• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

MGrant

Accumulate money. Be bad at the game and die a bunch of times in a row. Want to contribute in any way you can so you give your last dollar to a bounty charity.

You still contribute money by staying safe and killing bots, which anyone can do. The stuff you bank is just a bonus; I've had games where I've only made it to the bank one time because I was otherwise engaged, yet still ended up the top scorer on a winning team thanks to the amount of minions, pilots, and reapers I killed. I think a misconception a lot of people have about Bounty Hunt is that only the money you bank counts toward your score.

You still contribute money by staying safe and killing bots, which anyone can do. The stuff you bank is just a bonus; I've had games where I've only made it to the bank one time because I was otherwise engaged, yet still ended up the top scorer on a winning team thanks to the amount of minions, pilots, and reapers I killed. I think a misconception a lot of people have about Bounty Hunt is that only the money you bank counts toward your score.
I was under that assumption. Thanks for that Info.

EL CUCO

After getting destroyed with a "fun" build earlier I caved in and now rolling with the meta. Sonar pulse/Wall hacks.

Instantly shot up the leaderboard.

Grisby

Fffffffuck. That was a good campaign.

Shit, Respawn made up for the first one not having one and then some.

Shame there was no
pilot on pilot
boss battle though, kept expecting one.

There has to be a way to get more people playing CTF. Perhaps having only three game modes will work: Attrition, Bounty, Variety. I also like the idea of giving extra XP for team-based game modes to help attract people.

It really is a shame that there isn't a CTF community for the TF games. I understand that the newer gamers prefer deathmatch style games because they're faster paced and you don't need to coordinate with anyone but they really are missing out on the best of multiplayer gaming. I think that newer/younger players don't have the patience for a 5 second respawn and don't have an appreciation for strategy and teamwork.

With CTF, you have offense and defense - and at the end of the match, a winner and a loser. With Attrition/Bounty, you're just on offense the entire time. Everyone wants to feel like they win every round and that's what happens with Attrition or Bounty. They're very self-serving game modes. CTF requires a team effort and a balanced approach and it's already impossible to find these matches in TF2 during release week...

I basically need to play R6 Siege for this type of strategy in a shooter (which is an amazing game) but I want to have that strategy mixed-in with the TF2 mechanics. I think CTF in TF2 could be like a modern-day Quake 3 CTF but it needs to have enough people playing it regularly. I tried all weekend and yesterday and only played one match of CTF in the west region. :(

TheRed

Mmph, still deciding whether to pick it up on PC. Hmm I'm already loving BF1 and have enough other things to play... But still

Gator86

I hate the "one more game" feeling this nails. I planned to quit roughly 3 hours ago.

Every titan is so fun to use. Tone could use a nerf and Ronin could use a small damage buff at close range though. Tone is good at everything and requires next to no effort to run through entire teams. I have no problem with Ronin's fragile healthbar, but when he does get close he should be able to fucking wreck you. They should just change the range scaling on the shotgun so it's damn near useless at distance and lethal up close. I'm not sure what to do with Scorch. If you don't want him to kill you, he can't.

Now crash site and complex... Yeah

You can't fix a turd. You can make it more presentable, though.

Mmph, still deciding whether to pick it up on PC. Hmm I'm already loving BF1 and have enough other things to play... But still

Do it.

I hate the "one more game" feeling this nails. I planned to quit roughly 3 hours ago.

Every titan is so fun to use. Tone could use a nerf and Ronin could use a small damage buff at close range though. Tone is good at everything and requires next to no effort to run through entire teams. I have no problem with Ronin's fragile healthbar, but when he does get close he should be able to fucking wreck you. They should just change the range scaling on the shotgun so it's damn near useless at distance and lethal up close. I'm not sure what to do with Scorch. If you don't want him to kill you, he can't.

Point blank shots with the leadwall should be doing a lot of damage (anything from 500 to 1000 damage). Phase Dash's cooldown could also be toned down a bit... maybe two charges with the same cooldown?

