• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

So how's the new patch? Is balancement better or worse?

Usual suspects are still OP

R97 feels the same close range but may have been improved mid to long ranges?

Flatline feels like a better Alternator

Haven't messed with the L-Star or Spitfire (killed by one and it seemed like a 3 shot kill)

Im genuinely curious why the Hemlok, Devotion, and G2 saw zero changes but others were buffed. "Waiting for the client update" just doesn't fly. Why are those weapons different? Or at least treated that way?

Arrrammis

So how's the new patch? Is balancement better or worse?

Overall it's pretty good, a few different tweaks to different weapons. But they didn't touch the main things that people are complaining about (Devotion, Hemlock, Tone), so a lot of people are disappointed because of that.

Argonomic

Usual suspects are still OP

R97 feels the same close range but may have been improved mid to long ranges?

Flatline feels like a better Alternator

Haven't messed with the L-Star or Spitfire (killed by one and it seemed like a 3 shot kill)

Im genuinely curious why the Hemlok, Devotion, and G2 saw zero changes but others were buffed. "Waiting for the client update" just doesn't fly. Why are those weapons different? Or at least treated that way?

There are things we can change on the server, but many kinds of changes, especially weapon feel or player-motion related changes, require that client and server match.

To give a bit more detail on Argonomic's answer: things like damage per bullet we can normally change on the server (emphasis on *normally*, not always). Things like fire-rate of a weapon, however, need to be synced up between server and client to not have a bad experience for the player: imagine if the client thinks that a gun should fire 5 bullets per second, but the server says only 2 bullets per second should be fired. The client plays the firing animation as to what it expects, but the server verifies and says "That's not right, this gun is not supposed to be firing so fast". The end result is that you'll have weirdness like a gun playing a firing animation but not bullets coming out, or a gun warping between animations as the server tells it it's firing at the wrong rate.

There are things we can change on the server, but many kinds of changes, especially weapon feel or player-motion related changes, require that client and server match.

To give a bit more detail on Argonomic's answer: things like damage per bullet we can normally change on the server (emphasis on *normally*, not always). Things like fire-rate of a weapon, however, need to be synced up between server and client to not have a bad experience for the player: imagine if the client thinks that a gun should fire 5 bullets per second, but the server says only 2 bullets per second should be fired. The client plays the firing animation as to what it expects, but the server verifies and says "That's not right, this gun is not supposed to be firing so fast". The end result is that you'll have weirdness like a gun playing a firing animation but not bullets coming out, or a gun warping between animations as the server tells it it's firing at the wrong rate.

Thanks for the replies

So are these the type of changes we can expect with the next update? Do those three weapons require client side updates for damage balancing? Or is it something you all would rather push out at the same time (damage, RoF, etc.)? Will damage output even get tweaked for these weapons? I understand you can't satisfy everyone, but man they really put on damper on things lol

I would like to see this.
So hipfiring even better and stronger than alternator?

Some would argue but I would say they're similar in close range, but the Flatline is more accurate when ADS.

Raide

Is 8v8 the highest playercount for tf2?

Been mostly playing Domination, which is fun but I really want more points to capture. Amped variety is interesting as well.

Want to try CTF but I wonder hoe fun it will be.

Still playing with guns to see which ones I like. 😄

I would like to see this.
So hipfiring even better and stronger than alternator?

I've been using it a lot after the buff and I really like it. I wouldn't necessarily say it's a better Alternator, but it feels like the rifle version of the alternator. Fire rate feels very similar which is the first thing I noticed. The hip fire isn't as good as the alternator but is still pretty good overall. I wouldn't try to snipe with it, but it has decent accuracy at mid range from the hip.

If you rely on ADS for long range shots then it's much better than the Alternator in that regard. You'll only run into trouble if you're missing a lot and need to spray your whole clip. Then you'll notice the sight bouncing around. I play on PS4 though, not sure how it'll differ on PC without the aim assist.

No Love

Banned

This is a golden era for multiplayer shooters when you can have developers using a public forum to explain behind the scenes mechanics of how they modify their game and update it.

HelloMeow

Indeed. Games used to have mod tools. The best multiplayer games had popular competitive mods that made them that much better. More good maps than you could dream of. Players could modify the games themselves.

That's rare these days. Gotta keep everything locked down.

Raide

Finished the SP. Really loved it despite being a little short. Great mix of stuff going on. Easily my favorite from last year.

How good a k/d ratio would 3.8 be over around 50 hours. That's pretty good right?

I haven't played COD or anything for years so don't really know what's considered good.

Izuna

Banned
How good a k/d ratio would 3.8 be over around 50 hours. That's pretty good right?

I haven't played COD or anything for years so don't really know what's considered good.

Yeah, that's pretty good.

What mode you play?

When I went on PS4 I didn't get higher than 2.5 despite being G10 on Xbox.

Yeah, that's pretty good.

What mode you play?

When I went on PS4 I didn't get higher than 2.5 despite being G10 on Xbox.

Attrition only on ps4, I only ever use Ion as well so I know him inside out. I knew it was pretty good cus I'm at or around the top in most matches, I was just wondering how good because the stats don't mean much to me.

Dez_

Been spending a good amount of time with the Spitfire. It feels pretty good to use right now, though since I haven't really used it much before the weapon got tweaked, I'm not sure how it changed, but I can say that it feels fairly nice and stable.

Jito

Banned
Damn this is a sad day, gotta call it quits due to the insane lag that the devs had a good laugh about when they replied to me on here. Connection of 7.1 mps down 247.3 kps up and yet my ping fluctuates between 60 and 200+ throughout a match, finally dying down at times then starting up all over again. Maybe this is the secret reason why people are dropping the game.

Greddleok

I used Ion by accident yesterday after regenning (gen 5). Ion's actually pretty good. Just feel like it has a lacklustre defensive option.

The magnet shield while useful, is super hard to aim. Like, I cannot hit anyone with their own projectiles unless they're in my face. The trip wire uses so much energy and people normally just shoot it out.

On the other hand, the shoulder laser is just awesome. It's so easy to pick off pilots with that thing.

Does anyone know the best load out? I think I'm currently using the crit-regen thing and increased uptime on shield. Something like that.

I used Ion by accident yesterday after regenning (gen 5). Ion's actually pretty good. Just feel like it has a lacklustre defensive option.

The magnet shield while useful, is super hard to aim. Like, I cannot hit anyone with their own projectiles unless they're in my face. The trip wire uses so much energy and people normally just shoot it out.

On the other hand, the shoulder laser is just awesome. It's so easy to pick off pilots with that thing.

Does anyone know the best load out? I think I'm currently using the crit-regen thing and increased uptime on shield. Something like that.

Refraction Lens if you are not very good with Laser Shot (which you should practice!), other wise Vortex Amplifier is king. Actually you can't go wrong with any of her kits, she is awesome.

SwolBro

Banned
Want to try CTF but I wonder hoe fun it will be.

CTF is the highest skill game mode. Unfortunately, since it still sits on the second page for some fucking dumbfounding reasons we don't know why, it doesn't get populated until later in the afternoon during peak hours.

Play it during peak hours and see if you like it

Raide

CTF is the highest skill game mode. Unfortunately, since it still sits on the second page for some fucking dumbfounding reasons we don't know why, it doesn't get populated until later in the afternoon during peak hours.

Play it during peak hours and see if you like it

Might give it a shot. I must admit, I much prefer objectives gametypes. Do they have any plans for new modes going forward?

Might give it a shot. I must admit, I much prefer objectives gametypes. Do they have any plans for new modes going forward?

CTF has always been my favorite mode in Titanfall... It just feels so damn right in this game and gets me fired up the most. It's easily the best blend of everything Titanfall has to offer.

If CTF disappeared tomorrow, I probably would to. I just don't get the same satisfaction from the other gametypes.

haveheart

Banned
After the constantly positive resonance I'm thinking about jumping in on this.

Can't decide whether to get it for PC or PS4. Are there current player numbers? I'd prefer PC version b/c controls but I'm afraid that the player base might die off too soon as for TF1...

There's nothing that's really bad to use with Ion (aside from maybe Nuke Eject if the enemies have common sense to walk away).

Overcore is a good choice since it's always nice to have a set of counter smokes upon getting into Ion, and after every use of Laser Core. Not to mention that Laser Core itself is easy to get using the shoulder laser for taking out Pilots and doing quick long ranged burst damage to Titans; Overcore makes the time getting the core even shorter.

Grand Cannon's ability to increase the duration of the Laser Core might also be good to pair with Overcore if there are opportunities with Titans who can't get out of the way

The magnet shield while useful, is super hard to aim. Like, I cannot hit anyone with their own projectiles unless they're in my face.

It's really good to use the shield against someone like Legion because reflecting their bullets back to their legs / feet does a lot more damage for some reason. Vortex Amplifier would be a good choice to stack onto that cheese, moreso if there's Legion stacking on the other team.

The trip wire uses so much energy and people normally just shoot it out.

I mainly use Zero Energy Tripwire because it uses a lot of energy, it's useful for planting them down whenever since there's nothing to waste in that case.

Raide

CTF has always been my favorite mode in Titanfall... It just feels so damn right in this game and gets me fired up the most. It's easily the best blend of everything Titanfall has to offer.

If CTF disappeared tomorrow, I probably would to. I just don't get the same satisfaction from the other gametypes.

Just had my first match. I like it but it was weird having Titans in too.

Izuna

Banned
Attrition only on ps4, I only ever use Ion as well so I know him inside out. I knew it was pretty good cus I'm at or around the top in most matches, I was just wondering how good because the stats don't mean much to me.

well to put it this way,

best player on GAF doesn't touch 3.0 (but they play Variety)

That is unusually high for Attrition haha

SwolBro

Banned
Just had my first match. I like it but it was weird having Titans in too.

Yeah, the Titan's are slightly out of place in Titanfall 2 CTF where as in Titanfall 1 CTF they were not. I think it mainly comes down to the maps though.

We've been pushing for a 3v3 CTF pilots only mode for a while. Respawn don't give a fuck though, they rather give us Live Fire.

Discobird

If that's K/D vs players, it's quite good! If that's K/D vs everything (players + AI), it's hard to say since K/D vs everything doesn't really mean much.

THIS DUDE

Gunna subscribe

Everyone also owes it to themselves to watch his 51-0 Alternator/Tone game on Black Water and his1v5 Bounty Hunt win

SwolBro

Banned

It all depends on what you play, where you play, and at what time. If you play a lot of CTF during prime hours in NA and rocking a 3.8 vs pilots that's good. If you're playing attrition/bounty hunt modes only at 6am eastern time then no. The population and competitiveness of said population shoots up dramatically during prime hours on certain modes. Remember that.

Greddleok

It all depends on what you play, where you play, and at what time. If you play a lot of CTF during prime hours in NA and rocking a 3.8 vs pilots that's good. If you're playing attrition/bounty hunt modes only at 6am eastern time then no. The population and competitiveness of said population shoots up dramatically during prime hours on certain modes. Remember that.

Really? I've found the opposite. At prime time there's an influx of just awful players.

Izuna

Banned
EU on Xbox gets sweaty af at early hours sometimes

hilariously, the best players may end up on the same team out of the ~100-200 playing. If I play for hours, we can get some UNBALANCED games.

Sometimes I make it out without a loss all night but that's like half the time only.

Izuna

Banned
giphy.gif

SwolBro

Banned
Really? I've found the opposite. At prime time there's an influx of just awful players.

Like i said depends on the mode. I'm sure in attrition that's probably the case since there's so many people on in that mode during those hours but from my experience attrition east servers early hours is pretty bad, probably the worst crop of players you'll find.

jeffc919

I have a 3.8 vs players also, though it took me about 125 hours to get there. I don't recall where I was exactly after 50 hours...probably high 2's to low 3's, so I'd say you are doing quite good. I play Attrition exclusively (mainly at peak hours) on PS4 and I care a little too much about my stats so I never play with any load outs that aren't top tier. I also don't play overly recklessly, moving from cover to cover deliberately to keep people guessing but not flying around the map just for the sake of it. I probably only get MVP 1 out of every 4 matches or so because you don't get points for not dying. I usually finish at least top 3 according to my stats. I expect my k/d will settle somewhere in the low 4's by the time I've moved on from the game. Maybe I'll hit 4.5 if I'm lucky. My ability to do so well in this game is part of the reason why I like it so much. Usually I'm in the 2's in other shooters.

Izuna

Banned
I go mental in Attrition and end up with 0~4 deaths a game and focus on getting MVP (which is like 98% on PS4). I'll straight up fight a couple Reapers and let a Titan take me out.

I constantly think about what gets the most points, since I see Attrition to be more like a time attack mode.

As such, my limit for my playstyle should be like 3, but instead, I'm Avg. 2.6 for all platforms.

Real talk, I play Attrition more nowadays because it makes me feel good. I get top 3 maybe 70-80% of the time nowadays and MVP maybe a quarter of the time. In PvP I still get my shit pushed in a lot. A few nights ago I started off playing PvP and went negative my first 4 games. And it wasn't even close to breaking even. I was going 7-17, 8-14, and so on. I was getting pretty mad and just wanted one good game before I went back to Attrition where I'm normally finding myself near the top of the scoreboard.

If that were to start over with a new account in Titanfall 2 and played only Attrition I think I could manage a 2.0 K/D ratio or higher. But if I did the same and played PvP exclusively I'd still have to work hard to break even.

deoee

Somehow I recently lack the motivation to turn the game on but I think it's just a phase after ~100h of MP

I don't play Pilots vs. Pilots because I'm playing titanfall...

Only thing PvP has going for it is the player count in a match.

I don't play Pilots vs. Pilots because I'm playing titanfall...

I don't blame anybody for feeling that way. But for me playing as the pilot and pilot combat is highlight of this game. And sometimes I want those engagements without the distraction of Titans.

Izuna

Banned
I don't blame anybody for feeling that way. But for me playing as the pilot and pilot combat is highlight of this game. And sometimes I want those engagements without the distraction of Titans.

That's an issue with these maps.

When they decide to port over Runoff, you'll wonder why they didn't do so sooner.

Top Bottom