• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

Damn, the city really is big, once all it's districts are open. Between chapter 6 and 7, and just opened up another area. I figured by this point it wouldn't be very big but uh, creeping around the roof tops and seeing all sorts of stuff to do. Real crazy.

Tizoc

When is the best time to do the Bank Heist bonus mission? I'm at Chapter 3 and am about to attempt to finish as many of Basso's missions as possible before progressing.

When is the best time to do the Bank Heist bonus mission? I'm at Chapter 3 and am about to attempt to finish as many of Basso's missions as possible before progressing.

Once you have all the tools acquired you should take the mission. The wrench for opening vents, wire cutters for disarming traps and the knife to cut out paintings.

Haha. Dat ending. Thematic...I guess. Well, I really really enjoyed the game, fantastic stuff. One of the best gameplay experiences I've had in awhile. I could honestly see myself going back through moving up from vaniila master to master custom, or even playing it on regular, to actually experience what the game is like when you do have the option of fighting a guy, or you actually have enough arrows to use tactics like putting out the lights with water arrows etc more often. Really hope these guys get another crack at it down the road.

Just finished my Custom playthrough, which I'm calling my Swoop playthrough because that's all I did. 34 on the PS4 leaderboard. Also fuck this game and all it stands for.

I'm still not sure how I beat Chapter 3, and going into the first boss with no arrows is hell. This game made me hate birds, and guards, and lightning, and the Sun.
I'm getting this plat and never playing again. I'd rather play Dishonored.

squadr0n

how do i go buy arrows and stuff lol. im in the second mission i think and im a point where i need arrows but i was never told where to go to buy them lol. Where do i go?

And how can i get them mid mission 2

Sectus

how do i go buy arrows and stuff lol. im in the second mission i think and im a point where i need arrows but i was never told where to go to buy them lol. Where do i go?

And how can i get them mid mission 2

There's a merchant in the Burrick tavern (same place you met Basso).

Spoo

I enjoyed this mostly (played on PC on a new rig, so max settings was a delight). Last 2 level were bad, but the rest of the game was good fun. For experienced stealthers, play on "Master" difficulty setting for (pretty) good results.

It still bugs me that AI periphery is like 180 degrees. Not quite right.

PirateKing

Just finished the game. One of the worst ending in the history of video games! was really enjoying the game till the ending. I'm still confused and don't know what the hell just happened lol

I'm about halfway through and I think its a great change of pace game. I just finished NFS Rivals and this provides a nice, quiet escape before I dive into Infamous SS in two weeks time. The visuals are nice, the setting is amazing, the story is decent and the mechanics are serviceable. Combat feels clunky but that's a good thing for a stealth game. There are definitely a few rough edges around loading times, voice acting and UI. Its no GOTY contender but I think its a very solid game that happens to be very likeable.

JJD

Any word on a patch for this game on consoles? I'm playing on the PS4.

Overall I'm really liking the game. Never played the older Thief games, but I loved Dishonored and DE: Human Revolution so I knew I would like this one.

Problem is the game is too rough around the edges. It's obvious that it needed more time in the oven. I'm getting all kinds of bugs. Gameplay bugs, sound bugs and performance seems really uneven.

I'm not hopeful for any patch improving (or at least stabilizing performance) but getting rid of gameplay and sound bugs would be great.

I just started mission 2, but I did all the side quests available until now. Overall I didn't play that much.

I'm thinking of holding out until they start fixing things and just restarting the game later.

Just finished the game. One of the worst ending in the history of video games! was really enjoying the game till the ending. I'm still confused and don't know what the hell just happened lol

Nothing. Literally nothing happened haha. I think they were going for some sort of ambiguous thematic thing to cover up that it really is, effectively nothing.

Wow this game's performance blows on PC...

Damn, what rig are you running it on? I ran the whole game lock solid 1080/60 with only SSAA off, everything else up full.

Hyphen

In my custom playthrough, I currently have the No Upgrades option on, which means "All non-critical tools, gear upgrades and trinkets are disabled". Does this count towards the Claw? Because I noticed that certain plaques and grates around the city can't be removed without an upgrade (I assume to the Claw to make it a wrench, or am I missing something?).

In my custom playthrough, I currently have the No Upgrades option on, which means "All non-critical tools, gear upgrades and trinkets are disabled". Does this count towards the Claw? Because I noticed that certain plaques and grates around the city can't be removed without an upgrade (I assume to the Claw to make it a wrench?).

The wrench is a separate purchasable item to the claw man. So you would still have the claw for traversal, and it looks like Moff below knows when you can purchase the wrench or not on that setting :).

Moff

the wrench can be bought with the no upgrade custom option

and the claw is part of your toolset at the start of the game, so you'll always have it

Hyphen

doniewhalberg said:
The wrench is a separate purchasable item to the claw man. So you would still have the claw for traversal, and it looks like Moff below knows when you can purchase the wrench or not on that setting :).

Moff said:
the wrench can be bought with the no upgrade custom option

and the claw is part of your toolset at the start of the game, so you'll always have it

Understood, thanks guys!

This game has some weird, weird audio bugs.

In Chapter 5,
I was killed by the steam monster (which seems a blatant Amnesia rip), and when the game respawned me
all the music/ambient sounds were turned off and didn't come back. I just quit the game, hopefully they'll return when I load my save.
Just got the reverse of this one. End of Chapter 6, all sound effects disappeared, so
I didn't hear whatever it was the General said to me
, and even after this sequence Garrett's voice was completely drowned out by the music. What in the world.

Eusis

Damn what a terrible last boss. Out of nowhere compared to the whole game setting.
I hope this is a puzzle encounter thing rather than a proper boss fight, else this probably highlights everything that went wrong with the design process.

pelican

Finding it hard to enjoy this.

Completed chapter 2 a few nights ago, and I've been doing the Basso missions. The problem for me is the city hub design is awful. Exploring, and navigating the city isn't intuitive. It would be different if ti was truly open world, but I don't think it works due to the being "instanced" into little blocks.

SJRB

Gold Member
Fuck those rotating stairs and that entire segment. House of Blossoms was a total letdown. Also very glad I was using headphones, because some of the stuff that happens is just.. Let's keep it at "unnecessary".

I don't know guys, my interest in this game is crashing pretty hard. The main missions are pretty boring, the rewards for theft are always poor, the story so far is basically non-existant and there's just a complete lack of polish. And the loading screens are driving me insane.

I do find I get bored and quit more often than I hoped I would. Pushing on through to Chapter 7, though. The first half of Chapter 6 was a really solid Thief mission.

I'm still undecided on this.

I fooking love T1/2/3 and also the Thievery mod for UT. Have that butchered the Thief name, or is it still basically the same ?

I do find I get bored and quit more often than I hoped I would. Pushing on through to Chapter 7, though. The first half of Chapter 6 was a really solid Thief mission.

You're pretty much done man. Chapters 7 & 8 is a big big mega finale chapter really, run into each other. You get a point of no return warning entering chpt 7.

Moff

I fooking love T1/2/3 and also the Thievery mod for UT. Have that butchered the Thief name, or is it still basically the same ?

its the worst thief
there is some thief in it, mostly on a small scale, but there is also a lot of linear stuff.
I'd say at least try it on a steam sale

I haven't played the old thief games ( super interested in doing so now though), but from the sounds of it, you probably don't want to play it to fulfill your thief urge. As a fan of games like Bioshock or Metro (or yes, dishonored), I think it's a really good game that can easily give you that kind of satisfaction.

Juzie

Neo Member

This is basically the Thief version of the Tomb Raider reboot. Linear level design but disguised as an open world because you can travel (on a straight path) back through the levels and the mission objectives are basically get to point B to complete the mission with a couple variations of uncharted style platforming and sprinting and jumping over obstacles to escape enemies. While both TR:Reboot and Thief:reboot had their moments that they felt like a thief game, for a big part of it you will feel like you are playing a different (more streamlined) series. The core stealth mechanics are basically the same, everything else is a streamlined cinematic stealth game.

It's not a bad game (all though it is the worst thief) but depending on how much you are hoping for it to be like the old games, you will be very disappointed.

its the worst thief

It's not a bad game (all though it is the worst thief)

I still don't get the argument that it's worse than Deadly Shadows. The levels are comparable in size and linearity, but the movement is much better and the city hub has much more to do. Granted I've only played up to Chapter 3, but 27 hours in, I've put in enough time into the Bank Heist and other side jobs to be much more impressed with new Thief than I ever was with DS.

Moff

I really liked deadly shadows, but I'd have to replay it. I havent since its release.
As i remember it, its levels were much bigger and much less linear than most of newthiefs

nynt9

I still don't get the argument that it's worse than Deadly Shadows. The levels are comparable in size and linearity, but the movement is much better and the city hub has much more to do. Granted I've only played up to Chapter 3, but 27 hours in, I've put in enough time into the Bank Heist and other side jobs to be much more impressed with new Thief than I ever was with DS.

Movement is much worse! In DS you could scale almost any wall with an item, you could move around objects in the world, areas were a lot more open and traversing the city wasn't a huge pain. Sure, the game wasn't great, but it was actually fun to play and they tried to make it like the previous Thief games unlike this one.

I really liked deadly shadows, but I'd have to replay it. I havent since its release.
As i remember it, its levels were much bigger and much less linear than most of newthiefs

Movement is much worse! In DS you could scale almost any wall with an item, you could move around objects in the world, areas were a lot more open and traversing the city wasn't a huge pain. Sure, the game wasn't great, but it was actually fun to play and they tried to make it like the previous Thief games unlike this one.

Having recently replayed DS leading up to new Thief's release, I can definitely say that, on the whole, the levels are not bigger or more open. It has some good missions like the first Hammerite and Pagan missions, but House of the Widow Moira and The Sunken Citadel are fairly cramped, straightforward affairs. I'm not saying the game is bad, just that I don't think it did anything better than new Thief.

Got an update cued on steam for Thief. I didn't encounter alot of the smaller bugs people seemed to find in this, but they REALLY need to fix the audio asap, if they can.

PAtch notes from the eidos forums:

- Fixed an issue where, for some users, controller right stick would not turn the camera and controller hints would not appear.
- Fixed an issue where, for some users, the keyboard mapping menu would immediately map a key and then hang.
- Fixed an issue with the fog when SSAA was enabled that was introduced in v1.1.
- Fixed a crash when the user had 99 saves and tried to access the save menu in game.
- Added an option to the launcher configuration dialog to run the 32-bit version on a 64-bit machine. The 32-bit version has several features disabled causing it to use less memory, providing a smoother experience for users with lower spec machines. The checkbox for this option can be found in the display tab of the launcher options dialogue.
- Update: Deploy additional DLLs with the game to avoid issues with corrupt DLLs on user machines, which could cause the game to not start at all.
- Update: Moved Lockpick and Frame Search helper to the HUD menu and will now also affect mouse/keyboard.
WARNING: Disabling Frame Search helper while playing with mouse/keyboard could make it very hard, if not impossible, to find the button.
- Various performance improvements.
- Various crash fixes.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Perhaps it's due to my low expectations, but I'm enjoying this a few chapters in. It's mostly average but games like this are pretty rare these days, plus I like the moody atmosphere and it looks nice on PS4. Games like this are the reason I'm glad the new consoles can play second hand games, it's a perfect weekend rental.

The more I play this this game, the less I understand the reviews. It's not perfect by any means, but it's a game that succeeds in spite of its flaws rather than being defined by them. It really delivers on the sense of sneaking around the darkened fringes of an inhabited space, and the feeling of discovery as one explores and uncovers each secreted collectible. And between the main chapters, side jobs and the city hub, there's so much to it! The most underrated game in a long while, in my opinion.

In particular, I really enjoyed the first client mission for Vittori (recovering the skull). The writing is great, and its levity is a refreshing change of pace from the self-seriousness of the rest of the game. And the level design for the Bank Heist was excellent as well. In fact, the individual mission vignettes are probably the best part of the game--the smaller size makes for better pacing, and one can better appreciate the self-contained stories removed from the bombastic and unoriginal plot. I'd actually welcome DLC that's just a pack of well-designed side missions.

SJRB

Gold Member
I just did the skull mission, I thought that was an excellent mission as well. Pretty remarkable combination of tongue-in-cheek humor and good sneaking. I liked it a lot.

squadr0n

Wow this thread is moving fast!!

Thief has opened my eyes to how good games can go horribly wrong. wtf happened between dues ex and this game lol? What did ppl have to do to make them relies they are doing all the wrong things.

Aces&Eights

Question for the folks who are playing on Master: I have a hard time leaving people alive. So, I want to know if you can kill the guards and as long as they don't see you, can you get the undetected completion at the end of the level?

Wow this thread is moving fast!!

Thief has opened my eyes to how good games can go horribly wrong. wtf happened between dues ex and this game lol? What did ppl have to do to make them relies they are doing all the wrong things.

Same studio, but different team. So it's not the same guys that made Deus Ex HR, that's what *happened*

wetwired

So I just finished it, My thoughts

• The story was a massive turd of incomprehensible garbage. That's enough said on that.
  • The mechanics themselves are all mostly sound, focus is pretty much useless apart from scoping out the contents of a room. All the upgrades and add-ons aren't worth the effort based on how quickly the focus power is used up when activated.
  • Guards are all dumb as a post but for the most part it worked in an old school Thief kinda way, only issue I really had was the fact that one alerted guard telepathically alerts all other guards instantly, really annoying, I wish there was an audio cue before nearby guards would react so you had a chance to take them out before they alerted others.
  • Too much fluff, ditch all the set pieces moments, Chapter 6 was great and was a perfect Thief mission up until
    The whole building catches on fire
    Nothing was more satisfying in the old games then quietly sneaking away after completing a mission. I didn't buy this game to play a fast paced action set piece.
  • The asscreed free climbing sections are so unnecessary and seemed shoehorned into the overall design. Unlike the rest of the game there is no choice involved for the player, it's just a matter of following the level designers path. boring. Fuck it off.
  • Apart from a few times, mainly later in the game, the missions are far too linear, I know Deus Ex was another team but surely they could have learnt from their work?
  • I was really disappointed to see the lack of Hammerites, Mechanists, Pagans or Keepers. The series has some of the most original and interesting universes and to completely ignore all that world building character seems like a massively wasted opportunity and a slap in the face to fans.

It's such a shame because underneath it all this has such potential, the core engine and mechanics are all there, there's a few moments of Thief greatness scattered throughout and when it does work, it's fantastic. Eidos or even the modding community could take that core now and do great things. Fuck it Eidos, just use what you have now and remake 1,2 and 3, then profit.

I'll also add that it feels like half the game is missing, the city itself is great but feels empty and segmented by load screens. The squeezing through crates seemed like a contrived mechanism to segment the world, I would guess to fit in memory on lower end SKUs (PS3/360) There's also not a whole lot to do in the city, the few moments you do get good side missions would have been great it they were more numerous. I'd take a city 1/5 and 5 times as dense gameplay wise any day over what it is. Whole parts of the story seem missing, like entire missions were excised.

Top Bottom