• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to eat crow regarding "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

When I said drought, I wasn't referring to people liking or disliking a movie based on that. As to critical ratings, they do have an impact but it's pretty nebulous. Before Guardians, there are only three movies this summer that were really well received, both critically and fan-wise, and also made serious money and they were; Winter Soldier, Godzilla, and Xmen. Winter Soldier hit in early April and Xmen in early May.

Dunno if you really want to group Godzilla in there. It had a great box office start but completely flatlined. It's been sitting at 199 million for 2 weeks now, but should cross it this weekend. It probably won't make much more, so it's a 200 million film with a 93 million opening weekend. Hardly a big winner. The RT is sitting at 73% (67% top critics) with 70% audience rating. I really wouldn't say that it was a "really well received" by critics and fans, nor that it made "serious money".

Jarmel

Banned
Dunno if you really want to group Godzilla in there. It had a great box office start but completely flatlined. It's been sitting at 199 million for 2 weeks now, but should cross it this weekend. It probably won't make much more, so it's a 200 million film with a 93 million opening weekend. Hardly a big winner. The RT is sitting at 73% (67% top critics) with 70% audience rating. I really wouldn't say that it was a "really well received" by critics and fans, nor that it made "serious money".

Well damn. Scratch that then. I sure as hell didn't like the film. Considering all the impressions and some of the early box office numbers, I thought for sure that it did much better. Guess not.

Risible

How invested in this movie do you have to be to take all that time collecting all those quotes and making a thread like this? It comes across as super petty and I'm surprised it's allowed honestly.

I wonder how much of a fight TMNT will put up.

Guessing TMNT still loses to Guardians in week 2. 50mil vs 40mil domestic.

Still though, a 40mil domestic take in mid-august isn't THAT bad, especially for a Turtles movie being eyed as skeptically as this one has been due to the kinda off-putting marketing, which has only recently gotten better at showing what the tone of the movie will ACTUALLY be, but might be too late to turn public opinion around

How invested in this movie do you have to be to take all that time collecting all those quotes and making a thread like this? It comes across as super petty and I'm surprised it's allowed honestly.

I kind of feel meh about threads like these but considering there was a bomb thread it's kind of deserved.

duckroll

Well damn. Scratch that then. I sure as hell didn't like the film. Considering all the impressions and some of the early box office numbers, I thought for sure that it did much better. Guess not.

You can replace it with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes though. Still sitting on 90% RT, and it looks poised to overtake Godzilla pretty soon. Sitting on 183 million now, still making a couple of million a day plus inflated weekends.

They're coming.

mOs4rAG.gif

Jesus Christ what is with Rafael's face? All their faces are so fucked up looking and unsettling.

To be fair, Pacific Rim didn't actually bomb. The rest of the world picked up America's slack enough to get a sequel going (as well as an animated series & a comic).

Yeah I know, but I thought besides some of creature/robot design, it was a terrible movie. I can let 4 year-olds smash robot/monster toys at each other in complete darkness, lit only by some discolights and get similar action. I'm not even going to talk about characters and dialogue.

I'm all for people taking personal responsibility for their posts. But this is some next level sad-ass shit.

Why would you want an echo chamber for a media announcement? Is that why you go to a discussion board? To hear everybody express the same sentiment over a Guardians of the Galaxy announcement?

Get something better to do with your life, bro. Collecting a handful of differing reactions to a Marvel movie franchise announcement is a cry for help.

EDIT: And a few of the people were right, the name "Guardians of the Galaxy" still doesn't ring true for mainstream audiences because it isn't a recognisable franchise.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I'm all for people taking personal responsibility for their posts. But this is some next level sad-ass shit.

Why would you want an echo chamber for a media announcement? Is that why you go to a discussion board? To hear everybody express the same sentiment over a Guardians of the Galaxy announcement?

Get something better to do with your life, bro. Collecting a handful of differing reactions to a Marvel movie franchise announcement is a cry for help.

yeah op struck me as a bit weird to be honest.

Jarmel

Banned

All of this is mostly in good fun. Nobody is getting paid for any of this. Besides we all should be happy that a scifi film is doing well critically and commercially.

I'll gladly eat crow in real life if it means we get great scifi properties that do well enough financially to support sequels. I'm fucking sick of fantasy IPs.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
My son and I are going to go see it soon. Great news about all the good reviews and good word of mouth! Looks like a blast!

Hagi

I'm not too well versed in box office threads but why doesn't worldwide numbers count for much? like you say Godzilla hasn't made serious money but just under 500 million seems serious to me especially for the type of film it is. Genuine question.

I'm glad this is doing well saw it Thursday night in the UK and absolutely loved it.

To be fair if the film didn't have Marvel's name and Disney's marketing it probably would have bombed.

nah. marvel and disney don't get you 90% ratings on rotten tomatoes. the film is legitimately good. Even if it wasn't MCU, it would still be a solid "cult hit" like district 9.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Guardians of the f*ckin' Galaxy beating Spider-Man is just an example of how wrong studios do Marvel properties. I mean hell, this is reaaaallly fringe Marvel stuff from the mainstream flagships. Its hilarious. Cant wait to see it next week.

Showaddy

The film in that case wouldn't have existed in the first place.

Which is why a lot of people were pretty convinced it would bomb, films like this don't exist for a reason.

I mean I was a huge fan of Abnett & Lanning's comic but if you'd have told me it would be getting a $170 million dollar movie I'd have laughed in your face, it's so obscure even most comic fans didn't know about it.

EDIT: And a few of the people were right, the name "Guardians of the Galaxy" still doesn't ring true for mainstream audiences because it isn't a recognisable franchise.

LOL. Spending 20 minutes compiling your bad predictions = no life!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
To be fair, after the first trailer was released I had zero doubt about Guardian's of the Galaxy becoming a financial success.

But going back and reading my posts in that first announcement thread..... yikes. I made a poor joke about Drax looking like Kratos, I'm sorry GAF.

Linsies

Ripped Chris Pratt won't appeal to a female audience? Yeah nah

Ohhh man. Ripped Chris Pratt... I could get 99 out of 100 of my friends to see this movie just using that scene alone. Then I could get them all to go back a second time based on the story.

duckroll

I'm not too well versed in box office threads but why doesn't worldwide numbers count for much? like you say Godzilla hasn't made serious money but just under 500 million seems serious to me especially for the type of film it is. Genuine question.

I'm glad this is doing well saw it Thursday night in the UK and absolutely loved it.

It's not that they don't count for much, it really depends on the context of the discussion. In this case, we're talking about a great opening weekend for GotG in the US, with no worldwide numbers, and this particular discussion is about possible reasons why it's doing so well (slow Summer, not many hits, low average critical reception, etc), most of it being US-centric factors.

LOL. Spending 20 minutes compiling your bad predictions = no life!

"I can't wait to go on a message board and trawl through multiple 10+ page threads to get differing opinions to something that was just released" is not really at the top of the priorities list for normal, healthy people.

FStop7

Banned
I was really skeptical of GotG. I knew what they were going for, but it's been tried before (Howard the Duck) and didn't end well. It's nice to see they got it right.

I bet somewhere out there Ben Browder is like "DUDE! This is what we were doing 15 years ago!" Maybe the success of GotG will help rekindle interest in Farscape.

Siegcram

"I can't wait to go on a message board and trawl through multiple 10+ page threads to get differing opinions to something that was just released" is not really at the top of the priorities list for normal, healthy people.
Where does "complaining about other people's internet habits on the internet" rank?

Lighten up man, jesus.

Bizazedo

And yet, the world is a better place for those people existing. He has brought the rest of us so much joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom