• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

Smokey

Got it for PS4.

Never played a Thief before. What's the optimal setup to start. I've read to start on Master difficulty, but what about the other options.

justjim89

1024x575.resizedimage

My performance for the first mission. I was surprised to get opportunist and not ghost, but I did knock a dude out. Not exactly sure of the parameters. After about two hours of playing, I really do enjoy the feeling of this game. It's certainly rather rough around the edges I can tell already, but perhaps all the negative press helped to temper my expectations.

I'm playing on a custom Master difficulty setting, though most of the higher end toggles are still disabled, and I can still save anywhere. But no combat or flying takedowns, no harming civilians, no focus, and no aiming reticule. The game is certainly challenging enough thus far, I had some difficulty robbing the jeweler's basement without alerting him or knocking him out.

Performance-wise, it's running decent on low settings on my 2011 laptop. A bit framey in some spots, but I'm not complaining.

The writing already leaves a lot to be desired, particularly the dialogue. Voice acting has been alright, and I enjoy the new Garrett, to be honest. Perhaps he'll wear thin on me as the game goes on. I enjoyed how Erin seemed to serve as a commentary on more aggressive players, with Garrett all but rolling his eyes at her.

Is anyone else's Steam social settings acting up with this? None of my achievements or screenshots are showing up in my social timeline, and when I click on achievements from my library it takes me to my profile, which doesn't display me as having played the game at all. It seems like a bug to me. Any known way around it?

Is anyone else's Steam social settings acting up with this? None of my achievements or screenshots are showing up in my social timeline, and when I click on achievements from my library it takes me to my profile, which doesn't display me as having played the game at all. It seems like a bug to me. Any known way around it?

Having the same issue with the game not showing on my profile at all. It really sucks.

By the way, does anyone know if I have to do the takedown tutorial in my pacifist run?

justjim89

Having the same issue with the game not showing on my profile at all. It really sucks.

By the way, does anyone know if I have to do the takedown tutorial in my pacifist run?

I think the tutorial is a free zone where you can do a takedown. Don't quote me on that.

I'm having trouble figuring out if it's Steam being buggy or the game causing issues. I'm not seeing anything on my social feed since last night.

pretty sure you have to.

I turned on no knockouts allowed and I still had to do it.

I've been trying to play on master with the classic thief mods enabled.. I don't think I can do this with chapter save only lol

I'm finding that I can't do the swoop tutorial with my current settings. Has anyone noticed if swoop gets disabled with certain options? I'm assuming it's "slower movement speed" that disables it but I've been seeing some inconsistent behavior.

Croc

Banned
Something really fucked up with downloading the game for me.

I preloaded it a couple of days ago and it seemed good to go, but went to go play it today and it said it needed a small update. The update kept freezing and wouldn't give me a set amount of time or data, so I just let it go. Then like an hour or so later I get a pop up saying there was an error downloading it. I looked into it and apparently I had accidentally installed it on my SSD and the SSD was full, which shouldn't have been an issue. Somehow the game was taking up over 45 GB of space on my SSD...

Just had to delete it and am redownloading it now onto my HDD.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Holy god, that prologue ending cut scene... that frame rate, wow, woooooooow.
Which scene? Which version?

I just started the PC version and the entire prologue ending sequence was a pre-rendered movie file (which runs poorly as usual with bink files in UE3).

Hmm... just finished the prologue bit, and started Chapter 1.

Chapter 1's performance seems to be much better somehow. Also, playing the game in Fullscreen + Exclusive Fullscreen mode grants a consistently higher framerate. Makes the game a heck of a lot more playable with the same Low settings.

FHIZ

Which scene? Which version?

I just started the PC version and the entire prologue ending sequence was a pre-rendered movie file (which runs poorly as usual with bink files in UE3).

PS4, and yeah, that pre-rendered sequence, along with bits of the opening sequence in in Chapter 1. That slow down was at garbage levels. The actual game itself has seemed to run fine for me, but I don't know, I don't usually noticed slight frame rate drops here and there, but those two instances, hooooly shit.

And, different subject, did the pre-rendered assets in that prologue cut scene look way worse than the in game models, or was it just me?

Sectus

Do you get something for linking your Square Enix account to the game? I've tried to do so, but it fails to proceed after me inputing my email address.

Is there a way to turn off the white flashes and vignetting? I have the light gem and they're just intrusive. The flashes are particularly bad.

In general I'm decidedly "ehhh" on this so far, and that's playing it on Master difficulty level with another 500 points of handicaps on and 90% of the UI turned off.

Ricker

Has the PS4 version screen tearing?

No screen tearing but its very choppy in some area's...finished the first chapter and I am loving it though so far.

Do you get something for linking your Square Enix account to the game? I've tried to do so, but it fails to proceed after me inputing my email address.

Same, not working for me,not getting the supposed confirmation e-mail...

PS4, and yeah, that pre-rendered sequence, along with bits of the opening sequence in in Chapter 1. That slow down was at garbage levels. The actual game itself has seemed to run fine for me, but I don't know, I don't usually noticed slight frame rate drops here and there, but those two instances, hooooly shit.

