• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

Kouichi

Dark Project and The Metal Age were fantastic, Deadly Shadows was just okay. Still, new Thief being at the same level as the third game is all I can hope for.

I enjoyed my time with Deadly Shadows more than I did with Dark Project. Although DP had some amazing levels, DS was the superior game, in my opinion. Also, nothing in DP surpasses The Cradle.

Thief 2 is still the king though.

Had any glitches? I encountered a few, like opening a window and Garrett just being pushed inside instead of the full animation. Had a part where subs weren't synced either, but that was fixed once they changed to the next scene.
No major glitches yet. I saw some out of sync.voice work once.Framerate.hitches, but overall pretty smooth experience when it comes to those.

Dawg

No major glitches yet. I saw some out of sync.voice work once.Framerate.hitches, but overall pretty smooth experience when it comes to those.

Yeah, about the same. I'm going to guess you have the PS4 version as well. Most noticeable thing are the framerate drops/hitches for me, I don't think it's optimized that much anyway. Looks like the last gen version with a 1080p bump.

I mean, graphics aren't that spectacular. Compared to Tomb Raider for example, it's a pretty big difference. I'm almost certain this game could reach 60fps on a PS4 with better optimization.

It looks nice and crisp on PS4 and Xbox One. Much better than I thought it would being a cross-gen game.

I was more impressed with Tomb Raider or Assassin's Creed IV to be honest. It still looks good, but feels much more last gen than the latter. There's parts where it really looks next-gen, but the majority looks like a ps3 game with a 1080p resolution. Art design is good though.

£34 on The Game Collection is the extra £1 makes a difference to your purchasing decision!

It's actually £34.85 on Simplygames, so it's really only an 85p difference...enough to buy a couple of chomps and freddos though. Hmm.

Anyway, I haven't ordered from TGC before, how reliable are they?

xAlias

Big thief fan and couldn't resist myself.

Normally I dont do pre orders but for a $15 paypal copy (AMD voucher), hopefully it works out to be worth it.

It's actually £34.85 on Simplygames, so it's really only an 85p difference...enough to buy a couple of chomps and freddos though. Hmm.

Anyway, I haven't ordered from TGC before, how reliable are they?

Well, its £33.95 so make it 90p ;p

Never pre-ordered from them before but what I've ordered otherwise has always been delivered quickly.

I got a really good service from Simply Games when I pre-ordered Bioshock Infinite from them so if you're unsure i'd go for Simply Games. Both contain the Bank Heist dlc mission

I don't get what the problems are with the game.

I've seen videos of it and it looks pretty solid.

The A.I. seems good, the level design seems very competent, the gameplay seems pretty aptly done for a stealth title.

I don't see any serious issues here.

Well, except for those utterly lame looking "chase" scenes.

Big thief fan and couldn't resist myself.

Normally I dont do pre orders but for a $15 paypal copy (AMD voucher), hopefully it works out to be worth it.

You got a copy for $15? Is it still possible to do this? I have it paid off on PS4, but I'd cancel that in a second if I could get it that cheap.

xAlias

You got a copy for $15? Is it still possible to do this? I have it paid off on PS4, but I'd cancel that in a second if I could get it that cheap.

$15 maybe hard now but its still possible for around $20-25 via paypal. Saw a few sales on the reddit gamesell and gameswap sections.

From what I'm watching of streams today (folks who work at retailers) the AI is as dumb as a bag of hammers. I'm impressed with how many options there are to turn off hud markers and such though.

$15 maybe hard now but its still possible for around $20-25 via paypal. Saw a few sales on the reddit gamesell and gameswap sections.

I just checked Ebay and it looks like its going for around 20-25, like you said.

For that price, I'll gladly take the plunge.

Thanks for the heads-up. At that price, you can have far less regrets.

Well, its £33.95 so make it 90p ;p

Never pre-ordered from them before but what I've ordered otherwise has always been delivered quickly.

I got a really good service from Simply Games when I pre-ordered Bioshock Infinite from them so if you're unsure i'd go for Simply Games. Both contain the Bank Heist dlc mission

That's five penny cola bottles! Sold!!!

I think I'll stick with Simply for now, but will be checking out TGC more often in the future. Thanks for the feedback.

OH yeah if you use a STEAM key (like those people are selling online), will you still get the extra DLC mission? Does anyone know about this?

I am really interested in picking this game up cheap if people are selling keys, but I'd like to get the DLC mission too.

Chapter 5 .... ummmm gtfo. Ahhhhhhh. Glad it's over. I'd like to stop shitting bricks. Once again Ill say. Wear headphones if you can.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Review finished and cut together. Just need to double check I can actually post a video review :p.

Can't really say shit until the review goes up, but I will say that I played through on Master Custom difficulty, Focus permanently locked off.

Vaiim

Can't really say shit until the review goes up, but I will say that I played through on Master Custom difficulty, Focus permanently locked off.

My hero :D

Looking forward to hearing how that went, especially after they were "kind" enough to give us that option on Hitman... -.-

Kouichi

Review finished and cut together. Just need to double check I can actually post a video review :p.

Oh now that is a review I'm looking forward to read. Your last preview was very insightful.

Video review.should be fine. That's the only way I review and they know that :)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Looking forward to the review

Dawg

Damn you alpha Australians.

I played the game on normal ;__;

SJRB

Gold Member
Damn you alpha Australians.

I played the game on normal ;__;

ziFeToK.jpg

So at least we know it's possible to do it, some people were saying that turning off Focus could be problematic if designers didn't think of it.

Dawg

So at least we know it's possible to do it, some people were saying that turning off Focus could be problematic if designers didn't think of it.

It's possible because it's part of the difficuly mods when you pick custom difficulty. And honestly, I didn't even use Focus all that much. Of course, I played on normal difficulty... but I have a feeling not having focus isn't the worst thing when you play Master Custom difficulty :p

SJRB

Gold Member
In anticipation I downloaded The Dark Mod.

Man this is awesome. Runs on the Doom 3 engine, looks way better than I expected. It's basically Thief with community generated missions. Super intense and really well done.

I can highly recommend anyone interested in Thief to give this a go. It's totally free to boot.

Momentary

Banned
GMG has the game for 35 bucks if you use O61269-BIMBGU-JRDM3J

You can also combine it with LoS2 and get both games for close to 75.

justjim89

In anticipation I downloaded The Dark Mod.

Man this is awesome. Runs on the Doom 3 engine, looks way better than I expected. It's basically Thief with community generated missions. Super intense and really well done.

I can highly recommend anyone interested in Thief to give this a go. It's totally free to boot.

I like The Dark Mod in theory, but between pretty substantial load times (at least on my computer) and how many fan missions are misses compared to hits, I haven't touched it in a few months.

SJRB

Gold Member
I like The Dark Mod in theory, but between pretty substantial load times (at least on my computer) and how many fan missions are misses compared to hits, I haven't touched it in a few months.

The load times are insane, I agree. Not sure why though, is it an engine problem?

I can't comment on the fan missions yet, spent an hour on the tutorial and are now doing the Tears mission that's included by default. I hope available missions can at least be sorted by popularity or rating.

Will M

Pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood.

While all that customizable difficulty via UI stuff is nice, all that stuff still affects a games design, whether turned on or off.

Pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood.

I'm scared. Please hold me. I'm honestly a little scared to fire up the game in 20 more hours. PBG. PBGPBGPBGPBGPBGOOOOOOOD

Sounds great!

Let us know when it goes up. I am eagerly awaiting impressions!

One question though, did you at least try out the focus stuff? To see how it affects the gameplay?

commissar

The load times are insane, I agree. Not sure why though, is it an engine problem?
As I understand it:
idTech4 levels use textures across multiple .pk4 archives to minimise assest doubling at the expense of longer loading.

BFG Edition shifted to loading-efficient .resources packs for each level but this increased the install size due to assets being doubled up.

The BFG Edition also had some changes associated with bits of idTech 5 built into it, so textures are pre-processed in a .resources but can be uncompressed .tga in .pk4.

Then again this might not be the actualreason for long loads, I dunno :V

Deadbeat

Banned
Speaking of The Dark Mod, any particular maps that are good?
http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/13323-pick-your-top-5-tdm-missions/
The Top SEVEN Missions, by community vote:

1. Tears of St. Lucia (13 votes)
2. A Score to Settle (11 votes)
3. No Honour Among Thieves, Glenham Tower, Knighton Manor, Heart of Lone Salvation, Return to the City (7 votes each)

Honourable Mentions:

4. Alberic's Curse, Flakebridge Monastary (6 votes each)
5. Mandrasola, The Transaction, St. Alban's Cathedral, Fiasco on Fauchard St. (4 votes each)
6. The Builder's Influence (3 votes)

Top Bottom