• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

PC shots at 4k:
iZr0G8g0qoQB2.jpg

ibMZ8o0TkBpnD.jpg

iwdk1KD9ow3DK.jpg

iQrcJcZILDHYc.jpg

iNpsanNQ3rJGK.jpg

iMAyyCZFFStvG.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
RE above: This shot is what I love about the screen space reflects. Almost every single puddle in the game, no matter how small and trivial, is subtly reflecting the environment around it in real time, not a cubemap. Same goes for steel surfaces like the interior of vents and tops of metal chests. Really awesome walking the streets and the bricky roads are 3D thanks to tessellation, small puddles pooled between the stones reflecting the flickering torches and buildings.

Would you recommend turning it off or was his voice suitable and helpful?

As I said in my review, I was worried that Garrett would be 2EDGY given his, err, visual redesign. But I actually ended up liking his character a bit. He's not a broody douchebag, and using has some smarmy commentary related to what's going on. And they took the effort to write/record commentary related to unique loot not integral to main mission. Overall I liked it and was happy to have it on.

Quite interested in this. Does this scratch a Dishonored itch at all?

In my opinion no, both too different even with their similarities. Dishonored allows for so much more agency in play and level interaction, but at the same time crafts a very different experience, especially with the whole magic and combat thing. What I loved about Dishonored is not present in Thief, but Thief does some stuff on its own that I did like.

For VPNs, can you switch to a server with faster downloads once you're in? I can't do the pre-load as my friend who I am family sharing with owns the game and subsequently the license lies with him.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
For VPNs, can you switch to a server with faster downloads once you're in? I can't do the pre-load as my friend who I am family sharing with owns the game and subsequently the license lies with him.

I'm pretty sure you can't.

In the past, I had the entire game preloaded. I used a super slow free proxy to unlock the game, then switched Steam to offline mode to play. If there is a day-1 patch, it can get pretty ugly as you need to download it through the proxy.

molnizzle

EatChildren's excellent review said:
There's decent potential here for those gamers [who are] perhaps a little daunted by the scope of complex stealth games – yet infatuated with the genre – to find themselves fairly easily caught up in Garretts adventure and the immersive world Montréal's artists and audio teams have created.

Couldn't have described me better.

PSN pre-order bought!

v0mitg0d

As I said in my review, I was worried that Garrett would be 2EDGY given his, err, visual redesign. But I actually ended up liking his character a bit. He's not a broody douchebag, and using has some smarmy commentary related to what's going on. And they took the effort to write/record commentary related to unique loot not integral to main mission. Overall I liked it and was happy to have it on.

Just watched your review. It's one of the more thoughtful review out there, and I appreciate your consistent references to the older games. Thanks for the tips!

Garrett looks so dumb. I laughed in shock when I first saw him.

He has the Batman problem of not being able to turn his head.

Anyways, some of the opening levels have actually been pretty solid. There's a jeweler's shop that, despite being a small area, was fun to clean out. The game also looks very nice.

SLV

Garrett looks so dumb. I laughed in shock when I first saw him.

He has the Batman problem of not being able to turn his head.

Anyways, some of the opening levels have actually been pretty solid. There's a jeweler's shop that, despite being a small area, was fun to clean out. The game also looks very nice.

Is it unlocked on steam anywhere already ?

ys45

Watching the TB video of Thief , he seems to like it .
Look like they did not screw up the PC version thought, lot of graphic options .

Gonna unlock this tonight via vpn

Moff

whats the difference between crouching and standing reagarding visibility?
is it really not possible to knock someone out silently?

the first real level is not that bad honestly, its not a tunnel at least, I expected worse
It does feel like thief, even when only on a small scale
which is what I felt about hitman absolution

Sectus

PSA for Steam users: The game unlocks in several Asian countries in just under 24 hours. FlyVPN has free servers in Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam, all of which will suffice.

t1393254000z4.png

FAQ
Isn't using a VPN against the SSA?
Technically, yes, but there are no verified or even reputable reports of Valve taking action against those who use a VPN to simply redeem region-locked keys or unlock released games early; indeed, myself and many other GAFers use VPNs on the odd occasion for these very reasons and haven't encountered any trouble. Valve's issue with VPN usage lies in using it to aid in the circumvention of region-specific pricing on Steam itself.

So my account won't be restricted?
Well, I can't guarantee that Valve won't change its stance, but you'd have to be the unluckiest person in the world to be made example of considering Valve's blind eye over the past several years.

FlyVPN keeps saying the servers are full/won't connect to a server!
If the servers are full, keep trying: sessions only last 20 minutes and upon disconnection users are required to wait another 5 before reconnecting. If you receive an error message when attempting to connect to a server, try a different one as some servers appear to be having issues accepting the protocols FlyVPN uses. Also ensure that the password for the main server you've connected to hasn't changed (see the link above for log-in info).

I'm connected to the VPN. Now what?
Begin the decryption process. You can disable the VPN at this point but you will be required to connect again for the "Pre-load" button to change to "Play", so unless it'll take more than 20 minutes you might as well leave it connected. You can also kill the VPN once you're in-game; although the "Play" button will revert back to "Pre-load", you won't be booted out of the game or anything of the sort. Once you're in, you're in.

Two quick questions: do you only need the VPN to unlock it, or do you need it every time you boot up the game? Do you keep yourself offline after using the VPN, or stay online?

I'm a bit new to the whole VPN thing. I'm a bit tempted to do this so I don't have to wait until Friday.

Moff

Two quick questions: do you only need the VPN to unlock it, or do you need it every time you boot up the game? Do you keep yourself offline after using the VPN, or stay online?

I'm a bit new to the whole VPN thing. I'm a bit tempted to do this so I don't have to wait until Friday.

after you unlocked it, you can put steam in offline mode
then you can disable vpn and use it completely normally

after its officially released, you can go online with steam again

parabolee

Good news...

This paragraph from the Edge review seems to not only highlight why it is getting some bad reviews, but also give us some great tips on making the game much more enjoyable. Which explains why an outlet that is nefarious for giving low scores, gave it such a favourable score (by their standards, a 7/10) -

People looking to enjoy the game should take note, especially fans of the original -

Thankfully, Eidos Montreal has made Thief highly customisable. Disable Focus and the game reveals itself to be worthy of the series’ name, but go further and play on the hardest difficulty, which makes civilian knockouts a failstate, and Thief becomes a moreish, slow-burning exercise in expertly delivered tension. Guards and civilians are alerted by all manner of things, including noise, unconscious comrades, extinguished flames or even something generally amiss, such as an open cupboard or safe door, making clearing out every room a self-contained puzzle. But you can use the environment to your advantage, too: naked flames can be extinguished with water arrows or your fingers, while some electric lights have switches nearby. Bottles and other items can be thrown to create a distraction, while carpets and grass provide a quieter surface across which to move quickly. It feels just how Thief should.

They sum up with -

Thief is far from the disaster that many feared it would be, and fans who take the time to customise their settings ahead of their first playthrough will find a rewarding world here to pick clean.

Source - http://www.edge-online.com/review/thief-review/

Shadownet

Banned
Well the reviews are disappointing. I guess it just went from a "must buy" for me to "I'll wait for a steam sale bellow $15"

I wanted this game to succeed so bad too.

The fact a 6 or 7 out of 10 is some how "really bad" really, really shows how flawed and broken modern game review ratings are.

Was thinking the same exact thing. I often enjoy games that have been given a 6 or 7 out of 10, including Ryse for instance. Never would I ever describe a 6 as "REALLY BAD."

Was thinking the same exact thing. I often enjoy games that have been given a 6 or 7 out of 10, including Ryse for instance. Never would I ever describe a 6 as "REALLY BAD."

Yep, this is something I really wished would change. I explain in my video review it has some really awesome atmosphere and options at your disposal, with some cool missions yet that it has a lot of rough spots. Still a very enjoyable game and def not a broken game like some of the review scores seem to want to indicate. I very much reccomend anyone who has interest in this game to still give it a shot.

d00d3n

Did anyone who played on master difficulty find the game too hard/annoying? Is the custom mode without focus really necessary? If I understand the description right, just playing on master will seriously restrict your focus abilities. (I have still not started the game.)

SpokkX

Love stealth and this looks ok at least

.. But framerate issues on ps4, REALLY?

That makes me skip this game, cant stand stuttering and/or low framerate

neoism

PSA for Steam users: The game unlocks in several Asian countries in just under 24 hours. FlyVPN has free servers in Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam, all of which will suffice.

t1393254000z4.png

FAQ
Isn't using a VPN against the SSA?
Technically, yes, but there are no verified or even reputable reports of Valve taking action against those who use a VPN to simply redeem region-locked keys or unlock released games early; indeed, myself and many other GAFers use VPNs on the odd occasion for these very reasons and haven't encountered any trouble. Valve's issue with VPN usage lies in using it to aid in the circumvention of region-specific pricing on Steam itself.

So my account won't be restricted?
Well, I can't guarantee that Valve won't change its stance, but you'd have to be the unluckiest person in the world to be made example of considering Valve's blind eye over the past several years.

FlyVPN keeps saying the servers are full/won't connect to a server!
If the servers are full, keep trying: sessions only last 20 minutes and upon disconnection users are required to wait another 5 before reconnecting. If you receive an error message when attempting to connect to a server, try a different one as some servers appear to be having issues accepting the protocols FlyVPN uses. Also ensure that the password for the main server you've connected to hasn't changed (see the link above for log-in info).

I'm connected to the VPN. Now what?
Begin the decryption process. You can disable the VPN at this point but you will be required to connect again for the "Pre-load" button to change to "Play", so unless it'll take more than 20 minutes you might as well leave it connected. You can also kill the VPN once you're in-game; although the "Play" button will revert back to "Pre-load", you won't be booted out of the game or anything of the sort. Once you're in, you're in.
you are the man Jase

25gb ...

Kornheiser_Why.JPG

also Im buying this blind, but I LOOOVED Deus Ex HR <3 and I love stealth games...
its also my first thief game

Anung

Un Rama
Review-Scale.png

I went for it thanks to EatChildren's and SlasherJPC's reviews and the fact that it is reviewing decently and not omfg shitsux 10/10 IGN. Some of my favorite games of last gen got "mediocre" reviews. And this seems like nice atmospheric way to kill time. Until the big hitters of march at least.

I know it's been said already, but that audio really needs to be bumped up.

Also, learn to pronounce guard.

:p

That said, great review, of the ones I've seen it's the most informative and seems the least spoilerish. I'm excited to play it. I wasn't expecting it to review well, but it seems like something I'd exactly enjoy. I love the fact that they offer custom difficulties, that means replayability for me. One thing I've not really seen addressed too much is load times for the PC. Nixxes handling of the port gives me confidence in the quality of the port, but after hearing of the 20+ second load times I think it'll annoy me, not that it matters as I already have it preloaded.

As an aside, why the hell must most video reviews be 5 mins. or less? I know they like to encourage reading a review, but more often than not it seems that a written review is mostly the script from the video one. It seems of the reviews I watched, not many are talking about some of the aspects of this game that could make it much better with the customization.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I know it's been said already, but that audio really needs to be bumped up.

Also, learn to pronounce guard.

:p

That said, great review, of the ones I've seen it's the most informative and seems the least spoilerish.

I fucked up "narrative" and "linear". My pronunciation of guard is fine :p'

Cheers though, appreciate the feedback. Sound is totally fine on my end, but does seem to be an issue. Weird :/

I'm still interested in playing this even after all the negative reviews but I have a few games I want to take care of so I'll buy this sometime next month.

Sectus

after you unlocked it, you can put steam in offline mode
then you can disable vpn and use it completely normally

after its officially released, you can go online with steam again

Would it be possible to start the vpn, unlock the game, boot up the game, turn off vpn while game is running, and then continue playing the game while online with steam? I could play offline, but I wouldn't mind having achievements and leaderboards update properly.

Would it be possible to start the vpn, unlock the game, boot up the game, turn off vpn while game is running, and then continue playing the game while online with steam? I could play offline, but I wouldn't mind having achievements and leaderboards update properly.

Yes that is possible. The minute you exit Thi4f though, you'll have to go the vpn route to restart it again though.

gribbles

Banned
Quite interested in this. Does this scratch a Dishonored itch at all?

This game is like Dishonored's retarded kid brother. Except that Thief used to be the smarter big brother but then suffered a horrible, crippling accident and is now retarded and quadriplegic, while Dishonored was able to pull himself up by his bootstraps and make a name for himself and is now the smarter brother, despite not being as smart as Thief was back in his heyday. If that makes sense.

Top Bottom