• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

ev0

Going through the game, currently on Chapter 7. It's flawed, but I'm enjoying it.

I'm sort of a Trophy guy, but the Finders Keepers trophy (find every secret area) is absolutely ridiculous based on the complete lack of feedback on this in the game stat tracking wise (aside from the little violin chime to let you know you're in one).

Then I discover you can track how many secret areas you've found (but still not how many there are in total, or which ones you've been to) in the mobile/tablet Companion app, but Square dares to charge you $3 for something that most games include in the damn game. Yeesh.

On the topic of the game, I do hope it at least does well enough to give these guys a shot at making at least one more.

Angry Fork

Is there a legend for the map or a way to tell you what the icons and side street names are? It kind of sucks when you read in a note there's some treasure in ______ street but I have no idea where that is. How are you supposed to navigate to that except by just randomly going around the entire area and hoping you come across the street?

SJRB

Gold Member
This game is REALLY unpolished at parts, good lord. The city lacks any form of guidance in term of where you are and where the "portals" to the other zones are. Just now I was completely stuck because I couldn't find the obligatory portal exit of one section, turns out I had to shimmy in between some crates and push aside a beam. The layout is a mess because of how counter-intuitive everything is. It adds to the atmosphere for sure, but it's not very user friendly.

Also running into some massive pathfinding/scripting issues. One of Basso's thefts brought me to a doctor's office. The doctor is standing in his room and does literally nothing but walk back and forth between three points while rattling his two lines of dialogue non stop. The worst part is that the three points are closer together than it takes the walk animation to finish, so everytime he stops he does the weird "walk animation while standing" you often see in similarly poorly scripted games like Skyrim. It made the theft extremely difficult because it was nothing more than a cheap AI exploit. Didn't help that the guards could spot me through a closed door either.

Also guards who patrol in pairs having identical movesets, it's like they're mirror images. The two guards behind the clocktower have an absurd amount of difficulty navigating a street, their models keep "spazzing out".

On top of that the bizarre audio situational awareness glitches. The most prominent example is Basso coming out of the left speaker only even though you're right in front of him. People behind walls sound like they're right behind you, people sound like they're left of you but they're actually right, all sorts of nonsense.

It's pretty messy. Also, if I run into one more theft mission where the only way in is via a 600g rope arrow while the loot is worth 100g max I will wait in my SUV. Blast me some speed metal, 5.1 surround sound, HEAVY on the bass... And someone will be getting mowed down.

justjim89

Just passed the 21 hour mark as I reached the beginning of Chapter 5. Spent way longer than I thought I would on the Pawn Shop sidequest.

1. Because finding it is a pain in the ass because it didn't have a street entrance.

2. I was one piece of loot short of getting everything and couldn't find it after an hour and a half of searching high and low.

I enjoyed the side mission, but if I'm going to start outside the pawn shop anyway, why not have a street entrance? The context sensitive climbing and rope arrows can occasionally make vertical traversal a real pain in the ass if you don't see the one spot they intend for you to use. Not being able to find the last piece of loot is probably going to bug me all week, I have no idea where it could have been.

I know the story is forgettable at best and terrible at worst, but I'm really enjoying Garrett and Basso's friendship and the scenes with them. Both are enjoyable characters and quite well-acted. New Garrett is really great. If this does well enough to warrant another game, they need to leave Garrett and Basso as is and simply improve the story around them.

I've decided I'm gonna just get this game instead of holding back any longer. Is the ps4 version better like most cross platform games? (I actually want something new on my xbone if possible)

Sectus

I've decided I'm gonna just get this game instead of holding back any longer. Is the ps4 version better like most cross platform games? (I actually want something new on my xbone if possible)

PS4: Slightly better framerate and slightly higher resolution.
Xbone: Better texture filtering.
PC: Better everything.

That's a basic summary.

PS4: Slightly better framerate and slightly higher resolution.
Xbone: Better texture filtering.
PC: Better everything.

That's a basic summary.

Nah PC is worst, costs more money than a console for slightly better graphics if at all. More annoying players on MP pc games anyways.

justjim89

Nah PC is worst, costs more money than a console for slightly better graphics if at all. More annoying players on MP pc games anyways.

Let's not turn this into a consoles vs. PC debate. What he meant I'm sure was that for this game
(and most games, really)
the PC version looks and performs the best, if you have access to a gaming PC.

Let's not turn this into a consoles vs. PC debate. What he meant I'm sure was that for this game
(and most games, really)
the PC version looks and performs the best, if you have access to a gaming PC.

I do but I want it on console which is why I asked which console version, thats all. I love my PC for mmos.

Sectus

I didn't mean to sound all "Pfft, console peasants!". PC ports are usually superior, but I think the difference is especially significant here since the game isn't very demanding, so while the console versions all struggle to keep 30fps the PC version can easily meet 60fps. But it is a moot point if you don't have a gaming PC.

Deadbeat

Banned
I think its just a shit port on all platforms but due to the magic of Nixxes they fixed the PC version up nice and spiffy. Its what it sounds like.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Question, can I sell my preorder TF2 items for this game after enough time? Was able to do it with the "Genuine" Infinite items.... I already sold my DOTA2 item for $4.90. So what gives with TF2?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Man, the constant loading screens in the city are killing this game for me. Makes me dread moving around, something that should be a joy in this game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I finished the main story. Are there multiple endings? Because the one I got made absolutely zero sense to me. Honestly, I strongly disliked the entire story, which is a damn shame, because the atmosphere of the city was great.

Overall, my final verdict is that this game is just decent. It has awesome art direction and I really enjoyed just seeing all of the environments, but the actual story missions were pretty lame for the most part outside of a few. Too much forced path, stuff and call of duty-style set pieces. I felt like all of that really didn't belong in the game and I vastly enjoyed roaming around the city and doing the side missions.

I may go back and try the challenge mode, but I think I'm done with this game. What a strange ride. Overall, I leave a bit disappointed and wondering how the game would have turned out if it didn't find itself in development hell and had a more cohesive vision and time for a good polishing before release. Hopefully Eidos Montreal gets another chance at this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Question, can I sell my preorder TF2 items for this game after enough time? Was able to do it with the "Genuine" Infinite items.... I already sold my DOTA2 item for $4.90. So what gives with TF2?

Yes. The Dota 2 item being marketable sooner than the TF2 items was likely a mistake as there's always been a few-day "cooldown period" post-release before promo items are made marketable.

Haunted

This game is very slow and can feel pretty tedious in parts. I don't think it's my kind of game these days.

Man, the constant loading screens in the city are killing this game for me. Makes me dread moving around, something that should be a joy in this game.
And it's not like the city areas are particularly huge or fantastically detailed. Seems completely possible to be one big area without loading. This isn't a Source game, this shouldn't be necessary.

Moff

finished it after 25 hours
the last 2 missions were not good sadly, felt very rushed, especially compared to the great mission 6.

all in all, as a fan of the franchise since dark project, I felt satisfied, its a mixed experience, as expected, with many linear passages and overall too narrow levels, but at the same time offered a lot of what I expect, want and need to have in a thief game.
it had several good levels, all in all felt "right", stealth mechanics are spot on and fun.
tons of enjoyable side content, I didnt feel bored or annoyed for a single minute.

I'd take another sequel like this.

Is there any way to get the bank heist mission on steam now? I really like the long missions and it sounds right up my alley but there doesn't seem to be a way to buy it :(

Sectus

Is there any way to get the bank heist mission on steam now? I really like the long missions and it sounds right up my alley but there doesn't seem to be a way to buy it :(

Bank Heist mission is still available. It's not a pre-order bonus, but rather a limited time bonus. I'm sure they'll make it DLC after that.

My PC version has been crashing rather consistently every 45-60 minutes of play time, and now the game won't boot after I press "Play" on the pop-up screen. I just get a black screen and have to ALT + CTRL + Del my way out to kill the game.

Anyone having similiar issues? Running AMD card here.

Double D

Bank Heist mission is still available. It's not a pre-order bonus, but rather a limited time bonus. I'm sure they'll make it DLC after that.

Does this apply if you bought a steam key from somewhere else? I'm not at home to check my game but I don't recall seeing anything. Is it right in the main menu?

Axial

Despite how unpolished the game feels in some places, I'm realy enjoying the atmosphere and gameplay.
But then again there are occasional bullshit moments like this:
239160_2014-03-03_000qkewl.png

I'm trying to ghost the whole game but I wonder on what basis the ratings are calculated.
I wasn't detected, I didn't raise any alarms, haven't even knocked out anyone and yet I still missed the ghost rating. Can anyone explain how this is possible?

Moff

ghost is the standard
any interaction with the enviroment, like putting out lights, gives you opportunist ratings
knocking out or killing people gives predator ratings

not sure about looting and leaving doors open

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Despite how unpolished the game feels in some places, I'm realy enjoying the atmosphere and gameplay.
239160_2014-03-03_000qkewl.png

I'm trying to ghost the whole game but I wonder on what basis the ratings are calculated.
I wasn't detected, I didn't raise any alarms, haven't even knocked out anyone and yet I still missed the ghost rating. Can anyone explain how this is possible?

It shouldn't be. Did you use any environmental assists? (e.g., shooting down a box to get to a higher level.)

I agree that the lack of information as to how the ratings are calculated is a real issue. Also it would be nice to see the various bonuses before starting the mission for each of the three various play styles.

Moff

Also it would be nice to see the various bonuses before starting the mission for each of the three various play styles.

well, you can see it as soon as the mission starts in the objectives screen, why would you want to see them before the mission starts?

Anung

Un Rama
I'm playing on Custom master difficulty (710pts) with upgrades turned off, movement speed reduced, no reticle, things are more expensive, no focus, and hurting people/animals or raising the alarm is a game over.

Got to mission 7 in 5 hours. Its actually reasonably easy. Its that animals that seem to catch me out most of the time. I've had a few moments of frustration. But being forced to play Ghost is actually fun.

belvedere

Junior Butler

Glad to hear it's not just me. I've done multiple missions without being detected (I believe one I knocked out a guard or two), but never achieved ghost.

Axial

ghost is the standard
any interaction with the enviroment, like putting out lights...
Fuuuuck, that must be it, at the very end of the level while leaving the underground ruins I used a water arrow on a torch to get passed a guard...
I didn't even knew that blowing out lights counts towards that rating, what a bummer, now I have to restart the mission.

Moff

Fuuuuck, that must be it, at the very end of the level while leaving the underground ruins I used a water arrow on a torch to get passed a guard...
I didn't even knew that blowing out lights counts towards that rating, what a bummer, now I have to restart the mission.

one single light shouldnt give you that much opportunist points though. must be something else then.

apart from that, there are absolutely no consequences from your rating, apart from the bonus objective (you only get the one from your playstyle, but in this case you got the opportunist reward anyway)

I got my copy from the AMD never settle bundle and it didn't give me it even though I redeemed on steam pre release. Does it only show up in game after a certain point?

I enjoyed the side mission, but if I'm going to start outside the pawn shop anyway, why not have a street entrance? The context sensitive climbing and rope arrows can occasionally make vertical traversal a real pain in the ass if you don't see the one spot they intend for you to use. Not being able to find the last piece of loot is probably going to bug me all week, I have no idea where it could have been.
Oh my God, this is exactly my experience of the pawn shop, right down to the missing piece of loot.

Axial

one single light shouldnt give you that much opportunist points though. must be something else then.
Thankfully I had a save file before that one point in the mission but not blowing out the torch didn't change the rating afterall. I searched a bit and found some guys youtube video with a walkthrough of that mission and he mentioned that you can't pick pocket nor turn off any lights in order to get the ghost rating, which is strange because I ghosted the previous missions while doing all the above things.
apart from that, there are absolutely no consequences from your rating, apart from the bonus objective (you only get the one from your playstyle, but in this case you got the opportunist reward anyway)
You're right, I thought there was supposed to be an achievement for ghosting the whole game, but just checked the list and there isn't one.

Moff

Thankfully I had a save file before that one point in the mission but not blowing out the torch didn't change the rating afterall. I searched a bit and found some guys youtube video with a walkthrough of that mission and he mentioned that you can't pick pocket nor turn off any lights in order to get the ghost rating, which is strange because I ghosted the previous missions while doing all the above things.
depends on how many times you did it, youll still get ghost if you only do it a few times

You're right, I thought there was supposed to be an achievement for ghosting the whole game, but just checked the list and there isn't one.

thats right, the only playstyle achievement you get is one for not knocking out or killing anyone ever.
I'm not really an achievment guy, but I feel there should have been several different ones, or even better some kind of an ingame recognition of it.
there should have been an achievement for never being seen, and I really dont like how the game doesnt care if you kill or knock out, it really never makes a difference. I think there should have been something.

Sectus

Does this apply if you bought a steam key from somewhere else? I'm not at home to check my game but I don't recall seeing anything. Is it right in the main menu?

I bought the game from gamersgate and I got the bank heist mission.

The mission isn't accessible from the main menu, it's integrated into the game. I think it becomes available as a side mission after you do chapter 1.

Just did the
escape from the architects manor/break into the prison cells in the keep
section, really liked that. Really a change of pace from the usual gameplay. Some might say oh that's very
uncharted/COD
and not Thief but when used sparingly to punctuate something in the plot, I really like a sequence like that.

Valkrai

So just got to the
Asylum level and holy shit I got scared like a bitch. I didn't expect anything like that, best in the game I have to say.

This game's level design continues to impress me. Sure, it isn't all sandbox-y like the original games or even the Hitman franchise pre-Absolution, but although you're moving from one waypoint to the next in an admittedly linear fashion there are often multiple paths to take in order to reach those waypoints. Just last night, for example, I was playing the beginning of Chapter 4 in which you have to infiltrate a several-story house. When I reached the house, although the next waypoint was inside the house itself there were multiple ways to get inside. I could sneak through the front door, knock down a ladder with an arrow to sneak through a second-story window, or even
activate a hidden rotating wall in a greenhouse to come up through the basement
! Thanks to all of these possibilities, the levels can seem quite non-linear despite the linear nature of the waypoints themselves. What I find helps the levels seem even bigger and less linear is to go into the Options menu and disable waypoints entirely. I've assigned the mini-map to one of my thumb buttons so that if I ever become lost or need to know where the next waypoint is, I can see it that way. Even then, however, the mini-map only gives you the waypoint's location on a top-down map so you still have to search for it, especially if you're in a several story structure and don't know which story the waypoint is located on.

Isn't the "Child of the Shadows" achievement effectively one for ghosting? The in-game definition for ghost seems to be different from the achievement, but it still requires you to prevent any guard from seeing you (red eye indicator).

Isn't the "Child of the Shadows" achievement effectively one for ghosting? The in-game definition for ghost seems to be different from the achievement, but it still requires you to prevent any guard from seeing you (red eye indicator).

One thing that still isn't clear to me and that few, if any people can seem to explain is exactly what "breaks" the Ghost rating in terms of being spotted by guards.

Obviously it's OK if the eyeball icon doesn't fill up, but what if it becomes full (with the three dots above it) and they begin to investigate? Is that considered no longer being a Ghost? There's also the yellow icon, which means they're fully alert but not yet aware of the player's location. Is that the one that breaks the rating? Then of course there's the red eyeball you mentioned in which case they're in pursuit of or in combat with you, meaning you've done goofed big time and there's no longer any chance of getting Ghost.

Moff

yes, but its only for one mission, not the whole game
alerting is not really the very same thing as beeing seen though, you can have several alerts but still get the ghost thieving challenge

One thing that still isn't clear to me and that few, if any people can seem to explain is exactly what "breaks" the Ghost rating in terms of being spotted by guards.

Obviously it's OK if the eyeball icon doesn't fill up, but what if it becomes full (with the three dots above it) and they begin to investigate? Have you then been caught? There's also the yellow icon, which means they're fully alert but not yet aware of the player's location. Is that the one that breaks the rating? Obviously there's also the red icon you mentioned in which case they're either in pursuit of or in combat with you, meaning you've done goofed big time and there's no longer any chance of getting Ghost.

red breaks the ghost thieving challenge
yellow is fine, as long as they dont actually see you

red breaks the ghost rating
yellow is fine, as long as they dont actually see you

Wow, I didn't know that! I'd been reloading saves even if it just got to the point of being full (but not yellow), causing them to come investigate.

Do you know if it's also OK to throw glass bottles to lure them away, or would that give you Opportunist points? I've been trying to interact with the environment and people as little as possible (turning out lights, even pick-pocketing) but the rating system is so unclear I'm still not quite sure what I can and can't do when trying to obtain Ghost ratings.

Moff

Wow, I didn't know that! I'd been reloading saves even if it just got to the point of being full (but not yellow), causing them to come investigate.

Do you know if it's also OK to throw glass bottles to lure them away, or would that give you Opportunist points? I've been trying to interact with the environment and people as little as possible (turning out lights, even pick-pocketing) but the rating system is so unclear I'm still not quite sure what I can and can't do when trying to obtain Ghost ratings.

I'm sorry I edited my post to specify what I meant.
I meant the ghost thieving challenge (which is the same in every mission, dont get spotted)
this "breaks" only if you get actually seen

I dont know if you get ghost rating points for yellow guards

Kamina

Golden Boy
I dont know if you get ghost rating points for yellow guards
Yesterday I did a sidemission and tried ghosting only. At the end of the result screen said Failed at remaining undetected. However the enemy awareness was only yellow at one point, never red.

Moff

Yesterday I did a sidemission and tried ghosting only. At the end of the result screen ot said Failed at remaining undetected. However the enemy awareness was only yellow at one point, never red.
you can check your challanges every time during your mission, and I can guarantee that yellow does not break the undetected challenge. I have done it many times and always checked if I still have the challenge.

you probably had a bird or a dog nearby that got alerted, this happened to me quite a lot, too, and you dont always notice it.

Top Bottom