• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiny Brains |OT| PS4/PC 4p Co-op Action Puzzle Solving

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Made by Spearhead Games.

tiny_brains_posterxooha.jpg

tbpiccuaij.jpg

Platforms

PS4/PC

Release

There will be a PS4 demo at launch.
PS4 December 3 (US). 20% discount for PS+. December 11 (EUR). Discount for Plus Members at launch.
PC (Steamworks) December 18. 30% discount for pre-release.

What is Tiny Brains?
"Tiny Brains" is a cooperative action puzzler that follows four super-powered lab animals in their attempt to escape a mad scientist's experiments. In this joyously chaotic multiplayer game, the four "Tiny Brains" must combine their unique physics-based powers to navigate through a trick-ridden maze.

Tiny Brains is the brainchild of AAA veterans-turned-indie-developers Simon Darveau (design director on Assassin’s Creed III naval battles) and Malik Boukhira (game designer on Assassin’s Creed II and Dead Space 3).  With local and online drop-in/drop-out multiplayer, a full co-op campaign and additional challenge and competitive modes, Tiny Brains is a truly social, next generation title

Key Gameplay Features

Cooperative Gaming: Tiny Brains requires players to collaborate and put their heads together to overcome physics-based obstacles. With each player controlling a different superpower – Create, Force, Vortex and Teleport – the Tiny Brains must work as a team to move forward and escape the scientist’s deadly labyrinth of mazes.

Play It Your Way: All of the puzzles in Tiny Brains can be solved multiple ways depending on how groups combine their powers. The co-op level design creates dynamic, emergent gameplay, whether advancing through the campaign mode, beating time-based challenges, or competing in endless levels.

Whimsical World: To escape the mad scientist’s lair, players explore a colorful world of Popsicle stick-like ice pops, duct tape, tiny cages and Rube Goldberg machines. The zany art style gives rise to a slew of slightly mutated, yet oddly cute, playable characters.

Hardcore to Casual: Tiny Brains eggs on hardcore gamers with competitive leaderboards and fast-paced communicative play, challenging them to combine their powers as efficiently as possible. At the same time, the game has simple controls and physics-based mechanics that make it easy for casual and less-experienced gamers to jump right in.

Modes

Taken from this preview
In addition to the story campaign, Tiny Brains also has four other modes: Tiny Challenges, Tiny Soccer, Tiny Trolls, and Jules Mode. We got to also play Tiny Challenges and Tiny Soccer. Tiny Challenges replicates the same kind of challenges seen in the story mode, but with a score factor. We played a couple of the Ball Challenges where we had to get the red ball as far as possible. Our distance with tracked in centimeters, and as we kept going, it kept getting more and more difficult with more gaps that the ball could fall through. The Ball Challenges are procedurally generated, so they’re infinite. Other challenges include Combat Challenges (where players have to protect the pink chick as long as possible from the evil chicks) and Puzzle Challenges (where players are tasked with solving a puzzle as quickly as possible). Tiny Challenges will come complete with leaderboards, so players will be able to do the challenges over and over to try to beat their friends’ (or top players’) high scores. I was told that about half of the challenges will come unlocked without completing any of the story mode, while the remaining challenges will unlock as players progress through story mode and acquire collectibles.

Tiny Soccer was the last mode we got to see. It was a player-vs.-player (PVP) mode, and was actually quite fun. In Tiny Soccer, players are divided into two teams. Each character gets all four powers and players get a set time to score as many goals as possible against the other team. It’s hilarious chaos as the ball keeps getting swapped around and pushed down one side of the field, only to get pulled or swapped back. We ended up with a dev team vs. a reporter team and we ended up in utter ties three times in a row. Again, I think this mode would be great for a party game.

Where can I buy?

US PSN/SEN
Steam
Amazon (PS4 CODE)

Multi-player

Local co op up 4 players.
Drop in/drop out 4 player online co op.
Combo co op? Mix 1-3 players and play online?

Links

Tiny Brains PS Blog Post.

Tiny Brains PlayStation "Hub"

Trailer

Screenshots

ps4-game-7827_mid_imgiszex.jpg

ps4-game-7827_mid_imgzcas8.jpg

ps4-game-7827_mid_imgoax76.jpg

ps4-game-7827_mid_imgara3y.jpg

ps4-game-7827_mid_imgsxa53.jpg

Extras

PlayStation Move compatible
ps-move-logo8fdvg.jpg

NEW-Tiny-Brains-One-Pager-v2-edits.jpg

Buying this game day one ! It looks like a blast in multiplayer, kind of game that rarely comes out these days of online everything... I'll play this one with the wife, she'll love it !

And it's made by my people from Montreal !!!

VanWinkle

Really looking forward to this. Already have three friends that live close to me with DualShock 4's, so we are ready to go for some four player local co-op. :D

LiquidMetal14

Really looking forward to this. Already have three friends that live close to me with DualShock 4's, so we are ready to go for some four player local co-op. :D
If it works like Super Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battlecars then that means taking local players online. So you and a friend can hop online on the same console.

What is the price? For Plus members since it says it has a discount. Everything is blocked at work...

Should be 10% off. At least that's what the articles I've read said. So 17.99?

It definitely looks worth it in my eyes. Especially with the local/online co-op features.

I've got a question about this game and its couch co-op. I only have two Dual-Shock 4s, but I also have a Vita. Do we know if I can put a player behind all three of those devices and play together locally?

****EDIT****

Did some research and found this in the comments on one of the PS Blog posts about the game.

Remote Play works with Tiny Brains :)
Particularly useful for a couch coop session if you’re missing a Dualshock4.
On the subject, Playstation Move can also be used as alternate controller for the game. Not the motion aspect, but the analogue stick and buttons work just fine!

Think we could throw this in the OP?

VanWinkle

If it works like Super Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battlecars then that means taking local players online. So you and a friend can hop online on the same console.

Yeah, and that's cool, but we are all four of us playing locally and having a blast together. Still, it's nice to know that it has online co-op for when they aren't around.

Should be 10% off. At least that's what the articles I've read said. So 17.99?

It definitely looks worth it in my eyes. Especially with the local/online co-op features.

Mmmm for $10 I would pull the trigger no questions asked. For $18 I'm gonna need a demo.

LiquidMetal14

I've got a question about this game and its couch co-op. I only have two Dual-Shock 4s, but I also have a Vita. Do we know if I can put a player behind all three of those devices and play together locally?

****EDIT****

Did some research and found this in the comments on one of the PS Blog posts about the game.

Think we could throw this in the OP?
Yes, and thank you.

Yeah, and that's cool, but we are all four of us playing locally and having a blast together. Still, it's nice to know that it has online co-op for when they aren't around.
Absolutely. Definitely been hyped for this ever since it was announced.

Mmmm for $10 I would pull the trigger no questions asked. For $18 I'm gonna need a demo.
I get you there. I'm the same. This game just looks like it's worth it based on the research I've done. Maybe some PS4 streams might help. Will probably stream this day 1 for those who want to see.

Petrie

Banned

$18 definitely isn't enough discount for me. Downloadable price creep is getting out of hand.

Especially since it looks like a definite PS+ title down the road.

LiquidMetal14

$18 definitely isn't enough discount for me. Downloadable price creep is getting out of hand.

Especially since it looks like a definite PS+ title down the road.
I agree and have that same rule but ths looks as solid as a new 15-20 dollar game gets. People spend 60 dollars anually on CoD but I'm not ine of those.

Pastry

Banned
I'm really interested in this game but I'm going to rely on GAF as my multiplayer partners since I don't have any extra controllers and no one to play it with.

Captain N

yup. sorry guys! The code did work and i totally forgot to post the stream link in here. the dev was in the stream and everything.

LiquidMetal14

Any one play it yet? Wife really wants something close to LBP, hopefully its somewhat close?

Minus the create part it's a great party type game and even has a separate mode according to that one preview I posted a few posts back. Local and online co op will make this such a blast. Quote----

Another mode included in the title called Tiny Trolls that basically turns on the puzzler equivalent of friendly fire — allowing players to accidentally fling each other off cliffs and whatnot. Expect serious chaos.

Here is some more in case some thought there wasn't any more modes----

In addition to the story campaign, Tiny Brains also has four other modes: Tiny Challenges, Tiny Soccer, Tiny Trolls, and Jules Mode. We got to also play Tiny Challenges and Tiny Soccer. Tiny Challenges replicates the same kind of challenges seen in the story mode, but with a score factor. We played a couple of the Ball Challenges where we had to get the red ball as far as possible. Our distance with tracked in centimeters, and as we kept going, it kept getting more and more difficult with more gaps that the ball could fall through. The Ball Challenges are procedurally generated, so they’re infinite. Other challenges include Combat Challenges (where players have to protect the pink chick as long as possible from the evil chicks) and Puzzle Challenges (where players are tasked with solving a puzzle as quickly as possible). Tiny Challenges will come complete with leaderboards, so players will be able to do the challenges over and over to try to beat their friends’ (or top players’) high scores. I was told that about half of the challenges will come unlocked without completing any of the story mode, while the remaining challenges will unlock as players progress through story mode and acquire collectibles.

Tiny Soccer was the last mode we got to see. It was a player-vs.-player (PVP) mode, and was actually quite fun. In Tiny Soccer, players are divided into two teams. Each character gets all four powers and players get a set time to score as many goals as possible against the other team. It’s hilarious chaos as the ball keeps getting swapped around and pushed down one side of the field, only to get pulled or swapped back. We ended up with a dev team vs. a reporter team and we ended up in utter ties three times in a row. Again, I think this mode would be great for a party game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
That bonus co-op mode where you move the ball across gaps and obstacles is a laugh riot. I played it at PAX this year with 3 other randoms. There must have been like six last minute saves, with the whole group gasping and cheering.

LiquidMetal14

That bonus co-op mode where you move the ball across gaps and obstacles is a laugh riot. I played it at PAX this year with 3 other randoms. There must have been like six last minute saves, with the whole group gasping and cheering.

I haven't read the fine print but you can play all those modes online as well?

I updated the OP with some of those modes with a quote and link to the article where I found that bit of text.

I don't suppose someone picked up a code from Amazon and is willing to part with it?

Was going to buy it yesterday but decided to sleep on it. Went to purchase today and I cannot.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I haven't read the fine print but you can play all those modes online as well?

I updated the OP with some of those modes with a quote and link to the article where I found that bit of text.
Can't imagine that they would make one of the best modes offline only, but I guess we'll have to get that information from a dev or from someone that picked the game up already.

PBY

Banned
Thanks for streaming.

I'll hold off on this, looks like a prime candidate for a future ps plus game.

Top Bottom