• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to eat crow regarding "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing I've never understood is why so many doubted this specifically because of Groot and Rocket.

As if talking CGI creatures are some foreign concept to movie goers.

It actually is oddly similar to the belief Avatar would bomb because it had " blue cat people."

Going back to star wars again, even though the new trilogy and CGI creature excess is almost universally reviled by hardcore fans, those movies made bank.

I don't think "audiences hate CGI characters" has ever really been true on the high end.

Volotaire

I'll happily have a bowl of crow. That was a fantastic film. It helped that my expectations were quite low.

Not about it bombing in the charts though, I was sure this was going to be a hit whatever its quality.

I'm certainly not on the wall of shame and i didn't think this movie would bomb but add me to the list of people who thought it would perform worse than this. Marvel really are untouchable at the moment and everything they touch turns into box office gold. It's a pretty incredible run they're having and it makes you wonder how long it will take before super hero movies stop being so incredibly dominant.

That was the EXACT post that made me write the comment above. Like.. DAMN.

Plus it's also like - there's a contingency here at GAF that likes to claim Begins is the best Batman movie, and it's always been that way, and that opinion didn't gain a hell of a lot of steam until just recently, as a reaction to Dark Knight Rises. Like there wasn't a lukewarm opinion of it at first, and that the opinion didn't grow over time thanks to its popularity on home video.

And then I look at that thread and I'm like, okay, I fuckin' KNEW it wasn't like that. I was there, and I don't remember it playing out that way. People were a little skeptical, and people did have problems with it, and it took a couple extra views (and The Dark Knight) before people REALLY started the loving Begins.

How many people actually say that the general consensus was that begins was and always has been the best? I think there are quite a few people on here including myself who have felt that way from the start but i wouldn't argue that was the general consensus. If anything i think most people acknowledge that the dark knight was the best received of the lot and is the one that made the franchise as popular and loved as it now is.

It didn't take the dark knight for those of us who loved begins to feel that way. If anything the dark knight is just about my most hyped film ever because begins was so damn good. The lead up to the dark knight and the release of those trailers was just amazing.

RangerX

Banned
No it's not (at least not in the way we're talking about now):

That movie has a german scientist's conscience implanted in a 1970's computer bank, a malfunctioning flying car and Captain America jumping off motorcycles, bringing down futuristic hover planes by throwing a shield at them.

There is an inherent level of cheese in ALL of the Marvel movies, and that's not a criticism. It's intentional, and it doesn't detract from what they're attempting, but it will keep them from ever being taken seriously by the Academy as it is now or people who similarly have low tolerance for that kind of thing. Regardless of your personal opinion of these movies, if you can't watch The Dark Knight and then Captain America: The Winter Soldier and see why the Academy would probably take one more seriously than the other, you aren't paying attention.

What has the academy taking it seriously got to do with anything? The oscars have been complete shit for years. Anyway The winter soldier was far more frank and accurate than the dark knight about the political system that exists in the world today. Yeah its not very deep or expansive and its wrapped in a fair bit of cheese but give me that anyday over the Dark knights vague patriot act supporting nonsense.

How many people actually say that the general consensus was that begins was and always has been the best? I think there are quite a few people on here including myself who have felt that way from the start but i wouldn't argue that was the general consensus. If anything i think most people acknowledge that the dark knight was the best received of the lot and is the one that made the franchise as popular and loved as it now is.

Maybe I didn't make it clear - I said *I* percieved there to be a contingency here at GAF that says Begins was and always was the best. That you volunteered yourself to be among them just now doesn't hurt my perception. :)

In general, yes, I think most people easily recognize The Dark Knight as "the best one" but I was speaking specifically of this forum, and on this forum, I think there are quite a few people who revised their opinions of the trilogy, and after all the fighting and nitpicking that was taken to Dark Knight since it came out, and the disappointing nature of Dark Knight Returns (which is still a pretty decent Batman movie) some Batman Begins "purists" have definitely appeared and made some noise, and that thread helps me to safely doubt the validity of that purism in some cases :)

A lot of people were excited for Dark Knight becuase they hoped it would be better than Begins. A lot of them liked Begins more once they got it on home video and watched it away from the weird expectations it had in 2005, and the soft reception it got in theaters. And a lot of people were excited for Dark Knight because it was the one with The Joker. :)

Now, next weekend will be the real test.

Exactly. If it takes a dive bigger than 60% that isn't good. Of course, Days of Future Past and Man of Steel took steep dives their second weeks and stabilized after that. But Amazing Spider Man 2 took a smaller drop than those but kept dropping.

Exactly. If it takes a dive bigger than 60% that isn't good. Of course, Days of Future Past and Man of Steel took steep dives their second weeks and stabilized after that. But Amazing Spider Man 2 took a smaller drop than those but kept dropping.

I think a 55-60% weekend to weekend drop is probable, unless word of mouth gets REALLY hot between now and Thursday.

It faces TMNT as its' main challenge, so jury's out on that one.

I could see 50/55. People like it too much for there to be a steep drop, IMO.

Dash27

I had no idea this would be so good. Fully admit it. I didnt think it would flop I just ... didnt think of the movie at all. Not on my radar. I think it speaks to how rare it is to get something like this.

That's why I'm so happy this movie is doing well. I want more like it.

RoKKeR

Still haven't seen it and I think it looks incredibly dumb... what am I missing? The response is absolutely insane, I'm impressed to say the least.

TEJ

Still haven't seen it and I think it looks incredibly dumb... what am I missing? The response is absolutely insane, I'm impressed to say the least.

it's pure space opera fun, that doesn't take itself very seriously and is actually good when it does take itself seriously,

and it has an awesome soundtrack

Maybe I didn't make it clear - I said *I* percieved there to be a contingency here at GAF that says Begins was and always was the best. That you volunteered yourself to be among them just now doesn't hurt my perception. :)

In general, yes, I think most people easily recognize The Dark Knight as "the best one" but I was speaking specifically of this forum, and on this forum, I think there are quite a few people who revised their opinions of the trilogy, and after all the fighting and nitpicking that was taken to Dark Knight since it came out, and the disappointing nature of Dark Knight Returns (which is still a pretty decent Batman movie) some Batman Begins "purists" have definitely appeared and made some noise, and that thread helps me to safely doubt the validity of that purism in some cases :)

A lot of people were excited for Dark Knight becuase they hoped it would be better than Begins. A lot of them liked Begins more once they got it on home video and watched it away from the weird expectations it had in 2005, and the soft reception it got in theaters. And a lot of people were excited for Dark Knight because it was the one with The Joker. :)

Actually i kind of flip flop on which i prefer out of begins and the dark knight, generally i lean towards begins (i also quite like rises). I understood what you said just fine btw. It's kinda hard to argue with really, unless those specific posters who were on the thread in that thread are the ones now saying begins was always the best it's hard to take much away from it. I will agree that in general begins seems to be looked at FAR more favorably now than it was at release.

It would be difficult for Guardians to drop 50% with 11 million in previews. Even 60% isn't that bad because after mid August, the list of compelling releases drop off and Guardians will assuredly have some great drops heading into Labor Day. I would say high 50s drop is probably likely. Keep in mind it'll burn off a little more demand during the weekdays compared to Cap 2

farisr

Don't expect great action, or a great story. Both of these aspects are just "okay." It's the characters, their interactions, comedy, and music that are the cause of the response you're seeing.

y2dvd

I'm happy for the success, but I think yall are underestimating today's TMNT brand. It's still really big with kids. Parents will take their kids to see it. They are going to think it's along the lines of the cgi kid's show. I wouldn't be surprise if TMNT takes the #1 spot next week.

The brand is strong, always has been, always will be. The problem is the marketing.

Turtles look "weird"
Logo isn't recognizable
Most of the trailers up until this point haven't been aimed at kids
Most of the trailers up until this point haven't highlighted the Turtles' personalities

Basically, until a couple weeks ago, they've been marketing this thing towards... nobody. And the response to that marketing bears that out.

Turtles might make 45mil over its weekend. But I can see Guardians making 55 next weekend, too.

Verendus

Banned
That was the EXACT post that made me write the comment above. Like.. DAMN.

Plus it's also like - there's a contingency here at GAF that likes to claim Begins is the best Batman movie, and it's always been that way, and that opinion didn't gain a hell of a lot of steam until just recently, as a reaction to Dark Knight Rises. Like there wasn't a lukewarm opinion of it at first, and that the opinion didn't grow over time thanks to its popularity on home video.

And then I look at that thread and I'm like, okay, I fuckin' KNEW it wasn't like that. I was there, and I don't remember it playing out that way. People were a little skeptical, and people did have problems with it, and it took a couple extra views (and The Dark Knight) before people REALLY started the loving Begins.
I've always liked Begins more than any other superhero movie since I first saw it in 2005. There have been other good superhero movies like X-Men 2, but when Begins released and I watched it, it felt like the first great one. He took a comic book movie, removed all the campiness and crap that it felt like most of them have to have, and delivered something that actually focused on character with some great crowd pleasing scenes. I never liked the Raimi Spider-Man movies because Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst pretty much ruin everything good about them but Batman Begins was fucking incredible when it released. It got everything right from the cast to the story.

The success of The Dark Knight has to partly be tied into how well that movie was received. I wasn't interested in just seeing the Joker, I was excited to see the man who made Batman Begins use the Joker and see whether he'd top the first movie. I can't be the only with that kind of sentiment.

I loved The Dark Knight, but Begins has always been my personal favourite.

The reaction to TDKR on GAF is bloody weird anyway. The only comic book movies received better than it are Spider-Man 2 and The Dark Knight. The extreme hyperbole surrounding it is thanks mostly to The Dark Knight.

The success of The Dark Knight has to partly be tied into how well that movie was received.

I absolutely agree. I just happen to think more people came around on Batman Begins due to its success on home video and cable re-airings than with its theatrical run. I think people were more willing to give it a fair shot once it was on DVD, and when they did, they realized that some of the complaints people had during its theatrical run weren't that strong. I'm not saying there weren't people who really enjoyed it when it first hit, because of course there were. I'm one of 'em. But I think The Dark Knight becomes as anticipated as it was due to three things

1) Begins' second life on home video
2) The Joker
3) The marketing

The reaction to TDKR on GAF is bloody weird anyway.

No doubt.

TEJ

I saw batman begins in theaters opening weekend and it made me a believer in Nolan.

I know it's unpopular here, but I did love rises and I am looking forward to Interstellar so much.

I saw batman begins in theaters opening weekend and it made me a believer in Nolan.

I know it's unpopular here, but I did love rises and I am looking forward to Interstellar so much.

Im with you.
Rises ending is actually one of my all time favorites. Dat audience reaction.

Parch

They've done a really good job selling this movie. Marketing has done their work.

I'm not really surprised the movie hasn't bombed. Doing better than I thought, but I thought it would be in that group of semi-successful Marvel movies.

I was more surprised with the selection. Pretty gutsy move by Marvel for going ahead with Guardians of the Galaxy. It just proves that if that's going to work, the comic movie possibilities are endless.

Dash27

They've done a really good job selling this movie. Marketing has done their work.

I'm not really surprised the movie hasn't bombed. Doing better than I thought, but I thought it would be in that group of semi-successful Marvel movies.

I was more surprised with the selection. Pretty gutsy move by Marvel for going ahead with Guardians of the Galaxy. It just proves that if that's going to work, the comic movie possibilities are endless.

Speaking of which, where can I read about the story behind this movie getting made in the first place. It's a home run but it does seem like an odd choice none the less. Did someone push for it? Gunn?

So far as I can tell, the story seems to go that Nicole Perlman was supposed to write a Black Widow script for Marvel, and she did - but she also decided she was gonna take a crack at Guardians of the Galaxy, too. She turned both in, and while Marvel execs were thinking more towards Black Widow being the viable option, they read the Guardians script and decided to put that one on the docket, and folded parts of the Black Widow story Perlman had come up with into Winter Soldier.

I don't know how much of that is real and how much of that is internet narrative already.

At that point, story goes that Whedon put Gunn's name in the hopper for that movie, and then Gunn rewrote Perlman's script to be more comedic once he was hired.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Going back to star wars again, even though the new trilogy and CGI creature excess is almost universally reviled by hardcore fans, those movies made bank.

I don't think "audiences hate CGI characters" has ever really been true on the high end.

Those movie made bank because so many of us foolishly thought "ok that shit was dumb as fuck...but then anakin will turn to the darkside and shit will get real" and i think all said and done we got like 1:30 seconds of the main man Darth Vader. The ass beatings he handed out in the first trilogy strung us fans along for 5 years 3 movies and countless cringe worthy scenes of bad acting and retarded plot developments. We never got to see the monster that was Vader who subjected all but a handful of planets that were resisting in Star Wars. I have never felt so empty. I guess there were some star wars games that show some of that...ugh...

Popstar

Speaking of which, where can I read about the story behind this movie getting made in the first place. It's a home run but it does seem like an odd choice none the less. Did someone push for it? Gunn?

The original screenwriter picked it from a list. Here's an interview with her
http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/guardians-of-the-galaxy-nicole-perlman

In 2009, Perlman — a budding screenwriter with a great deal of buzz behind her but no produced movies yet to her name — joined the Marvel Writing Program, an unusual, two-year, salaried conclave of up-and-coming screenwriters tasked with diving into Marvel’s back catalogue of comic titles to see which ones might work as feature films.
“We got to choose from a list of half a dozen properties that they had that were lesser Marvel properties,” said Perlman, now 33. “There was no guarantee that these projects would ever get made. And there were properties on that list that were much better known, things that people had heard of. But I saw Guardians of the Galaxy. … I took it.”

“I had been doing all these very specific, science-y, historical pictures,” she said. “But I wanted to get into this larger realm of science fiction and more fun, action-packed movies.” Unfortunately, no one in Hollywood seemed to want her to do it. “There was a little of this, like, ‘You’re a cute a lovely girl! How are you going to write a’” — she affected a deep, macho voice here — “‘big action masculine movie?!’” Perlman, her hair in tight, close-cropped curls and her demeanor bright and upbeat, is not a naturally intimidating presence. “I think the undercurrent was very much like, ‘We’re just not sure you could handle it,’ even if they really loved my take or my pitch.”

When she looked at the titles on Marvel’s list, however, Perlman realized this was finally her chance to take a big swing at writing a big sci-fi movie. “There was, like, no question for me what I was going to do,” she said. And unlike so many other Hollywood gatekeepers who turned her away, Marvel didn’t flinch. “They might have been a little surprised when I chose Guardians as opposed to one of the other projects,” said Perlman. “But I didn’t get any pushback about being [a woman]. They kind of loved it.” (She declined, by the way, to name those other projects on the record.)

the winner from the first page imo

How anyone could have thought or expected that is astounding. The signs of the direction Sony would be taking were apparent years ago (I mean well before 2012 when that post was made) from the PS3's problems and the shake ups that caused.

Still not as good as 'Heath Ledger as Joker' crowd eating.

Yeah, I can get people questioning it but the lengths people went were ridiculous, especially with all the the Brokeback "jokes". That movie should've actually instilled confidence in people that Ledger would do something amazing with the role and it still annoys me when people try and claim the only reason Ledger's Joker got the response it did was because of his death despite the fact that the buzz/hype was already high.

Sanjuro

I absolutely agree. I just happen to think more people came around on Batman Begins due to its success on home video and cable re-airings than with its theatrical run. I think people were more willing to give it a fair shot once it was on DVD, and when they did, they realized that some of the complaints people had during its theatrical run weren't that strong. I'm not saying there weren't people who really enjoyed it when it first hit, because of course there were. I'm one of 'em. But I think The Dark Knight becomes as anticipated as it was due to three things

1) Begins' second life on home video
2) The Joker
3) The marketing

No doubt.

Begins did fine theatrically considering the elements at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom