• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

GravyButt

I know its missing the point, but for some they may see it as a get out of jail free card anytime they get confused or in trouble.

Sectus

About to start my first game. I read an article that recommended custom settings to make this as close to the classic games as possible, but cannot remember the article, can anyone help me out?

Should I be playing with focus if I want a decent challenge?
I would say "no focus" is bare minimum. Focus makes the game a lot easier, and kinda feels like cheating. I would also recommend "no waypoint markers" (this is a display option, not difficulty option), so you're more encouraged to explore rather than have a "Go here!" marker on your screen.

There's other things to consider, but I think those are the two most important options.

UnrealEck

Every time I think about the movement and control in the new Thief, I think they've built the game for the controller. Things like the lack of a jump or the fact that to peak, you need to use the interact button at the edge of a wall. It's like it was designed around using fewer control inputs and because of this, it suffers. Navigating the environment seems to be too focused on showing you nice animated interactions with it as well. Just let me move, peek, jump freely. I hate scripted environment interaction when it's so restrictive.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
In the Rev3games gameplay walkthough/interview, the Dev specifically said how you could go back and play any level as many times as you like, to collect anything you missed first time around.

Great, cheers.

Every time I think about the movement and control in the new Thief, I think they've built the game for the controller. Things like the lack of a jump or the fact that to peak, you need to use the interact button at the edge of a wall. It's like it was designed around using fewer control inputs.

They clearly have built it for a controller.

Hence why I am playing with one, even on PC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Every time I think about the movement and control in the new Thief, I think they've built the game for the controller. Things like the lack of a jump or the fact that to peak, you need to use the interact button at the edge of a wall. It's like it was designed around using fewer control inputs.

Lean being contextual is patently ridiculous. Just let me use Q and E to lean like in, uh, the original game.

Every time I think about the movement and control in the new Thief, I think they've built the game for the controller. Things like the lack of a jump or the fact that to peak, you need to use the interact button at the edge of a wall. It's like it was designed around using fewer control inputs and because of this, it suffers. Navigating the environment seems to be too focused on showing you nice animated interactions with it as well. Just let me move, peek, jump freely. I hate scripted environment interaction when it's so restrictive.
I played for five minutes, then backed out and plugged in a 360 controller. Plays better.

So over two hours later and I STILL can't play this on my X1. I don't understand, my connection averages 80mbps yet for some reason my consoles seem to cap out at 20 at most.

Anyone else on X1 still "updating"

Also, if anyone knows how to turn off the vignetting or the white flash for entering the light, I will love you forever.

Like, what is the point of them either. I already have a light gem.

KaoticBlaze

Sorry if it has been asked already, I didnt see it as i skimmed through the thread. How do you get the minimap on. It says it is turned on in the options but it does not show as i am playing.

Carm

Is the Steam Overlay working for anyone? Tried restarting Steam, turning the option off/back on and nothing.

Is the Steam Overlay working for anyone? Tried restarting Steam, turning the option off/back on and nothing.

It works. I think the Steam community was running into issues and maybe that's why it was causing issues for you? It does work though.

daman824

Ahh! df is failing me. I'm so close to just pulling the trigger for the ps4 version. Despite a potentially lower framerate and the touchpad inventory gimmick. I'm just so game starved. All I want is the best version possible.

ys45

Anyone else having issue with the PC version ? The game says starting Thief and then nothing the .exe is not even in the task manager .

DSmalls84

Ahh! df is failing me. I'm so close to just pullig the trigger for the ps4 version. Despite a potentially lower framerate and the touchpad inventory gimmick. I'm just so game starved. And I want the best version possible.

Yeah still debating picking up my preorder for ps4 as well. I like stealth games and the art style looks great from the screens I have seen. Will probably grab it tomorrow, just hope I'm not disappointed.

Ahh! df is failing me. I'm so close to just pulling the trigger for the ps4 version. Despite a potentially lower framerate and the touchpad inventory gimmick. I'm just so game starved. And I want the best version possible.

I'll say it. You don't have a pc capable of playing it? It really does play pretty damn well on the PC.

MilkBeard

I just watched the IGN video review and heard a really memorable quote that made me chuckle. "You can almost get close enough to a guard to steal the boogers from his nose"

Carm

It works. I think the Steam community was running into issues and maybe that's why it was causing issues for you? It does work though.

If you mean earlier today, then nope. Just restarted computer and Steam again to see if that would clear it up, still no overlay. This is annoying.

So far I'm having a blast with this game. In a way, it feels like a mixture of Dishonored and Splinter Cell. The "swoop" mechanic reminds me a lot of the blink ability from Dishonored, and I love how although the missions themselves are linear, you're given multiple paths to take to each objective so that it doesn't feel like you're forced to do things one way. Just in the first level alone, I saw about 4-5 different paths I could take. You can even take alternate paths that have you walking along wooden beams above enemies, allowing you to drop down and take them out which is really cool.

I had something funny happen earlier. I was needing to flip open the top of a display case, then grab the jewelry inside. The first time I did it, I left the case open after I took the jewelry and when a patrolling guard came by, he noticed it and was alarmed. I retried the section and basically accidentally came up with a solution: I flipped a light switch, darkening the room and causing the guard to come over to the switch to investigate. I quickly swooped over to the display case, opened it up, grabbed the jewelry, closed the case, then swooped back into the areas not covered by the light by the time he flipped it back on.

Something similar happened in another area, too! Two guards were speaking to one another directly underneath a torch. I noticed one of them had some pouches I could steal from, but I wasn't quite sure how to best go about it. I could have of course quickly killed them both, but I wanted to go about it silently. I pulled out a water arrow, put out the torch with it, then amidst the darkness and confusion swooped up behind the guard with the pouches, pick-pocketed both of them, and swooped back into the darkness by the time they'd re-lit the torches.

Something else I can't help but love about the game is that you can actually save your progress anywhere. And not only that, but you can also quick save and quick load! Being able to save, then re-load after making crucial mistakes is key to a great stealth game IMO because it allows you to experiment without worrying about fucking up the entire mission and having to restart way back at some poorly placed checkpoint.

justjim89

tumblr_n1l6xrmA2d1rp5coao3_1280.jpg

Performance took a bit of dip in the open city between missions, so I had to reduce the texture quality to very low to bring it back up. The City hub areas in this remind me of The City hub areas in Deadly Shadows, but quite a bit larger and with a lot more verticality. For a game with no jump button, you do an awful lot of climbing and descending and what not.

I really enjoyed the second proper mission, a lot of bigger areas and more nooks and crannies to explore, like a giant, dank, dreary English muffin… or something. Don’t read too far into that analogy. It doesn’t hold together. Would Garrett be the butter? Ok, nevermind. The second mission, Dust to Dust. Good stuff to be found, and a lot of routes to find. Though a lot of them were inaccessible to me because I didn’t buy the wrench tool, because I turned on the cheat that made tools and supplies a shit load more expensive. Oh well. It’ll certainly give more challenge to the game. If there’s one complaint I could level against the level design, it’s that the hallways are a bit narrow and getting around patroling guards without alerting them is extra tricky. Doing this with autosaves only would be absolutely fucked.

This may garner some flack, but I’d make the contention that this is more of a deliberately stealthy game than the older games. In Thief 1 and 2, Garrett had a sword and could really hold his own in a fight if it came to that. In Deadly Shadows, he had a dagger that could still deal out damage. In this game, he has his bow and his blackjack, both of which are equally inefficient without the element of surprise. Fights with guards are much more deadly, and the bow is again really more of a tool than a weapon. If you get caught, it’s much smarter to flee than to fight, which is exactly how a thief like Garrett would act.

Again, this game is still pretty rough around the edges, and a few more months in development to polish it up could have done it a lot of good, but the core game here is Thief through and through. I can understand the disappointment, but this is a fun game.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm at 5 hours 30 minutes on the game clock just starting chapter 3. I'm playing on Master with everything off except light gem and save anywhere. I'm pretty sure I've been playing for longer, as time played doesn't count reloads which I've done many times.

Definitely recommend playing with "items more expensive" if you're not using focus, as it kind of corrects the economy of the game as you won't be spending anything on focus enhancements.

Also, I can't stress enough that this game is meant to be played at the hardest difficulty with all assists off.

This is one of the best game worlds designed entirely around exploration. All assists off and highest AI settings is the way to immerse yourself in it.

Absolutely fantastic game so far.

This really is a true Thief game, and in my opinion, a better one than Deadly Shadows.

It just goes to show, they made a classic Thief game, and the mainstream absolutely hates it. The publishers were right. The masses want Dudebro, and it's financial suicide to make anything in this classic vein. A shame.

I had something funny happen earlier. I was needing to flip open the top of a display case, then grab the jewelry inside. The first time I did it, I left the case open after I took the jewelry and when a patrolling guard came by, he noticed it and was alarmed. I retried the section and basically accidentally came up with a solution: I flipped a light switch, darkening the room and causing the guard to come over to the switch to investigate. I quickly swooped over to the display case, opened it up, grabbed the jewelry, closed the case, then swooped back into the areas not covered by the light by the time he flipped it back on.

I handled that display case the exact same way. There's a lot more room for creative play than this game is getting credit for.

justjim89

I'm at 5 hours 30 minutes on the game clock just starting chapter 3. I'm playing on Master with everything off except light gem and save anywhere. I'm pretty sure I've been playing for longer, as time played doesn't count reloads which I've done many times.

Definitely recommend playing with "items more expensive" if you're not using focus, as it kind of corrects the economy of the game as you won't be spending anything on focus enhancements.

Also, I can't stress enough that this game is meant to be played at the hardest difficulty with all assists off.

This is one of the best game worlds designed entirely around exploration. All assists off and highest AI settings is the way to immerse yourself in it.

This really is a true Thief game, and in my opinion, a better one than Deadly Shadows.

It just goes to show, they made a classic Thief game, and the mainstream absolutely hates it. The publishers were right. The masses want Dudebro, and it's financial suicide to make anything in this classic vein. A shame.

I'll agree with all of this. I think PC Gamer and Rock Paper Shotgun's reviews are much more accurate assessments of this game than IGN and the like.

I'm eager to see the Zero Punctuation review of this, Yahtzee loves Thief 1 and 2.

Yeah. But I have these new consoles. I want games to play on them.

I feel you, I'm in the same boat. I haven't used either of the new consoles for much in months and would love to have something compelling to play on them. That said, I don't think Thi4f is the game to break that. Next month we'll see much better games to play on them and that seems like it'll be the time to start playing the new consoles. If you have a capable PC, I'd buy it on PC for the better framerate and AA solutions. By all accounts, the framerate seems pretty inconsistent on the PS4One. Next month the new consoles will have awesome games to play.

Deadbeat

Banned
The goalposts keep moving. In one thread people told me that the dumbing down of game mechanics and the cinematic set pieces that Thief got needed to be done to appeal to a casual crowd and sell, but now that stuff doesn't count. It just doesn't end.

Why did Human revolution get by being a hardcore game and both sell well and get high praise? Because it was a good game that didn't chase the focus tester. Thief did. Thief is getting what it deserved.

The game does have a lot of issues, it really does. That said, there is no reason that you can't still enjoy it. I'm enjoying it when I get the opportunity to steal tons of things, but the story is bad, the context sensitive controls are dog-shit, and the constant loading of new areas, while not terrible on PC, are still more frequent than they should be on contemporary hardware.

Despite these issues I still enjoy this game, but of the the 3 that came before it, it's easily the worst in the franchise. I'd say it's far from Dudebro as you say, as I've played through it on Custom Master Difficulty and have yet to kill or knockout a single person and am at Chpt. 3. I've pretty much pickpocketed every person I've come across.

The way I play, it's far from Dudebro and I still think the game has issues regardless of that. I think if this game had come before Dishonored, I'd probably enjoy it more, but it hasn't and Dishonored is a better Thief than Thi4f is. But again, I do enjoy it even if it sounds like I don't. The art style is fantastic, the voice acting is actually pretty good, I really enjoy Garret's internal monologues and I thought I'd hate them. The atmosphere is pretty damn good too, it's just marred badly by the frequent, yet short load times between areas and in tranistions through windows. I think the biggest issue is that many people can see how and why this would be a great game if only if the devs. had made some very basic design decisions differently.

I don't think this proves that if Publishers decide to make games like this it's financial suicide. As by all accounts Dishonored was very successful. It goes to show, that when developers don't have a clear focus on what they are trying to accomplish, it can have very detrimental affects on a game. Thi4f feels like it was 10 pounds of ideas stuffed inside a 5 pound bag that has holes in it, and we are left with the game in the bag.

R0ckman

I'm enjoying master, I have a couple of assists on though because I simply don't have the time to explore anymore. My full free game time is going to run out come april when my son is born.

Sounds like dudebros should not be taken seriously in the gaming community. I honestly throw them in the casual crowd.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This isn't Thief. But it could be.

Why did Human revolution get by being a hardcore game and both sell well and get high praise? Because it was a good game that didn't chase the focus tester. Thief did. Thief is getting what it deserved.

For all its flaws, new Thief deserves better. It's not as good as Human Revolution, and it's not a proper successor to Dark Project/Metal Age, and the writing is terrible, but it is a perfectly solid stealth game. It has succeeded where many AAA games failed in catering to hardcore players, in that the custom difficulty settings enhance the experience rather than break the game. Were players able to disassociate the baggage of the franchise legacy from the game itself, I don't think we'd be seeing nearly as much hate. Do we want more from our stealth games? Should we call out the shortcomings of new Thief? Of course, but that doesn't invalidate the parts of gameplay the game does deliver on, which in my experience perfectly captures the essence of the Thief series, even if the levels are smaller and the controls redesigned for a modern audience. Are we so married to the past that we can't accept the realities of the present?

Despite these issues I still enjoy this game, but of the the 3 that came before it, it's easily the worst in the franchise.

