• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

Raven77

I'm at work and can't go to basically any of those review sites. I know its a bit much to ask but can someone summarize a bit from some of the reviews? Sorry.

Liamc723

I have never played a Thief game before, would the flaws coming up in these reviews be more forgiveable to me? I love stealth games and I really want to play this.

Ubiquitar

Neo Member
I dunno, personally you kind of sound like you're in denial.

I didn't mean ALL reviews. I just meant the one's like the sneaky bastard's one where they don't even find any redeeming qualities at all in a game that for the most part will be playable. I hate that kind of over the top internet bravado. From what we've already seen from the reviewers is that this game is mediocre. That's too bad. I'll still enjoy it. So no, I'm not in denial.

SparkTR

I have never played a Thief game before, would the flaws coming up in these reviews be more forgiveable to me? I love stealth games and I really want to play this.

To be fair if you love stealth games it's no doubt better to play the originals. They're cheap as hell on Steam.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Here's some shots I took.

thief1vij1e.png

thief2ncjt3.png

thief3h1kd1.png

thief47akea.png

thief5lkk9w.png

U-R

33 euros down the drain it seems. Oh well, teaches me to fall for preorder offers.

Let's hope the game pulls an Alice:Madness Returns on me, where i just enjoy the game too much to notice the jank.

We all knew it was going to have major problems, but the one question I care about is: is the game still fun in spite of its mediocrity?

We all knew it was going to have major problems, but the one question I care about is: is the game still fun in spite of its mediocrity?

Basically my review in a nut shell. Still really liked it but it has some problems. Granted one of my biggest issues is the fact they encourage replaying levels after you beat it but provide no easy way to find the entrances to the levels again. You have to remember where they are and with as cramped as the hub world is and its various different areas and loading time, it's an extreme pain in the ass.

Xater

I am actually surprised by these reviews. I somehow still expected it to mostly get 7s. Tis makes it even easier to pass on it.

B4D1E

My review is live as well

77/100

www.4gamers.be/reviews/34205/1/Thief

I think it is. I agree with RPS, it's still a decent game to play.

Hello fellow belgian. I'll read your review as soon as I get home, most of gaming sites are blocked here at work (Thank god not GAF).

I think I'll still buy it since the game has decent reviews and not abyssmal as expected. What I saw till now make me think I'll definitely have fun with the game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ouch... but i guess for $25( bought it for $30 ish from GMG and the dota 2 promo that came with it was worth $5) and the tf2 items its alright. to those who pre ordered it on PC and don't play dota 2, sell the dota 2 promo item that comes with it. its worth $5.50 on steam market

http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/570/Genuine Tools of the Master Thief Set

D'oh, I had no idea the items were available and marketable already -- in the past with TF2 items there's always been a few-day delay between the game's release and the items being marketable. I assume you have to run Dota 2 to obtain them, as with TF2 items?

Dawg

Hello fellow belgian. I'll read your review as soon as I get home, most of gaming sites are blocked here at work (Thank god not GAF).

I think I'll still buy it since the game has decent reviews and not abyssmal as expected. What I saw till now make me think I'll definitely have fun with the game.

Always good to see a fellow Belgian on GAF :D I basically went in with no expectations at all. I wanted a decent stealth game and this game gave me... a decent stealth game.

I won't deny there are flaws, because there are... but I feel like some reviews are judging it too harshly simply because it's supposed to be an AAA-game.

I really wonder what GAF will think of it.

kudoboi

D'oh, I had no idea the items were available and marketable already -- in the past with TF2 items there's always been a few-day delay between the game's release and the items being marketable. I assume you have to run Dota 2 to obtain them, as with TF2 items?

yep. dota 2 is a 4GB install so it shouldn't take too long

KorrZ

Didn't expect so many 6's from games media...that's pretty terrible by those review standards. Oh well, still going to get the game, need something to play on my PS4.

Nessus

Sounds like it's solidly in the 6-7.5 range.

I've really enjoyed other games that were similarly reviewed (Shinobi PS2 comes to mind), and the first person stealth/RPG subgenre (Deus Ex, Dishonored, etc.) is one of my favorites, and I really like the graphics/art style, so I'm pretty sure I'll get this.

But since I'll be playing it on PC, and because it does sound like it could really use some patching for at least the audio glitches and the strange aspect ratio stuff, I'll hold off until I've got my new gaming rig in a few months.

