• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

Kamina

Golden Boy
you can check your challanges every time during your mission, and I can guarantee that yellow does not break the undetected challenge. I have done it many times and always checked if I still have the challenge.

you probably had a bird or a dog nearby that got alerted, this happened to me quite a lot, too, and you dont always notice it.
You know, that might be it. There was a dog barking at one point but i didn't see it go to red.

daman824

I am actually loving this game. Playing on master with waypoints turned off along with visual cues for lockpocking and other things. I gotta say, it's incredibly immersive and imo, the city and places you go all look great.

Of course, as others have said, there are some flaws that honestly make the game feel "oldschool" and not in a good way. Not a big deal, but cutscenes feel off. The characters movement during them and the overall way they are presented makes this seem like an xbox or ps2 game. It almost seems like they didn't use mo-cap or something.

Loading is incredibly annoying. Each loading screen is relatively short (9-10 seconds). but the game often never tells you wheb you are going to encounter one. The hub is split into 3 interlocking sections. And you need to load up a section each time you go into one. That would be "ok" if you knew when you were crossing over into a different section. Countless times i've accidentally opened a window thinking i was going into a house to loot only to be greeted by a loading screen which I then have to face again to get back to the section I just left. The very fact that you have to load so often on next gen consoles is slightly annoying. I understand it's due to last gen ram limitations. But it gets annoying being reminded that this is just a last gen port so often.

Combat absolutely sucks. I get that you're a thief and shouldn't be able to take on more than one person at a time (and even 1v1 should be hard). But it has to be one of the most tedious and unpolished things ever. You smash r1 (or the right bumper) as fast as you can until the enemy is about to take a swing, then you dodge. Rinse and repeat until you can do a finishing blow. I advise just loading a checkpoint everytime you get caught.

Visually it's good. I have the ps4 version and the filtering issue is definitely there. But not something that is harming the experience in any way. Ground textures just get blurry pretty quickly (especially when crouched and the offending texture is under a light). I was going to post pictures, but couldn't figure out the app. I have some though on my ps4 that I can send to anyone that wants to see them. Again though, the game still looks great overall mainly due to the art style. It's running in full 1080p though and most of the chugging is in cutscenes or transitioning between the city sections.

But like I said, the game is overall very fun when played in a stealth focused way. Game is slightly linear (but still plenty to explore). But it also has more locations to visit as opposed to something like dishonored. If you're suffering from te game drought and need something to hold you over, I'd say go for it. The saving grace is the art style and the immersion. The game can get quite suspensful and scouring te area for all the loot and hearing that little chime when you grab a valuable is incredibly addicting.

And holy fuck i'm at the asylum an it's definitely creepy. The original key hole got me good.

Chabbles

A little over 10 hours in and i cant get enough of this game, onto chapter 3 later. I really wasn't expecting this amount of content and city to explore, and that atmosphere, they nailed it.. still alittle pissed about the framerate though..

Now that cooler heads have prevailed is this game really that bad? The review a few posts up spoke about how cool the stealth was. Any other opinions about playing stealth?

Copy just arrived (PS4). Chose custom difficulty. What do people recommend turning off?

ps. is there no way of turning off the white light that spams the lateral areas of the screen when stepping into light in the game? It's very annoying,

15mins in and I'm already pissed off.

Why is Garrett stealing scissors? Why is there loot all over the fucking place? Why do I need an animation for every god damn thing?

Garrett has friends now? Grr.

SJRB

Gold Member
15mins in and I'm already pissed off.

Why is Garrett stealing scissors where is there loot all over the fucking place? Why do I need an animation for every god damn thing?

Because that's the style they're going for. If you're pissed off at the extensive animations after 15 minutes you might as well turn off the game because it'll never change.

Now that cooler heads have prevailed is this game really that bad? The review a few posts up spoke about how cool the stealth was. Any other opinions about playing stealth?

The game is decent-good. Great graphics and visual design, good sound, decent size (I'm 15 hours and still have two chapters to go), robust stealth. It could been better: the city hub is a confusing mess to navigate, there are too many loading areas, levels are bit too small, the setting was more interesting in past games, etc.