There has to be a way to get more people playing CTF. Perhaps having only three game modes will work: Attrition, Bounty, Variety. I also like the idea of giving extra XP for team-based game modes to help attract people.

It really is a shame that there isn't a CTF community for the TF games. I understand that the newer gamers prefer deathmatch style games because they're faster paced and you don't need to coordinate with anyone but they really are missing out on the best of multiplayer gaming. I think that newer/younger players don't have the patience for a 5 second respawn and don't have an appreciation for strategy and teamwork.

With CTF, you have offense and defense - and at the end of the match, a winner and a loser. With Attrition/Bounty, you're just on offense the entire time. Everyone wants to feel like they win every round and that's what happens with Attrition or Bounty. They're very self-serving game modes. CTF requires a team effort and a balanced approach and it's already impossible to find these matches in TF2 during release week...

I basically need to play R6 Siege for this type of strategy in a shooter (which is an amazing game) but I want to have that strategy mixed-in with the TF2 mechanics. I think CTF in TF2 could be like a modern-day Quake 3 CTF but it needs to have enough people playing it regularly. I tried all weekend and yesterday and only played one match of CTF in the west region. :(

Mixtape is making me a lot happier tonight!!!!***

***yes, I quoted myself :)

From most common to least:

1) Legion/Tone
2) Northstar/Ronin
3) Ion/Scorch

I've been getting the hang of Ion lately, been using her as a sniper, hit and run. Then rush them with a Laser Core. Makes me wonder if I should just switch to Overcore for LTS.

Still don't know wtf to use tripmines for other than to slow down enemies for 2 seconds.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com

Do it?! Free DLC stuff should be encouraged and the game is good, to boot. :)

Is the pc version online crowded at least? Or is it dead just like the predecessor?

I think PC is at 15K players (not sure now), definitely lower than consoles but still very viable.

---

I can see new MP players getting frustrated now if they join matches and end up going up against level 30 and up players. Hope that matchmaking works its magic.

And I agree with the "one more game" thing. I keep wanting to unlock one more piece of content that's sometimes a patch, banner, etc. The fact that merits and XP are tied to weapons, etc., is a good thing, too. I use the other stuff just to unlock faster. xD

Fffffffuck. That was a good campaign.

Shit, Respawn made up for the first one not having one and then some.

Shame there was no
pilot on pilot
boss battle though, kept expecting one.
Honestly thought it would end with you
fighting the Mercenary boss's titan as a pilot, and having to rodeo him to doom (bash X to dodge nuke), followed by some QTE knife fight as pilots amidst the flaming wreckage.

I've obviously played too many COD campaigns.

I’m not too worried about the pop. Yeah it’s small, but you shouldn’t have problem finding games in certain modes. I mean you can still find games on PC in Battlefront and that game only peaks at like 3k a day (only 800 atm). Plus the game is good and word of mouth is a powerful tool. Also all the future content is free, so that’s another bonus for people to pick it up.

I still don’t understand why EA didn’t do EA Access trial with it. I mean the campaign is amazing; they probably could have got a lot of people just to buy it for the campaign alone.

Personally, I’ll be playing it for a bit. I’m having more fun with my 13 hours in TF 2 than I did with my 60 hours in BF 1.

Dez_

The Mixtape playlist is fantastic. Totally having a lot of fun and enjoy the variety there. It's such a fun time playing that mode with others. Good games to Broad Bandit and crew.

TheRed

I’m not too worried about the pop. Yeah it’s small, but you shouldn’t have problem finding games in certain modes. I mean you can still find games on PC in Battlefront and that game only peaks at like 3k a day (only 800 atm). Plus the game is good and word of mouth is a powerful tool. Also all the future content is free, so that’s another bonus for people to pick it up.

I still don’t understand why EA didn’t do EA Access trial with it. I mean the campaign is amazing; they probably could have got a lot of people just to buy it for the campaign alone.

Personally, I’ll be playing it for a bit. I’m having more fun with my 13 hours in TF 2 than I did with my 60 hours in BF 1.

Yeah I think this game has a better chance of lasting from what I hear. The network stuff seems cool for a community to stay active too. The free DLC will be great. I just have personal memories of playing full 1v1 attrition matches in Titanfall :p which were fun in their own way but not ideal lol I think the population was lower than Battlefront has even ever gotten.

I just think capture the flag isn't much fun. It's also the mode that most punishes randoms that are playing against groups.

It needs some kind of twist or hook to me to be interesting. Just pure ctf isnt interesting.

One flag ctf where you don't have to worry about defending and capturing at the same time might be good. It's just frustrating because normal ctf has a lot of "you're fucked" moments if your teammates are just killing and not worrying about the flag.

KodaRuss

I was under that assumption. Thanks for that Info.

Having said that you should still do whatever you can to deposit your money into the bank. That makes a huge difference in your team's score.

Ugh, so much this. The first game had this better for sure.
Not my experience at all.

I jumped into Titanfall a little late, but all my matches, from the first to the last had tons of several gen'd players mixed with totally new players, though it did look like it at least tried to mix both the new and vets together across the teams.

Sucks to see that the second game seems to have the same issues.

Luckily I haven't minded losing because the core gameplay is fun purely on its own.

Not my experience at all.

I jumped into Titanfall a little late, but all my matches, from the first to the last had tons of several gen'd players mixed with totally new players.

Sucks to see that the second game seems to have the same issues.

I like variety in the player skill/experience. Worse players and I dominate - better players and I learn. Why play the same level players every time?!

I like variety in the player skill/experience. Worse players and I dominate - better players and I learn. Why play the same level players every time?!
Playing others at your level keeps it more competitive, and I'd rather that than face high level players right from the get-go using unlocks I'm far from acquiring through credits or levels. Map knowledge and practice already provide higher level players an advantage, adding mods and special equipment and abilities on top of that just tilts the balance even farther out of whack, but all shooters seem to run off of the same playbook.

But again, the game seems to at least try to mix new and skilled players, which has its own logic to it, but can also lead to some severe stomps along the way.

=(

Titanfall%202%2011.01.2016%20-%2021.48.11.01.png~original

Guess it's back to Attrition or BH on PC.

SwolBro

Banned
There has to be a way to get more people playing CTF.

I'm not all that impressed with this version of CTF. So far every game i've been in has been pretty lopsided. It punishes bad players really really bad but that's not even the main issue. The main issue is the maps chosen for CTF tend to be the smaller ones. They're too small for the type of stim in this game.

I haven't done an all out competitive 5v5 ctf match yet so i'll have to do that before making a real call on it.

Also making a half end with just 2 caps? that's stupid.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, so this is an obscure question, but it's been bothering me.

What is the exact term for the mech aesthetic that Titanfall uses?

TV tropes divides them between Super Robots, which Titanfall is definitely not, and Real Robots, which are closer to the truth here.

But that tells me the way in which these robots are used. Not what their looks are called.

Because there are different kinds.

Gundam Robots generally look look like humanoid robots that are huge. You see few moving parts and the body looks like it could be a suit rather than a full on mechanical being. I feel most robots fall into this kind of catergory.

Then you have Robots like Metal Gear. These are not humanoid, but are also incredibly sleek and cohesive looking.

Robots like Mech Warrior seem closest to what Titanfall has. Titanfall's robots are more humanoid than Metal Gears, but they most certainly don't look like a suit that a man could put on.

Can anyone help me out with the technical terms for it?

how do I join the gaf network on pc. and yea I played one ctf match and it was a slog. joined in when we had 1 cap vs opposing team 0 and just stalemated afterwards.

The Dude

I just think capture the flag isn't much fun. It's also the mode that most punishes randoms that are playing against groups.

It needs some kind of twist or hook to me to be interesting. Just pure ctf isnt interesting.

One flag ctf where you don't have to worry about defending and capturing at the same time might be good. It's just frustrating because normal ctf has a lot of "you're fucked" moments if your teammates are just killing and not worrying about the flag.

Yea I don't think ctf is fun at all, it's a niche game mode, never understood the appeal

Top Bottom