• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan submarine for Titanic tourism - Nightmare fuel

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Naive, cost-cutting idiots with a romanticised 'think outside the box' approach to engineering. Which can be fine if you're designing a go-kart to screw around with your buddies for a few hours. It's not a great way to attempt to dive to depths military subs aren't even capable of.
The more I hear or read about this. Also the whole it hasn’t been certified etc. What the fuck is everyone in there thinking ?

Apocryphon

Why not bang more than once every 30 mins? This helps with triangulation.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the bangs being anything honestly. They had the same happen for the USS Thresher, while the later analysis of the ship indicated that it had been destroyed almost instantly as it imploded. Same for the Malaysian plane crash, they detected sounds but ultimately they realized they were the source of it.
“On board the missing craft is a retired French diver, who would know the protocol to alert search teams is to bang for three minutes every half an hour.”

Cyberpunkd

I'm not sure the oxygen capacity had ever been tested and saw speculation that the remaining O2 might be much less.
It depends how nervous they are and how much oxygen they breathe. Again example from scuba divers where panicking and rapidly inhaling oxygen depletes the tank much faster.

bender

What time is it?
It depends how nervous they are and how much oxygen they breathe. Again example from scuba divers where panicking and rapidly inhaling oxygen depletes the tank much faster.

While that's true, that's not really what I'm referring to. It seems the overall capacity had never been tested and this sea rescue expert speculated that he thought the remaining oxygen was 25 hours when most reports were stating 40. I'll try to find the video.

Ownage

5EvOIsN.gif
The man with the master plan.

Would it be possible to just put a 4km steel cable down to the titantic and just ride that cable down for future pleasure trips?

Also, they might only have 20h of oxygen left, but they still need to get up and I guess do some decompression?

Apocryphon

Apparently there is a failsafe that dissolves after 16/17 hours and drops sandbags allowing the craft to surface, but that it can only come up to just underneath the surface…😳 A blue and white vehicle.. just under the surface…

If they didn’t get snagged on something and if the thing didn’t implode… they’re just going to suffocate irrespective of the depth they’re at.

Nightmare fuel indeed.

SiteSeer

Carbon fiber is immensely powerful.
I used to work at a company that made pressure bottles covered in it. The carbon fiber enhanced its pressurized stability several times over.
However, the material is not impact resistant. Any impact will likely lead to delaminations and/or broken fibers.
if i had to choose between a metal pressure vessel or cf to visit the titanic under a mile or two of water I’d pick metal all day long, just saying’.

Patrick S.

Banned
I've read that that CEO reduced the max diving depth of that "sub" because of material fatigue, but then he put it back up. The viewport bullseye is certified up to 1400m of depth, not 4000. The CEO refused to pay the bill for a stronger unit. And the max dive depth of the hull is reduced with every cycle, but it started with 4000m or something which isn't even deep enough to reach the depth of the Titanic, and has already done several cycles. And the hand layered carbon fiber can have imperfections and air pockets that debilitate the hull. Then you have the titanium "endcaps" they basically superglued to the carbon fiber hull, and now you have thee different materials (carbon fiber, titanium, bonding agent) that will have completely different rates of compression as reaction to the water pressure and temperature. I think the hull probably burst where it's glued to the titanium ring, and the banging that has been heard is a hoax. This whole thing is more incompetent than that Indian guy who died when his home built helicopter's tail rotor separated and flew into his head.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
At some point they would legit consider killing one or more people to reduce oxygen consumption and increase chance of survival.

Alx

WTF no one would do this. Well, Russians maybe.
Sacrificing stranded people in a lifeboat to increase the chances of survival of the group is (was) actually an old practice at sea. Sure it used to be more about food and water (and cannibalism) than oxygen, but it's definitely something that could arise in such a situation. Technically a rational decision too, when you reckon that you have either 20h of oxygen for five or 100h for one, you can decide if it's better to die together or to have one person survive. Hence all the "drawing the short straw" tales.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
WTF no one would do this.

Happy Penn Badgley GIF by Lifetime

Seriously? Stuck inside a can with 4 other peoples? If i have my son with me and our best chance is to get extra time for rescue? CO2 kicking in and you know you'll be fucked if you keep status quo? I think you don't realize what panic and survival instincts can do..

Last edited:

Mistake

Sacrificing stranded people in a lifeboat to increase the chances of survival of the group is (was) actually an old practice at sea. Sure it used to be more about food and water (and cannibalism) than oxygen, but it's definitely something that could arise in such a situation. Technically a rational decision too, when you reckon that you have either 20h of oxygen for five or 100h for one, you can decide if it's better to die together or to have one person survive. Hence all the "drawing the short straw" tales.
I wonder what risk there is being in such close proximity to dead bodies for that long

Patrick S.

Banned
I'd rather die than kill someone, but maybe that's just me... Also these aren't soldiers or professional seamen but regular, selfish people. Would you just let someone kill you so they could live?

In any case, we both don't know what we'd do in this situation, and I hope we never find out ;)

SaintALia

Not only a game controller but a shitty Logitech controller at that: at 250k a trip they could have at least splurged on an Xbox game pad if they wanted maximum PC compatibility let alone an elite: oh yeah and no fucking toilet would make it a deal breaker for me if they aren’t dead already they probably are wishing for it about now. I feel bad for them especially the kid but I’ve got a dark sense of humor.
I wondered about this.

About the only thing I can come up with is:

A) Their software. Whatever they're using to pilot is maybe pretty old and is reliant on dinput as opposed to xinput. Logitech F710 is probably the best in class when it comes to that. I don't think you'd want a wired PC controller with you. You're better off with a failing 2.GHZ connection, which may chip in and out, but not actually fail, than a wired controller that may randomly fail(like my F310 did back in the day).

B) They also wanted to make it seem 'user friendly' to entice people to sign up.

C) The pilot may want to move around and do things and thus a wire is problematic. Not sure about this one as it's pretty cramped, so I'd have to see just how tours are conducted when they're down there.

I could be totally wrong of course, but if they had the F310 with them, they'd be similarly fucked(your wire/stick/usb port is gonna eventually fail on that thing).

There's always the option of building a proper control station, but given how cheap the setup seems and (B), and probably not willing to train the crew to pilot the control station, well I dunno.

I really would not be surprised they were using old open source software as the base to pilot that thing.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

if i had to choose between a metal pressure vessel or cf to visit the titanic under a mile or two of water I’d pick metal all day long, just saying’.
No matter what it is if there is a single point of failure you die long before your brain registers what is happening, the crushing forces of the pressure are insane.

Nydius

No matter what it is if there is a single point of failure you die long before your brain registers what is happening, the crushing forces of the pressure are insane.

Yep. I'd recommend people go watch the old episode of Mythbusters where the build team were testing the depressurization of old diving bell suits. The quickness with which the pig turned into a pile of goop inside the helm once they removed the external equalizing pressure was astonishing. That was only 300 feet. If this thing failed at the depths it was diving to, the inhabitants wouldn't have time to react. They'd just be instant goop.

SiteSeer

yeah somewhere i read 6000 psi at titanic's depths, that's like a ford f150 solely resting on your big toe.

as the other poster said, even if they have 20 hours of oxygen left the rescue effort still hasn't located them and even if they did at this moment just getting to them and figuring out a way to resurface them would take longer than whatever air they have remaining. i'm surprised no one in the media has talked about that, everything i've read so far is talking about rescue like the actual rescuers haven't figured out it was a recovery mission from the start.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Yep. I'd recommend people go watch the old episode of Mythbusters where the build team were testing the depressurization of old diving bell suits. The quickness with which the pig turned into a pile of goop inside the helm once they removed the external equalizing pressure was astonishing. That was only 300 feet. If this thing failed at the depths it was diving to, the inhabitants wouldn't have time to react. They'd just be instant goop.

In this case it’s the opposite of the diving bell incident, as a diving bell has greater internal pressure than the surrounding ambient, which for the Byford Dolphin incident, meant that any open crack would suck the peoples from inside to outside, turned them to mist basically, gory stuff.

But it’s not any prettier for the sub. The pressure outside is much stronger (thus the shell).

The implosion of a submersible is 36 ms give or take. What happens in that moment is the equivalent of what happens in an engine piston. An average car piston is 30ms. Peoples in would be compressed pretty much like fuel by a piston. You turn to goo in 36ms. The air is compressed so much that it ignites somewhere during that period.

Crazy stuff

ManaByte

Gold Member
It is important to remember that oxygen deprivation does not work like a Hollywood countdown. Everyones tolerance for hypoxia is unique. And it is usually the CO2 toxicity that kills first, not lack of O2. Presumably they have CO2 scrubbers in that can though, so lack of O2 may be the limiting factor (or temperature if the heating failed, or water, or who knows).
No fun allowed

diffusionx

Gold Member
Strong Darwin Award 2023 contenders.

I love the part where the dude basically says submarines are way too complicated and he brought everything down to one button. And then proceeds to show how he got parts for his submarine from a camping store. And then pulls out a fucking Logitech 20-year-old xbox controller and proudly says he controls the entire submarine with that thing.

And people still paid 250,000 to get on board with this guy.
Rich people are really weird. Like they have so much money they are normally totally insulated from the consequences of their actions and behavior, and they also believe, because they are rich, that they can manifest reality and bend it to their will. They’re not normal. Look at Bill Gates and his dictator of the world shtick. Just a bizarre guy.

so yea, to you, going miles under the water using an ancient Logitech game pad (Logitech can’t even make mice that are reliable to use while clicking) is just insane… but you’re not rich.

Top Bottom