• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder (i.e., OkCupid meets Hot or Not)

http://www.ryot.org/tinder-bender/58918

For those single and ready to mingle, but too lazy to create an elaborate online profile (or to ask a real-live person out on a real date), have no fear: there’s an app for that! Introducing “Tinder”: an app that facilitates match-making through your smart phone. It’s quite possibly the most instantly gratifying, shallow, creepy, hilarious, and easiest way to meet singles in your area.

The way it works is this: you download the app and sign in using your Facebook credentials, which Tinder then uses to generate a page consisting of a profile picture (plus 3 additional photos of your choice), your age, and your location. You designate a match preference, i.e. male searching for a female, female searching for a male, male searching male, etc. (it’s gay friendly!). Additionally, you get to see if you share mutual friends or interests with other users.

Using this information, Tinder generates a collection of singles within 50 miles of your location.

~And so the game begins~

Users scan through a seemingly endless stream of pictures, moving onto each one by designating whether or not the person in the picture is worth reaching out to. If you like what you see, you click a green heart, indicating a “like.” If you’re not interested, click the red X, and you never see or hear from this person again.

Then, you wait.

If someone you liked LIKES YOU BACK (!!!!!!!) then Tinder notifies you and you’re invited to start chatting.

Has anyone tried this? I can't tell if it's genius (cuts all the crap out of online dating) or just one more tool in the stalker's toolbox.

border

Not sure how I feel about this.

I think the biggest lie people tell themselves about online dating is that people aren't just immediately looking at the photos and tossing the profile in the garbage if they don't like what they see. They want to believe that their cute or charming personality will shine through in their profile, and they'll win over people. This kinda removes that illusion.....which is probably helpful.

XenodudeX

sounds like a great way to make people with low self esteem because of their looks feel even worse about themselves.

image.php

ivysaur12

Banned
sounds like a great way to make people with low self esteem because of their looks feel even worse about themselves.

You actually never know if you're rejected, which is the best thing about, honestly.

There's still a ton of bugs in the app, but I'm a fan. The blind "hot or not" aspect is pretty genius, as is linking through facebook to see mutual friends. (It's also a much less creepy and less sex-conscious version of Grindr, which is nice. All my straight friends are happy they "have an app now too!")

Hmmm I might try it later on after work thanks for the heads up OP. Incidentally, I have been seeing an uptick of more girls on okcupid looking more for sex than relationships. Women building ther careers that do not want anything serious.

Few of my friends use it, though none of them ever got passed messaging them. Not sure if there are a lot of fake accounts or not but in NYC there are a lot of super hot girls on this app, damn.

Rookje

Pretty cool. I fucking hate messaging on OKCupid.

Sucks I can't just add whatever photos I want though, you *have* to use Facebook.

IceCold

Few of my friends use it, though none of them ever got passed messaging them. Not sure if there are a lot of fake accounts or not but in NYC there are a lot of super hot girls on this app, damn.

Same here. Most chicks use it to boost their ego.

Did this for a while but only got one date out of it. Girl was kind of crazy though so that's how it went. Got bored because of the limited selection about a year ago though.

Mesoian

My roommate uses it a lot. I have it on my phone, but I haven't been serious enough about finding an SO that I've had course to use it.

It works well though.

ivysaur12

Banned
So if I use this, can my friends see that I'm using it?

If you go to their Facebook page, you can see which of your friends are using it. But so many people are using it, it's a moot point.

I've gotten a lot of dates from Tinder. It's good stuff. I feel so bad for the girls who haven't realized they put themselves as Men looking for Men.

SeanR1221

I suggested this in the ok Cupid thread a while ago. My friends have had tons of success with this app. One had a new date every weekend. Works way faster than your typical dating app.

Online dating is a total wash and I question if it is better than simply meeting people in social venues. Sites like okcupid are full of bots and full of people looking to fluff their egos. Then you're left with the socially inept, the overweight, and people that made bad life decisions and ended up with multiple children at the ripe old age of 22. I've never really cared for any type of online dating site or app.

Mesoian

Online dating is a total wash and I question if it is better than simply meeting people in social venues. Sites like okcupid are full of bots and full of people looking to fluff their egos. Then you're left with the socially inept, the overweight, and people that made bad life decisions and ended up with multiple children at the ripe old age of 22. I've never really cared for any type of online dating site or app.

Which is why you use this app, agree to meet up at a social venue, and if nothing happens, you're still in a place primed to meet new people.

Use it as a tool, not a crutch.

SeanR1221

You sound bitter as fuck.

.GqueB.

Banned

It could go either way really. There are pros and cons.

I do think that online dating is having a really negative affect on us overall. It can hurt egos, lower self-esteem, completely change our expectations by making them unrealistically high. It makes dating more of a thing to do than a really chance to meet someone.

I feel like dating has become so hard because it has become so easy. There's no real reason to "try" anymore since you can actually schedule another date with someone else while you're on one currently. I remember back in the day, dates actually mattered because there wasn't someone else waiting in the wings just in case this kind of didn't work out immediately.

Dylan

Why do you have to choose one or the other? It's just another way to meet people. There are assholes everywhere, including online or at face-to-face social gatherings.

I completely disagree.

You're speaking from your limited perspective. Many people have gotten married from online relationships.

Of course I'm speaking from my perspective. I never said I wasn't. And from my perspective, everything I stated still remains true.

I don't agree with you, GqueB. Not in the least. There have always been people waiting in the wings if you're moderately attractive. I'll agree that online dating has made it easier for people to date more people at one time, but that's always begin the case with good looking people to begin with. I think the bigger issue that a lot of people view any type of relationship as a joke with limited value. Not just dating, but friendship and marriage as well.

Dylan

I remember back in the day, dates actually mattered because there wasn't someone else waiting in the wings just in case this kind of didn't work out immediately.

You had so few people to date that you had to try harder? I would never want to go back to this. The bigger the pool of people I choose from, the better chance of finding someone I'm compatible with.

Think of couples in small towns who get married simply because they had to choose between 3 or 4 people they weren't directly related to, and end up hating the rest of their lives.

dan2026

Might try it.

Had no real luck so far with other online dating sites.

Can't go any worse.

I suggested this in the ok Cupid thread a while ago. My friends have had tons of success with this app. One had a new date every weekend. Works way faster than your typical dating app.

Is it really that good? A new date every weekend? God.

Dylan

Anyhoo, I'm still waiting for the online dating site that is much closer to a message board, where it forces you to interact with both men and women.

If GAF gets heated over video game consoles, imagine the flame wars that would ensue if people's sex lives are on the line. Aww yee. Bring that ish on.

entremet

Of course I'm speaking from my perspective. I never said I wasn't. And from my perspective, everything I stated still remains true.

I don't agree with you, GqueB. Not in the least. There have always been people waiting in the wings if you're moderately attractive. I'll agree that online dating has made it easier for people to date people at one time, but that's always begin the case with good looking people to begin with. I think the bigger issue that a lot of people view any type of relationship as a joke with limited value. Not just dating, but friendship and marriage as well.

But you're coming as authoritative on the subject of online dating, when you can say the same thing about dating in general, which is a numbers game many times. It's not uncommon to go through many dates before even finding someone of interest.

Top Bottom