• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Unless you're asian that is, then its too late :(

You can cancel Steam pre-orders instantly now, although if you'd prefer the refund to go somewhere else other than your Steam Wallet then you still need to submit a support ticket.

Jack cw

So this is going to be even more streamlined than Hitman? I fear this game will be the ultimate definition if mediocrity. I was on the fence about this but I'll wait until this hits PS+ in a few months.

Preregreting picking this up instead of Castlevania.

Really though, I should have just skipped both and played the new Shadowrunner campaign and RE4.

Good games have previewed poorly in the past, including DEHR. I hope the game is at least alright.

codhand

Quietly optimistic, waiting on reviews for this feels like pre-Human Revolution review wait...

... nerve breaking.

i dunno, i think it's gonna be a wide spectrum. on the Joystiq podcast the guy really seemed to enjoy the game and articulate that it was due to the atmosphere and old school emphasis on stealth.

on the flip i think youll have people who preferred Dishonered, find the challenge lacking, and the overall aesthetic dull.

excited to see

im not expecting Deux Ex HR scores so, 75 is my guess.

Jintor

SneakyBastards is up

Thief is about waiting. But not waiting for a gap in patrols, or an opportunity to silently knock out a guard. It’s about waiting for the next three rooms of the level to stream into RAM, as you mash X to jimmy open a window. Waiting for the camera to fly back into Garrett’s head after it swooped down to street level to show you something was happening. Waiting for first-person animations to play out as Garrett slides open all five drawers of a table, one-by-one. Waiting for each cutscene to throw the story further into disarray with nonsense plot mechanics delivered through poorly written dialogue.

We’ve been waiting over five years for Eidos Montreal to deliver its reboot, but upon playing it we discovered we were just waiting for it to be over.

If you get a 'resource limited reached' just reload until it works.

Forgive the terrible, terrible review formatting. Dan still hasn't worked out how to make the site look good yet.

Jintor

Afaik, Sneakybastards is press on a more mainstream publication as well, so they're probably only nominally worried about PR retaliation.

Or they just don't care. Also possible

Acosta

That Sneaky review.

"Thief is a disaster the likes of which we could not fathom. There is no easy way to say it; we just did not think the game would be this bad. "

Sounds promising :p

b0uncyfr0

Wow that sneaky Bastard review really nailed into it. Ive never played a thief game but it seems like he was VERY dissapointed and makes valid points ive seen in a few gameplay vids on youtube. Will wait for a few more, but this one might be a bust.

kazebyaka

Banned
Splinter Cell: Conviction of Thief? Many people will hate it, some will love it. Doesn't look all that bad to me. Will play shortly on pc myself.

nynt9

Splinter Cell: Conviction of Thief? Many people will hate it, some will love it. Doesn't look all that bad to me. Will play shortly on pc myself.

Nah, SC:C could stand on its own merits if you ignored the rest of the franchise. This one is just clunky.

Alpende

That SneakyBastards review is harsh. I wonder what other reviews are going to say. Glad I didn't pre-order this. I'll hold off entirely or buy it on the (very) cheap...

LeBart

I don't know anything about that sneakybastards site so I'll wait for the other reviews, but... yeah let's just say I've closed the greenmangaming tab for now.

Ubiquitar

Neo Member
I'm not going to rely on any reviews for this game. It's made by a developer who has made some games I've really enjoyed in the past and I've always loved stealth games. I don't need to have some internet wanna be rockstar who probably hates these types of games tell me how bad it is. I will wait and judge that for myself. Tomorrow I will find out.

Worried about the game, but got it pre-loaded anyway. I can't get enough stealth games. Enjoyed Blacklist, Dishonored and Mark of the Ninja recently so hope this at least comes close to the quality of those games.

CaLe

I'm not going to rely on any reviews for this game. It's made by a developer who has made some games I've really enjoyed in the past and I've always loved stealth games. I don't need to have some internet wanna be rockstar who probably hates these types of games tell me how bad it is. I will wait and judge that for myself. Tomorrow I will find out.

Some games ? Eidos Montreal only made Deus Ex: Human Revolution. And it's not even the same team that worked on Thief.

Nillansan

Good for you mate.

I dunno, personally you kind of sound like you're in denial.

cackhyena

4209835151.png

Burger

head_in_the_sand-461x307.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
I can make a review thread if you guys think that is warranted. I don't want to clog up this thread too much with reviews.

One step away from "militant reviewers". I'm so glad this isn't out until Friday in the UK. Plenty of time to cancel that pre-order.

Raven77

SneakyBastards...I just don't know.

To complain so much about waiting makes me think that whoever reviewed it just has no patience. Complaining about waiting while a drawer opens? To me, it's cool that you can open individual drawers and I have enough patience to watch animations play out. I have always felt a bit of a disconnect in the Elder Scrolls games where your character has very few animations when stealing items or opening things, etc.

The contextual jumping and only being able to shoot rope arrows in certain places (is that confirmed?) worries me more than anything else at this point.

SparkTR

The people who love these types of games will probably rate it the worst.

My video review here. I don't score my games but for those that would have to know, would be a 7.5 A game that I ultimately enjoyed but is brought down for various tech/design issues. If you can look past those, there is some good stuff to enjoy here.

Top Bottom