• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

parabolee

A few hours in and I am really enjoying it so far, thanks to this advice from Edge Online -

Disable Focus and the game reveals itself to be worthy of the series’ name, but go further and play on the hardest difficulty, which makes civilian knockouts a failstate, and Thief becomes a moreish, slow-burning exercise in expertly delivered tension.

Also I HIGHLY recommend turning off the way points too! The less the game holds you hand, the more fun (and like a true Thief game) it is. So glad I did not let the detractors stop me from buying this (although they did convince me to find a better price than the $34 master edition, which I kinda regret not getting).

Seems to me if you are a big fan of stealth and/or the old Thief games, and you play on master difficulty with focus and way points turned off, you should really enjoy the game. And the highly customisable difficulty settings are fantastic, this can be as hardcore of a Thief game as you want it to be! For people playing on normal with focus on, I imagine it's an overly simple and easy game with crappy combat.

If you play Thief the way it was designed to be played, you will see very little combat. I intentionally got in to a few scuffles just to see imagine what the game is like for those playing it at default settings. Have yet to see what "Focus" even does,

justjim89

Changing difficulty or HUD elements doesn't change the poor level design or environment traversal.

I'm up to Chapter 3 and haven't seen any of either. Hallways could be wider, but that's my only issue. Traversal is great for me, not being able to jump freely doesn't impact it too much.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Changing difficulty or HUD elements doesn't change the poor level design or environment traversal.

While this is true, information feedback will change a player's perception of a scenario and game design. Waypoints are a good example; they increase the artificial perception of level design. Turn them off the lines between zones become blurred and the game world as a whole more cohesive and interesting to explore. To Thief's credit, a lot of the stuff you can toggle benefits the game experience and doesn't feel like an artificial challenge. Not like Hitman: Absolution's high level modes which were fundamentally incompatible with the new game systems.

That being said, I still think the game design as a whole is significantly more limited and less robust than something like The Metal Age. Many components have been simplified and streamlined and even on higher difficulties with tweaks it's less demanding. I still think they fucked up balance between item/equipment economising and use within levels, blackjacking is too generous and easy to perform (even with alert/aerial kills turned off), and the AI too easily explotiable in tiny encounter zones. If I can hide in a vent or jump over a ledge after dashing under a light or two and bypass an entire late game area while the AI just forgets I even existed, it's not exceptional level/stealth design.

Like I said in my review, it's a serviceable stealth game that focuses on stealth as an absolute, and that's a good thing. But I don't think it's an amazing game, has troubled design, and does not fully live up to the scope of the Thief franchise. Could have and should have been more.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm not sure how it looks on the XB1, but on PC it looks considerably better than Dishonored. Gameplay wise though, it's lacking. Thief (the series) isn't really as action-oriented as Dishonored, but this game takes a step back as a Thief game. Partly because it's clearly designed for consoles moreso than PC, so the controls are stripped to the basics. The level design from what I've played is a bit boring and bland too. The environments can look quite nice but the design of them geometry wise as a play area is boring.

I can't really say I reccomend buying the game.
I don't believe that the controls are dumbed down for consoles at all. The original Thief could work absolutely perfectly on a gamepad. There's absolutely nothing in the original games which would not translate.

The changes made here were done for other reasons.

Dion

Banned
A few hours in and I am really enjoying it so far, thanks to this advice from Edge Online -

Disable Focus and the game reveals itself to be worthy of the series’ name, but go further and play on the hardest difficulty, which makes civilian knockouts a failstate, and Thief becomes a moreish, slow-burning exercise in expertly delivered tension.

Also I HIGHLY recommend turning off the way points too! The less the game holds you hand, the more fun (and like a true Thief game) it is. So glad I did not let the detractors stop me from buying this (although they did convince me to find a better price than the $34 master edition, which I kinda regret not getting).

Seems to me if you are a big fan of stealth and/or the old Thief games, and you play on master difficulty with focus and way points turned off, you should really enjoy the game. And the highly customisable difficulty settings are fantastic, this can be as hardcore of a Thief game as you want it to be! For people playing on normal with focus on, I imagine it's an overly simple and easy game with crappy combat.

If you play Thief the way it was designed to be played, you will see very little combat. I intentionally got in to a few scuffles just to see imagine what the game is like for those playing it at default settings. Have yet to see what "Focus" even does,

Exactly spot on.

This game is a 9/10 with ease..

Reviewers dropped the ball BIG time on this game. They played it on Normal. And just explained you could turn off stuff.. But actually didn't play it. It's a completely different game. And by different. I mean like the old games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Exactly spot on.

Reviewers dropped the ball BIG time on this game. They played it on Normal. And just explained you could turn off stuff.. But actually didn't play it. It's a completely different game. And by different. I mean like the old games.

When the game properly unlocks in my region and allows me to share achievements I'll gladly show you my "Complete on Master" and "Complete without Focus" timestamped unlocks if you'd like to continue having a tanty about it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly spot on.

Even if that's true, and I believe it may very well be, I don't see how it's the fault of reviewers. The developer/publisher shouldn't have made a game that is not fun to play on its default settings.

I turned off the loot glitter and the objective marker/Focus are next to go when I pick this up again tomorrow night. I do get annoyed when I have to artificially customize my experience to make it a good one. Reminds of all those people who talked about going HUDless in the original Assassin's Creed and how that was the only true way to play.

Exactly spot on.

I dunno, I haven't beaten yet, I'm on Chpt. 3 with custom Master Difficulty with no waypoints or focus. I've yet to kill or knockout anyone except in the tutorial and I still think the reviewers have very valid points. From what I've played, I'd give it a 6.5/10. Which I don't think is a terrible score or undeserved. Streaming on Twitch if anyone wants to see. PC maxed out on Custom Master Difficulty.

Sojgat

Is there an option to change the PS4 touchpad stuff to a radial menu, like in the other versions?

Trying to decide what platform I'm getting this on.

Edit: Anybody?

Played through the prologue, chapter 1 and some of 2 and really enjoying it so far. Like taking my time searching every corner for loot.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just finished the first level and honestly the game is rather good. Turned off most display prompts and trying to be as pure stealth as possible. Turns out I missed 4 out if the 5 collectibles so the game seems rather meaty.

The mood and atmosphere are pretty fucking great as well.

I found the spooky level to be very spooky indeed up until
when they introduced enemies and killed the mood.

Definitely a nice change of pace from the tedium.

Dion

Banned
When the game properly unlocks in my region and allows me to share achievements I'll gladly show you my "Complete on Master" and "Complete without Focus" timestamped unlocks if you'd like to continue having a tanty about it.

No I believe you. And I was just generalizing.. There is also alot more options to make the game like the old instead of just Focus off too. And based on your video you didn't turn some of those options on or off.

Even if that's true, and I believe it may very well be, I don't see how it's the fault of reviewers. The developer/publisher shouldn't have made a game that is not fun to play on its default settings.

Ya I agree. They really shouldn't have even put the focus and other crap that makes it not like the old games. But a game that appeals to everyone brings in more $. Which I can understand they are in the business of making money. But with some custom options and some hud disables. It's very much like the old games.. And imo an easy 9/10.

Exactly spot on.

Isn't this conjecture? The design itself is explained in detail, and it's unanimously agreed that it does stray far away from the original Thief series. If you're going to go by "stealth" as it's prominent gameplay feature then I would argue that Skyrim is also a Thief game since you can play it with stealth as your main perk. Disabling certain HUD features does not change the core design of the game significantly that it becomes an entirely different game altogether. That excuse goes outside the window.

madmackem

Ive knocked on the head my ps4 preorder for now, ill wait for the df article as id suffer a drop in res on the xboxone version if the frame rate is proven to be better, this shouldnt be but given the game seems a bit fucked on everything ill take the least fucked frame rate. Hurry up df.

How is the studio with patching and ongoing support? Not going to pick this up right now as I am busy, but want to in the future. Will it likely be better?

EatChildren

No I believe you. And I was just generalizing.. There is also alot more options to make the game like the old instead of just Focus off too. And based on your video you didn't turn some of those options on or off.

My video was recorded after I'd finished the game with a number of things turned on/off as I was messing with things. And I took a handful of shots posted earlier in this thread with nothing on at all for kicks. None of my full, real play was recorded.

It's a stupid generalisation based entirely in "my opinion is different so the must be liars". You have literally no evidence to prove your point. It's bitter and petty and not a particularly good look. From the looks of things reviewers played Thief across an assortment of difficulties and tweaks and regardless of this there's no firm consensus on the game's overall quality. People here, who paid for a copy and are in no way bound to reviews/publishers/etc are also polarising in opinions. Might be time to accept Thief is just that, irrespective of settings: polarising. Opinions and all.

EDIT: And for what it's worth, 9/10 from me is borderline masterpiece. At no point and in no way did Thief come close to that during the entirety of my playthrough. It would be hyperbolic and dishonest for me to rate it so highly.

I've had two video driver crashes in the 4th chapter, very very minor spoiler
going down the elevator behind the bookshelf
and I'm pretty annoyed. It has such odd performance. One minute it'll run very well, then the next, not so well.

EatChildren

I've had two video driver crashes in the 4th chapter, very very minor spoiler
going down the elevator behind the bookshelf
and I'm pretty annoyed. It has such odd performance. One minute it'll run very well, then the next, not so well.

I must have got super lucky for once. A lot of folk, reviewers as people playing now, have reported technical issues. Outside of SSAA not working, and the aspect ratio fucking up when buying/selling from the black market dude, I didn't have a single crash, graphical error, animation fuck up, or anything. Consistently impressive tech performance.

B4D1E

When I got home yesterday, I launched the download on my XB1 and I came back 30 or45 mins later, it was at 38% of installation and ready to launch.

I played for about 4 hours (The prologue, chapter 1 and some sidequest in the city). I think I'm not playing the same game as some of other posters on this thread. I really enjoy what I'm playing and love the atmosphere of the game. I had some stressful moments and whooping at the last moment is so satisfying, especially when you try to not knock-out anybody (e.g.: The jeweler house or the apothecary)

So far I had no framerate issue, nor screen-tearing. But I encourage you to play this game with headphones on.

PS: English is not my native language, so I apologize in advance if you don't understand what I meant lol

Carcetti

Yeah. As an old Thief fan my chief problem with this one is the abysmal level design. Many levels like
the cathedral, underground city, the harbor/boat, the bordello
, etc are in reality just really long corridors masquarading as places, and they're broken by load points (lift that fallen beam the millionth time, Garrett, oh now a door locked behind you) and peppered with fake doors. The good levels are the side mission ones
(Tailor's place is tiny but just what Thief is about)
, and the
architect's manor
at least tries to be an actual house.

If you claim this is 9.5 game, name me one level that beats Lord Bafford's Manor as a Thief level.

The AI is really depressing too. I've had guards walking against walls when their pathfinding went wrong.

Truant

I must have got super lucky for once. A lot of folk, reviewers as people playing now, have reported technical issues. Outside of SSAA not working, and the aspect ratio fucking up when buying/selling from the black market dude, I didn't have a single crash, graphical error, animation fuck up, or anything. Consistently impressive tech performance.

This is my PC gaming life in a nutshell. I never experience glitches and errors like these. I had some crashes in DX11 games before, but that was just my undervolted GPU. I guess I have a lucky setup.

jrcbandit

It's a stupid generalisation based entirely in "my opinion is different so the must be liars". You have literally no evidence to prove your point. It's bitter and petty and not a particularly good look. From the looks of things reviewers played Thief across an assortment of difficulties and tweaks and regardless of this there's no firm consensus on the game's overall quality. People here, who paid for a copy and are in no way bound to reviews/publishers/etc are also polarising in opinions. Might be time to accept Thief is just that, irrespective of settings: polarising. Opinions and all.

EDIT: And for what it's worth, 9/10 from me is borderline masterpiece. At no point and in no way did Thief come close to that during the entirety of my playthrough. It would be hyperbolic and dishonest for me to rate it so highly.

I agree that Thief is not a 9/10, a 8/10 at best but possibly 7.5 (however, my review scale doesn't start at 7...). I do take issue with discounting how reviewers play games. The vast majority will play games on easy or normal to get through the game quickly as possible for review. They might try out hard mode or various modifiers but only dabble in such. Thus, some games that start to shine on hard difficulty mode will get shafted in reviews. For instance, Knack is no where near a 9/10 but it was definitely better than the 5-6/10 average - it also needed to be played on hard difficulty to be fun.

I think Thief really needed an extra difficulty level that already had many of the presets turned on/off + Master thief mode. That would make it easier for reviewers and players to experience the true Thief game without having to tune everything themselves. I'm sure the publisher insisted on normal mode + focus + all that other crap to appeal to the COD/ADD crowd to try to get mass sales ;p. Maybe when you start the game it should ask if you want to play the game as an action/stealth game or a stealth game and then just select various defaults automatically (while still giving you the option to fine tune it).

Moff

Yeah. As an old Thief fan my chief problem with this one is the abysmal level design. Many levels like
the cathedral, underground city, the harbor/boat, the bordello
, etc are in reality just really long corridors masquarading as places, and they're broken by load points (lift that fallen beam the millionth time, Garrett, oh now a door locked behind you) and peppered with fake doors. The good levels are the side mission ones
(Tailor's place is tiny but just what Thief is about)
, and the
architect's manor
at least tries to be an actual house.

If you claim this is 9.5 game, name me one level that beats Lord Bafford's Manor as a Thief level.

The AI is really depressing too. I've had guards walking against walls when their pathfinding went wrong.
the bank heist level (pre order bonus) is the best level so far I think. its a real multi level building, including an exterior with three entry points.
I wouldnt call the level desig abysmal, its not nearly as good as in previous thief games, but I wouldnt call them linear tunnels either, thats the one thing that would really turn me off and thats not the case, yet.
the city is pretty cool, too.

Carcetti

the bank heist level (pre order bonus) is the best level so far I think. its a real multi level building, including an exterior with three entry points.
I wouldnt call the level desig abysmal, its not nearly as good as in previous thief games, but I wouldnt call them linear tunnels either, thats the one thing that would really turn me off and thats not the case, yet.
the city is pretty cool, too.

I guess abysmal is a strong word, let's say 'not that strong' instead, but I really dislike this game's style. I really liked how you can plan your moves on real world logic in old Thief games but here the only way to get into some places is through a window or through a vent, as doors might be non-interactable fakes too. The bank heist was pretty amazing due to the size , but I chose Bafford since it's the first real job you got to do as Garrett back then.

Moff

I guess abysmal is a strong word, but I really dislike this game's style. I really liked how you can plan your moves on real world logic in old Thief games but here the only way to get into some places is through a window or through a vent, as doors might be non-interactable fakes too. The bank heist was pretty amazing due to the size too, but I chose Bafford since it's the first real job you got to do as Garrett back then.

I meant the bank heist level in the new thief, not the one in metal age

Moff

Ah, the Metal Age heist was a favorite so I automatically thought of that :)

yep, it is, and the one in the new game doesnt come close.
but its a decent level, with multiple levels, an exterior and three entry points. I think its the best level I have seen in the new thief so far.

I guess my point about the reviews is that somewhere in the 6/7 out of 10 range is probably fair, but game reviewers so cheerfully overinflate and overrate so many other games that it makes Thief look bad, rather than just average with some very good points (atmosphere).

It's like every so often they pick a soft target for their sins so they can look like they can be harsh when needs be. And this time that soft target is Thief.

So load time are really fast. But it seems that my PC processes the load faster than the the animation will play when starting to pry open a window, so as a result it cuts to a load screen, loads for all of 2 seconds and then cuts back to the animation finishing and putting me into a new area and it's really jarring and just kills the atmosphere and my want to explore the environment. I don't want to explore the small little single rooms that you can find loot in as I get sick of seeing load screens, even if it's just for a few seconds at a time. So in summary, pry open a window, load screen, open window and go in, explore the one room which takes all of 10 seconds, pry open window, load screen, open window and exit. I'm pretty disappointed so far. Just finished Chpt. 4 and I think I'm just done with the game for now. It feels insanely unfocused and it has issues need to be addressed. I think I'll finish my Witcher play-through and go to Dishonored from there.