And, different subject, did the pre-rendered assets in that prologue cut scene look way worse than the in game models, or was it just me?

Not just you,I mentionned it before this probably looks exactly like the PS3 version in some area's...

Moff

1024x575.resizedimage

My performance for the first mission. I was surprised to get opportunist and not ghost, but I did knock a dude out. Not exactly sure of the parameters.
after a few missions I have absolutely no idea what they mean
ghost probably means you leave absolutely no trace, meaning no one saw you, no knocked out people, maybe no loot taken either?

predator you get definitely for knocking out people, not only killing them, its pretty hard to kill people anyway, its only possible with the bow and some enviromental traps I think? you dont even have a sword in this game.

so what the hell is opportunist?

really confusing

oh and what I found out, I saw it on one of the loading screens: every mission has three thieving challenges, one for eacht play style, and you only get the one that was for your playstyle. so only one. and if you go for the ghost challenge but are rated as an opportunis, well then you get nothing.

Wag

Hey guys, I feel kind of dumb, I don't know if I hit a bug or what but I can't get past a part in the instructional level. I'm by a bridge over water, there's a guard on it, and guards on all sides. Obviously I'm supposed to cross through the water silently(?) but I can't figure out how. Any ideas?

Hey guys, I feel kind of dumb, I don't know if I hit a bug or what but I can't get past a part in the instructional level. I'm by a bridge over water, there's a guard on it, and guards on all sides. Obviously I'm supposed to cross through the water silently(?) but I can't figure out how. Any ideas?

Walk through the water, slowly. If you go too fast you'll make enough noise for them to hear you.

after a few missions I have absolutely no idea what they mean
ghost probably means you leave absolutely no trace, meaning no one saw you, no knocked out people, maybe no loot taken either?

predator you get definitely for knocking out people, not only killing them, its pretty hard to kill people anyway, its only possible with the bow and some enviromental traps I think? you dont even have a sword in this game.

so what the hell is opportunist?

really confusing

oh and what I found out, I saw it on one of the loading screens: every mission has three thieving challenges, one for eacht play style, and you only get the one that was for your playstyle. so only one. and if you go for the ghost challenge but are rated as an opportunis, well then you get nothing.

On Lockdown I got mainly Opportunist, and it said something about using the environment to your advantage...

DSmalls84

I'm really on the fence and haven't picked up my ps4 preorder yet. I really enjoy stealth games for the most part, but the performance issues and middle of the road reviews are putting me off.

Moff

On Lockdown I got mainly Opportunist, and it said something about using the environment to your advantage...

yes, thats the games definition of opportunist, but what does that mean, use the enviroment? I rarely use any enviroment but was mostly rated as an opportunist.

UnrealEck

I think Thief would have benefitted from being designed for the new consoles and PC. I think designing it for the old consoles has crippled the scale of the game. You see screenshots of the clock tower from above, looking over the city and you think what could have been. Instead it's really bland, boring level design with too much linearity and loading screens breaking up small segments.

I also wish they would stop naming stuff that way too. Thief. Tomb Raider. Those games already existed. Add a sub title or a number to the end ffs.

I think Thief would have benefitted from being designed for the new consoles and PC. I think designing it for the old consoles has crippled the scale of the game. You see screenshots of the clock tower from above, looking over the city and you think what could have been. Instead it's really bland, boring level design with too much linearity and loading screens breaking up small segments.

I also wish they would stop naming stuff that way too. Thief. Tomb Raider. Those games already existed. Add a sub title or a number to the end ffs.

Definitely agree, having a really complex hub area would have been a good balance between old Thief and a new direction. A large area with many different paths and thieving to do, and Chapters connect from there.

As well as a freaking jump button. I hope, if there's a sequel, these things will be considered and implemented. I think this is a nice place to start for a team that has no experience with the series. They mucked it up in some ways, but did do their best to make it feel like a Thief game.

gribbles

Banned
1024x575.resizedimage

My performance for the first mission. I was surprised to get opportunist and not ghost, but I did knock a dude out. Not exactly sure of the parameters. After about two hours of playing, I really do enjoy the feeling of this game. It's certainly rather rough around the edges I can tell already, but perhaps all the negative press helped to temper my expectations.

Apart from the knockout, you had 3 suspicions raised. Suspicions also count against you for ghost.

Playing the game on master with no focus, just finished the first level with no detection and I'm loving what I've played so far:

iiYOxgudjTm3a.jpg

I can't comment on the AI, I've had no issue with it on the master difficulty.

Gammacide

Just got it and completed through chapter 1 and I have to say I am loving it. Had one crash to PS4 desktop right as I entered the market area near the end of Chapter 1. Haven't noticed screen tearing or framerate issues at all except for the aforementioned cutscene in Chapter 1. When that started playing it reminded me of cutscenes from 1998 or so because the framerate was hideous. Maybe an homage to the older games? :p Anyway, I can definitely say that if you like the Thief games you will like this one. Surely you will find stuff to complain about, but most of it is minor when held up against the atmosphere you can really sink into.

