• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

FatalT

Banned
I'm tempted to buy this only because there hasn't been anything out for PS4 for me since Tomb Raider. C'mon reviews!

Mayyhem

I'm tempted to buy this only because there hasn't been anything out for PS4 for me since Tomb Raider. C'mon reviews!
I'm tempted for a similar reason. I haven't bought a game on Xbone since launch. This drought is killing me. I hope this reviews well so I can play it until Titanfall drops

imjust1n

Banned
Im so excited for this game, Deus Ex HR was amazing and this should be even more its more style of gaming.

Even if this game gets bad reviews dont even care it looks bad ass.

Slixshot

Banned
I'm surprised the embargo is tomorrow and not tuesday. Are they confident in this game or something because I've heard nothing but negativity surrounding it... Just surprised, I guess.

B4D1E

Chapter 5....
you got your Silent Hill in my Thief,
Square Enix.

Is it a bad thing or good thing? I see that the chapter 5 gets a lot of comments lol

I can wait to play this game so my mind can be made up. Yesterday I watched the youtub vid aforementionned and was liking what I was seeing. I hope reviews will start to drop.

Vaiim

In anticipation I downloaded The Dark Mod.

Man this is awesome. Runs on the Doom 3 engine, looks way better than I expected. It's basically Thief with community generated missions. Super intense and really well done.

I can highly recommend anyone interested in Thief to give this a go. It's totally free to boot.

The Dark Mod is brilliant. I haven't played it since it went standalone, so I'm going to fire in up soon and have a look at some of the new missions.

Thief4 reviews soon yay!

giapel

Why do you need a review? Plenty of videos out on Youtube for the game.
I don't get this. Do YouTube videos make reviews redundant now? How do I know if the level design quality is consistent throughout? What about the length? Replayability? Glitches?

Angry Fork

Has an explanation been given for why there's no jumping? Will the world be traversable/open like assassins creed to make up for it?

Kouichi

Has an explanation been given for why there's no jumping? Will the world be traversable/open like assassins creed to make up for it?

Their justification was that it broken the immersion. Dumb reason, I know.

But yeah, the way you climb and traverse the world is more akin to Assassin's Creed and Mirror's Edge. It also switches to third-person when climbing specific areas.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does anyone know what time the game will be unlocking for Asia?

I realise this has been answered already, but I've updated my earlier post with a countdown timer so here it is again:

PSA for Steam users: The game unlocks in several Asian countries in just under 24 hours. FlyVPN has free servers in Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam, all of which will suffice.

t1393254000z4.png

FAQ
Isn't using a VPN against the SSA?
Technically, yes, but there are no verified or even reputable reports of Valve taking action against those who use a VPN to simply redeem region-locked keys or unlock released games early; indeed, myself and many other GAFers use VPNs on the odd occasion for these very reasons and haven't encountered any trouble. Valve's issue with VPN usage lies in using it to aid in the circumvention of region-specific pricing on Steam itself.

So my account won't be restricted?
Well, I can't guarantee that Valve won't change its stance, but you'd have to be the unluckiest person in the world to be made example of considering Valve's blind eye over the past several years.

FlyVPN keeps saying the servers are full/won't connect to a server!
If the servers are full, keep trying: sessions only last 20 minutes and upon disconnection users are required to wait another 5 before reconnecting. If you receive an error message when attempting to connect to a server, try a different one as some servers appear to be having issues accepting the protocols FlyVPN uses. Also ensure that the password for the main server you've connected to hasn't changed (see the link above for log-in info).

I'm connected to the VPN. Now what?
Begin the decryption process. You can disable the VPN at this point but you will be required to connect again for the "Pre-load" button to change to "Play", so unless it'll take more than 20 minutes you might as well leave it connected. You can also kill the VPN once you're in-game; although the "Play" button will revert back to "Pre-load", you won't be booted out of the game or anything of the sort. Once you're in, you're in.

SJRB

Gold Member

It's not an open-world sandbox city like Assassin's Creed though, make no mistake. The game has hub-style level layouts similar to Dishonored, but it's by no means a huge city you can just traverse and climb endlessly.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
One question though, did you at least try out the focus stuff? To see how it affects the gameplay?

Very briefly, yes, but not enough to really judge how it effects the entire game. I will say though that it's totally unnecessary. I had initial concerns that late game content would be stupidly difficult with focus turned off, but no. You can play the game with it locked off on the hardest difficulty and safely rely on peaking, sight, and sound.

Moff

is there more to focus than simply highlighting usable and lootable objects? that was already in earlier thief games wasnt it?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
is there more to focus than simply highlighting usable and lootable objects? that was already in earlier thief games wasnt it?

Nah, it's like bullet time too, and has various upgrades. So you can upgrade for faster lock picking, speed, damage, etc.

SkylineRKR

Very briefly, yes, but not enough to really judge how it effects the entire game. I will say though that it's totally unnecessary. I had initial concerns that late game content would be stupidly difficult with focus turned off, but no. You can play the game with it locked off on the hardest difficulty and safely rely on peaking, sight, and sound.

So its better than Absolution in that case. That game was just broken, I feared Thief would end up just as mediocre as that one but to me it looks and sounds a tad better.

Moff

I realise this has been answered already, but I've updated my earlier post with a countdown timer so here it is again:

hmm flyvpn is too slow for me sadly, and its on a limited timer so I cant unlock a game with it.
I had another vpn client recommended on GAF once, it offered a one day full vpn service for 1$. anyone remember which one that was?

ekim

I can see it getting reviews all over the place from 5s to 9s depending on the difficulty and display options the reviewer did choose.

EatChildren

Lemme guess, you're getting a rather itchy trigger finger with your review right about now? :p

Nah, not too bad, just want it to go up when the embargo drops so it's not delayed like a lot of my/our review. Got this one done nice and early for once.

JaseC

hmm flyvpn is too slow for me sadly, and its on a limited timer so I cant unlock a game with it.
I had another vpn client recommended on GAF once, it offered a one day full vpn service for 1$. anyone remember which one that was?

You don't need to remain connected for the decryption process to finish. I mentioned as much in that very post. Valve recently added hardware-accelerated decryption to Steam (beta client only at this juncture) so with any luck the process will be much quicker than in the past.

Moff

You don't need to remain connected for the decryption process to finish. I mentioned as much in that very post. Valve recently added hardware-accelerated to Steam (beta client only at this juncture) so with any luck the process will be much quicker than in the past.

there isnt only the decryption process, though, it also needs to download some final files.
it will take longer than 20 minutes, at least ony my rig. and then play will go back to pre-load and I'll need to restart the whole process new. this happened to me several times in the past, and now that flyvpn is restricted to 20min it doesnt work for me anymore.

thats why I had another vpn client, the one I mentioned above that gives you full access for 1 day for 1$.

B4D1E

Nah, not too bad, just want it to go up when the embargo drops so it's not delayed like a lot of my/our review. Got this one done nice and early for once.

When your review is up, could you please post the link in here? Thanks in advance.

Will we have another Ryse-gate on our hands?

JaseC

there isnt only the decryption process, though, it also needs to download some final files.
it will take longer than 20 minutes, at least ony my rig. and then play will go back to pre-load and I'll need to restart the whole process new. this happened to me several times in the past, and now that flyvpn is restricted to 20min it doesnt work for me anymore.

thats why I had another vpn client, the one I mentioned above that gives you full access for 1 day for 1$.

The downloading of additional files depends on the game and since this is lumped in with the decryption process I'd, well, consider it part of the decryption process. In any case, again, once the process has begun you can kill the VPN and then reload it when complete for the Pre-load button to change to Play. Once Steam has begun a process, disabling the VPN doesn't end it; for example I most recently had to connect to a Russian server to get Black Flag's pre-load going after Ubi mistakenly reintroduced the onlyallowrunincountries flag. When I disabled the VPN, Steam stopped reporting a total download size, but the download still continued.

EatChildren

When your review is up, could you please post the link in here? Thanks in advance.

Will we have another Ryse-gate on our hands?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on my video review, and I quickly nabbed five downsampled shots.

And it's a secret.

Chobel

So I was reading reddit and found this. (tagged as rumor)

/r/games said:
While browsing the PC message board on GameFAQs (a sister site of Gamespot) I had scrolled to the bottom of the page and found this this box of links:

0QDvdrQ.jpg

Clicking on the Thief review brought me to a 404 page, which makes me think that the review is written but not "activated" due to the embargo, but the linkbox widget thing doesn't keep track of that so we can see the score. All of this is speculation so far, but if it's true and not just a coding error or whatnot, Thief isn't looking super hot.

EDIT: nvm, it was posted yesterday. my bad guys.

Top Bottom