They way you phrase "opinions about playing stealth" is kind of funny, as if there was other options that wasn't playing stealth. The entire game is a pure stealth game, if you don't like that, the game isn't for you.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
well, you can see it as soon as the mission starts in the objectives screen, why would you want to see them before the mission starts?

So I can choose which playstyle to take, depending on the extra challenges offered? If I've been playing "opportunist" consistently, I will never see the challenges available if I play differently. It's really annoying.

The game is decent-good. Great graphics and visual design, good sound, decent size (I'm 15 hours and still have two chapters to go), robust stealth. It could been better: the city hub is a confusing mess to navigate, there are too many loading areas, levels are bit too small, the setting was more interesting in past games, etc.

They way you phrase "opinions about playing stealth" is kind of funny, as if there was other options that wasn't playing stealth. The entire game is a pure stealth game, if you don't like that, the game isn't for you.

Well some of the reviews trashed the game because you couldn't take on more than one person. IMO, if you're a thief and that happens you suck at being a thief. You shouldn't have any interaction with anyone other than pickpocketing so why did the score suffer because of that?

Because that's the style they're going for. If you're pissed off at the extensive animations after 15 minutes you might as well turn off the game because it'll never change.

It's an interesting design decision, for sure. The first time picking up an item in Thief was really jarring; the delay and physicality of Garrett actually reaching for the item was so incongruous with pretty much every other first-person game I've played, but I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly it started feeling natural. I'd say it actually adds to the immersion, in that the player feels exposed when looting and rifling through drawers in the way a real thief would.

It's an interesting design decision, for sure. The first time picking up an item in Thief was really jarring; the delay and physicality of Garrett actually reaching for the item was so incongruous with pretty much every other first-person game I've played, but I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly it started feeling natural. I'd say it actually adds to the immersion, in that the player feels exposed when looting and rifling through drawers in the way a real thief would.

It reminds me of having to manually grab weapons to get ammo in the original Crysis. It might bug some people, but to me it makes the game(s) seem even more immersive.

I really like it. I love that if you peer over a balcony he'll put his hand son it, if you push against a ledge without holding the trigger he'll crouch and put one hand forward. Maybe the worst offender is the mash to open window but generally I love all those little animations, it gives you a really good sense of place and existence in the world they've created, great stuff

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I understand the critique re lengthy animations, given how much loot there is in the game. You will be seeing those unskippable animations a lot during this game and I wish they'd been made a bit faster/shorter.

hawk2025

This game has anti-launch goggles.

At first I felt it was weak and stilted.
After a week, turning up the difficulty to Master and tweaking some settings, I'm having a fantastic time, being 7 hours in with only 3 chapters completed.

It's fun to play as a pure stealth game. I still have no idea what combat even looks like. There's always a way (at least so far) with care, patience, and exploration to get through any scenario (in different ways!) without alerting anyone, and always exploring the risk/reward of going for that one piece of additional loot that's under light, or picking a guard's pocket that you probably shouldn't.

Very fun. It has issues, quite a few in fact, but I'm having a great time so far. If it keeps up, it'll be a solid 4/5 or so.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
On the smuggler's map: eel's end there is a secret marked behind some water falling but there is nothing there when you actually go check. Saw some people on steam were confused by this too. Any of you know about this? Devs forget to add them?

Truant

Just did the brothel mission, and that definitely took a turn for the weird.

I saw some weird creature in the library, but there was no gameplay with them. They just appeared for a few moments. Do I get to see them again?

Edit: Another question regarding an earlier mission.

What was the deal with the mannequins in the factory mission? Maybe I missed some dialogue or a document somewhere. If it's explained later, you don't have to spoil it. Just let me know.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Just did the brothel mission, and that definitely took a turn for the weird.

I saw some weird creature in the library, but there was no gameplay with them. They just appeared for a few moments. Do I get to see them again?
You were in the ruins of an ancient civilization, not just a library. I do t yet know if you will see this creature again.

You were in the ruins of an ancient civilization, not just a library. I do t yet know if you will see this creature again.

That's one of the things that annoy me about the game -
It's not an "ancient civilization", it's the taffing Keepers that trained Garrett! Their sign is plastered all over the place but Garrett does not say anything about them.

