• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiny Tower |OT| Elevator action, Dream-Jobs & Bitbook updates

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
UPDATE IS LIVE

What's New in Version 1.3

- NEW ELEVATOR!
- New bitizen dressup menu including new costumes!
- New BitizenBuilder web tool lets you create your own custom citizen avatar.
- Business floors can now be upgraded to hold more stock.
- Real Estate VIPs now fill all empty bedrooms in a floor.
- Added new Residential floor.
- Increased the dream job bonus to 2 bux.
- Fixed bug causing neighbors view to crash when friends had emoji chars in their name.
- Fixed bug causing music to play even when sounds are off.
- Added demand percentage numbers to stats screen.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I dont know if it's just me but the game seems to run smoother to me now, performance wise. I'm on a iPod Touch 2 though so maybe the optimizations is for older devices

And shiieeeet are floor upgrades unlimited? You can upgrade multiple times

Wario64 said:
I dont know if it's just me but the game seems to run smoother to me now, performance wise. I'm on a iPod Touch 2 though so maybe the optimizations is for older devices

Yup. Running smoother on the 3G for me for sure. Yeah, I'm concerned about this whole unlimited upgrade, seems like could be a huge advantage.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Rlan said:
Fuuuck 500 smackaroos for the new elevator. Seems so far away.

Screw that, the elevator game is dead once your tower is huge. The big feature is upgrading your stores, I did it like 6 times on a store but I'm afraid to waste any more bux to see if there's a cap

Hige

New elevator is awesome! Takes 8 seconds to go from floor 1 to 105. Took 28 seconds with the gold elevator.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Wario64 said:
Screw that, the elevator game is dead once your tower is huge. The big feature is upgrading your stores, I did it like 6 times on a store but I'm afraid to waste any more bux to see if there's a cap
I fell really stupid right now as I have been playing this game for a couple of weeks now and I don't know what you're talking about. Upgrading stores?

Hige

Wario64 said:

I didn't want to go any higher... I think I got too excited at the prospect of not having to restock bar nuts every 2 seconds.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Fantastical said:
I fell really stupid right now as I have been playing this game for a couple of weeks now and I don't know what you're talking about. Upgrading stores?

It's a new feature, look at the new patch notes. Every 3 bux, you can increase how much stock a business can hold

I wonder what's the best store to upgrade and how it scales in relation to stock time

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Wario64 said:
Not any more. The new elevator is super snappy, as are snapping to floors in general. It's a little jerky, but control-wise, it's night and day compared to the last elevator. If they want you to use the elevator, this elevator let's that happen very quickly.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Faster elevator or not, I find the elevator play boring though. Unless the rate of collecting bux has increased significantly, I don't see it as a good investment. I'm gonna be farming bux again through dream jobs

Also, anyone doing the bitizens color dress up scheme, dressing up is much easier now. You can scroll between clothes forward and backwards

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Uh oh, looks like there's a bug. Someone on the TA forum pointed out that sales per minute is cut in half and you get revenue every 2 seconds instead of every second. I notice it too...Fuck.

Neki

Wario64 said:
Uh oh, looks like there's a bug. Someone on the TA forum pointed out that sales per minute is cut in half and you get revenue every 2 seconds instead of every second. I notice it too...Fuck.
A "bug". Or they've finally gotten their revenge on all the dream bux farmers, haha!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ultimoo said:
A "bug". Or they've finally gotten their revenge on all the dream bux farmers, haha!

I'm pretty sure it isn't intended. Why cut the rate of revenue in exchange of 1 extra bux?

The creator just tweet reply me on the bug

"@Wario64 Only when the app is open, sales in the background are unaffected. Fix coming soon."

So it's not as bad as it is, just don't have the game opened for too long...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Wario64 said:
It's a new feature, look at the new patch notes. Every 3 bux, you can increase how much stock a business can hold

I wonder what's the best store to upgrade and how it scales in relation to stock time
Oh okay, cool. I was wondering how I missed such an important feature.

SickBoy

Wario64 said:
I'm pretty sure it isn't intended. Why cut the rate of revenue in exchange of 1 extra bux?

The creator just tweet reply me on the bug

"@Wario64 Only when the app is open, sales in the background are unaffected. Fix coming soon."

So it's not as bad as it is, just don't have the game opened for too long...

Thats cool. Came in to poke around and see if anyone else had the same issue.

Definitely feels quite heavily optimized from the last version - scrolling is way smoother on iPhone 4. Maybe from only calculating half sales :p

So cool! This makes it 500 times easier (rough estimate) on matching peoples costumes. I love it and there are sooo many damn costumes to choose from now.

I want to buy 1000 bux now.

Jasoco

Banned
Sucks about the 2 second bug. How long is it going to be to update? Did they submit it today? Or did they catch it right after submitting the last one so it might be sooner?

I like to actually sit and play the game sometimes. Now I can't.

Hige

Chopper said:
So... How many levels can you upgrade a store?
Well definitely at least 19 times (see earlier pic). Choose what you upgrade carefully. I want the ability to downgrade shops now. The Pub/Sushi Bar/Mexican Food are a good source of bux for me, so I wish I hadn't upgraded the pub now. :( Haven't upgraded my other stores yet until I'm certain what my goals are.

Edit: Well I should have checked SA first. Developer says "There is no max level, and you have to tap on the floor to see what level it is. We couldn't find a good place to graphically display a level number without obscuring something else."

I have 1003 bux and got the private eye. I think I'm ready to upgr ...

Wario64 said:

Oh, nvm then.

Jasoco said:
Sucks about the 2 second bug. How long is it going to be to update? Did they submit it today? Or did they catch it right after submitting the last one so it might be sooner?

I like to actually sit and play the game sometimes. Now I can't.
They said on TA that they've fixed it and are gonna test it a little before updating. Last update that came with a bug was fixed the same day though so it could be pretty soon. Even if you sit and play it for an hour though the worst case scenario is you're gonna lose 50,000 coins or something, which'll only take you another half an hour to collect with the app sleeping. It's not as major an issue as the messed up shops in the last update.

Still, it's easy for me to say that, I haven't updated yet! I'm on 470 Bux and there's no real need to until I get to 500 or build some more residential.

Chopper

brotkasten said:
I have 1003 bux and got the private eye. I think I'm ready to upgr ...

Oh, nvm then.
lol

I don't know about this floor upgrading. Sounds messy, particularly if there's no cap. Does it affect stocking time too?

Chopper said:
lol

I don't know about this floor upgrading. Sounds messy, particularly if there's no cap. Does it affect stocking time too?
If you upgrade your floors to level 999, you'd probably only have to restock them once a week and the money would still be rolling in with no work at all! Especially if you've got dream jobs as well. Big Spenders could soon be worth MILLIONS :lol

It does affect stocking time, and purchase price. They just go up the equivalent of 75 units of stock, so five minutes each level I think.

aechris

Have they fixed the game breaking problem of being able to set your iPad time ahead for $$$$$$? I stopped caring about the game as soon as I learned about that.

aechris said:
Have they fixed the game breaking problem of being able to set your iPad time ahead for $$$$$$? I stopped caring about the game as soon as I learned about that.
Yeah, the fix is to just not be an idiot and don't mess around with your clock. It was fixed in 1.2.1

aechris

toythatkills said:
Yeah, the fix is to just not be an idiot and don't mess around with your clock. It was fixed in 1.2.1

It was more of a competition thing for me. It's was great seeing my friends' towers but then when the next day someone's got 30+ floors on you it kind of takes away from it.

hirokazu

Wario64 said:
No wonder why business has been so quiet! Fuckers!

hirokazu

toythatkills said:
If you upgrade your floors to level 999, you'd probably only have to restock them once a week and the money would still be rolling in with no work at all! Especially if you've got dream jobs as well. Big Spenders could soon be worth MILLIONS :lol

It does affect stocking time, and purchase price. They just go up the equivalent of 75 units of stock, so five minutes each level I think.
Yeah, wouldn't not having a level cap totally mess up the balance of that sort of thing? I assumed it'd get more and more expensive to upgrade (but with better upgrade at each higher level), not a flat rate of 3 bux.

hirokazu said:
Yeah, wouldn't not having a level cap totally mess up the balance of that sort of thing? I assumed it'd get more and more expensive to upgrade (but with better upgrade at each higher level), not a flat rate of 3 bux.

No, the balance is ok:

3 bucks -> 75 extra supply -> 5 minutes restock

The rule of 75 supply = 5 minutes restock applies in all the shops, so there is no way to unbalance it.

hirokazu

DangerousDave said:
No, the balance is ok:

3 bucks -> 75 extra supply -> 5 minutes restock

The rule of 75 supply = 5 minutes restock applies in all the shops, so there is no way to unbalance it.
That's fine if you need to wait for the stock sell. But if you get a big spender that buys it all up at once, then it's a massive profit as the other guy pointed out.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I thought maybe the upgrades would scale with the store's stock level, but each store's Lv2 is always +75. Can't see messing with that until I have mega bux.

One thing they fixed is an added feedback sound to starting a new stock, it feels better with that.

Chopper

I can see myself eventually upgrading stores so that the minimum time for restocking any product is an hour, for my own convenience. But otherwise, I don't see the point.

I can't be bothered to do all the maths, but to do this to every food store would cost about 513 bucks. :\

hirokazu said:
That's fine if you need to wait for the stock sell. But if you get a big spender that buys it all up at once, then it's a massive profit as the other guy pointed out.

But there are already tons of shops that have several thousand of stock.

Meier

It is definitely MUCH snappier when jumping to a floor but it feels like they slowed the Gold elevator down a bit to make the Platinum more appealing.

RPG

Meier said:
It is definitely MUCH snappier when jumping to a floor but it feels like they slowed the Gold elevator down a bit to make the Platinum more appealing.
I don't know about the elevator speed, but the 'floor snapping' is definitely an improvement. Also, been noticing the new costumes showing up too; I've had a caveman and dinosaur show up for elevator rides.

Meier

It would be cool if they put some created Bitizens in the game. Just did this one while fiddling around.

5136ce52-f1bd-4bb4-bfe9-717d6d878da7.png

Tobor

Wario64 said:
UPDATE IS LIVE

What's New in Version 1.3

- NEW ELEVATOR!
- New bitizen dressup menu including new costumes!
- New BitizenBuilder web tool lets you create your own custom citizen avatar.
- Business floors can now be upgraded to hold more stock.
- Real Estate VIPs now fill all empty bedrooms in a floor.
- Added new Residential floor.
- Increased the dream job bonus to 2 bux.
- Fixed bug causing neighbors view to crash when friends had emoji chars in their name.
- Fixed bug causing music to play even when sounds are off.
- Added demand percentage numbers to stats screen.
What an update! This will get me motivated again.

Magnus

I feel like a game like this lives or dies by its visual aesthetic.

I'm really not feelin it at first glance. Is it charmingly awesome in motion?

Chopper

Blow it. I did the maths. Right, so my food estimate above is a little off, because I forgot the new floors from the 1.2 update, but now I've included them in my calculations.

The following assumes you wanted to use floor levelling to make 1 hour the minimum amount of time to you had to wait for stock, and each upgrade adds 5 minutes to stocking times. For example, Mexican Food would need to be upgraded 12 times so that the 1 minute waiting time of its first item (nachos) was raised to 61 minutes.

Food: 179 upgrades, 537 bucks
Service: 86 upgrades, 258 bucks
Recreation: 111 upgrades, 333 bucks
Retail: 137 upgrades, 411 bucks
Creative: 36 upgrades, 108 bucks

Total bucks required: 1647 bucks.

You know, in case you were interested.

Meier

I hope all the active posters in this thread have at least done an IAP of $1-$2 by now. They have earned a little reward for putting out this title. I've definitely played it more than anything else on iOS so I felt obligated.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I think I'm gonna use the store upgrades on 1 store exclusively and have 1 powerhouse store. If you store upgrade all your stores, you miss out on having quick bux rewards, especially on the food stores. And you can't degrade your stores (at least not yet), so you need to make sure you know what you're doing if you want to do store upgrades

Chopper

Wario64 said:
I think I'm gonna use the store upgrades on 1 store exclusively and have 1 powerhouse store. If you store upgrade all your stores, you miss out on having quick bux rewards, especially on the food stores. And you can't degrade your stores (at least not yet), so you need to make sure you know what you're doing if you want to do store upgrades
Once you have all the floors, or at least most of them, even with a 2 bucks dream job reward, farming will render the 5 or 6 really good restocking reward opportunities useless, particularly if you stagger your restocking, I would have thought. Anyway, let us know how you get on.
Me said:
Food: 179 upgrades, 537 bucks
Service: 86 upgrades, 258 bucks
Recreation: 111 upgrades, 333 bucks
Retail: 137 upgrades, 411 bucks
Creative: 36 upgrades, 108 bucks

Total bucks required: 1647 bucks.
Also, to add to this, if you wanted to make your minimum stocking threshold 30 minutes...

Food: 75 upgrades, 225 bucks
Service: 23 upgrades, 69 bucks
Recreation: 29 upgrades, 87 bucks
Retail: 42 upgrades, 126 bucks
Creative: 5 upgrades, 15 bucks

Total bucks required: 522 bucks.

I might just do that.

Top Bottom