But the reviews don't seem to describe anything I'd find truly damning, just not something I'm sure I'd feel comfortable paying $60 for.

I guess the question now is how committed is Eidos to fixing some of those smaller issues? I can't see Square-Enix giving them any more money to fix those problems if the game flops. I'm sorta selfishly hoping that it being one of the only new games available for PS4 and 360 might artificially inflate its sales a bit, and thus convince them to try to address some of that stuff with patches. Also curious to see what they have in mind for DLC.

v0mitg0d

Reviewers! Question for you:

Old school fan here. I've decided to play the game at Master level with Waypoints disabled. I am, however, unsure how to handle the Focus system now that I've read it's an upgrade system allowing for improvements in Marksmanship and picking locks.

I'm having second thoughts. Did you play with Focus enabled? How difficult is the game without it? I'm worried the game was designed with the Focus system enabled, which kind of bums me out if true.

Thoughts and suggestions? Thanks!

Vaiim

Old school fan here. I've decided to play the game at Master level with Waypoints disabled. I am, however, unsure how to handle the Focus system now that I've read it's an upgrade system allowing for improvements in Marksmanship and picking locks.

I'm having second thoughts. Did you play with Focus enabled? How difficult is the game without it? I'm worried the game was designed with the Focus system enabled, which kind of bums me out if true.

Have a look at EatChildren's review mate. He played PC, Master, No-focus:

ys45

Another reboot of a great series going in the fail category it seems....
Do you guys think developers will ever learn ?

Still, I need to play this so I can judge it myself .

Csokis

Ausgamers Review - 5.1/10!

WHAT WE LIKED
  • Focus mode helps the player analyse an area quickly
  • The Asylum Level is fantastic
  • Solving climbing puzzles in the hub world is almost its own reward
  • Fantastic secondary writing
  • Action Stealth (if you're into that)

WHAT WE DIDN'T LIKE
  • The AI is very exploitable
  • The climbing mechanics are inconsistent
  • The story is dull and generic, and the villains are caricatures
  • Very linear story missions
  • The new Garrett gets caught way too often to be described a Master Thief
  • Quite a few bugs (though no showstoppers)
  • Action Stealth (if you're not into that)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Great review mate and I share your disappointment of them focusing too much on story to the detriment of the gameplay and level design :(

Cheers!

I played through the entire game on Master Custom, Focus permanently locked off, and never once felt like I needed it.

Nice! Can you get rid of the HUD and the jazz hands with an in-game option, or do you need to edit some config files? If the latter, can you detail the steps required please?

All from the options menu. You cannot remove the "jazz hands" as Garrett has a physical model in the world so you're interactions are always animated. You also can't turn off the shadowy vignetting. Absolutely everything else: map, health, light sphere, guard alert status, waypoints, etc, can be turned off. Lots of options, very happy.

justjim89

Alex from Giant Bomb says he still needs to finish it up, but says expect it to be a lower-end review, and that it sucks.

Judging from the reactions on this game, it seems to be stuck in the middle of two options: going old school or going AAA, big budget set piece game. A lot of the more mainstream review outlets seem to fault it for not being modern or flashy enough, while more PC-centric sites like PC Gamer and RPS seem to be of the mind that while it's very old-school in some ways, the faults come from attempting to be modern.

This is on top of the rather universal claim that the story sucks. It's kind of fascinating to see a game find universal fault for apparently different reasons. The development of this game was surely a real bloody battle.

v0mitg0d

Cheers!

I played through the entire game on Master Custom, Focus permanently locked off, and never once felt like I needed it.

All from the options menu. You cannot remove the "jazz hands" as Garrett has a physical model in the world so you're interactions are always animated. You also can't turn off the shadowy vignetting. Absolutely everything else: map, health, light sphere, guard alert status, waypoints, etc, can be turned off. Lots of options, very happy.

Great, thanks!

Also, is there any option to turn off Garrett's voice? I'm considering it because it doesn't sound like the real Garrett. :/

EatChildren

Great, thanks!

Also, is there any option to turn off Garrett's voice? I'm considering it because it doesn't sound like the real Garrett. :/

You cannot turn off Garrett's voice for cutscenes and such, but you can turn off all his in-game narration.

Mayyhem

Seems like a solid rental for w play through on a boring weekend or something. I think I'm gonna pass on buying it full price

Top Bottom