• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to eat crow regarding "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they're still a bit concerned with certain origins and taking risks. That's why Asgard is not magic, but an advanced technology. I have a feeling Dr. Strange will be similar. It won't be magic, but some kind of 'cosmic force', maybe related to the Cube/Tesseract. In fact, isn't Juggernaut's helmet magical or something anyways?
IIRC the Asgardians were originally portrayed as an advanced species ala the New Gods, and since then writers/artists have gone back and forth on what it "should" look like.

Blader

Winter Soldier has more to say about politics/spy shit (which, admittedly is very very little) than TDK did on crime... or politics.... or much of anything... i dunno nolan something something hero we don't deserve something oh fuck it

You don't even know what you're trying to say

duckroll

I think they're still a bit concerned with certain origins and taking risks. That's why Asgard is not magic, but an advanced technology. I have a feeling Dr. Strange will be similar. It won't be magic, but some kind of 'cosmic force', maybe related to the Cube/Tesseract. In fact, isn't Juggernaut's helmet magical or something anyways?

Marvel's Thor was never about magic though. They were always super advanced scifi inter-dimensional beings. That was the hook. It was a re-imagination of Norse mythology with scifi. Kevin Feige has confirmed that Doctor Strange is going to be the portal to Marvel's supernatural universe, like how Guardians was a portal to their cosmic universe. There's no dancing around it, he just flat out says it.

Megasoum

Banned
giphy.gif

Very small spoiler about the movie...

That scene was actually a lot funnier in the trailer than in the movie. Sometimes censoring works great for comedy.

Oh I like this thread. I like it a lot.

i5SnKuBbn1DVs.gif

Time to gloat!!! I predicted all of this. I predicted the glowing reviews, the fact that it would have one of, if not the highest score on RottenTomatoes sitting between 92%-96%. I also knew the movie would be the next big thing. It was painfully obvious this was going to be a huge hit after all the incredible marketing and the fact that Slither was an amazing movie. I called it doing $700million+ ages ago and even said it’s got a very good shot at joining the 1 billion dollar club – which is still very much does and to be quite honest, probably will. Every time someone said the score on RottenTomatoes would be around 60%-80% I just scratched my head in confusion, for months now this movie has easily looked liked the best Marvel movie. It always looked like the main course and not the snack.

It was clear that it had much more appeal and would reach a bigger audience than the usual Marvel movie does thanks to its zaniness and refreshing tone....it was the same with the box office predictions, a lot of you guys thought I was mad when I was predicting 700million+ but I never for a second doubted it. When I saw that Maleficent had made 700 million it only made me even more confident. And people that said this wouldn’t do well because know one knew who the characters are were always going to be wrong. I sure do like being right a lot. I called AVATAR, Frozen and now this all being huge.

Sheroking

Definitely not true. Winter Soldier as a political thriller is easily dark knight calibre, was wildly successful, and has universal acclaim.

No it's not (at least not in the way we're talking about now):

That movie has a german scientist's conscience implanted in a 1970's computer bank, a malfunctioning flying car and Captain America jumping off motorcycles, bringing down futuristic hover planes by throwing a shield at them.

There is an inherent level of cheese in ALL of the Marvel movies, and that's not a criticism. It's intentional, and it doesn't detract from what they're attempting, but it will keep them from ever being taken seriously by the Academy as it is now or people who similarly have low tolerance for that kind of thing. Regardless of your personal opinion of these movies, if you can't watch The Dark Knight and then Captain America: The Winter Soldier and see why the Academy would probably take one more seriously than the other, you aren't paying attention.

Toxi

Banned
Winter Soldier has more to say about politics/spy shit (which, admittedly is very very little) than TDK did on crime... or politics.... or much of anything... i dunno nolan something something hero we don't deserve something oh fuck it

Guardians of the Galaxy was alright. Unsurprising that it made money. It's fun and features the one and only Kevin Feige absurdly-safe-no-creative-risks-whatsoever stamp of approval.
The Dark Knight certainly has a bizarre ending with the whole fascist "hide the truth from the people so we can keep crooks in jail without proper review" decision that somehow makes Batman a martyr.

