• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to eat crow regarding "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiktor

Marvel could even make a terrible crap like Thor 2 do great numbers. That's the power of their marketing. Good to see it was used for a good and risky movie here though.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yeah you can totally get a crow refund. Have you seen the movie yet? Lots of the effects in the actual film look like shit too! I love the art direction, but the visual effects and cinematography totally doesn't do it justice. There are some pretty nice establishing shots, but by and large it looked really cheap.

ILM's bid was too expensive for Marvel.

bengraven

Originally Posted by bengraven

...really? They don't have enough potential AAA Marvel properties to play off of?

Well, I guess since so many of their franchises are in other studios' hands...

In my defense, I'm just expressing shock that they went with such a random property, like many others did. When I say "I guess", it's like "okay, let's see what happens here". I've never once thought this would bomb.

Prisoner

I'm not a comic book fan but I've seen most of the Marvel Studios films and GotG is easily the best of them. GotG 2 can't come soon enough.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm honestly shocked people thought this movie would do bad.

After Avengers, most Marvel movies were guaranteed to do well no matter what. Then add the fact they cast some pretty big names, it takes place in space and is full of humour, has two huge mascots in Groot and Rocket and the movie was always going to be a success.

Persona7

Banned
I never even heard of this movie before seeing this thread today but I am also not interested in marvel or any superhero movies so I doubt I will ever see this. It is cool to see properties that are not well known do well though.

y2dvd

I never even heard of this movie before seeing this thread today but I am also not interested in marvel or any superhero movies so I doubt I will ever see this. It is cool to see properties that are not well known do well though.

I wouldn't even call this a superhero flick. It's just a space opera adventure that was made by Marvel Studios.

gosox333

I'm honestly shocked people thought this movie would do bad.

After Avengers, most Marvel movies were guaranteed to do well no matter what. Then add the fact they cast some pretty big names, it takes place in space and is full of humour, has two huge mascots in Groot and Rocket and the movie was always going to be a success.

Sure it had a lot going for it, but it's not hard to see why people doubted this at the start.

10 years ago comics people would've laughed in your face if you told them a GoTG movie was one of 2014's biggest.

First time I was ever on a list like this. Lol. I though the movie was great. Although I'm not sure I should eat crow, because I never said the movie would bomb, I just said I personally had a hard time taking a talking raccoon seriously. And as cool as Rocket was, I'm still having a hard time picturing him talking to Tony Stark.

Dali

That's not even the right version

at2OLtT.jpg
I actually own that issue. No idea why but I went on a guardians kick.

I haven't said anything negative about the movie. But i'll eat some crow anyways because i would have never guessed it would do that good.
You and me both... I had similar opinions to many of those quoted in the OP. Crow or not, the lady boss and I are going to see it Tuesday.

Tobor

First time I was ever on a list like this. Lol. I though the movie was great. Although I'm not sure I should eat crow, because I never said the movie would bomb, I just said I personally had a hard time taking a talking raccoon seriously. And as cool as Rocket was, I'm still having a hard time picturing him talking to Tony Stark.

Tony has talked to the Norse God of Thunder, a 1940's world war 2 hero frozen in ice, and a scientist/giant green monster. He's fought aliens from outer space, and flown in his suit through a space portal opened by a magic stone.

All of this, and you can't picture him talking to a genetically modified raccoon?

Wazzy

Banned
Sure it had a lot going for it, but it's not hard to see why people doubted this at the start.

10 years ago comics people would've laughed in your face if you told them a GoTG movie was one of 2014's biggest.

Yeah but 10 years ago they would have done the same about an Avengers movie.

The reason it's baffling anyone would doubt the success is because the Marvel brand became huge starting at Iron Man and then even bigger when Avengers hit. There was no way this movie was going to fail. It doesn't matter how weird the movie sounded, it was always going to be so wacky that people would love it. Anyone complaining about Rocket Raccoon ignored the fact he is extremely marketable.

Even Ant Man isn't going to bomb. It might not be received as well but there's no way Marvel movies are bombing at this point. Once the hype dies, then I can see why someone might think future films will.

BadAss2961

Marvel could even make a terrible crap like Thor 2 do great numbers. That's the power of their marketing. Good to see it was used for a good and risky movie here though.
The marketing is one thing, but I wonder how is it that none of their bad movies get panned by critics.

Popstar

Thanks! Very interesting about the Marvel project. So I wonder if then Gunn looked among the concepts out there and picked this? Seems likely. Or did Marvel say we want to do GotG and found Gunn?
Marvel liked the GotG script and found a director for it. There were multiple directors in the running and Gunn got the job.

If Gunn had gotten to choose his own project from Marvel's properties he wanted to do Hit-Monkey.

The marketing is one thing, but I wonder how is it that none of their bad movies get panned by critics.
I think it's because those movies aren't nearly as hyperbolically bad as some on the internet would like people to believe. I'd say all of them are pretty damn entertaining with the Hulk being the only exception to an extent. Even that movie is OK, just not great.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Have you been in a cave?

EBE

just returned from the theater. i dont know comics but the movie really bored me. found it mediocre at best. i probably wont watch it again.

Are you kidding? Tony talking to Rocket should be awesome. Stark arguing with a raccoon will be funny, and then trying to reason with Groot after.
And I want to see Cap and Rocket strategizing together.

Dalek

I think it's because those movies aren't nearly as hyperbolically bad as some on the internet would like people to believe. I'd say all of them are pretty damn entertaining with the Hulk being the only exception to an extent. Even that movie is OK, just not great.

With the way some people carry on, you'd think Thor 2 was the equilivent of genocide.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

guardians-of-the-galaxy-marvel-now-4-rocket-racoon-dick.jpg

Jackson

just returned from the theater. i dont know comics but the movie really bored me. found it mediocre at best. i probably wont watch it again.

Yeah saw it... Didn't gel with me. People saying it's the next Star Wars are nuts.

LX_Theo

Banned
Some of those quotes didn't even say anything about how good it was. Some of them seriously just sound like people who never heard of it before wondering what it was when it was announced. I feel as though putting their quotes in this is just being a dick.

Lots of Crow. Movie was really entertaining... But it really bothered me that there was almost absolutely zero backstory given for most of the villians. I have never read the comics so.

ReiGun

You're proving otherwise.

Proving that I haven't watched a lot of movies, or that film quality is an objective thing?

Because there's no way to read the former into anything I've said, unless you honestly think my thinking Thor 2 is bad means it's like, the 20th film I've seen. In which case, I suppose there's nothing more to say as you clearly aren't interested in discussing my opinion (which is fine, btw). As for the latter, if you can show me a completely objective way to judge a film as good or bad, I'd love to see it.

Dalek

Proving that I haven't watched a lot of movies, or that film quality is an objective thing?

Because there's no way to read the former into anything I've said, unless you honestly think my thinking Thor 2 is bad means it's like, the 20th film I've seen. In which case, I suppose there's nothing more to say as you clearly aren't interested in discussing my opinion (which is fine, btw). As for the latter, if you can show me a completely objective way to judge a film as good or bad, I'd love to see it.

I realize this is the internet where hyperbole is king-but film quality isn't binary. Just because something isn't Lawrence of Arabia doesn't mean it's Dude Where's My Car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom