• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

Zousi

Scorch, apologies. I'm sorry that i neglected you, but now that we have worked together to level up your ass, i have to say that you might be the most fun loving Titan out there. Sniping with your thermite launcher, setting up barbecues... it has been wonderful to have you here.

psyfi

Banned
I don't want to come off as trolling or baiting or anything, but I just got this game a few days ago, and I don't really like it. Or more specifically, I don't like piloting titans. So, I'm wondering, is there any way I can be useful in PvP without using my titan? So far I've just been calling it when it's ready, putting it into follow mode, and focusing on killing other pilots. But when the enemy team all has their titans, I feel pretty useless. What can I do / should I do?

I'm hoping I'll enjoy the other titans more, and maybe it's just the default one I don't like. I still can't imagine it being as fun as being on foot, though. Losing all that agility when in titan mode is really painful.

And this is just pure complaining, but holy shit I really wish I could customize my controls on PS4. None of the configurations feel great. Bumper Jumper is what I'm used to using, but then that means I have to take my thumb off the stick for certain abilities (grapple, etc.).

Arrrammis

I don't want to come off as trolling or baiting or anything, but I just got this game a few days ago, and I don't really like it. Or more specifically, I don't like piloting titans. So, I'm wondering, is there any way I can be useful in PvP without using my titan? So far I've just been calling it when it's ready, putting it into follow mode, and focusing on killing other pilots. But when the enemy team all has their titans, I feel pretty useless. What can I do / should I do?

I'm hoping I'll enjoy the other titans more, and maybe it's just the default one I don't like. I still can't imagine it being as fun as being on foot, though. Losing all that agility when in titan mode is really painful.

And this is just pure complaining, but holy shit I really wish I could customize my controls on PS4. None of the configurations feel great. Bumper Jumper is what I'm used to using, but then that means I have to take my thumb off the stick for certain abilities (grapple, etc.).

Try out different Titans, especially Ronin or Northstar if you want more mobility. Running around on foot and stealing batteries for your team can make a huge difference too, so feel free to do that as well.

In PS4 settings you can go to accessibility, and you can completely remap every button on the controller. It won't change the in-game prints, but it's definitely better than using a setup you don't like.

Donos

pro beeing in titan:
stand ground against other titans and Reapers
melee groups of minions
melee pilots
easily shoot / kill pilots without fear of getting killed in 1 second from hemlock / devo/ whatever gun
and prob more.

Titans are essential in bounty hunt.

But you can support your team without one. Use anti titan weapons, rodeo (with low profile), arc grenade/firestar to harass titans.

Greddleok

I actually hate that Titans are in bounty hunt. It's just made that mode a rush to nuclear eject.

Whoever get the first one wins. 9/10.

psyfi

Banned
Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely keep playing and experimenting with different strategies. I'm pretty competitive and definitely play to win, so I don't want to be useless to my team.

In PS4 settings you can go to accessibility, and you can completely remap every button on the controller. It won't change the in-game prints, but it's definitely better than using a setup you don't like.
Whoa cool, I had no idea! I'll check that out.

SwolBro

Banned

A lot of people don't like the Titan combat at first. Worse yet it's no where near as agile and crazy as the first game. These titans are very heavy and immobile. Still, there's a place for them in the game.

I'd suggest playing CTF during peak hours. You'll get the best pilot play while learning to deal with titans on foot. You may even start to realize their worth and why it's good to be decent at Titan combat. That or just play 8v8 pilots pvp or free for all pilots only modes.

Ion is a terrible newbie titan since she actually requires a lot of nuance and discipline to succeed with. I'd recommend Northstar with viper thrusters or Ronin since you are extremely agile. Just remember to never commit to a fight and keep on the run.

depward

Had a really negative experience playing this on Saturday evening.

PS4.

New TF player, so hopped into the only playlist that had +100 people at the time (was about 11pm Pacific) - Attrition - and got just chewed up.

Is there no real matchmaking here? Or simply no other new players playing? I'm not sure about wanting to learn by losing by a landslide every single game..

Decided to use Northstar for a session the other night, extra dash for more movement, and threat sight so I can see pilots and titans easier.

It's satisfying getting fully charged crits against titans, but Northstar is no Tone or Ion when it comes to taking out pilots at range, maybe if I use the enhanced cluster missile in smaller areas, but highlighted teammates and enemies feels more essential for positioning.
Matchmaking?

Ha
Never heard of it

Its garbage

Better than Overwatch's, where you can get steamrolled like normal, now with unnecessarily long wait times between games and aggressive skillbased matchmaking.

PS4.

New TF player, so hopped into the only playlist that had +100 people at the time (was about 11pm Pacific) - Attrition - and got just chewed up.

Is there no real matchmaking here? Or simply no other new players playing? I'm not sure about wanting to learn by losing by a landslide every single game..

Unfortunately at the moment, matchmaking doesn't really take skill into account when creating lobbies, or when assembling teams. It also only takes one or two really good players with no opposition to turn a match into a landslide.

SwolBro

Banned

PS4.

put in a few days of playing you'll be wiping the floor clean in no time. the player base is really bad.

Izuna

Banned
Unfortunately at the moment, matchmaking doesn't really take skill into account when creating lobbies, or when assembling teams. It also only takes one or two really good players with no opposition to turn a match into a landslide.

The second it does... RIP solo play and Titanfall 2 will die.

I actually hate that Titans are in bounty hunt. It's just made that mode a rush to nuclear eject.

Whoever get the first one wins. 9/10.

Not true, in fact, I've carried against teams that tried to nuclear both sides. It isn't brainless to make sure that the Titan is ready and able to ~~ and with any non-Stryder class, Nuke doesn't OHKO the Bounty.

Naar

Yo seriously fuck this games match making.........every single time I login it is Crash Site.

I honestly want to see a statistic of which maps you played most. I honestly sometimes forget certain maps even exist when they pop up. I'll be like "oh yea Homestead, haven't played that map in a week, even though I play everyday. Forgot about this map!"

Naar

does this game make the ps4 Pro loud as hell for anybody else? within like 2 matches the fan is going crazy.

I noticed my pro would only be loud with this game only, but after propping up my pro (so air flows beneath it) I no longer hear the fans while playing this game.

Gator86

New frontier update:
68.gif

Roadmap is still just one map and a mode no one is going to play.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
New frontier update:
68.gif

Roadmap is still just one map and a mode no one is going to play.

I wouldn't say it's nothing ... they did announce Colony as a new map at least.

One map isn't quite enough though as the lack of map diversity is what made me put the game down for the time being.

Discobird

From today's FNN update:

The next drop after Live Fire will be a doozy. We'll have new Prime Titans and cosmetics you can purchase at the store, a large patch that will bring a host of bug fixes, balance tweaks, and new features online. Not to mention a new weapon, Pilot execution, and more. We're also bringing back another Titanfall classic map which is....

COLONY!

Excited about Colony, that was one of the better TF1 maps. I'm hoping the Live Fire patch will also contain some balance changes notwithstanding the above.

Even more than the new maps, I think the game would benefit from a redesign of Crash Site and Complex to add more pilot-only passages so that pilots can flank without (a) getting demolished by Titans in the open or (b) taking a minute to complete the flank, but I don't know how if that's in the works.

SwolBro

Banned
Ok, first the positive:

COLONY. Best Titanfall 1 map is coming back. Thank you Respawn.

Now, for the negatives:

"Attrition is our most popular game mode [big surprise right!?] followed by Bounty Hunt and Amped Hardpoint."
Hard point? That shitty as mode people had a problem with in the beta? Or is it popular because it's right up there leading from attrition and bounty hunt, third in line? CAN YOU PLEASE FUCKING PUT CTF BACK ON THE FRONT PAGE. Remove angel city 24/7 for god sakes. CTF was the most popular mode after Attrition last time.

"Live Fire maps are designed around controlled sight-lines, choke points, and flank routes. The maps are design to force confrontation and focus combat."
So, they're going to be more like Complex and Crash site? ok this mode sounds absolutely terrible.

And still no word on when a real balancing patch will be dropped. Wonderful, more hemlok/devotion garbage to deal with, most likely for the next 3 weeks minimum.

Chris1

That's not war games :( Still a good map tho.

Ok, first the positive:

COLONY. Best Titanfall 1 map is coming back. Thank you Respawn.

Now, for the negatives:

Hard point? That shitty as mode people had a problem with in the beta? Or is it popular because it's right up there leading from attrition and bounty hunt, third in line? CAN YOU PLEASE FUCKING PUT CTF BACK ON THE FRONT PAGE. Remove angel city 24/7 for god sakes. CTF was the most popular mode after Attrition last gen.

So, they're going to be more like Complex and Crash site? ok this mode sounds absolutely terrible.

And still no word on when a real balancing patch will be dropped. Wonderful, more hemlok/devotion garbage to deal with, most likely for the next 3 weeks minimum.
Hardpoint is popular because it's domination, a terrible version of domination but still. It could be at the bottom of the list and it'd still be most popular.

But they're redoing the UI anyways so you'll get what you want with CTF

SwolBro

Banned
Hardpoint is popular because it's domination, a terrible version of domination but still.
All i ask is for CTF to be placed back on the front page. Let's see if that mode doesn't quickly surpass amped hardpoint.

Respawn's insistence on keeping it on the second page is straight up a smack in the face to their hardest core audience from Titanfall 1. It's downright disrespect at this point.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
All i ask is for CTF to be placed back on the front page. Let's see if that mode doesn't quickly surpass amped hardpoint.

Respawn's insistence on keeping it on the second page is straight up a smack in the face to their hardest core audience from Titanfall 1. It's downright disrespect at this point.

They're fixing it, aren't they?

CAN YOU PLEASE FUCKING PUT CTF BACK ON THE FRONT PAGE. Remove angel city 24/7 for god sakes. CTF was the most popular mode after Attrition last gen.

It really is amazing how this mode is still on a second page... This is something that not only should've NEVER happened, but at the very least been fixed immediately.

Izuna

Banned
Colony?

~~

K

(I remember people disliking this map for Attrition, we're gunna hear a lot of complaints, mark my words.)

Arttemis

74b55441f115bc84b81bba6d7817d2a6.jpg

Wow, that looks like the POW camp right out of the original Call of Duty multiplayer. I liked that map, and this one appears to have some neat 3-tier verticality.

Regarding balance tweaks, I really hope they increase the TTL by one or two shots. Things seem to have gotten more deathtrapy and insta-killy. And I'd drastically alter the hemlock to solidify it as either a single-burst insta-kill at close range OR long-range ultra-sniper rifle, because being both is ridiculous.

Colony?

:/

Out of the 24(?) available this is possibly the closest map that fits in most with TF2's level design, but one I wouldn't put in my top 10.

Izuna

Banned
Colony?

:/

Out of the 24(?) available this is possibly the closest map that fits in most with TF2's level design, but one I wouldn't put in my top 10.

Yeah... why am I not surprised.

Nexus is a better Colony imo. But screw it. >>>>> Titanfall 2 Maps

SwolBro

Banned
74b55441f115bc84b81bba6d7817d2a6.jpg

Wow, that looks like the POW camp right out of the original Call of Duty multiplayer. I liked that map, and this one appears to have some neat 3-tier verticality.

Regarding balance tweaks, I really hope they increase the TTL by one or two shots. Things seem to have gotten more deathtrapy and insta-killy. And I'd drastically alter the hemlock to solidify it as either a single-burst insta-kill at close range OR long-range ultra-sniper rifle, because being both is ridiculous.
we're heading straight down into COD levels of gutter trash.

Every weapon is practically an insta kill now. They're taking everything that was amazing about Titanfall 1 and throwing it away while opting for COD ttk, weapons , and overall playstyle.

It's mind boggling considering how poorly COD is doing now. People are bored of that type of shooter.

Yeah... why am I not surprised.

Nexus is a better Colony imo. But screw it. >>>>> Titanfall 2 Maps

Both are pretty awesome maps.

Is respawn even working on new maps?? Because honestly I think I'd rather them just continue giving us old ones. Too many amazing maps in tf1... I want them all back!

Arrrammis

Both are pretty awesome maps.

Is respawn even working on new maps?? Because honestly I think I'd rather them just continue giving us old ones. Too many amazing maps in tf1... I want them all back!

If I had to guess, they probably have a group working on bringing the TF|1 maps to TF|2, and have the designers working more on new maps and modes. Updating an old map is probably easier and faster than making and balancing a new map completely from scratch, plus they have a new mode coming which looks like it's their current focus.

Not sure about the other platforms but I never see Amped Hardpoint with more players than PvP on PS4....ever. I guess Xbox and PC people are making up for the advantage PvP has over AH on PS4. And AH is a terrible version of Domination. Please get rid of the Amped part of the game please.

Top Bottom