• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiny Tower |OT| Elevator action, Dream-Jobs & Bitbook updates

Zomo

Smithy C said:
All of mine Bitizens wear hats. Kind of similar, just a little less OCD.
I only started playing about 2hours ago and I made them all wear hats at the start. I like the uniform idea better though.

GAF, I think it will be a fun game to name all of my businesses after businesses in various TV shows. I got the Mapple Store, so that's a start.

I named my Toy Store "Duncan's Toys."
My Coffee Shop is named "Cafe Nervosa."
My Fancy Cuisine is named "Freres Heureux."
My Comic Store is named "Android's Dngn."

The first is from Home Alone 2 and the next two are from Frasier, Android's Dungeon is where Comic Book Guy works and probably lives. Some names have to be shortened slightly to fit, but they work! Anyway, I haven't tried to think of references for many others yet but what can you think of for the businesses you've got?

EDIT: Or films, or books, or any reference at all really.

Jasoco

Banned
Up to 57 floors now. Still no Sky Burger. My next floor has to be an apartment though and it'll cost me 500,000 just for that. So basically I need a million coins for my next business. And since all of them are even right now I can choose whichever one I want. I really want the Sky Burger, but I hate choosing Food because it always ends up being something silly low stock.

I would call my coffee shop "Central Perk" and my burger place "Good Burger".

I just really want a sync button, or an easy to perform manual sync that I can do every day before and after work so I can take my tower with me on my iPod. It sucks because most of the time my iPad is sitting at home or in the car waiting for me to take my break.

seady

I like playing casual games like this, but I found myself hitting a wall in this game pretty quickly.
There's really isn't much to do at all.

In games like CityVille you get to customize your city just like SimCity. But here there is barely anything to do. It has fantastic presentation though.

Jasoco said:
Up to 57 floors now. Still no Sky Burger. My next floor has to be an apartment though and it'll cost me 500,000 just for that. So basically I need a million coins for my next business. And since all of them are even right now I can choose whichever one I want. I really want the Sky Burger, but I hate choosing Food because it always ends up being something silly low stock.
You could try closing down all your food floors and then re-constructing them. You might end up with no Sky Burger still but you can't be any worse off.

toythatkills said:
You could try closing down all your food floors and then re-constructing them. You might end up with no Sky Burger still but you can't be any worse off.
I would recommend against this. I closed down a floor and rebuilt the same type of store and the same exact store was built in it's place.

Jasoco

Banned
I would, but my question is, will I lose the ability to have that store in the future? I keep hearing about people "running out" of store slots. Is that something else? Will I eventually be able to get my Asian Food, Sushi Bar, etc back if I destroyed them all, rebuilt them all and waited a day for them to come back as hopefully something better and then kept playing? As long as the game doesn't punish me and stop me from being able to build the maximum floors.

Tobor

atre324 said:
Yeah I'm in the same boat, just over 60 floors and as long as I restock a few times a day I generally get enough money to build a floor a day at least. It helps that I have so many people in dream jobs so the game runs longer while I'm sleeping though.

A few things I'd like to see them add, in addition to a faster elevator (or one that snaps to floors better):

-The ability to upgrade the lobby and "store" 1 VIP or Bitizen for later use
-A doorman that sits in the lobby and gives helpful hints or tutorials for new players
-Bitizens delivered via the elevator to a production floor should automatically buy 1 of whatever the most expensive item you have in stock
-Simple animations for bitizens in each job, even if it's something as simple as standing behind a cash register or cleaning the equipment in a store occasionally
The bolded would be pretty useless. 3 coins is nothing, you get way more than that with the elevator as is.

InertiaXr

Stormwatch said:
I would recommend against this. I closed down a floor and rebuilt the same type of store and the same exact store was built in it's place.

I've done it a few times and it's all random, you just got unlucky getting the same store again. I would also probably recommend against doing this as well though because it will use the 'construction time' of your current floor, not what it was originally, if that makes sense. Right now I have 57 floors and if I were to rebuild my 1st food floor, a yogurt place, it would take 1 day 5 hours or whatever.

Jasoco said:
I would, but my question is, will I lose the ability to have that store in the future? I keep hearing about people "running out" of store slots. Is that something else? Will I eventually be able to get my Asian Food, Sushi Bar, etc back if I destroyed them all, rebuilt them all and waited a day for them to come back as hopefully something better and then kept playing? As long as the game doesn't punish me and stop me from being able to build the maximum floors.
You'll still be able to get those floors back, but if there's something you're particularly attached to, keep it!

The "running out" thing is when people built twenty service floors or something and so there was no more service stores available to them at that time, so it wouldn't let them construct any more.

Jasoco

Banned
Tobor said:
The bolded would be pretty useless. 3 coins is nothing, you get way more than that with the elevator as is.
I think it would be more for visual appearances. Right now they just walk into the store and walk off screen. Why? What are they doing in there? Are they not shopping?

Tobor

Jasoco said:
I think it would be more for visual appearances. Right now they just walk into the store and walk off screen. Why? What are they doing in there? Are they not shopping?
They're just dropping in to say hi to somebody who works there. Or browsing. Checking out the product before they go home and order it from Mamazon.com. :p

Hige

toythatkills said:
GAF, I think it will be a fun game to name all of my businesses after businesses in various TV shows. I got the Mapple Store, so that's a start.

I named my Toy Store "Duncan's Toys."
My Coffee Shop is named "Cafe Nervosa."
My Fancy Cuisine is named "Freres Heureux."
My Comic Store is named "Android's Dngn."
Haven't named too many stores yet, but here's a couple of mine.

Pub = Paddy's Pub (Always Sunny)
Night Club = The Bronze (Buffy)
Private Eye = Mystery Inc. (Scooby-Doo) Wanted to name it Mars Investigations (from Veronica Mars) but the character limit is too small. :(

Re: Floor destruction, I wouldn't recommend it. I opened up a freaking Sushi Bar on my 81st floor, which has a 2 minute restock on the cheapest item. However, I figure at least I can never build another Sushi Bar ever again so that's a relief. Crossing my fingers for a Scoops/Bakery/BBQ the next time I build a food shop, though.

Chanser said:
Starting to hate finding people for bux, when you have over 50 floors it's a bit tedious.
They need to make the reward for that scale I think. Add 20 coins for every person in your tower or something.

Hige said:
Re: Floor destruction, I wouldn't recommend it. I opened up a freaking Sushi Bar on my 81st floor, which has a 2 minute restock on the cheapest item. However, I figure at least I can never build another Sushi Bar ever again so that's a relief. Crossing my fingers for a Scoops/Bakery/BBQ the next time I build a food shop, though.
Scoops also has a two minute restock, just to warn you!

Green are all a pain in the ass. And some yellow ones (Night Club) or even blue (Barber Shop).

But the orange, purple, and most of yellow are amazing. Some of them can last up to 24 hours without restocking.

Hige

toythatkills said:
Scoops also has a two minute restock, just to warn you!
Yeah, but the 3rd tier item takes 3 hours to stock so it has a good chance of lasting overnight. I hate waking up to find half of my stores closed!

Aquavelvaman said:
Mexican Food has a 1 minute restock
SaintZ said:
So does the Pub.
The Pub was my first store and I had the Mexican restaurant by floor 35 or so. Sucks, but it's not nearly as bad as waiting a day and a half only to open a Sushi Bar! So disappointing.

BKXB

Economist
Demolished my Mexican Food for a BBQ Place.

Felt good. Have a Bakery and Scoops too. Helps to balance off some of those quick ones.

Neki

I think I've tweened myself off this game. haven't checked it in two days. ha! take that Tiny Tower! :(

45 floors gets tiring, lol.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It would be great if they added a new song with an update. Getting really tired of the 'upbeat' one.

Jasoco

Banned
Aquavelvaman said:
They need to make the reward for that scale I think. Add 20 coins for every person in your tower or something.
I think they should change the reward to 1 Bux for every 15 levels. When you get to 16 you get 2. When you get to 31 you get 3. By the time you have 100 floors you're getting 7 Bux per "Where's Waldo" search. At that point it would help take away some of the pain. Even though I have a spreadsheet, it's still a pain in the ass so I end up avoiding the blue icon most of the time.

Jasoco said:

I would call my coffee shop "Central Perk" and my burger place "Good Burger".

I just really want a sync button, or an easy to perform manual sync that I can do every day before and after work so I can take my tower with me on my iPod. It sucks because most of the time my iPad is sitting at home or in the car waiting for me to take my break.
FYI, I have a Sky Burger and it's just as shitty as all of the other food stores. STAY AWAY.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
If I can't find the bitizen search in the first sweep of the tower, I usually just hit the X and quit out the minigame

BeeDog

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do with your Bux after you've gotten all the elevators? What's the wisest way to take advantage of them?

BeeDog said:
Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do with your Bux after you've gotten all the elevators? What's the wisest way to take advantage of them?
At the moment I'm just saving them. The best thing to do is exchange 50 for 100,000 coins but when your new floors cost 600k and you're making 100k every couple of hours it feels kinda pointless. I'm just gonna wait until I have enough to exchange for a complete new floor, so 350 Bux or so, and then exchange 'em all at once.

There are rumours of a faster elevator in the future, so it could be worth just hanging onto them for now.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Just started not too long ago: currently have 9 floors, and 37bux.

Just wondering, is it wise to invest in a better elevator for 25 bux, and what is the advantage in a better elevator?

Thanks!

BeeDog said:

Get new people. When you have 60 floors and you make a residential floor you don't want to make an average of 300 elevator trips to be able to fill the 60th floor with 5 people. Also, probably you'll evict some people if you have too much people with the same dream job. Sometimes you'll want to accelerate the construction of a floor a few hours, specially if you are going to bed and a floor will be built in a few hours.

And, with 60 floors you don't use the elevator so much, so you get bucks much slower.

Nori Chan

costumes.png

Hahaha can't wait for the next update.

atre324 said:
Ooooo I wonder what the costumes will actually do or what you'll have to do to get them...
They don't actually exist in the game as far as I can tell. Just something that *might* be included in the future. You'd pay Bux for an outfit and then get to dress a Bitizen up in it via the dress up menu.

Jasoco

Banned
I think it'd be better if they randomly showed up in them. I want Luigi to move into my apartment at random. I don't want to pay to make one of my tenants look like him.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I could've sworn I saw Link in one of my stores, maybe it was just someone who wears a lot of green.

Jasoco

Banned
My last Service floor is a Private Eye. My last Creative is a Recording Studio. My last Recreation was a Bowling Alley. Can't wait to see what my next Retail is that is currently brewing. 29 more hours.

mattiewheels

Wario64 said:
Costume bitizens are worthless to me since I only dress bitizens according to their jobs
That's what I like to hear, no-nonsense!

Top Bottom