• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder (i.e., OkCupid meets Hot or Not)

.GqueB.

Banned
You had so few people to date that you had to try harder? I would never want to go back to this. The bigger the pool of people I choose from, the better chance of finding someone I'm compatible with.

Think of couples in small towns who get married simply because they had to choose between 3 or 4 people they weren't directly related to, and end up hating the rest of their lives.

Not even "try harder". Just try. Dates barely matter these days because the whole process is so easy to treat flippantly. I've been on and off okcupid for years (due to a long term relationship) and I always see the same people on there time after time. It's a shitty process. Having a giant pool of people to choose from doesn't make the situation better. If that were the case then everyone would be with someone and happy which definitely isn't the case. Sometimes an abundance of choice isn't a good thing.

Of course I'm speaking from my perspective. I never said I wasn't. And from my perspective, everything I stated still remains true.

I don't agree with you, GqueB. Not in the least. There have always been people waiting in the wings if you're moderately attractive. I'll agree that online dating has made it easier for people to date more people at one time, but that's always begin the case with good looking people to begin with. I think the bigger issue that a lot of people view any type of relationship as a joke with limited value. Not just dating, but friendship and marriage as well.

Why are we talking exclusively about good looking people? What does that matter? And good looking doesn't always translate into dates. Those good looking people can be shy, awkward, unconfident in themselves etc etc. Life isn't a movie where are the good looking people are perfect and sought after.

dan2026

Yup. He's a pretty competent guy though. Never creepy, very calm and confident.

I like to think I am mostly.

But all the dialogue's I've entered with on dating sites, even though they go well ( or seen to), actually getting a date is like getting blood from a stone.

Not even "try harder". Just try. Dates barely matter these days because the whole process is so easy to treat flippantly. I've been on and off okcupid for years (due to a long term relationship) and I always see the same people on there time after time. It's a shitty process. Having a giant pool of people to choose from doesn't make the situation better. If that were the case then everyone would be with someone and happy which definitely isn't the case. Sometimes an abundance of choice isn't a good thing.

As I said before, this is a huge issue with society on the whole. A lot of people treat EVERY type of relationship flippantly. Marriage, friendship, dating, etc. There's no such thing as salvaging a relationship anymore.

Dylan

I'm trying to get where you're coming from but I honestly don't understand your logic. I don't think most (mature) people date just for the sake of dating. We're all looking to find someone that's right for us. Having less people to choose from isn't going to guarantee that those few people are better suited as partners.

If you're seeing the same people on dating sites, that could mean either that they are really incompatible, or they are really picky (or they forgot to delete their profile). But if they were given less choice that doesn't necessarily mean they'd have found someone, in fact they might simply be alone forever.

SeanR1221

I like to think I am mostly.

But all the dialogue's I've entered with on dating sites, even though they go well ( or seen to), actually getting a date is like getting blood from a stone.

I asked how he started conversations, and it was usually just "Hey I'm ___". After some casual talking for a couple days he'd ask to grab a drink after work during the week

.GqueB.

Banned
I'm trying to get where you're coming from but I honestly don't understand your logic. I don't think most (mature) people date just for the sake of dating. We're all looking to find someone that's right for us. Having less people to choose from isn't going to guarantee that those few people are better suited as partners.

If you're seeing the same people on dating sites, that could mean either that they are really incompatible, or they are really picky (or they forgot to delete their profile). But if they were given less choice that doesn't necessarily mean they'd have found someone, in fact they might simply be alone forever.

We just have different experiences with this is all. Fair enough.

I want a dating site for nerdy people. I want a female who enjoys some good gaming sessions

Just try searching for "games" and "gaming" on okc. You're probably going to get a lot of profiles saying things like "I don't like to play games" (dumbest statement ever) but you may come across a few nerds.

mantidor

I've always been curious, but it forces you to share your facebook profile pic? nope, I don't even use a real pic of me.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I've had 0 luck with this thing, despite having an alright amount of "matches" they either go silent fast or never respond in the first place.

So I was turned off by it at first, but it is kinda addictive. Also, I have talked to a few girls and even went on a date from it.

Here's the best thing that Tinder has over OKC-

It limits the amount of rejection you have to deal with. On OkCupid, you can spend a lot of time crafting a nice message to a girl you are attracted to, and then receive no response. With Tinder, before you even can message a girl, she has picked you as well so you know that she has some sort of interest, increasing the chances of her responding.

dan2026

I asked how he started conversations, and it was usually just "Hey I'm ___". After some casual talking for a couple days he'd ask to grab a drink after work during the week

Basically my strategy, although I try to be most creative with the first message.
It's tough to get a first response.

But it seems getting an actual date is even harder.
Everything is cool while chatting, but suggesting we actually meet up seems to scare them off.

.GqueB.

Banned
Basically my strategy, although I try to be most creative with the first message.

Everything is cool while chatting, but suggesting we actually meet up seems to scare them off.

I always suggest that within the first few messages. Just point out the fact that talking on the site is a giant waste of time (because it is). I say if it scares them off then they probably weren't worth the time.

SeanR1221

I guess you just gotta keep going and learn from your mistakes or just chalk it up as they weren't interested. He may have had a lot of dates but who knows how many girls he was talking to. I know he had tons of matches.

Mesoian

The thing that you have to do to get the most out of this, though, is cultivate your facebook photo gallery. I use twitter way more than facebook, so all my photos that show that I don't stay in my basement hiding from the world are there, and thus non-accessible by Tinder. So it's pretty easy to limit yourself if facebook isn't your primary weapon of choice.

Misterhbk

Used it to success a few times. Most matches end up being nothing more than boring conversation. I've gone out with a few people off there and hooked up with a few. Its generally no different than any other dating site or picking someone up at a bar.

Dylan

I haven't used it yet (gonna try it out later), but what's up with it being Facebook specific? I'm guessing they are cutting bandwidth costs by not actually hosting any images, and just directly pulling from Facebook's servers?

That's totally lame; I'd rather not link a sketchy dating site with my Facebook account.

This game is nothing more than a quick time waster. I never actually met up with anyone, just either trolled or had typical conversations. Most girls don't even respond to your messages after you get a match....though I do have success with the "sup girl" line from time to time. I got a few numbers but nothing lead to anything after.

If you guys need any help check out the tinder thread on the MISC. Funny shit

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153315441&page=1

subrock

Too many dopey looking WA college girls in my area. Ended up only saying yes to half a dozen. This would probably be more fun if I was 20.

dan2026

I always suggest that within the first few messages. Just point out the fact that talking on the site is a giant waste of time (because it is). I say if it scares them off then they probably weren't worth the time.

I guess you just gotta keep going and learn from your mistakes or just chalk it up as they weren't interested. He may have had a lot of dates but who knows how many girls he was talking to. I know he had tons of matches.

Thanks guys.

Just got to keep trying I guess.

Lets see if I have any luck with Tinder.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Hooking up with girls on Tinder seems way easier than OKC. Pulling random photos from facebook could be an issue though since I have a lot of dumb and group pictures on there. Lez do this.

Mesoian

Hooking up with girls on Tinder seems way easier than OKC. Pulling random photos from facebook could be an issue though since I have a lot of dumb and group pictures on there. Lez do this.

Hey, on my profile, it pulled down my avatar, which is the same one for here, and a picture of me turned to the side from 5 years ago. I still got matches.

Had a friend tell me about this recently. He uses it and has gotten laid several times already off of it. Seems pretty genius IMO.

dan2026

Bwahahahaha, I blew through all the recommendations near me in like five minutes.

Don't think many people near me are using it.

Edit : Now its found a few more, not that close though.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Downloaded the app 10 minutes ago and have two conversations so far. Bless you tinder! I kind of feel bad because I have been spending some time with a girl in one of my classes and I hate to lead people on but...eh.

entremet

There is actually research done on the paradox of choice.

NYC is good example. Tons of single people and it is exacerbated because the abundance of choices mean people are less prone to accept good enough, hence more people stay single!

Okcupid already has this functionality, but forcing people to use it as the only means of interaction is pretty ingenious.

Can't.... stop.... rating...

I keep swiping actually attractive/cute girls to the left on accident.

I do like that this seems much more "realistic" than the other dating sites.
"You're attractive, you find me attractive, okay, thats done, lets actually talk and learn about each-other now"

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Yeap. People on OKC base things on looks anyways so what's the point of profiles. I am faaaaaaaaar too picky, but since I don't care enough, it's not a big deal.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Online dating is a total wash and I question if it is better than simply meeting people in social venues. Sites like okcupid are full of bots and full of people looking to fluff their egos. Then you're left with the socially inept, the overweight, and people that made bad life decisions and ended up with multiple children at the ripe old age of 22. I've never really cared for any type of online dating site or app.
Yeah I have no idea why you would have a hard time meeting people online either.

Ixion

I banged 3 out of the 9 chicks I met from this. Was on it last month. Taking a break from it now, since it got exhausting after a while.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Having a giant pool of people to choose from doesn't make the situation better. If that were the case then everyone would be with someone and happy which definitely isn't the case. Sometimes an abundance of choice isn't a good thing.

While online dating does have its perks, this right here is what I think is wrong with online dating. It's the whole, "he/she is a pretty good match, but could I do better? Certainly I could since there are still hundreds of other singles with similar interests in my area."

Trying to find the best match isn't a problem (who doesn't want the best?) but it does make dates more disposable.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
While online dating does have its perks, this right here is what I think is wrong with online dating. It's the whole, "he/she is a pretty good match, but could I do better? Certainly I could since there are still hundreds of other singles with similar interests in my area."

Trying to find the best match isn't a problem (who doesn't want the best?) but it does make dates more disposable.

It's the best match who is also the best looking. Another issue is that females get overwhelmed with messages from every schlub on the site, which can bury the messages they may want to actually read. I looked at a couple of my female friends inbox's and was shocked haha.

Tarsul

Is it popular in other countries as well? Like Germany?

I really wish we had something like OKCupid here...

.GqueB.

Banned

"Disposable" is a damn good word. That's how I feel about online dating pretty much.

True, but isn't this also a good thing? Chemistry and attraction will make two people stick together no matter what. If someone's still looking for something else, she's just not that into you, bro.

IceCold

I keep swiping actually attractive/cute girls to the left on accident.

I do like that this seems much more "realistic" than the other dating sites.
"You're attractive, you find me attractive, okay, thats done, lets actually talk and learn about each-other now"

More like: you're attractive, you find me attractive, lets fuck. That's really the whole point. Like grinder.

ZaCH3000

I use this app occasionally. It's fun because I always match up but it's bullshit because I feel like you have to start the conversation with an outrageous comment to actually generate interest.

dan2026

Ugh just rated about 500 people. Or at least it feels like it.

Now to wait and see if I get anything back.

Going to feel a bit crushed if I don't.

There are some very good looking woman out here in Denver. Too bad I look like such a goofball in every one of my facebook pictures

Top Bottom