• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on the future status of the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII?

ash_ag

As soon as the Final Fantasy VII remake was announced, many saw potential changes to the original game's narrative (among other things) as inevitable. To a certain extend, they are, and game director Tetsuya Nomura has confirmed the remake will at the very least not be the exact same game. Given Final Fantasy VII has enjoyed a large number of spin-offs across several media, it becomes worth wondering if those spin-offs will see future support by Square Enix and if they will ultimately fit the narrative of the game's remake.

It's still too early to tell for sure, but I was wondering what most want or expect. Here are my thoughts:

Before Crisis -Final Fantasy VII- (Mobile, 2004)
A game that released for feature phones back in 2004. It focuses on the Turks and takes place six years prior to the events of Final Fantasy VII. Most (myself included) never managed to play this game, since it never left Japan. Impressions are sparse, but I was personally always intrigued by it. It may have partly been due to its exoticness, but the game does seem to offer some interesting ideas, at least for its era. I don't think it's too important from a story perspective (which is to say, its application to the altered Final Fantasy VII saga may not matter too much), but I still hope they remake it for modern smartphones.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (Film, 2005)
The entry that sparked the Final Fantasy VII renaissance of mid-00's, and the very reason the Compilation even became a thing. My feelings are mixed about some elements of the movie, but the worst I could say about it is that it was a shallow production with great action scenes that did no harm to the classic game. That said, this is the one that is definitely staying. It was expensive to produce, it was co-directed by Tetsuya Nomura, and its elements are already evident in the Final Fantasy VII remake. It also received a remastered / Director's Cut version in Advent Children Complete of 2010. I wouldn't care if it was gone, but I can say with almost absolute certainty it will still apply. Could even receive a third version when the time comes.

Dirge of Cerberus -Final Fantasy VII- (PS2, 2006)
Never managed to track this one back in the day, and I eventually stopped trying. So, it's a little bit weird, and reception was mixed at best. I always considered it a temporary midquel between Advent Children and an eventual proper sequel of FFVII, but the latter never came. Could this receive an HD remaster? Could it be reworked to be a better game? If not, will they just skip it in case they want to indeed make Final Fantasy VII-2 (assumingly post-Advent Children)? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they simply acted as if it doesn't exist. But if they don't, I would still find it weird if this (and its feature phone sibling, Lost Episode) is the last chronological entry in the Compilation.

Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII- (PSP, 2007)
In my opinion, the best entry (original game aside) of the Compilation and one of the best handheld games of the last generation. Half of the reason I opened the thread is this game. I found its atmosphere to fit FFVII's narrative perfectly, and its characters were incredibly engaging. Its story presented a very alternative look at the character of Sephiroth, which I personally loved. I think it nailed it as far as a prequel (and more importantly expansion to some very iconic FFVII events) goes, and it would be a shame if it went into limbo due to the reimagination of the original. I hope an HD remaster happens somewhere along the line, and its story remains part of the new saga.

Some additional thoughts on related works:

Last Order -Final Fantasy VII- (OVA, 2005)
Never particularly cared about it. It was an okay entry before Crisis Core, but now feels a bit obsolete. If Nibelheim Incident remains generally unchanged, I could see it bundled with some future Final Fantasy VII-related release.

On the Way to a Smile and other short stories (Stories, 2005 - 2011)
I thought this collection of short stories was excellent on its own sake. It successfully captures the atmosphere of Gaia and it gives an interesting outlook on many characters. It made me further appreciate Tifa, and Denzel (whose story became animated in 2009) became somewhat likeable. The Maiden Who Travels the Planet was also very decent, if maybe a bit trippy. I suppose if Advent Children will still apply, those will as well. Whether Square Enix will rerelease them in some form remains to be seen.

Final Fantasy VII G-Bike (Mobile, 2014)
This one has to remain canon. Too important.

Final Fantasy VII itself
Frankly, I don't think the overall plot of the remake will change -- most of what happened will still happen. Some narrative shakeups will be there, and we might get additional point of views, story threads, and the like. But I feel they won't change the core events in a major way. But then again, anything is possible.

What does everyone think? What are your hopes and expectations in regards to the existing entries Compilation? Or the future? Should they simply release the remake and leave it be without the expanded universe? Should the world rather be built from the grounds up?

P.S.: Apologies if this discussion is considered counter-productive at this early stage.

I really enjoyed Crisis Core. Angeal and Genesis were great, so I hope we see something for it someday. Maybe get Gackt to play (blitz)ball and let them get remastered.

sono

Gold Member
Final Fantasy VII itself
Frankly, I don't think the overall plot of the remake will change -- most of what happened will still happen. Some narrative shakeups will be there, and we might get additional point of views, story threads, and the like. But I feel they won't change the core events in a major way. But then again, anything is possible.

Personally I would be interested in a dicussion on FF VII remake content itself first, its way too early to go beyond that in my opinion. For example I was wondering how they would do the battle system in the remake.

ash_ag

Personally I would be interested in a dicussion on FF VII remake content itself first, its way too early to go beyond that in my opinion. For example I was wondering how they would do the battle system in the remake.

All mechanics seem to be in a strange situation. I don't expect standard ATB to return, but I'm more curious about whatever is bound to happen to the World Map. Maybe however game navigation changes will also play a role on how the plot is altered.

Top Bottom