DonMigs85

Marvel's Thor was never about magic though. They were always super advanced scifi inter-dimensional beings. That was the hook. It was a re-imagination of Norse mythology with scifi. Kevin Feige has confirmed that Doctor Strange is going to be the portal to Marvel's supernatural universe, like how Guardians was a portal to their cosmic universe. There's no dancing around it, he just flat out says it.

But how do you explain Mjolnir's "behaviour" or how Thor got de-powered when he was first banished to earth?

Dalek

i5SnKuBbn1DVs.gif

Time to gloat!!! I predicted all of this. I predicted the glowing reviews, the fact that it would have one of, if not the highest score on RottenTomatoes sitting between 92%-96%. I also knew the movie would be the next big thing. It was painfully obvious this was going to be a huge hit after all the incredible marketing and the fact that Slither was an amazing movie. I called it doing $700million+ ages ago and even said it’s got a very good shot at joining the 1 billion dollar club – which is still very much does and to be quite honest, probably will. Every time someone said the score on RottenTomatoes would be around 60%-80% I just scratched my head in confusion, for months now this movie has easily looked liked the best Marvel movie. It always looked like the main course and not the snack.

It was clear that it had much more appeal and would reach a bigger audience than the usual Marvel movie does thanks to its zaniness and refreshing tone....it was the same with the box office predictions, a lot of you guys thought I was mad when I was predicting 700million+ but I never for a second doubted it. When I saw that Maleficent had made 700 million it only made me even more confident. And people that said this wouldn’t do well because know one knew who the characters are were always going to be wrong. I sure do like being right a lot. I called AVATAR, Frozen and now this all being huge.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-2478-1380926379-10.gif

kasane

people seriously thought it was gonna bomb?

the advertising on this thing was massive and the teasers looked interesting

Verendus

Banned

http://i.minus.com/i5SnKuBbn1DVs.gif

This is an easy avatar bet for someone out there on GAF. Like, he's pretty much offering himself to be violated by one of you.

duckroll

But how do you explain Mjolnir's "behaviour" or how Thor got de-powered when he was first banished to earth?

What's there to explain? I'm not saying it's logical or scientific, I'm just saying the movie Thor is not different from the comics. Both represent the gods and worlds as superior beings and other dimensions, and the "explanation" is just that they're so advanced it seems like magic to mere mortals on Earth. That's different from Doctor Strange, which is actually supernatural stuff. He's called the Sorcerer Supreme for a reason, and they're not going to change that.

I didn't say anything to deserve eating crow but I just had to pop in and say it even exceeded my expectations. Such a phenomenal movie. Marvel is knocking it out of the park with every movie and this is the best one.

Very small spoiler about the movie...

That scene was actually a lot funnier in the trailer than in the movie. Sometimes censoring works great for comedy.

I agree,
I just think there's something about an advanced race of peoples who have something set up to stop obscene gestures from being shown is a bit humorous. Not to mention 99%, if not everyone, knows what it is anyway, so showing it doesn't change anything.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I agree,
I just think there's something about an advanced race of peoples who have something set up to stop obscene gestures from being shown is a bit humorous. Not to mention 99%, if not everyone, knows what it is anyway, so showing it doesn't change anything.

Well it didn't help that he kept the line "sorry, I didn't know how this machine worked"

When in the trailer, it appears he is referring to the censor when in reality the machine was his hand. Kinda awkward scene after watching the trailer.

I don't think I ever posted anything about it on this forum, but I need a plate too. I thought this was a bomb for sure. Anyhow, medium well please, hold the feet.

This is an easy avatar bet for someone out there on GAF. Like, he's pretty much offering himself to be violated by one of you.

Oh ye of little faith. Once the word of mouth kicks in it’s totally possible that this will have Avengers like success. And notice how I said 'probably'. I pick my words very carefully.

At this point I don't think it's that much of a stretch at all. Am I willing to bet my avatar? Nah. Am I fairly confident? You bet I am. Let's just wait and see what happens shall we...

anaron

i5SnKuBbn1DVs.gif

Haha, I was just gonna say how you're 2/2 after frozen but I guess with avatar you're at 3/3

Get those receipts, gorl.

Measley

Anyone else think its interesting/sad how Marvel could get GotG to work, but DC/WB couldn't get Green Lantern to work?

Anyone else think its interesting/sad how Marvel could get GotG to work, but DC/WB couldn't get Green Lantern to work?
True. But the CW somehow turned Green Arrow into one of the best love action super hero things put there. WB/DC has it in them to kick ass. Let's hope their film side gets better soon.

xaosslug

who has the rights to The Imperial Guard? Marvel-Disney, or FOX? I hope they pop up in a movie, soon... how can they not, at this point? Shouldn't the Shi'ar Empire be aware of what Thanos is up to and be watching closely?

Lebron

DC/WB have no idea what they're doing with their characters, so nah. Not really. The CW and their animation division are the only saving graces currently.

Guardians taught me 2 very large things that I didn't know before it came out.
1. People are okay with something they don't recognize as long as it's related to something they do.
2. If disney is saving up all the money from profits from each of their successes..... they could get America out of this economic depression.

ReiGun

One is another Marvel Studios joint that was smooth sailing from greenlight to release. The other had a troubled production, including script rewrites even after production started.

Nothing really interesting to discuss there. Business as usual in Hollywood, really.

True. But the CW somehow turned Green Arrow into one of the best love action super hero things put there. WB/DC has it in them to kick ass. Let's hope their film side gets better soon.

I wonder how much of the script that the Arrow guys wrote actually made it into the Green Lantern movie

ReiGun

I wonder how much of the script that the Arrow guys wrote actually made it into the Green Lantern movie

Who knows. Green Lantern seemed to have a lot of cooks in the kitchen who were all trying to make a completely different dish even though they were supposed to be working together.

edit: Jesus christ @ Captain America > Superman. Zero to Hero indeed.

To be fair it's Superman reboot attempt number 2 in less than ten years with a mainstream stigma of Superman being "over powered", boring and just uncool along with not having a good movie in over 30 years. I think it did well enough and was received by general audiences better than Superman Returns was it was basically its "Batman Begins".

Aside from being a damn good movie Captain America: TWS like IM3 and Thor:TDW before it got a huge boost from The Avengers, especially IM3 and TWS which nearly doubled the world wide box office takes of their previous movies.

Marvel's PorcelainMan.

I'd watch that.

You know, after thinking about it I probably would too and it could end up being damn entertaining.

Damn, I didn't know we could make crow threads anymore. I totally should make my "eat crow folks who said Kinect would never be removed from XBO package people" thread :(

anyway, I didn't think it'd too as well as a normal Marvel film, but I didn't think it'd be a flop either. I guess I deserve to eat like maybe a crows foot or something.

If you want to make a Crow-eating thread, this would be the Last Supper

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489769

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I always assumed the Asgardians were 'supernatural' for lack of a better term. They were pretty much actual gods and not just a highly advanced (as in scientifically advanced) race like the MCU pretty much turned them into. Same goes for beings like Dormammu and Mephisto.

Although that's cool to hear they're going to introduce the supernatural aspects with Dr. Strange. He's my favorite Marvel "superhero" so I'm very stoked for this and Marvel seems on a really good roll right now. I just hope they get someone who can really pull off the character, whether that be Joachim Phoenix or whoever else they might have in mind.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Biggest crow eating of all time.

Nope. Titanic was bigger.
It had intensely negative press consistently, and starting long before release.
And the jokes made themselves.
It even had a sorta weak opening weekend. ($28,638,131 )

Hmmm. My bad.
As a side note I took my family to see Scott Pilgrim, they hated every single second of the movie, but they loved Guardians of the Galaxy, basically is high octane Sci Fi action. Gorge Lucas should be forced to watch this film, this's what Episode I should be.

Verendus

Banned
Willco/Batman Begins was the original crow eating GAF thread
I can imagine this one.

Moaning about how a realistic Batman would work. Batman and Robin. Will probably fail since it's not Spider-Man. Looks terrible etc.

Goes onto spawn the most well received comic book movies of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom