• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiny Tower |OT| Elevator action, Dream-Jobs & Bitbook updates

Jasoco

Banned
So how much does upgrading actually give a store? I want to use it on all my shitty food stores that run out after 25 customers.

strem

It seems like since the update earning tower bucks became extremely hard. I was getting someone to tip me probably once every 10 people now I have only receive one all day today

Chopper

Jasoco said:
So how much does upgrading actually give a store? I want to use it on all my shitty food stores that run out after 25 customers.
3 bucks -> +5 mins to restock, +75 stock on each product on that floor.

strem said:
It seems like since the update earning tower bucks became extremely hard. I was getting someone to tip me probably once every 10 people now I have only receive one all day today

Felt the same. But, I think I've launched this twice in the last two weeks. Got bored with it.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Meier said:
I hope all the active posters in this thread have at least done an IAP of $1-$2 by now. They have earned a little reward for putting out this title. I've definitely played it more than anything else on iOS so I felt obligated.
I gave them $60 within the first two weeks of play. I'm a firm believer in supporting games I enjoy. I'm not buying console games any more, so why not spend that money on the games that get my time?

Stantron

When I restock all three items at a store, sometimes I get a bux, sometimes not. Is this random, like getting tipped for elevator rides? I also assume you can only get bux for the very first time you put a bitizen in his/her dream job. Now that it's 2 bux reward, they should reset these.

Stantron said:
When I restock all three items at a store, sometimes I get a bux, sometimes not. Is this random, like getting tipped for elevator rides? I also assume you can only get bux for the very first time you put a bitizen in his/her dream job. Now that it's 2 bux reward, they should reset these.
It's random, sometimes you'll have a little coin bonus flash up instead, sometimes you'll get a bux.

I just made it to 500! Shall update soon!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Stantron said:

Random bonus. Not sure why dream jobs should be reset.

Planning my store upgrades...looks like the best store to do upgrades on are Private Eye and Doctors Office. I have neither...my next best store is Architect Office but the 3rd item stock is 3000 less. 3000/75 = 40*3. I'd be wasting 120 bux just to get my Architect Office as equal to a Private Eye or Doctors Office. Hmmm... and Private Eye has better quantity on 1st/2nd items.

Jasoco

Banned
Chopper said:
3 bucks -> +5 mins to restock, +75 stock on each product on that floor.
So it doesn't scale up? Interesting. I tested it out on my worst floor. My sushi place. Hopefully this will help there.

Jasoco

Banned
Seems like a waste. You should upgrade your shittiest stores. Adding 75 stock to something you already get 15,000 of for 3 bux isn't that big of an upgrade. But adding 75 to something you only get 25 of is a much bigger deal.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Jasoco said:
Seems like a waste. You should upgrade your shittiest stores. Adding 75 stock to something you already get 15,000 of for 3 bux isn't that big of an upgrade. But adding 75 to something you only get 25 of is a much bigger deal.

I rather have 1 store that can last for days than multiple stores that can last over a hour. Less management and it'll cover sleeping hours.

Also, having stores that take more time to stock means downtime for dream job farming.

Edit: Actually I guess you are right, it would be a waste. 1 store being active won't make a difference really if the rate of sales doesn't increase. Only matters if you have a VIP sellout celebrity come to the tower

Philthy

I'm at around 16 floors and I am just drowning in money at this point. I could keep adding floors, but I still have spots for people to move into. Everything in the game appears to cost tower bux to upgrade, which is so slow..

Have I hit some dead end of the game where I am expected to start paying real cash for tower bux?

Seems kind of pointless to keep playing at this point. I am literally drowning in hundreds of thousands of gold coins. Need to be able to convert them into tower bux. Game seems pretty flawed at this point.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Philthy said:
I'm at around 16 floors and I am just drowning in money at this point. I could keep adding floors, but I still have spots for people to move into. Everything in the game appears to cost tower bux to upgrade, which is so slow..

Have I hit some dead end of the game where I am expected to start paying real cash for tower bux?

Seems kind of pointless to keep playing at this point. I am literally drowning in hundreds of thousands of gold coins.

There is no dead end. 86 floors and I haven't dropped a dollar. If you don't like it now, then you should probably bail out

senador

Banned
Hi. I am on the latest update and have 50ish floors and lots of people. What's the best way to get bux without cheating? What is a general strategy for building floors and getting dream jobbers?

senador said:
Hi. I am on the latest update and have 50ish floors and lots of people. What's the best way to get bux without cheating? What is a general strategy for building floors and getting dream jobbers?
The best way is just to keep stuff stocked, most of my Bux come from fully stocking floors, and things like the pub and Scoops are great for this. Scoops in particular, the lowest tier item sells out quickly but the top tier item stays in stock for hours, so if you keep on top of it you can get tons of fully stocked bonuses

The findabitizen is the next most lucrative, I seem to get one of these every 5-10 minutes if I'm actively playing.

Then the lift, as a last resort, but it's really boring trying to farm them this way.

Oh, or IAPs of course =P

Getting dream jobbers is just luck. The more types of stores you have, the more dream jobbers you'll have too.

senador

Banned
toythatkills said:
The best way is just to keep stuff stocked, most of my Bux come from fully stocking floors, and things like the pub and Scoops are great for this. Scoops in particular, the lowest tier item sells out quickly but the top tier item stays in stock for hours, so if you keep on top of it you can get tons of fully stocked bonuses

The findabitizen is the next most lucrative, I seem to get one of these every 5-10 minutes if I'm actively playing.

Then the lift, as a last resort, but it's really boring trying to farm them this way.

Oh, or IAPs of course =P

Getting dream jobbers is just luck. The more types of stores you have, the more dream jobbers you'll have too.

I may just do that to support the devs.

Thanks for the info.

Why do I get bux for fully stocking a store sometimes but not other times? What is the criteria for it?

Chopper

Jasoco said:
Between this and Pocket Frogs, I've supported these guys plenty! Awesome devs.

The more I play today, the more excited I am about upgrading these pesky food floors. I'm at 90 floors, with 827 bucks playing on 1.1. Previously I'd thought that I'd only upgrade once I had all the floors, thanks to them nerfing the dream job reward. But now I think that once I hit 1500 bucks, I'll be able to secure the new lift, upgrade all possible stores to a minimum of 30 minutes, and have enough left over to secure successful farming for future dream jobs, especially once I have 12 of each type of store.

With two residential floors currently under construction, I should be able to get the grinding done by this time next week at the latest. I look forward to finally sorting my bitizens!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Me / girlfriend:
64KOk.png
x5sHr.png

I'm not convinced they're 100% likenesses.

Jasoco

Banned
senador said:
I may just do that to support the devs.

Thanks for the info.

Why do I get bux for fully stocking a store sometimes but not other times? What is the criteria for it?
It's random.

Edit: Sweet, I just got my first special outfit visitor. A surgeon who wanted to rent a video for some reason. Probably renting season 1 of ER or something.

Wario64 said:
There is no dead end. 86 floors and I haven't dropped a dollar. If you don't like it now, then you should probably bail out
Hah, that's kind of shitty. I at least bought 10 bux for a dollar. Support the developers guys! Especially if you are at 80+ floors... damn.

Meier

Darknessbear said:
Hah, that's kind of shitty. I at least bought 10 bux for a dollar. Support the developers guys! Especially if you are at 80+ floors... damn.
Agreed. Everyone who has put in substantial time really should throw them a buck or two especially given the bevy of updates.

Any iPhone gamer has bought countless titles at a buck that kept them occupied for a day let alone a month.

Hige

I'm at 106 floors without paying a dime. It's more of a personal challenge now to make it to the end without IAP. I'll probably give the devs some money once I reach the final floor.

Wait a sec, wouldn't upgrading floors make if more difficult to fully stock a floor since the amount of stock would be more equal for all inventory items? IE. Upsgrading coffee house 10 times would make 825/900/1050.

I'm starting to think this mega store idea is the way to go.

SickBoy

Meh... the devs made the game free with the option to spend money if you so choose. Nothing shitty about it. Kudos to them for making a fun game for free -- moreover one where paying isn't essential -- and still raking in cash, seemingly hand over fist (it grosses more than Angry Birds in Canada, and looks like it's pretty high on the list in the U.S.)

Agent_J

i've got 82 floors now without spending a dime. my friend, however is in his 30s and already paid $4.99 three times. lmao.

Hige

RobotsAnger said:
Wait a sec, wouldn't upgrading floors make if more difficult to fully stock a floor since the amount of stock would be more equal for all inventory items? IE. Upsgrading coffee house 10 times would make 825/900/1050.

I'm starting to think this mega store idea is the way to go.
I'm thinking what I might do is leave certain stores as is, and upgrade everything else so tier 1 takes at least 30 mins to restock. The shops I would leave as is are the ones with quick tier 1 restock times that are at least 3 or 4 times faster than the tier 2 restock times. I've earned tons of bux from the Pub/Sushi Bar/Mexican Food because the tier 1 item restocks quickly and the other tiers last relatively longer. I hope they add the option to downgrade shops because I'm starting to regret upgrading my pub.

Something like the Sub Shop, on the other hand, takes 10/15/20 mins to restock the three tiers. By the time you restock one of those tiers there's a high chance one of the other tiers has run out of stock, so you don't get as many full stock bonuses from that shop. It seems worth upgrading those kinds of shops since the chance for earning bux is lower.

Meier

slick7rick said:
i've got 82 floors now without spending a dime. my friend, however is in his 30s and already paid $4.99 three times. lmao.
I am at 74 personally. I only gave them a buck but I'd say I've certainly gotten at least $10 worth of value out of this and probably more so I'll probably end up throwing them a few more in time. I feel like people should toss them a few bucks as a tip of the hat.

The "bonus" is nothing really. 10 bux means jack beyond the first 15 floors (if that).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just a heads-up on an interesting bug - if you visit a friend's tower who has bitizens walking around wearing costumes then when you get back to your tower those costumes will be unlocked for you too. I looked at a friend's tower and now have all the costumes available, when I'd only bought two previously to that. Will probably get fixed fairly soon though!

xbhaskarx

The update got me back into this...

wetflame said:
Just a heads-up on an interesting bug - if you visit a friend's tower who has bitizens walking around wearing costumes then when you get back to your tower those costumes will be unlocked for you too. I looked at a friend's tower and now have all the costumes available, when I'd only bought two previously to that. Will probably get fixed fairly soon though!
Well then I'm off to visit every neighboring tower...

xbhaskarx

It works, I just got fast food, hippie, and surgeon.

Finally I have a reason to add people on Gamecenter. Please post your username if you have costumes available!

xbhaskarx

DangerousDave said:
You visited me?
Hah, I don't know who it was because I just visited around 20 towers (I stopped once I got to smaller ones from people who probably stopped playing long ago).

I currently have:
King
Groom
Bride
Gangster
Fast Food
Hippie
Surgeon
Monster

If you want those, visit my tower.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
My GC username is 1000needles if anyone wants to add me. I don't have all the costumes walking around yet, but there's a good spread there.

xbhaskarx

wetflame said:
My GC username is 1000needles if anyone wants to add me. I don't have all the costumes walking around yet, but there's a good spread there.

I sent you a friend request.

Edit: And now I have every costume.

wetflame said:

my GC username is igmation, anybody feel free to add me on gamecenter

I've bought a bunch of costumes last night (because seeing the Tea House filled with ninjas amuses me far too much :D)

Jasoco said:
Edit: Sweet, I just got my first special outfit visitor. A surgeon who wanted to rent a video for some reason. Probably renting season 1 of ER or something.

my first special outfit visitor was a purple-bearded dude... in a wedding gown. He then went on to the nightclub.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
No problem. And yeah, anyone enjoying this game (and especially taking advantage of the costume bug) should consider sending the devs a little IAP money. Think if how much fun you're having, and then think of the sad, salty tears you'd cry if they stopped adding new stuff. Since this game came out I've played little else, they deserve 99c/69p at the very least!

teamaxe

I just got 3 VIP's in a row. 2 big spenders and and a construction. 20k in 2 min. It really doesn't want me to work today.

senador

Banned
I am at 55 floors and hadn't gotten an IAP yet, and didn't need to. I am a web developer looking into getting into other works of development and I like this model. I think if you provide a really good product that doesn't get in their way money will find its way to you. That's to say, don't focus on the money aspect and you'll be fine. I think that's what these guys have done. You can play this game completely free and be just fine.

So, I spent 5 bucks to support them. Plus, that trek to the new elevator will be long.

creid

senador said:
I am at 55 floors and hadn't gotten an IAP yet, and didn't need to. I am a web developer looking into getting into other works of development and I like this model. I think if you provide a really good product that doesn't get in their way money will find its way to you. That's to say, don't focus on the money aspect and you'll be fine. I think that's what these guys have done. You can play this game completely free and be just fine.

So, I spent 5 bucks to support them. Plus, that trek to the new elevator will be long.
That's wonderful, but I think supporters like us are in the minority.

teamaxe said:
Thanks to 1000 and igmation

oh hey, you're welcome man
And thanks to everyone who added me

wetflame said:
No problem. And yeah, anyone enjoying this game (and especially taking advantage of the costume bug) should consider sending the devs a little IAP money. Think if how much fun you're having, and then think of the sad, salty tears you'd cry if they stopped adding new stuff. Since this game came out I've played little else, they deserve 99c/69p at the very least!

actually, the one thing that comes to my mind right now is NimbleBits' sad salty tears... with the costume bug that's happening

senador said:

This is pretty much the same with me, I am at 56 floors and haven't spent a penny. But considering the efforts in updating the game, and it currently being my most-played iOS game and haven't played any other game as much for a month I plunked down $4.99 as a gratitude to the developer.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I think my friends list on Game Centre has tripled in the last hour, haha. Aside from the bug with the sales, this update has been pretty great. Really looking forward to seeing what comes next. I think the developers are really open to suggestions too, which is always good.

rc213

GrandTheftAero said:
my GC username is igmation, anybody feel free to add me on gamecenter

I've bought a bunch of costumes last night (because seeing the Tea House filled with ninjas amuses me far too much :D)

my first special outfit visitor was a purple-bearded dude... in a wedding gown. He then went on to the nightclub.

Thanks to you all the costumes unlocked. Cheers!

GameCenter: rc213

Top Bottom