• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to eat crow regarding "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I can't wait to go on a message board and trawl through multiple 10+ page threads to get differing opinions to something that was just released" is not really at the top of the priorities list for normal, healthy people.
Participating in a thread talking to someone who did that and repeatedly pontificating at them with a holier than thou attitude while apparently failing to realize the absurdly pathetic hypocrisy is not normal or healthy, but it does make us laugh at you for being a total blowhard.

Cipherr

Did people not learn from the blue alien cat-people?

Nope I didnt anyway. Im a huge fan of Marvels movie universe so I couldn't be happier that I was wrong, but man oh man did I have a strong gut feeling this movie was going to bomb. I cant even express how surprised I am that its aiming at 90 million week one. Wowza.

numble

"I can't wait to go on a message board and trawl through multiple 10+ page threads to get differing opinions to something that was just released" is not really at the top of the priorities list for normal, healthy people.

How invested in this movie do you have to be to take all that time collecting all those quotes and making a thread like this? It comes across as super petty and I'm surprised it's allowed honestly.

Post in more threads about what normal, healthy people should be starting threads about.

Linsies

Yeah, I was at an HEB and saw a kid walking with his mom, the mom said, "Do you want an action figure from the new ninja turtles movie?" and the kid said: "No, they look gross"

That's exactly how my kids (5 and 6) feel. We are taking them to see the movie but they'd much rather have the cartoon ones than the movie ones because they are cute. Yesterday we went to get some more Guardians of the Galaxy toys and we told them they would have to get Ninja Turtles movie toys instead if they were bad.

So I guess this means there is no chance this endless stream of shitty comic book movies will ever stop? Great.

I think it was Andy Greenwald that said it best, There's always gonna be huge budget, special effects driven blockbusters every summer... Is it really a big deal if one or two of those are Marvel? (Paraphrasing)

Participating in a thread talking to someone who did that and repeatedly pontificating at them with a holier than thou attitude while apparently failing to realize the absurdly pathetic hypocrisy is not normal or healthy, but it does make us laugh at you for being a total blowhard.

Hold on, let me go through multiple posts and threads and quote and paste supporting evidence.

Wait, can't do it, it detracts from my tiny browser thread window being more of a priority than what my main focus is on while I type all of the aforementioned before I close my browser in 2 minutes and gooo dooo something mooore importaaaant.

I think it was Andy Greenwald that said it best, There's always gonna be huge budget, special effects driven blockbusters every summer... Is it really a big deal if one or two of those are Marvel? (Paraphrasing)
Yes because me and gutshot only watch Danish art house films. If marvel stops making movies then all of that money will go to true art.

Linsies

I agree. At least Marvel is putting out some good films lately. Hating on a movie for being a "comic book movie" makes no sense to me. Now, if it's a comic book movie and is actually shitty, go for it.

Hold on, let me go through multiple posts and threads and quote and paste supporting evidence.

Wait, can't do it, it detracts from my tiny browser thread window being more of a priority than what my main focus is on while I type all of the aforementioned before I close my browser in 2 minutes and gooo dooo something mooore importaaaant.
At least try to be amusing when back pedaling. Pls

jett

D-Member
At this rate Marvel can just make whatever they want.

So I guess this means there is no chance this endless stream of shitty comic book movies will ever stop? Great.

The well will dry up one day, but not for the foreseeable future. Or who knows, audiences seem to have an endless appetite for these things.

Toxi

Banned
I was expecting it to do well. They've marketed this everywhere and I've seen lots of interest.

I wasn't expecting it to do this well.
300802d1360010756-surveyor-tim-pitts-not-recommended-eat-crow.jpg
Damn you Zapdos.

Wait, can't do it,

I can. Only had to go one page back:

I'm all for people taking personal responsibility for their posts.

Apparently this is not true.

Look, the stakes here aren't that high. At all. All that's on the line are people being called out for the crime of Being Wrong About a Movie on the Internet. That's it. I don't know if that's good cause to be worried about legitimate embarrassment and shame on either side.

This isn't some Eight Bit Nate shit, after all.

The well will dry up one day, but not for the foreseeable future. Or who knows, audiences seem to have an endless appetite for these things.

the thing that makes it tough to predict when it will end, is that overseas audiences LOVE blockbuster films- they translate well into just about any market. Shit blows up, people cheer.

Even if the US audience goes a bit lukewarm toward these films and burnout sets in, the overseas market is going to ensure they stay profitable for a good long while.

So, if you make Zoe Saldana a bright, unnatural color, your movie will be a hit?

I need a bucket of purple paint, a script, and Ms Saldana's agent, now!

StoopKid

Watch fantastic four ruin the good run comic movies are having.

Best thread ever. I never had any doubt about the Guardians and it even went above my expectations even when they were high. Thank you Marvel for giving us another great movie!

Don't know why so many thought it would bomb, at this point Marvel could film RDJ struggling for two hours to take a dump and it would slay everything at the box office on release. The fact that it's apparently a great movie and seemingly the best critically received blockbuster of the summer is going to give it legs.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Don't know why so many thought it would bomb, at this point Marvel could film RDJ struggling for two hours to take a dump and it would slay everything at the box office on release. The fact that it's apparently a great movie and seemingly the best critically received blockbuster of the summer is going to give it legs.

Marvel's PorcelainMan.

I'd watch that.

So, if you make Zoe Saldana a bright, unnatural color, your movie will be a hit?

I need a bucket of purple paint, a script, and Ms Saldana's agent, now!

Gotta be PG-13, though, Jazz. No NC-17 for you!

duckroll

Apparently if you didn't think this movie was going to be the best movie ever made and dared to say so, you now have to eat crow.

Yes because the only possible reactions to anything is either to think it will be the best movie ever made, or that it's "going to be the first Marvel movie to bomb, or at least come in way under normal Marvel money". Only extremes. Am I right?

Daingurse

Damn, good on Guardians! I heard this might go the way of Godzilla, opening much higher than projected. Marvel took one of their most niche properties, and made it appealing to the mainstream. Impressive.

pants

Yes because the only possible reactions to anything is either to think it will be the best movie ever made, or that it's "going to be the first Marvel movie to bomb, or at least come in way under normal Marvel money". Only extremes. Am I right?

Oh look at all these people and their opinions! Especially ones they held onto so lightly that they just called is a suspicion!

The whole idea of eating crow is that I took a strong position to start with.

duckroll

Oh look at all these people and their opinions! Especially ones they held onto so lightly that they just called is a suspicion!

The whole idea of eating crow is that I took a strong position to start with.

You sound upset. Maybe you should go ly dow.

I was wrong. I thought this was some supreme nerd shit reminicent of a bad 90s sci fi blockbuster; all it was missing was a Will Smith song.

As I said a few days ago, I nixed plans to argue Ant Man was going to bomb. Clearly Marvel knows what they're doing...

First James Cameron, now James Gunn...he picks 'em and the reverse happens...Phoenix Dark...more like Konex Dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom