• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan submarine for Titanic tourism - Nightmare fuel

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Surely there'll still be a piece of the veseel to recover. I mean its not going to implode into nothing
Well, I was thinking more of the grim effect on the passengers, but I would also say that at that depth, in the dark, in so much space, that it's a very small target, even before it's flattened.

Finding it now seems to be incredibly difficult when there's the potential for the passengers to make sound to indicate position. Without even that, I'm not sure there's much reason to think it will be found.

Cyberpunkd

We wouldn’t know if it did anyway and it would be incredibly hard to spot. Regardless, it can’t be opened from the inside and even if it did surface they are likely to perish before they are found.
I don’t understand the logic behind locking them in, underwater you are unable to open the hatch due to water pressure anyway, you can do it only at the surface.

FUBARx89

You all seen how much of a train wreck the kid is who went to the Blink 182 gig posting about his step dad being missing?

Pure incel, been in jail for stalking and harrassment and made threats to shoot up a EDM gig.

Ne wonder he didn't give a fuck his step dad is missing.

Also, I'm in the belief they've been dead since day 1 due to the submersible imploding.

You all seen how much of a train wreck the kid is who went to the Blink 182 gig posting about his step dad being missing?

Pure incel, been in jail for stalking and harrassment and made threats to shoot up a EDM gig.

Ne wonder he didn't give a fuck his step dad is missing.

Also, I'm in the belief they've been dead since day 1 due to the submersible imploding.

Dude is already partying with his inheritence.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
wgT8kz2.png

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I don’t understand the logic behind locking them in, underwater you are unable to open the hatch due to water pressure anyway, you can do it only at the surface.

There's not really a hatch, it's more that the front of the submarine hinges opens at one end all around it's diameter. The locks are the only mechanism that keep the end watertight, so it would leak from the moment it entered the water without them.

You can see it at the beginning of this video:

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

I don't know much about water dynamics, but if you take the design of this deep water subs but replace the air inside with water, wouldn't the sub hold the pressure with no problems? As water cannot be compressed. Then divers could go inside at normal preassure. I'm sure this would not work I just can't see why...

kuncol02

Banned
I don't know much about water dynamics, but if you take the design of this deep water subs but replace the air inside with water, wouldn't the sub hold the pressure with no problems? As water cannot be compressed. Then divers could go inside at normal preassure. I'm sure this would not work I just can't see why...
Because humans can't survive in that pressure.

FUBARx89

As soon as water goes into it at them depths it's a guaranteed death. It's not possible at such extreme pressures.

Even a slight leak of water at that pressure turns into a cutting blade essentially. Think of a jet wash, you can strip paint off a car with it, the pressure will be far more than that and easily cut through a person.

If you mean replace the oxygen with water before even going into the water, it'll fuck with the buoyancy and require far more energy to move the sub around and require oxygen tanks on board for the passangers to use.

Last edited:
I watched this vid yesterday, many risks and red flags mentioned, making it even more crazy how this actually was a thing
In this video I describe the incident in detail. I review the construction, design and system onboard the Titan. I catalog my concerns about the design and operation of this submarine.

LimanimaPT

If you mean replace the oxygen with water before even going into the water, it'll fuck with the buoyancy and require far more energy to move the sub around and require oxygen tanks on board for the passangers to use.
Yes, this is what I mean. But I'm thinking about this, and this would in fact not work. It would be crushed anyway in case of a hull integrity problem just like if there was air inside. That's because there are compressible things inside (the humans).

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

The pressure of the water would mean that you wouldn't be looking at a peaceful leak or replacement of water. You're looking at intense pressure on all sides of the submarine. If the hull were to be breached, the water would immediately force it's way in, and as you say water cannot be compressed, but air can.

The breach would weaken the submarine and the force of water would likely immediately tear any breach wider, reducing the structural integrity further.

So, the walls of the sub would suddenly and significantly be weakened, there's a giant force pushing on the sub and inside is a gas which can be compressed.

Sub starts to buckle, air compresses, sub continues to buckle.

At some point the air would be pushed out and the compression would end, but if that takes more than a fraction of a second, then the sub would be significantly deformed.

Is my understanding.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Can also add:

*** The forward viewport (according to the manufacturer) is only good up to a depth of 1300m. Titanic sits at around 4000m.

So yeah corners were cut and massive lawsuits incoming if they find these guys dead on the bottom of the sea floor. My gut is that there was an implosion.

Time is ticking. If they're not found in the next 8 - 10 hours then we can pretty much confirm it will become a retrieval mission and not a rescue mission.
The big question is how the fuck did he managed to do 3 trips before this one.

I guess math and physics can randomly bend for no reason...

thefool

During this horrible situation, idiots saw this as an opportunity to try and vilify elon.

How it started

LVxpdJm.png

How its going
v7bFP09.png

Why?
Community Notes were added right away, dismantling falsehoods perpetuated by clueless "journalists".
KpHAW2s.png

The power of lies.

That titanic countdown says they are out of oxygen. Not sure if it's accurate but I suppose it's close enough...

They aren't being found alive now. Always seemed like a slim hope but basically safe to say they are dead now.

RIP

Even if the Titan didn't implode, they wouldn't have lasted until the end of the media Hollywood 96 hours oxygen story. When you're with 5 ppl inside a small enclosed vessel, there are more factors than simply 'oxygen supply'. The guy in the video I posted can explain it much better than me.

this shows just how far down the titanic is :messenger_sad_relieved: there is no light below 1,000 feet. the ocean is fucking scary!

icb6pgh1mh7b1.jpg

Even if the Titan didn't implode, they wouldn't have lasted until the end of the media Hollywood 96 hours oxygen story. When you're with 5 ppl inside a small enclosed vessel, there are more factors than simply 'oxygen supply'. The guy in the video I posted can explain it much better than me.
96 hours was just what they said it could do and probably in optimal conditions. So maybe 2 people who are in a calm state taking slow short breaths. 5 guys in a sub who are probably freaking the fuck out is going to obviously use the oxygen up faster.

Chances are they died well before now. Could have imploded on Sunday or they could've all died yesterday or the day before. We'll probably never know. Hopefully they can find the sub and get some answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
96 hours is what the company running this tourist thingy said it could do. Like with everything a company says, shave it by half, so my guess is they had like 48 hours or something and have already passed.

May they rest in peace.
Yeah this is like reading your laptop has 18 hours of battery life (Looking at Apple here) but that's under specific conditions. Depending on usage you might only get 15 hours. Or that your Switch has a battery life of 9 hours but in some games it might only last 4-5 hours.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Obviously this is entirely grim, but I do wonder what happens now.

By most estimates the oxygen is gone/practically gone. If they found it now, there wouldn't be enough time to bring the sub up.

How long will they search for a submarine of dead bodies?

dave_d

There's not really a hatch, it's more that the front of the submarine hinges opens at one end all around it's diameter. The locks are the only mechanism that keep the end watertight, so it would leak from the moment it entered the water without them.

You can see it at the beginning of this video:

So the "hatch" even bigger than I estimated so even more force holding it shut. Plus where it's located if you could open it the sub would flood rapidly and start sinking.(Trying to get 5 people out and deploy a life raft even if they had one would be a shit show given how few seconds they would have had)

A better way to visualize the depth of the Titanic is imagine commercial skydiving. The Titanic is deeper than the height Skydivers jump out of a plane which is usually at 10 000 feet.
It's crazy and that part of the earth isn't even the deepest ocean. If you ever go in a sub then make sure James Cameron is with you!

iu

Top Bottom