Maybe I haven't gotten that far in the game (just started chapter 4) but it really bugs me that they threw away 3 games worth of lore in the reboot.

Moff

That's one of the things that annoy me about the game -
It's not an "ancient civilization", it's the taffing Keepers that trained Garrett! Their sign is plastered all over the place but Garrett does not say anything about them.

Maybe I haven't gotten that far in the game (just started chapter 4) but it really bugs me that they threw away 3 games worth of lore in the reboot.

its really odd, because there are definitively some hints at the previoues games,
the keeper symbol, a cathedral later in the game has the hammerite symbol, and some books mention the trickser. a guard dialog mentions the shalebridge fire.
it almost seems this thief plays hundreds of years later.

Yea, good vibes, real good vibes. I thought that was a fantastic chapter.

Definitely man. I started it pretty late last night so I had leave off when I was entering the
treatment wing
but christ, really good chapter. spotted all sorts of creepy things last night like
the woman walking round the corners, hearing footsteps and noises in the walls, a ball bouncing out of the lfit shaft. Pretty sure there were doors that closed behind me too.
Just another great move by the devs at mixing the pacing up a little, mixing the tone up a bit. I've loved stalking the city and the various shops and manors, but I think stuff like this and the
rooftop chase to and through the keep
shows they have chops. They have the skill to design other styles of gameplay as well as knowing when to give the story a bit of an injection of something else and mix up the player's expectations a little.

Really really dig this game. I haven't played the previous games ( although I do have deadly shadows on steam) so I can't speak to them or comparisons, but just as a game in it's own right, I really think this is a great game. I can't see why people who might like Metro or Bioshock or whatever wouldn't dig right into this. Real atmospheric first person adventure.

sertopico

For people who have completed Chapter 4:
How did you manage to collect all the loot in the part where Garrett has to cross those rooms filled with fire smoke? I have disabled every possible aid, including the faster movements, and I have sold all the rations to the smuggler before entering the Keep. Everytime I try to get into that room with the chest, time runs out and Garrett dies inevitably...

Guess I'll have to restart the level.

Definitely man. I started it pretty late last night so I had leave off when I was entering the
treatment wing
but christ, really good chapter. spotted all sorts of creepy things last night like
the woman walking round the corners, hearing footsteps and noises in the walls, a ball bouncing out of the lfit shaft. Pretty sure there were doors that closed behind me too.
Just another great move by the devs at mixing the pacing up a little, mixing the tone up a bit. I've loved stalking the city and the various shops and manors, but I think stuff like this and the
rooftop chase to and through the keep
shows they have chops. They have the skill to design other styles of gameplay as well as knowing when to give the story a bit of an injection of something else and mix up the player's expectations a little.

Really really dig this game. I haven't played the previous games ( although I do have deadly shadows on steam) so I can't speak to them or comparisons, but just as a game in it's own right, I really think this is a great game. I can't see why people who might like Metro or Bioshock or whatever wouldn't dig right into this. Real atmospheric first person adventure.

Most definitely, there were times in that chapter that I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. Sometimes frozen in place. Definitely a fantastic chapter and a great point in the game to mix up the pacing. The game has surprised me quite a bit.

wetwired

Well that was fucking great, I was on my way to the boat to go to the asylum, I loaded from one city hub area to another, the game proceeded to replay the cutscene from the start of the game where you're in the wooden cart being dragged by the beggers, "that's odd" I think I skip the cutscene and see it's taken me back to the Mission 1 - Takedown, no problem, I'll just reload my save files, nope, all save files have been overwritten with the takendown auto saves with the exception of 1, 2 missions ago before I even did the
architects house and rescued Basso
, really fucking annoyed now as the
rescue basso
mission wasn't fun in the slightest.

Sectus

its really odd, because there are definitively some hints at the previoues games,
the keeper symbol, a cathedral later in the game has the hammerite symbol, and some books mention the trickser. a guard dialog mentions the shalebridge fire.
it almost seems this thief plays hundreds of years later.

I think they just wanted to add references all over the place, even if it is a bit overdone. There's also
Basso and his bird being names of characters from Thief 2, a reference to Cragscleft, some guards talking about going to the bear garden (must be a reference to the bear pits conversation), one mention of taffer,
and other references.

Chabbles

Well that was fucking great, I was on my way to the boat to go to the asylum, I loaded from one city hub area to another, the game proceeded to replay the cutscene from the start of the game where you're in the wooden cart being dragged by the beggers, "that's odd" I think I skip the cutscene and see it's taken me back to the Mission 1 - Takedown, no problem, I'll just reload my save files, nope, all save files have been overwritten with the takendown auto saves with the exception of 1, 2 missions ago before I even did the
architects house and rescued Basso
, really fucking annoyed now as the
rescue basso
mission wasn't fun in the slightest.

I nearly done that yesterday too, restarting the first mission. The start point of "take down" is right next to one of the city hub connection/transition things where you move the planks of wood.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So does anyone know how you get the Gold souvenir in Ectors emporium? It's to the right of him in the glass stand.

I've completed the jobs for him which consisted of three. Do I need to come back at a later time for any more missions?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So does anyone know how you get the Gold souvenir in Ectors emporium? It's to the right of him in the glass stand.

I've completed the jobs for him which consisted of three. Do I need to come back at a later time for any more missions?

You need to
click the button on three obelisks in order (the one surrounded by four statues in the east of the main city map, then the one in front of the keep - this area won't open up to you until Chapter 5, then the one in the south of the main city map).

Tizoc

What
da
fuck
UE3?
2014-03-04_000014eskm.jpg

2014-03-04_00002iusk5.jpg

This game has some weird, weird audio bugs.

In Chapter 5,
I was killed by the steam monster (which seems a blatant Amnesia rip), and when the game respawned me
all the music/ambient sounds were turned off and didn't come back. I just quit the game, hopefully they'll return when I load my save.

Haha, I actually just figured this out. Just keep playing. The solution is going to be something you discover ambiently over the period of the game. If you want me just to spoil it, just ask again :)

Anung

Un Rama
Finished my custom master run the other day. Managed it in 7 hours and I was worried the last two levels would be super hard but they were pretty manageable

This game isn't half as bad as suggested. In fact apart from its technical shittery it has gradually won be over during my playthroughs. Garret isn't what I expected as a character and it I ended up liking him. Story was mostly pap though. I'd say its biggest fault is that it came out after Dishonored.

Hammer24

Banned
Its sad that the game is so inconsistent.
The side (client) missions are much more enjoyable than the main missions. Better story, better executed. And its way less tiresome in them, that the game doesn´t really give several options to proceed. It often feels like a corridor game, the sense of open exploration just isn´t there.
The most annoying little bugs for me are sound issues, when two NPC´s endlessly tell the same three sentences, often at the same time like a bad chorus.
And the auto-swoosh, when for some reason the game gets stuck in a way that Garret swooshes all the time, which only stops when reloading the last checkpoint.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Its sad that the game is so inconsistent.
The side (client) missions are much more enjoyable than the main missions. Better story, better executed. And its way less tiresome in them, that the game doesn´t really give several options to proceed. It often feels like a corridor game, the sense of open exploration just isn´t there.
The most annoying little bugs for me are sound issues, when two NPC´s endlessly tell the same three sentences, often at the same time like a bad chorus.
And the auto-swoosh, when for some reason the game gets stuck in a way that Garret swooshes all the time, which only stops when reloading the last checkpoint.

Are you on Xbox One?

Double D

I've never played the old Thief games, but so far this game has been pretty great. Got through Chapter 5 last night and that was pretty intense. Also, I hadn't talked to Basso to get any sidemissions until right before Chapter 5, so I did that and got like 14 sidequests. I didn't even know sidequests like this existed.

Anyways, I got sidetracked doing that stuff, and as simple as it all is, I really enjoy all of it. Also getting a better idea of how the city's layout and finding traversal much more enjoyable. I've kind of become a straight up murderer when it comes to the city guards. Nearly all of them have an arrow through the head.

I've played for nearly 30 hours now and am on Chapter 7 and still have 15+ side missions to do (that is if you can return to the city once you beat the game).

If you'd told me that I would get that much playtime out of this game before it released, I would've thought you were crazy!

In comparison, I played Deus Ex: HR for 28 hours and Dishonored for 14½ and did most, if not all of the side missions in those games.

Top Bottom