• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

I don't know if it is the influx of Christmas players but the average player skill seems fairly low. I've not played many matches so far and I am only sitting on a 1.0 lifetime kd. Last few games it's closer to 3.5 which has helped drag me up to 1.0.

I'm not the best player in the world and I'm still getting to grips with the movement and weapons but even when people were getting the drop on me I was able to quickly evade and then engage them and win. My main problem is knowing how to use my titan. At the minute I'm one of those useless team mates who kills a few AI and then loses my titan without really contributing. But as a pilot I can hold my own.

As fun as this game is to play I can see why the population dropped rapidly after launch. No one likes getting stomped. Casual pvpers don't stand much chance in this game. Ttk is high enough that a high skill player can take a few hits and evade then flank to get the kill. I came up against a few slippery players who did just this and I know that if I had better map knowledge I would have been able to do more about it.

Izuna

Banned
It's nothing new. Titanfall 1 took until nearly a year and a half in before the "average" player knew how to play at an acceptable level*

*in some regions

Does anyone know if the Alternator (or SMGs in general) lose, gain or keep the same accuracy while ADS? I've been trying to use the Alternator as I prefer to run and gun and while I'm not doing too badly so far I have a nasty habit of always ADS even when an enemy is right in front of me. The time it takes to ADS is time I'm not firing and it almost feels like the weapon has less accuracy while doing so. Firing it from the hip is devastating. I just need to break this damn habit!

Loved Titanfall 1 back in the day, then all the impressions from the technical test had me really down on this one.

After all the praise and sales, I jumped in.

Finished the campaign yesterday. Zero regrets. What an incredible ride.

"Press to A to time travel" - wat
Two standout setpieces were the assault on that ship carrying the Ark thingy. Dropping in with all those other Titans and firing what felt like a thousand rockets at those turrets was so badass. Didn't think they could top this and then the entire chase sequence happens. Holy shit.

I could go on and on. Fantastic game!

Izuna

Banned
Does anyone know if the Alternator (or SMGs in general) lose, gain or keep the same accuracy while ADS? I've been trying to use the Alternator as I prefer to run and gun and while I'm not doing too badly so far I have a nasty habit of always ADS even when an enemy is right in front of me. The time it takes to ADS is time I'm not firing and it almost feels like the weapon has less accuracy while doing so. Firing it from the hip is devastating. I just need to break this damn habit!

I think it's more that they get a "bonus" from hip-firing.

edit: fucking stupid connection losses omfg

edit: servers down?

I talked about the Raizer Raiju PS4 controller on here so I thought I'd update people on that, since it's a handy controller on Titanfall 2, for the PS4.

After a few weeks of use, I cannot recommend it due to the single fact that every few minutes or so it will drop inputs for a split second. I returned the first controller thinking it was faulty, only to get another, brand new controller with the exact same issue. This issue was replicable on the PRO and regular PS4 systems, and affected any game.

It was most noticable on shooters, where every few minutes there would be a brief instant where your aim would suddenly go stiff. For quite a while I didn't think anything of this, merely thinking my aim was off, or something was up with the games aim assist or something like that, but switching between the DS4 the issue would disappear.

It was a minor issue and would usually not occur in the majority of gunfights, but the potential for it to happen killed my enjoyment with the controller. I don't want to miss kills because of a technical error and I don't think any competitive player would either.

I also picked up a Scuf controller recently and wouldn't recommend that for different reasons (it can't go wired, the paddles feel stiff, and the durability is really poor). I think your best bet on PS4 is to use one of the new dual shock 4's in wired mode. Use something like Kontrol Freaks to lengthen the analogue sticks, that's a really big help in allowing you to get more precision.

I talked about the Raizer Raiju PS4 controller on here so I thought I'd update people on that, since it's a handy controller on Titanfall 2, for the PS4.

After a few weeks of use, I cannot recommend it due to the single fact that every few minutes or so it will drop inputs for a split second. I returned the first controller thinking it was faulty, only to get another, brand new controller with the exact same issue. This issue was replicable on the PRO and regular PS4 systems, and affected any game.

It was most noticable on shooters, where every few minutes there would be a brief instant where your aim would suddenly go stiff. For quite a while I didn't think anything of this, merely thinking my aim was off, or something was up with the games aim assist or something like that, but switching between the DS4 the issue would disappear.

It was a minor issue and would usually not occur in the majority of gunfights, but the potential for it to happen killed my enjoyment with the controller. I don't want to miss kills because of a technical error and I don't think any competitive player would either.

I also picked up a Scuf controller recently and wouldn't recommend that for different reasons (it can't go wired, the paddles feel stiff, and the durability is really poor). I think your best bet on PS4 is to use one of the new dual shock 4's in wired mode. Use something like Kontrol Freaks to lengthen the analogue sticks, that's a really big help in allowing you to get more precision.

Or, grab a Xbox Elite controller, and hook it up to the PS4 via a $40 Brook super adapter, no input lag, no disconnects, every function carries over, the only thing that doesn't work is the controller 3.5mm headphone jack.

Izuna

Banned
or just claw smh

~~

I want to stream ;( I've learned that Amped EPG (with swap glitching or w/e we want to call it) it freaking amazing. I'll just take a clip of it I guess.

Or, grab a Xbox Elite controller, and hook it up to the PS4 via a $40 Brook super adapter, no input lag, no disconnects, every function carries over, the only thing that doesn't work is the controller 3.5mm headphone jack.

In the FGC it's well known that Brook adapters do add input lag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4rlLYE-e20

I might give one a go though. See if I can tolerate the difference. The difference between a wired and wireless controller is significant to me, but I know for others it's not, so I'm aware I'm more sensitive to that type of thing than others, but input latency is a big deal to me. It directly influences the games responsiveness, which contributes to gamefeel and in turn affects my enjoyment of the game. I know the XBOX ONE Elite with Brook is wired though, just using the difference between wired and wireless as an example.

or just claw smh

~~

I want to stream ;( I've learned that Amped EPG (with swap glitching or w/e we want to call it) it freaking amazing. I'll just take a clip of it I guess.

Smh? Why the condescending remark? I don't like to claw because it's not especially comfortable for me. Is that not a good enough reason for you Izuna?

Everyone's hands are different I like paddles if possible, I don't like to move my fingers back and forth from the analogue sticks. I also just enjoy exploring new controller options. I have 2 arcade sticks and 7 PS4 controllers (4 are first party, then HORI/Scuff). Personally I like the PS4 controller layout so I'd rather there was a PRO option like that, but I might make some mods to my PS4 controllers myself. Replacing the sticks with XBOX ONE sticks is an easy adjustment, for instance.

X-Frame

I just checked out the controller on Amazon and holy wow at all the negative reviews, mostly of build quality and it breaking down.

I would love to use the Elite with the adapter on the PS4 but for $140 I'm hesitant.

Izuna

Banned
You mean like it was with charge rifle?
Or you mean quick swap perk?

Yes, like the charge rifle

http://i.imgur.com/p6Nj3eO.gifv

I'm learning to do this consistently. It's amazing to pull off. I think Archer is better for some scenarios (like going toe to toe with a Titan and Phase Shifting) but this is great for getting a Titan from Bounty or unsuspecting enemy. It also lets you use Mozambique. The DPS is rather insane if you do this. I'm checking to see if Quick Swap is needed or if faster reloads makes sense (but with Phase, what's the point?)

In the FGC it's well known that Brook adapters do add input lag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4rlLYE-e20

I might give one a go though. See if I can tolerate the difference. The difference between a wired and wireless controller is significant to me, but I know for others it's not, so I'm aware I'm more sensitive to that type of thing than others, but input latency is a big deal to me. It directly influences the games responsiveness, which contributes to gamefeel and in turn affects my enjoyment of the game.

I dunno about Brook, but I've used Chronus Max with USF4 and honestly, it's not a discernable difference.

Why not just use the default DS4 controller like was intended? If you're going to use an elite controller I'm going to use Tone and Hemlok ;)

I bet the same people who have issues with certain weapons and titans in game don't bat an eyelid to people using elite controllers.

Izuna

Banned
Why not just use the default DS4 controller like was intended? If you're going to use an elite controller I'm going to use Tone and Hemlok ;)

I bet the same people who have issues with certain weapons and titans in game don't bat an eyelid to people using elite controllers.

no one touch this bait

Yes, like the charge rifle

http://i.imgur.com/p6Nj3eO.gifv

I'm learning to do this consistently. It's amazing to pull off. I think Archer is better for some scenarios (like going toe to toe with a Titan and Phase Shifting) but this is great for getting a Titan from Bounty or unsuspecting enemy. It also lets you use Mozambique. The DPS is rather insane if you do this. I'm checking to see if Quick Swap is needed or if faster reloads makes sense (but with Phase, what's the point?)

I dunno about Brook, but I've used Chronus Max with USF4 and honestly, it's not a discernable difference.

People generally say that Brook is better than CronusMax, but I think CronusMax has more software side processing, which allows it to be a one-device fits all.

There were some incidents in the FGC where the CronusMax had broken devices, it's common that Cronus is banned because it allows macros and scripts to be ran on the device to modify the controls. I don't want to cheat or be accused of cheating, so the Brook is better in that regard.

I don't think remapping the existing buttons for ergonomic purposes is at all unfair. Normally I remap the face buttons with the bult in remapping functions and L1, R1, L3, R3. In either case, you can't do anything with the paddled controllers that you can't with the dual shock 4, but you can be more comfortable while doing so (in my opinion, some people actually don't mind using claw). In general though, Titanfall actually has really good layout options though, the Evolved layout is great for the default controller.

In a moment you're going to tell me that plugging my controller in with a USB is cheating. Did you even know the new PS4 controllers support USB mode which reduces the latency? Anyone that bought a slim or PRO and has one of these new controllers has an advantage if they plug them in.

Comparing it to gameplay balance is apples and oranges. It's not the same at all, plus, I don't care what you use. Use what's in the game while it works. I hope Respawn will be attentive in addressing balance issues, but I don't have a problem playing the meta while it exists. If you want to win it makes sense to use what's best, if you want to have fun it makes sense to use whatever you have the most fun with. I think a lot of us have a habbit of judging people for their loadout decisions but I'm aware that any sense of unfairness I experience with certain customisation items in the game is the fault of the game and its developers and not the players I'm playing against.

Izuna

Banned
People generally say that Brook is better than CronusMax, but I think CronusMax has more software side processing, which allows it to be a one-device fits all.

There were some incidents in the FGC where the CronusMax had broken devices, it's common that Cronus is banned because it allows macros and scripts to be ran on the device to modify the controls. I don't want to cheat or be accused of cheating, so the Brook is better in that regard.

anti-recoil scripts and shit? I mean... just don't use them regardless haha

However, ChronusMax will disconnect every 10 minutes unless you have a USB hub so... there you go ~~ it's good for remapping the touch bar though

anti-recoil scripts and shit? I mean... just don't use them regardless haha

However, ChronusMax will disconnect every 10 minutes unless you have a USB hub so... there you go ~~ it's good for remapping the touch bar though

Does the Brook disconnect every 10minutes though?

I imagine feeding through a USB hub would add even more lag.

I don't think Brook has this issue.

USB Hub wouldn't add any input lag.

Any extra pass through is going to add input lag, even if it's a small amount. To say it doesn't add input lag is like saying that data transferred through the device travels faster than the speed of light. It's not true.

Whether it's noticeable lag is another issue entirely. Perhaps not, I don't know, but as a general rule is best not to feed your signal through more hardware if you can avoid it.

Izuna

Banned
Any extra pass through is going to add input lag, even if it's a small amount. To say it doesn't add input lag is like saying that data transferred through the device travels faster than the speed of light. It's not true.

Whether it's noticeable lag is another issue entirely. Perhaps not, I don't know, but as a general rule is best not to feed your signal through more hardware if you can avoid it.

Bare in mind that these games aren't polling data at infinite intervals. The term negligible comes to mind.

I hope you're not connecting everything to your display with short cables.

Posted this in the figure thread, but though you guys would appreciate it.

Got the Three Zero 1/6 Titanfall Pilot yesterday, was able to find it on an obscure website for retail price. Very pleased with it so far, the light up visor feature is great(turns blue and red) and his tailoring, weathering and accessories are top tier. He goes great with my Atlas and small pilot. ;)

I don't want to buy or play the game on console, but I'm starting to get bummed out playing on PC to the point of giving up. I want to play Last Titan Standing, or Amped Hardpoint, or even Bounty Hunt - but I can't. 0 players queuing up for those game modes.

Attrition is all you get. Well that's not 100% true - you can queue for Mixtape but then you don't get to pick what you play and often get stomped by the same few folks since so few queue. It's frustrating that I found a game I like and can't play it simply by there being not enough people.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know if it is the influx of Christmas players but the average player skill seems fairly low. I've not played many matches so far and I am only sitting on a 1.0 lifetime kd. Last few games it's closer to 3.5 which has helped drag me up to 1.0.

I'm not the best player in the world and I'm still getting to grips with the movement and weapons but even when people were getting the drop on me I was able to quickly evade and then engage them and win. My main problem is knowing how to use my titan. At the minute I'm one of those useless team mates who kills a few AI and then loses my titan without really contributing. But as a pilot I can hold my own.

As fun as this game is to play I can see why the population dropped rapidly after launch. No one likes getting stomped. Casual pvpers don't stand much chance in this game. Ttk is high enough that a high skill player can take a few hits and evade then flank to get the kill. I came up against a few slippery players who did just this and I know that if I had better map knowledge I would have been able to do more about it.
This is why I think it was a bad decision to nerf Attrition mode so hard. In TF1 you could contribute even if you didn't have the best guns/attachments unlocked because if nothing else, you could farm minions for points and to get your Titan. Now you see people with 0 player kills and 2 minion kills and at that point you have to wonder what these people are thinking.
It doubly doesn't help that if a competent team locks down the rooftops on several the maps, the match is basically over. I've seen more lopsided matches the last few days than I have in a while, and I'm going to assume that most people will quit the game before they get better.

Naar

I don't think anyone will agree with me but do you think cloak should have 2 uses instead of 1 after the nerf? Sometimes I use it and immediately someone pops up in front of me and I have to shoot him and I lose the cloak :(

Also can't see to be able to stream this :\ Always lagging for viewers. Tried various connections and programs and always same result.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think anyone will agree with me but do you think cloak should have 2 uses instead of 1 after the nerf? Sometimes I use it and immediately someone pops up in front of me and I have to shoot him and I lose the cloak :(
Naw, because the you get back to the old problem of having infinite cloak if you are getting enough kills.

I doubt they'll carry over in terms of leveling towards G11 when it comes out, but you'll still get credits (which would be nice if you could use credits to buy everything instead of relying on package RNG).

It would be lame if it didn't. Kinda kills my interest in playing until they unlock Gens 11-15 as I would just have to do all over again.

Also can't see to be able to stream this : Always lagging for viewers. Tried various connections and programs and always same result.

I would be in favor of allowing you to re-cloak with whatever time you had left before you shot/uncloaked.

Naar

It would be lame if it didn't. Kinda kills my interest in playing until they unlock Gens 11-15 as I would just have to do all over again.

I would be in favor of allowing you to re-cloak with whatever time you had left before you shot/uncloaked.

I actually like that idea. I just want to not feel bad about shooting so quickly after I cloaked xD

Lol, I left a match early to play with a friend and got a hate message from a former teammate for it. I was leading the team at the time....ie carrying them (their combined scores didn't equal mine), and he was incensed that I would leave them to be slaughtered rather than finish carrying them to victory.

I very politely explained that it's not my job to earn him that extra game won credit.

Izuna, you playing BountyHunt today?

Man I just had my first dream about Titanfall 2. At first I was sitting in my room with a controller in my hand playing it on my PS4 like I normally would. Then all of a sudden it was like I was in the game as a pilot. I don't know, dreams are just like that. But I was having the most amazing game of my life. I was using the Grapple Tactical and I was grappling people and punching them to death over and over. I couldn't believe how accurate I was and how I just couldn't be stopped. Then I woke up and realize my K/D was 1.0 again :(

It was still a nice dream though.

Jito

Banned
Man when are they gonna patch in challenges? Gave me a real reason to mix up my loadouts in the first game. Now you can just regen without meeting any requirements and I've nearly maxed out the R101.

Man when are they gonna patch in challenges? Gave me a real reason to mix up my loadouts in the first game. Now you can just regen without meeting any requirements and I've nearly maxed out the R101.

One of the biggest disappointments. Something that worked so well ripped out for whatever reason.

Arrrammis

I just tried out the softball on Angel City... I think I found one of my new favorites. It's so satisfying seeing someone camping on one of the towers and just sticking a grenade onto them from half the map away. Plus, it does an OK amount of damage to titans as well- not as much as the anti-titan weapons, but enough to make a difference.

Izuna

Banned
i'm so close, so so close.

raw

--

also, Happy New Year~~~~!!

Izuna

Banned
Amped wall and Sentry guns need nerfs badly.

Wait until more people use rapid fire EPGs on your Titan.

I honestly think it's borderline broke. But don't tell Respawn that.

It's unreactable so two well-placed shots will fuck up a doomed titan with no indicator. Someone needs to help me test the suppressor on the Mozambique, though.

Sentry guns are just annoying and have no place in the game. They don't add anything positive to the game at all. Pretty much just a way for bad players to get kills by letting AI do the work.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sentry guns are just annoying and have no place in the game. They don't add anything positive to the game at all. Pretty much just a way for bad players to get kills by letting AI do the work.
They're so easily avoided now though that the only people who use them are the new players who don't know better.

Izuna

Banned
They're so easily avoided now though that the only people who use them are the new players who don't know better.

Until a good player with Dice Roll gets it and puts it on a roof somewhere.

I mean, they are annoying af vs. Pilots, but why must they deal SO much damage to Titans? Like, why even have a Titan Sentry when the Pilot one is good enough?

I simply don't understand their inclusion nor how they make the game more fun.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know they take shields down quickly, but I don't think I've left one alive to see what they do to armor.

I dunno, they take so long to spin up and lock on to a target and are so vulnerable that I never really gave them a second though.

Top Bottom