I'd be interested to hear your perspective on how Deadly Shadows beats out new Thief. I feel like that one level of the former overshadows the mediocrity of the rest of it in everyone's minds, as though people can't remember the bland art design, simplistic levels, and terrible, terrible, font choice. From my perspective, new Thief took a lot of design cues from Deadly Shadows but at least added decent movement.

Wow the cutscene framerate is absolutely brutal at times, can't believe it's this bad. Playing the PS4 version btw, not sure if that matters since I heard all versions suffer from it.

R0ckman

And there is replay ability in this game despite what reviews say. Play through blind, play through to 100% treasure, ghost every level, change difficulties, fight enemies, be an opportunist. What do some of these reviewers want?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'd say it's far from Dudebro as you say, as I've played through it on Custom Master Difficulty and have yet to kill or knockout a single person and am at Chpt. 3. I've pretty much pickpocketed every person I've come across.

What I meant by people want Dudebro is that this game is not Dudebro.Thus it got slammed by the reviewers and justified publishers' views of creating big-budget contemplative games like this.

Game is currently $35 (+$5 shipping) on Amazon. Thinking of ordering it for Xbox One.

How does this game run on the Xbox One? How does this game play? Would you guys recommend it? I'm bored and need more games to play, and at $40 this looks like a decent purchase. :)

EDIT: Watched some video reviews for it in order to get some opinions and watch some gameplay. Never played a game like this... visually it looks like Dishonored, and the stealing looks likes Skyrim's stealing mechanics. Game looks... fun? Not amazing... but it seems like if enjoyed the gameplay itself, I'd like the game. Story looks awful, but the game... I don't know. It just looks entertaining. At $40, I'll bite. At worst, I hate it and will trade it in at BestBuy/Gamestop and use it towards Infamous or Titanfall. At worst, the game is probably worth at least the $10 to try it.

Any feedback you guys can give me though?

nynt9

Played this for about an hour before it became unbearable and I had to stop. The controls are awful, contextual controls misfire more often than not and swoop works inconsistently. The AI is probably the worst AI I've ever encountered in a stealth game (or any game really) and the horrible mouse smoothing on top of all that and the audio bugs with voices coming out of nowhere and sounds not matching up with cutscenes was just too much for me and I had to quit.

How are you guys able to play this game at all? I wanted to throw my keyboard across the room when Garrett went into cover when I wanted him to pick up an item the millionth time.

Played this for about an hour before it became unbearable and I had to stop. The controls are awful, contextual controls misfire more often than not and swoop works inconsistently. The AI is probably the worst AI I've ever encountered in a stealth game (or any game really) and the horrible mouse smoothing on top of all that and the audio bugs with voices coming out of nowhere and sounds not matching up with cutscenes was just too much for me and I had to quit.

How are you guys able to play this game at all? I wanted to throw my keyboard across the room when Garrett went into cover when I wanted him to pick up an item the millionth time.

The mouse feels fine to me, and I'm normally extremely picky about it.

You aren't playing with Vsync enabled, are you? It's notorious for fucking up mouse movement.

What I meant by people want Dudebro is that this game is not Dudebro.Thus it got slammed by the reviewers and justified publishers' views of creating big-budget contemplative games like this.

I think it got slammed by reviewers because it has a lot of issues, not because it isn't Dudebro enough. Again, Dishonored proved that you don't need to have tons of explosions and BANG BANG all the time to be successful, it gave you a ton of agency to play how you'd like and it reviewed just fine.

I've not noticed mouse smoothing at all. Everything else you've said I have noticed though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Secret Thi4f level(S) confirmed.

Multiple tabs can be a bitch sometimes.

This is what happens when a game takes too long to develop and goes through several iterations.

Tecl0n

I have to say i'm impressed, i mean it's not a great game but it is quite nice in its own mediocrity(LOLPLOT/CHARACTERS aside). Then again my expectations were quite low, considering i was expecting an Absolution like disaster.

UnrealEck

visually it looks like Dishonored

I'm not sure how it looks on the XB1, but on PC it looks considerably better than Dishonored. Gameplay wise though, it's lacking. Thief (the series) isn't really as action-oriented as Dishonored, but this game takes a step back as a Thief game. Partly because it's clearly designed for consoles moreso than PC, so the controls are stripped to the basics. The level design from what I've played is a bit boring and bland too. The environments can look quite nice but the design of them geometry wise as a play area is boring.

I can't really say I reccomend buying the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Played the first hour or so on PC. Master difficulty with none of the custom handicaps turned on. The game looks and runs nice on my computer, but it just feels really unpolished. I also had to turn off that ridiculous loot glitter immediately.

So far, I'm not sure what to think. I enjoyed the first chapter somewhat, but it seems a bit too hand-holdy so far. I hope they ease up on that in the later missions.

Jenga

Banned

truly, the andy kaufman of GAF

Top Bottom