• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

Dion

Banned
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm starting out on Master difficulty with over 700 points in custom modifiers. I just completed Chapter 1, and I have to say that playing with no knockouts allowed makes the stealth really satisfying, especially when trying to 100% each chapter. Rather than just accumulating a heap of bodies, you actually have to carefully track NPC paths and find the right moment to grab each piece of loot. Some excellent tense moments from the first chapter:

-Grabbing items just one or two at a time from under the jeweler's nose each time he switches between tables.
-Carefully picking the 5-tumbler lock on the wall safe in the dark with a guard walking back and forth behind me, knowing a single failed pin set will create enough noise for the guard to notice me.
-Cleaning out the entire jeweler's display room without drawing the attention of the circling guard once.

Really Thiefy stuff, even in smaller levels. And I'm now pretty surprised by the AI complaints; it's been pretty solid so far, and there have been multiple instances in which they've noticed open safes or display cases, which I found impressive.

Oh, and I really really like the swoop button. Feels so good to snatch an item and them swoop away just in time to avoid detection.

It's still early on so my impressions may be invalidated later, but I'm having a ton of fun so far. No defending the writing though; the dialogue so far has been just terrible.

I wonder what settings the reviewers used. I have a feeling it was normal on alot of them. I remember this same issue with Splinter Cell Blacklist. The normal setting just felt like a dumb modern consoled up game. However playing on Perfectionist was a Completely different game and BETTER game.

I have a feeling Thief will be quite similar to that.

forrest

formerly nacire
Well I was able to get the download finished on VPN, but by the time it finished I was already disconnected and Steam switched back from "Play" to "PreLoad". Now I've been trying to reconnect to VPN for the last hour and a half just to launch the damn game.
LLShC.gif

Not sure playing this a couple hours early will be worth the frustration.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I wonder what settings the reviewers used. I have a feeling it was normal on alot of them. I remember this same issue with Splinter Cell Blacklist. The normal setting just felt like a dumb modern consoled up game. However playing on Perfectionist was a Completely different game and BETTER game.

I have a feeling Thief will be quite similar to that.

It's a better game on harder settings, yes. Master Custom with focus locked off, waypoints turned off, and maybe harder blackjack stuns is mandatory for all seasoned stealth gamers, in my opinion.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's a better game on harder settings, yes. Master Custom with focus locked off, waypoints turned off, and maybe harder blackjack stuns is mandatory for all seasoned stealth gamers, in my opinion.

Thanks for the advice. Saves me rummaging through the options myself. ;)

kudoboi

is steam cards for this game not live yet? i played for an hour or so and didnt get any. the game also doesn't show up on my steam profile.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There's other options you can look into that might be of value, like turning off guard alert icons (forcing you to rely on stance and audio cues), and increasing the cost of resources in stores. The former is good, but I haven't played with the latter enough to know its long term value.

JaseC

Well I was able to get the download finished on VPN, but by the time it finished I was already disconnected and Steam switched back from "Play" to "PreLoad". Now I've been trying to reconnect to VPN for the last hour and a half just to launch the damn game.
LLShC.gif

Not sure playing this a couple hours early will be worth the frustration.

Give inCloak a try. The trial only lasts 24 hours but by then the game will have unlocked in the US and you can use the ever-reliable Spotflux instead if need be.

How good will this game look on the PS4? Hopefully, not too pithy in comparison, to visual the greatness in Eatchildrens PC review....

forrest

formerly nacire
Give inCloak a try. The trial only lasts 24 hours but by then the game will have unlocked in the US and you can use the ever-reliable Spotflux instead if need be.

Thanks for the heads up, I finally got FlyVPN to work after just brute forcing my my onto the servers again. After getting Thief running, this is the first game that has really made me feel like it's time for some hardware upgrades.

stufte

Ugh, no matter where I connect to via VPN, steam still thinks I'm connected in the US. WHY CAN YOU SEE THROUGH MY LIES STEAM, WHY?

*edit* crap. I think I know why. My work computer is logged in, and since I'm in the home streaming beta, unless I log out there I have no hope of convincing steam of my fake whereabouts... :(

*edit2* WOO! I changed my password to force my work computer to log out. You are now mine Thief!

Xander51

I think I shot a water arrow by quickly releasing and pressing left mouse again. My 660Ti is struggling to keep up with the screen space reflections and tesselation, which is sad because I was really excited for those. Just barely beats out 30 FPS in the benchmark with AA off at 1080p. Honestly considering dropping the resolution just for the cool visual effects. Anything else I can turn down first to help? Also took shadows from Very High to High, but that had minimal impact.

I realize I sound like a complete tool prioritizing graphics in this discussion, but this is the first game with this level of visuals that also is potentially interesting to me from a gameplay perspective. I don't buy many AAA games.

Bummer to hear it doesn't run well on a 660ti. Loved that card and it normally handles UE3 quite well. Guess I'll go with the Xbox One version.

TheD

The Detective
Bummer to hear it doesn't run well on a 660ti. Loved that card and it normally handles UE3 quite well. Guess I'll go with the Xbox One version.

No, don't get it on the XB1, performance on the consoles is said to be pretty bad (can not even keep 30FPS).
By all accounts the game runs quite well on PC, thefil might just be running around with the ingame supersampling turned on (I have heard that it runs well maxed out bar SSAA at res below 1920x1080 on a 560Ti, so a 660Ti should not have a problem at all).

Ark

Cancelled my pre-order for this just now. While the game looks intriguing to me, I'm not suffering through the drought so badly that I'll pick this up. I've still got Strider, AC4 Platinum to get, and Bravely Default to play through.

I'll definitely pick this up if it goes to PS+ or in a Steam Sale though.

JaseC

I just reached Chapter 1. I assume it's possible to revisit the location in the prologue? IIRC, there were 9 collectables and I the only one I grabbed was that near the start, behind the painting.

Edit: Err, I'm not sure where I got 9 from: my journal just says 1/84. Anywho, my question still stands.

Edit edit: Ah, when you find a collectable a notification in the bottom-left-hand corner states how many are in that particular set.

KaoticBlaze

I just reached Chapter 1. I assume it's possible to revisit the location in the prologue? IIRC, there were 9 collectables and I the only one I grabbed was that near the start, behind the painting.

Lets not forget to use spoiler tags please. Some of us like to explore and find out on our own.

Will someone please explain the context sensitive jumping to me? As I understand it, it's complete dog shit. It seems when I'm trying to jump onto a scaffold or plank sticking out, I'll jump to the ground instead, it's infuriating. The context sensitive jumping and the context sensitive pickpocket/open are driving me mad. I've made it to Chpt. 3 so far with no kills or knockout on Master Difficulty, and it seems the primary reason I'll die/restart is directly due to the context sensitive actions.

For example, I'll open a case and steal a bunch of jewelry out of it, making sure that the patrolling guard doesn't have me in his line of sight, while closing the case I sneak around the case getting ready to pickpocket him, go to pickpocket and instead of that I do a peak maneuver, bumping into the guard in the process. It's insanely annoying. I have tons of keys on this keyboard, lemme use them. I understand concessions had to be made for the limited amount of buttons on a controller, but at least if I'm not using a controller, let me rebind every action to a key if I want to.

That really big annoying flaw, and the fact that ambient noise/music seems to cut out randomly(I can't be the only one right?) aside, I'm really enjoying the atmosphere of the game. The graphics look great, even if that UE3 texture shit pops up, and it does especially when loading into the initial area from the Clocktower. It seems that I'll have to wait a solid 10 seconds or so before I have control. This game so far is a lot of fun, but it has some really baffling design decisions. I guess when you have too many fingers in the pot, it can spoil the meal. I felt it was an okay purchase at $25.00. I'm really enjoying the Custom Master Difficulty choices I made.

JaseC

For Steam users, the game is now playable in America and additional Asian territories. Full list:

21 minutes ago Changed ReleaseStateOverrideCountries – CN,MN,KR,TW,LA,TH,KH,VN,PH,BN,MY,SG,ID,HK,MO,JP,BS,PA,BZ,CR,SV,GT,HN,NI,VE,CO,GY,SR,GF,BR,PE,BO,PY,UY,AR,CL,EC,US,CA,MX,PR

Will someone please explain the context sensitive jumping to me? As I understand it, it's complete dog shit. It seems when I'm trying to jump onto a scaffold or plank sticking out, I'll jump to the ground instead, it's infuriating.

Yeah, it took me a good few attempts to jump on the rope towards the end of the prologue. I don't see why Squeenix didn't simply make jumping a general ability with a few basic contextual climbing actions, like in Far Cry 3.

As a die-hard Thief fan, I don't really get the universal hate for the game.

Granted, I played so far only the prologue and the first mission but it feels like a solid Thief game. The PC version is beautiful, runs rock solid on my R9 280X and gameplay is fun (on Master difficulty).

Yes, AI is spotty at best, the dialog is sometimes cringe worthy and Garrett's voice actor gets on my nerves but overall I'm having fun.

As a die-hard Thief fan, I don't really get the universal hate for the game.

Granted, I played so far only the prologue and the first mission but it feels like a solid Thief game. The PC version is beautiful, runs rock solid on my R9 280X and gameplay is fun (on Master difficulty).

Yes, AI is spotty at best, the dialog is sometimes cringe worthy and Garrett's voice actor gets on my nerves but overall I'm having fun.

It's not universal hate. Just a vocal majority. I like the game, I'm a huge fan of the Thief Series. The two biggest issues I have with this game is the shit context sensitive controls and the segmented level design. If this game had a hub world that streamed seamlessly to the other parts I'd at least learn to and eventually overcome the control issues. But as big as the game is, and it's relativly big, Immersion is killed by the constant loading of new areas. It does play pretty damn well on PC; i7 4770k@4.6Ghz/GTX 780/8gb ram and I can appreciate the effort. But, it does feel like this game is resticted pretty heavily by UE3. I imagine if it had been designed from the ground up for "Next-Gen" it would have alleviated a lot of the problems I have with it.

Immersion is killed by the constant loading of new areas.

Gotta say I didn't really experience it too much. I had a couple of loading screens between areas in the hub but that's standard procedure in Thief games. DS did a lot of that as well but it didn't really hurt my overall enjoyment. Again, that's from just playing a couple of hours so idk.

My main gripe is that the game is far too restrictive on where you can go and what you can do. You can't plop a rope arrow wherever you want, you sometimes hit an invisible wall where you seem to be able to go, you can jump only where you have the context to do so, etc. Also, the map is horrible.

Moff

as a diehard thief fan since dark project, I gotta say this game is nowhere as as bad as it seems.
I only did two of the main missions, maybe it gets worse after that.
the city is great, its pretty bug and with tons of sidequests in different sizes, I really like that.
its by all means not a great game, but after what I expected, its ok.
I'm glad the levels are not tunnels, they are nowhere as big as in thief 1 and 2, but who honestly expected that?
I'm glad they feel like thief, just on a smaller scale. there are usually several ways provided, the stealth system works.

the only thing I disable is the questmarker by the way, because its huge and ugly.
where are the custom setting anyway? are they accessible from start?

JJD

Game is up on the PS4 store. 20Gb, plus a patch and the Bank Heist side mission.

Edit: Strange...on the PSN Store it says the game is 20.3 GB, but on the notification page after you start the download it says it's only 4.6GB...

Unfortunately I can't see the size of the update file and of the DLC mission, but I bet they are kinda small. I wonder why the size discrepancy between the PSN Store and the actual game size...

Edit 2: The game is indeed 20.3 GB, the 4.6GB download is just the minimum required for you to start the game. It is still downloading in the background. What a nice feature! :)

Dion

Banned
After playing the game for 3½ hours.. ( Since it unlocked )

The reviews are completely wrong imo... This game is fantastic. I am almost positive they played it on Normal. And did not touch ANY of the Custom settings to make it like the old games.

Alot of reviewers did the same shit in Splinter Cell Blacklist. Which is a fantastic game too. ( Perfectionist or go home )

Game is a stealth fans dream.

This is why I hate reviews.. and NEVER listen to them.

Oh dear, these posts and the GMG deal meant I pulled the trigger.

Guess I'll be back here bitching about this or pleasantly surprised or both soon enough.

-PXG-

I am so on the the fence. I have the PS4 version paid in full. I'm not sure if I should pick it up or not. I could get it, but not open it and always return it. What do...

JimPanzer

anyone running this on an GTX760? what fps with which settings do you get?
edit: sorry, didn't see the performance thread, nevermind

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
There's other options you can look into that might be of value, like turning off guard alert icons (forcing you to rely on stance and audio cues), and increasing the cost of resources in stores. The former is good, but I haven't played with the latter enough to know its long term value.

Where is the option for increasing store currency? I didn't see that one... is it just tied to overall difficulty?

IcyEyes

Look, I will say this straight: don't listen to the reviews, or at least read them but don't use them only for your final decision.

Good reviewers in these days are pretty rare and I feel so bad when I read something written in a *very* shallow way.

I know some reviewers and I know how them (mainly) work. Some of them spend more time on forums and twitter than playing... so figure out the quality of their reviews.

It's pretty easy to bash a videogame only focusing on the negative/poor sides.

What I'm saying is videogame reviews is something you really need to take wisely or you will spent more time reading bad or good reviews instead of enjoying a game.

It's a lot better to listen to the *real* gamers opinions in forums like this, where guys like EatChildren (and other reviewers) can really provide you with good feedback if you have some doubts.

I asked some clarifications to a guy in the review thread (he wrote a review) and this was his reply:

I'm one of the reviewers that tends to focus more on the positive then the negative, and while I still enjoyed it, there is no opinion on the game being rough at moments, the long load times, the confusing layouts, and the typical AI, that's just plain truth. Even I can see it. What won me over was the games atmosphere, missions, and different ways to progress and items to use to your liking.

This is pretty important for some people !

Ps If you have played this game on PS4, how about the frame rate ?

Framerate was decent but it did dip throughout. Yes, the atmosphere went a long way into keeping me playing further. It's a game I'd revisit for the atmosphere alone, that's how strongly I enjoyed that aspect of it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Need help on the Bank side mission:

My objective is "Find the combination". I've both stolen the note that the bank teller was holding upstairs, and opened the 7th locker to get the combination note.

The teller's note says the combination is "682", and the note in the 7th locker says it's "68" and the third number is missing.

I entered 682 into the bank vault, and it doesn't work. Am I missing something?

Also, what do the cameras do? I've triggered every one of them, and they just ring and ring and nothing happens. I have knocked out all the guards except for two sleeping ones. I guess the alarm doesn't wake up the sleepers?

Moff

whats a confusing layout?
isnt that a good thing? thief 1 and 2 were "confusing" too.

load times on the pc are next to non-existend by the way, 5- 10 seconds maximum

EatChildren

Where is the option for increasing store currency? I didn't see that one... is it just tied to overall difficulty?

It's an option at the start when you select custom difficulty. There's two groups of options: menu options, like HUD and waypoint markers, that can be toggled on/off at any point. And new game difficulty options, which can only be changed when you start a file by selecting "Custom" difficulty. Custom allows you to turn on/off an assortment of shit like harder blackjack kills and increased store prices, as well as no checkpoints and no alerts.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It's an option at the start when you select custom difficulty. There's two groups of options: menu options, like HUD and waypoint markers, that can be toggled on/off at any point. And new game difficulty options, which can only be changed when you start a file by selecting "Custom" difficulty. Custom allows you to turn on/off an assortment of shit like harder blackjack kills and increased store prices, as well as no checkpoints and no alerts.

I can't remember if I turned that on. What are the store prices when it's increased? Right now I think water arrows are 75, gas arrows are 150... does that sound like the option is on?

R0ckman

EatChildren, would you say this is worth purchasing at $9.99 (technically $5 for me actually)? I was thinking of taking advantage of the trade 2 for a 9.99 new game deal going on at Gamestop today.

EatChildren

I can't remember if I turned that on. What are the store prices when it's increased? Right now I think water arrows are 75, gas arrows are 150... does that sound like the option is on?

That sound standard. I don't know what the increase prices are.

EatChildren, would you say this is worth purchasing at $9.99 (technically $5 for me actually)? I was thinking of taking advantage of the trade 2 for a 9.99 new game deal going on at Gamestop today.

For $10, sure.

Unlocked the game. Booted it up and yeah......

The game doesn't scale very well to lower end PC rigs at all which is very surprising considering the engine being used (UE3). I think I understand why even the curent gen consoles (PS4/Xbone) are struggling to hit 30 FPS and have dips at their respective resolutions. The CPU is being absolutely choked when loading up newer zones leading to drops to as low as 0 - 5 FPS.

Loading times are also pretty atrocious.

This is probably the worst performing UE3 based game I've ever played on my PC. They really botched up the optimization phase.

justjim89

Getting ready to hop in myself, will post impressions when I stop. As probably the most outspoken apologist for this game, let's see if it's bad enough to dissuade me.

Ugh, I hate when games have to update when I've already pre-loaded them. Isn't the point of pre-loading to be able to just hit play and go?

Unlocked the game. Booted it up and yeah......

The game doesn't scale very well to lower end PC rigs at all which is very surprising considering the engine being used (UE3). I think I understand why even the curent gen consoles (PS4/Xbone) are struggling to hit 30 FPS and have dips. The CPU is being absolutely choked when loading up newer zones leading to drops to as low as 0 - 5 FPS. Loading times are also pretty atrocious.

Probably the worst performing UE3 based game I've ever played on my system. They really botched up the optimization phase.

That's troubling to hear. I play on a laptop and it's usually pretty good for me unless a game is poorly optimized.

Getting ready to hop in myself, will post impressions when I stop. As probably the most outspoken apologist for this game, let's see if it's bad enough to dissuade me.

As a fellow apologist, I highly recommend Master difficulty at a minimum, as well as a bunch of the custom adjustments--they've gone a long way to make Thief feel like Thief so far for me.

justjim89

How long did it take this game to update for y'all? Been upwards of 20 minutes for me, time estimate is jumping around between a half hour and 2 hours. What the fuck is it even updating? I pre-loaded the game.

Top Bottom