When that started playing it reminded me of cutscenes from 1998 or so because the framerate was hideous. Maybe an homage to the older games? :p

Was it the cutscene at the end of the tutorial? Because that had a terrible framerate for me on PC too, I just thought it was encoded terribly.

Reading that Kotaku review, I'm at Chpt. 3 and I almost completely agree. A lot of the problems he had with it I do too, but oddly enough I still feel compelled to play it. I think I'll beat it and the play Dishonored for the 5th time.

Sectus

I thought the first couple chapters were a bit lackluster, but the game's starting to really to pick up now. The side quest with Vittori was a lot of fun. I'm almost done with the third chapter (House of Blossoms) and that's easily the best mission so far. That's not because there's
boobs
all over the place, but it's a mission which is very open and explorable. That is the primary thing I loved about Thief 1 and 2; the sense of exploration. Hopefully the game keeps up this current pace.

The bank mission wasn't bad either, but I hate that it's been put to the side as a pre-order bonus. It should have been part of the main game.

I've played nearly 8 hours and I'm still not that far in, so it's looking like it'll be a lenghty playthrough for me. I'm playing on master with "no focus" and "expensive resources" turned on. I kinda wish I had turned on even more stuff as the game is a bit too easy so far.

Gammacide

Was it the cutscene at the end of the tutorial? Because that had a terrible framerate for me on PC too, I just thought it was encoded terribly.
Yup. It sure was. And I bet you're right about the encoding. I don't think it would play correctly on anything. It's almost laughable. I got a chuckle at least. :)

The bank mission wasn't bad either, but I hate that it's been put to the side as a pre-order bonus. It should have been part of the main game.
I thought that too til I picked it up at Target today and the Bank Mission and "Bank Heist Steelbook Case" was included anyway. Weird. I'm not sure why they bother mentioning the Bank Heist mission as some sort of added bonus because everyone seems to get it.

I am loving the game, i have no idea why the hate. Its a fun game and whenever i get caught i immediately restart cause i do not wanna get caught. love that aspect. you dont have to go balls out with your guns like in Blacklist.

GravyButt

Got through five chapters and got to say im tapping out. I enjoyed the first two chapters but as each go on im getting insanely bored with it. I like most stealth games, but this ones not doing it for me. Im not saying its a bad game by anymeans, its just not for me I guess.

Wag

Walk through the water, slowly. If you go too fast you'll make enough noise for them to hear you.

Thx. Eventually I figured it out. It's kind of hard to walk through the water slow- when you have mouse and keys you only have 2 speeds.:)

justjim89

this game could be really great if it were not for the horrible horrible controls.

The game would have been a great game if it had a little more polish in pretty much every area.

But something tells me the powers that be were forcing the devs to basically push it out the door.

GravyButt

I really dislike having to push the climb or the lockpick button twice all the time. No clue why it does that most of the time.

Ps. I basically decide to hang the towel when I realized you could use that teleport speed scurry non stop to blaze through a level. Including most times right by multiple guards. Had such high hopes, that was my problem I think.

I really dislike having to push the climb or the lockpick button twice all the time. No clue why it does that most of the time.

Ps. I basically decide to hang the towel when I realized you could use that teleport speed scurry non stop to blaze through a level. Including most times right by multiple guards. Had such high hopes, that was my problem I think.

Thinking that the goal of a Thief game is just to get to the level exit is the definition of missing the point.

Hawk269

Got it for PS4.

Never played a Thief before. What's the optimal setup to start. I've read to start on Master difficulty, but what about the other options.

Why on earth would you get it on the PS4 with the PC Gaming Rig you have smokey? You can brute force the game to run great on the PC versus the slowdowns in the PS4 version.

Playing the game on master with no focus, just finished the first level with no detection and I'm loving what I've played so far:

iiYOxgudjTm3a.jpg

I can't comment on the AI, I've had no issue with it on the master difficulty.

You tried to leave no trace? These descriptors are incredibly unhelpful. I try to do a lot of things in stealth games.

Valkrai

Has anyone already played the Bank Heist map?

I need help getting the Eye of Auriden, can't seem to get the door open.

Moff

Has anyone already played the Bank Heist map?

I need help getting the Eye of Auriden, can't seem to get the door open.
which door? the one right in front of it?
there are 2 huge levers right next to the door

About to start my first game. I read an article that recommended custom settings to make this as close to the classic games as possible, but cannot remember the article, can anyone help me out?

Should I be playing with focus if I want a decent challenge?

Moff

Yeah but
One seems to reset when I try to reach the second lever.

hmm, ok, maybe thats what the plates on the ground do.
I disabled them, you can to that below the stairs, you ned the wrench and the cutter for that though
maybe there is a way around the plates

Valkrai

hmm, ok, maybe thats what the plates on the ground do.
I disabled them, you can to that below the stairs, you ned the wrench and the cutter for that though
maybe there is a way around the plates

I figured out that you can just climb up and go to the other side, drop down and get the lever.

Top Bottom