Truant

I'm replaying Deadly Shadows, and I have to say that game is pretty good even today. The atmosphere is amazing. It's hilarious that this new Thief is having the same issues as DS did ten years ago, yet people gave DS more beef back in the day for being dumbed down.

UE3 game with teething issues on new consoles.
Frequent loading screens.
Buggy AI.
Hu-hum open world sections.

Yet DS still had Stephen Russel, it had some of the magic that Ken Levine added to the universe, and it felt like Thief.

Got 3 hours into this last night on PC. I'm well into chapter 2 and did some SO far, it's a fine game. I'm really enjoying the stealth elements, The game looks fantastic and is super atmospheric. I've turned off all the training wheels (no focus) and have it running at max detail at 60fps in comfy couch mode on my 50 inch plasma.

I think the lower than 5 review scores are extremely harsh for this game based on my limited playtime.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm replaying Deadly Shadows, and I have to say that game is pretty good even today. The atmosphere is amazing. It's hilarious that this new Thief is having the same issues as DS did ten years ago, yet people gave DS more beef back in the day for being dumbed down.

UE3 game with teething issues on new consoles.
Frequent loading screens.
Buggy AI.
Hu-hum open world sections.

Yet DS still had Stephen Russel, it had some of the magic that Ken Levine added to the universe, and it felt like Thief.
Interesting that DS delivered a solid Thief experience while Invisible War failed to deliver Deus Ex. With Eidos Montreal we got the reverse.

Ubiquitar

Neo Member
I'm loving this game. I love the environment it places me in. The missions it gives me. I'm even enjoying the story. The game has also done a good job selling Garret. I haven't come across any glitches except when I knocked out a lady and threw her over a chair her body was completely horizontal (I should have taken a screenshot I know). Other than that the game is performing solidly and in my humble opinion does not deserve the wrath of the anonymous internet.

I'm with EatChildren here. I think there's potential for something better and it is largely missed by a number of design decisions. So far, the missions seem to be very "one way" as in, they aren't "get in, get out" affairs. The environments feel a little tight, and I don't get the feeling that my inventive nature solved these puzzles like I did in Thief II.

Furthermore, I don't feel a need to use anything special to get around. I don't feel like a thief who has necessary tools for bizarre situations. I feel like a thief who has these tools just for show.

Cheech

I am interested in how many of you who are enjoying this game played through the original Thief games.

The first two games are literally my favorite games of all time. Out of the thousands and thousands of games I've played, they are my favorites. The third game still has a lot of the old Thief magic, even if it's somewhat uneven compared to the first two.

I'm just not feeling this new game. It seems to have been made by people checking boxes on the old Thief games, without really understanding what made those games special.

The level design is truly awful. I've played far better Thief fan made levels.

There is too much loot. Shit is everywhere. There is no excitement in finding it like in the old games.

The new voice actor for Garrett isn't great. That was another box checked - "We need to have kinda the same sounding guy. Gravelly." There's no nuance in his performance at all.

The mechanics of the game are overwrought and don't work particularly well. I could write an entire essay on why it's simply not that much fun to play.

What happened to the universe and aesthetic of the old games? It feels like I am playing a very, very poor ripoff. Would it have killed the developers to put in some referential jokes, preferably using the word "Taffer"? The Builders? The game and the universe are just lifeless. Nothing about this has any personality whatsoever.

Anyway, I'm glad some of you are enjoying it. I hope it sells well enough that we get a sequel, preferably made by a developer with some talent. Personally, I am going to erase it and forget it existed.

Water

I agree that Thief is not a 9/10, a 8/10 at best but possibly 7.5 (however, my review scale doesn't start at 7...). I do take issue with discounting how reviewers play games. The vast majority will play games on easy or normal to get through the game quickly as possible for review. They might try out hard mode or various modifiers but only dabble in such. Thus, some games that start to shine on hard difficulty mode will get shafted in reviews.
This particular thing is also a failure of the game designer. I have long criticized games for providing different difficulty modes and other settings without indicating what the designer actually recommends. In the absence of that information, I tend to go with the defaults, and if forced to choose a difficulty, assume "normal" or equivalent is the optimal one. Even if I were to experiment with different settings, I can't experience the content for the first time on all of them; it will have been spoiled by the first playthrough. I don't want to play a meta-game with the settings, constantly second guessing whether a section of the game is actually supposed to feel like it does, whether I'm playing it wrong, or if I should be on different settings. I want the designer to do the designing.

I don't deny that hard games regularly get mistreated by game "journalists". There's no excuse for basing a review on dumbed down settings when you can tell or reasonably guess what settings are the intended/optimal ones.

Unmoses

I have played the original, when it was released, and all of the others. In fact, I love just about every Looking Glass game (even Terra Nova! I know right?)

For me it's a matter of perspective. I replayed thief a year go or so with some mods, I'll fire it up again here soon to bring myself back (i've replayed it a few times over the past 12 years) but my impressions aren't overly negative about the new one in comparison. I'm only into chapter 2 and I'm currently trying the bank heist (probably a mistake, i can't get out of the mission and I didn't buy a ton of shit, and I'm still going through the ropes) but it feels pretty good. I understand the consternation about controlled elements of the map and how the game controls fit into them, but I decided a long time ago if I find something fun, i'm willing to work in the parameters the designers decide, not to be angry that it's something I had wished. I had the same feeling playing Deus Ex: HR to be honest.

So maybe I'm just "rolling with the changes" of design, or willing to put up with them in this case, but I played about 3 hours last night going slow and savoring and to be honest other than the "press e" to get through a narrow alley phase everything else has been quite enjoyable. I often wonder after reading this forum if the old theory of the self-fulfilling prophecy doesn't ruin experiences for many.

I am interested in how many of you who are enjoying this game played through the original Thief games.

The first two games are literally my favorite games of all time. Out of the thousands and thousands of games I've played, they are my favorites. The third game still has a lot of the old Thief magic, even if it's somewhat uneven compared to the first two.

I'm just not feeling this new game. It seems to have been made by people checking boxes on the old Thief games, without really understanding what made those games special.

There is too much loot. Shit is everywhere. There is no excitement in finding it like in the old games.

The new voice actor for Garrett isn't great. That was another box checked - "We need to have kinda the same sounding guy. Gravelly." There's no nuance in his performance at all.

The mechanics of the game are overwrought and don't work particularly well. I could write an entire essay on why it's simply not that much fun to play.

What happened to the universe and aesthetic of the old games? It feels like I am playing a very, very poor ripoff. Would it have killed the developers to put in some referential jokes, preferably using the word "Taffer"? The Builders? The game and the universe are just lifeless. Nothing about this has any personality whatsoever.

Anyway, I'm glad some of you are enjoying it. I hope it sells well enough that we get a sequel, preferably made by a developer with some talent. Personally, I am going to erase it and forget it existed.

Ubiquitar

Neo Member

Ooh over here! I've played the original Thief games and I like this one too! But then again I enjoy a lot of things and appreciate it when a developer can put me into a believable world. This game has done a good job at that. Nor is it as boring and lifeless (to me) as you make it out to be. I don't need to have my past experiences be the same as my current one. So maybe I have benefited from putting my expectations on the shelf and just approaching this game openly. So yea, I'm digging it. :)

Moff

I find it hard to believe that you expected it to be the same as the original 2 thief games.
Its mostly a matter of expectation, I expected a linear cinematic experience, splinter cell style, and got a halfway decent thief game, worse than all its three predecessors, but its not awful either, I am enjoying it.
there have been worse reboots and worse stealth games than this, and I think there is too much decent content in this game to call it bad. but I'm not finished yet.

nynt9

Exactly spot on.

Even if you ignore the glaring technical issues this game is like 6/10 at best even with hardcore stealth options turned on - the level design is lacking, the story and dialogue are cringeworthy and the stealth mechanics are simplistic at best.

You might be enjoying the game despite its flaws, but it's a far cry from the old games and a far cry from a 9/10 even if you ignore the old games and try to have it stand on its own merits.

I pretty much agree with everything here except I think Garrets voice actor did a fine job. Other than that it's pretty much spot on.

Top Bottom