want to get the most out of your time there (especially for a short trip like that). Luckily I'm in Orlando for almost 3 weeks, so it's only the HHN that I'll need to worry about an express pass for!

That looks fascinating, but it will obviously be a maintenance nightmare. Similar rides tear through maintenance budgets. There's a reason why the simpler model of these are barely found at parks today.

Any of you ever work at a park before?

zeemumu

That looks fascinating, but it will obviously be a maintenance nightmare. Similar rides tear through maintenance budgets. There's a reason why the simpler model of these are barely found at parks today.

No, but I know plenty of people who work at Disneyland. It sounds like how I would expect it to be.

ito007

I work at Kings Island right now

You always sum up my feelings with gifs :lol

Mummy went back up just as I was boarding the Hogwarts Express for IoA. Spider-Man never came back online. Think it was down from at least ~3PM until now. Hopefully they get it sorted out...I'm at Universal quite a bit and never have any trouble with it.

zeemumu

You always sum up my feelings with gifs :lol

Mummy went back up just as I was boarding the Hogwarts Express for IoA. Spider-Man never came back online. Think it was down from at least ~3PM until now. Hopefully they get it sorted out...I'm at Universal quite a bit and never have any trouble with it.

I was planning on going to Universal Studios Hollywood on Wednesday. I need to go pick up my badge for Anime Expo and it's closer than my house is so I figured yeah why not. Apparently that place has been hitting capacity ever since Supercharged opened up and I'm getting hesitant on going. That many people in this weather seems like death if you aren't prepared. But on the other hand I'd be able to circumvent the lines for some of the better attractions because I always go alone.

I was planning on going to Universal Studios Hollywood on Wednesday. I need to go pick up my badge for Anime Expo and it's closer than my house is so I figured yeah why not. Apparently that place has been hitting capacity ever since Supercharged opened up and I'm getting hesitant on going. That many people in this weather seems like death if you aren't prepared. But on the other hand I'd be able to circumvent the lines for some of the better attractions because I always go alone.

lol

I have this great pic from when I was the only one in my row on Hulk at IoA one morning. That was pretty close to when they opened. I was also the first rider on Transformers one morning and the only one in the vehicle (Diagon Alley opened an hour before the park but Gringotts shit the bed around normal opening so I figured "why not?" :l)

The crowds at USH have been bananas recently from what I've heard. That park will die when Potter opens.

zeemumu

lol

I have this great pic from when I was the only one in my row on Hulk at IoA one morning. That was pretty close to when they opened. I was also the first rider on Transformers one morning and the only one in the vehicle (Diagon Alley opened an hour before the park but Gringotts shit the bed around normal opening so I figured "why not?" :l)

The crowds at USH have been bananas recently from what I've heard. That park will die when Potter opens.

It's just not equipped to handle this level of crowd. Orlando's park was designed a theme park first, studio 2nd. I think the only thing they filmed there on a regular basis were Nickelodeon television shows. Hollywood is movie studio first, and from the layout it seem pretty obvious that the land in general wasn't built to be a park. Sometimes I use the stairway between the upper and lower lots as a workout to balance things out when I eat too much junk. That's a hell of a climb.

Plus their parking structure isn't built to handle as many, either. I found out recently that should both the structure and Toy Story parking lot become full, Disneyland has a 3rd parking lot down the street. Found that out during the 24 hour 60th anniversary day. Speaking of which, I never talked about my opinion on the new stuff. I'll give short ones.

Always happy to have the Hatbox ghost back. It's a little jarring because of how new he looks but the effect looks great. He even managed to scare one of my friends.

Matterhorn improvements were also amazing. The new lift hill transitions and yeti animatronics are a huge improvements over what used to be there. Not quite on Expedition Everest full working yeti level but still very nice.

Paint the Night was a lot of fun. I was getting tired of just seeing the soundsational every single time so it's a nice change of pace, as well as a cool link to the old electric light parade.

And I actually haven't seen the new World of Color yet. I haven't been to California Adventure in a long time. It's on my list so I'll get back to it.

Also the last time I went on the Hulk rollercoaster was when I took a trip to Orlando for my 13th birthday. Weather was fine when I walked in. When we got launched out of the tunnel I realized that it was raining and that rain hurts when you're going that fast.

Apparently Kings Island had such insane crowds today that they extended the park hours for an hour.

When Windseeker, Adventure Express, Viking Fury etc. have a full queue, yeah. That's crazy.

Anjin M

You all don't know how happy I am to find this thread. I'm more of a Disneyland fan than of theme and amusement parks in general, but I'm excited to see a bunch of GAFers who have similar tastes.

edit://
Paint the Night was a lot of fun. I was getting tired of just seeing the soundsational every single time so it's a nice change of pace, as well as a cool link to the old electric light parade.

And I actually haven't seen the new World of Color yet. I haven't been to California Adventure in a long time. It's on my list so I'll get back to it.

I haven't seen either the new parade or World of Color yet. Since we often attend the park on Sundays, we always have to leave in time to drive home and get our four year old in bed at a semi-decent time.

zeemumu

You all don't know how happy I am to find this thread. I'm more of a Disneyland fan than of theme and amusement parks in general, but I'm excited to see a bunch of GAFers who have similar tastes.

edit://

I haven't seen either the new parade or World of Color yet. Since we often attend the park on Sundays, we always have to leave in time to drive home and get our four year old in bed at a semi-decent time.

Welcome!

I usually go during the week because the crowds are somewhat lighter.

Anjin M

Welcome!

I usually go during the week because the crowds are somewhat lighter.

That would be the ideal, though we have to schedule vacation days to pull that off. I like to tell myself that, even though we hit fewer rides, we can attend more often to make up the difference. :)

Top Bottom