• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Threads of Fate for the PSX....

neptunes

What did you think of it?

psxthreadsoffate.jpg

I saw this game for cheap at my local BlockBuster, just want to know what think of it.

Hournda

It was a pretty fun action/adventure game with some RPG elements and a decent story. If you play as the girl be prepared for some surprisingly funny dialogue. I thought it was a solid entry from Square that doens't use some kind of variant of the Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest engine.

firex

I didn't like the demo of it that came with either Vagrant Story or Legend of Mana, so I never got the full game. I thought the demo was atrociously boring and easy.

belgurdo

Banned
neptunes said:
I heard it's almost like Brave fencer Musashi.

It pretty much is, except they basically split the ability absorbing gimmick between two characters and fleshed out their personalities more

jett

D-Member
It's not really like BFM, it's almost like a 2.5D game in some dungeons. It's a good game, don't get into it with high expectations. I thought that the graphics were some of the PS1's best, though.

Love it. Basically pre-ordered it because I knew I was getting Legend of Mana and Chrono Cross and I wanted to get the Summer of Adventure bag (which I didn't end up with argh), but it ended up being a pleasant surprise... made up for Legend of Mana, I guess. Action-RPG that leans toward the action part, which was a nice antidote after trying to play Vagrant Story. What really made the game memorable for me though, was the townspeople. I enjoyed seeing this slice of a few days of their lives, interacting with and learning about them between the stages. A small world and a small town, but it was pulled off satisfactorally.

firex:
I didn't like the demo of it that came with either Vagrant Story or Legend of Mana, so I never got the full game. I thought the demo was atrociously boring and easy.
Yeah, the demo made me start to regret pre-ordering the thing, but I guess it wasn't very indicative of the game as a whole...

Never played Musashi, so I can't compare.

Nice graphics and music, somewhat entertaining story and characters, but very thin gameplay. I don't think it really compares with Brave Fencer as the latter has much more varied and ambitious level design and adventure elements (even if it's also wonkier at times). I don't want to rag on it too much as it was developed by a small team in a short time; they did a decent job, but even (in fact, especially) on a low budget you can still try to make unique gameplay, which TOF really doesn't have.

Dyne

When I bought Vagrant Story it was on the demo disc. I played it through with both characters; I liked it a lot. Good clean fun. :)

Top Bottom