• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

It's fine right now when connected to one of the bigger data centers. The problem is with they community only being about 10k people right it doesn't bode well for the games long term prospects. Maybe it turns things around like Rainbow Six Siege, but I that kind of turn around is rare. I don't really know what factors allowed Siege to come back from the brink, but it definitely wasn't just good word of mouth.

I'm no expert, but I think the huge patches that felt like "seasons" for the game drummed up a lot of hype. The first one got me into the game, but I know that Skull Rain had the highest influx of players. They also did some aggressive pricing, making a starter edition that was only $15.

How long is the SP Campaign?

I beat it in 4 and a half, buuut that was because I was on regular and regular is super easy (I haven't even tried easy to see but man it's probably insanely easy). You should probably try it on Hard since hard is still one level under the hardest which is Master.

Also really happy to see respawn moved the Variety stuff to the front! Actually got to do Pilots vs Pilots which I like doing every now and then compared to the regular game.

Bounty Hunter is probably front and center because it's the most beginner friendly mode. It's the mode where someone who doesn't necessarily excel at player vs player gameplay can still be the top player on the scoreboard. It makes sense if the idea is to get new people onboard because they saw the game has giant robots.

This totally makes sense. I guess it's more a matter of just sticking everything on one page. That seems like a simple solution.

Bounty hunt is way better than the shit mode that is CTF. CTF was never a popular mode in Tf1 either. Pretty sure the only reason they didn't ditch it is because it would have given people fodder to complain about.

Bounty hunt cant even be compared to CTF. BH is a casual MOBA-esq, mob farming mode. CTF is a very competitive, tactical and communication-driven mode that serves as one of the backbones in almost all FPS games. Hell, there's a reason the military and paintball associations use it as a primary "gametype".

You're completely entitled to your opinion though. I personally do not think either mode is "shit".

It's not a shit mode but it definitely is a much slower mode than all the others. (You can really perfect the art of flag running though and it's wonderful)

I do like playing CTF but I find that more people will quit a CTF match if they are losing.

I am looking forward to trying some ladder/gamebattles matches for the game and do some competitive CTF match play.

CTF is one of the fastest game modes in TF. Flag runners in experienced teams run constant wall-runs and even defenders are challenged with keeping up in order to assist mid-field players with holes in the perimeter etc.

FO put together a good primer for those interested. It also illustrates some of the speed of the mode in different portions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_PvmzW5Qbw

Tenshin

I beat it in 4 and a half, buuut that was because I was on regular and regular is super easy (I haven't even tried easy to see but man it's probably insanely easy). You should probably try it on Hard since hard is still one level under the hardest which is Master.

Also really happy to see respawn moved the Variety stuff to the front! Actually got to do Pilots vs Pilots which I like doing every now and then compared to the regular game.
play on hardmode its really the true "regular mode"

Gator86

If we're listing desired features, I'd absolutely love the ability to load into a map by myself to experiment with parkour routes. Currently can't start a private match game without at least two people in the lobby.

Absolutely. I would have loved the ability to try weapons in some test map before spending money on them or try out new attachments and setups. That's stuff that absolutely should have been included. Literally just load a bounty hunt game. All the stuff you'd need is included there.

hoyalawya

One question about the mini map. Do pilots shooting anti titan weapons not appear in the mini-map as dots? I could not never find them when I am in a titan.

Been using a variety of weapons. Still don't know which I like since they can all be effective.

I did see there are suppressors you can unlock for the pistols. Why not for primary weapons?

Stim definitely seems like the best one to equip. Being able to cover a map so quick feels good.

I was never a CTF fan but I can understand the complaints of having it on the 2nd page.

Really love this progression system. It makes me want to play with every piece of equipment.

I've said it before but Amped Hardpoint is my favorite mode.

I don't think I've recorded as many clips as I have with this game, lol. So many great/unexpected things can happen.

Don't really know what else to unlock with my credits. I have C4 and the Archer. Since everything is viable, I rather level up unlock things. I may just buy a new execution ;)

Been using a variety of weapons. Still don't know which I like since they can all be effective.

I did see there are suppressors you can unlock for the pistols. Why not for primary weapons?

Stim definitely seems like the best one to equip. Being able to cover a map so quick feels good.

I was never a CTF fan but I can understand the complaints of having it on the 2nd page.

Really love this progression system. It makes me want to play with every piece of equipment.

I've said it before but Amped Hardpoint is my favorite mode.

I don't think I've recorded as many clips as I have with this game, lol. So many great/unexpected things can happen.

Don't really know what else to unlock with my credits. I have C4 and the Archer. Since everything is viable, I rather level up unlock things. I may just buy a new execution ;)

I think that's because they don't want everyone trying to run suppressor/cloaking because that's what would happen. :p It makes you trade an anti-titan weapon for some stealth.

And yeah, the merit system is great, I like it more than raw xp gain.

One question about the mini map. Do pilots shooting anti titan weapons not appear in the mini-map as dots? I could not never find them when I am in a titan.

Pretty sure they definitely ping, most pilots are all over the place if they're trying to take you down with an anti-titan weapon though so you need to use visual moreso than radar.

I think that's because they don't want everyone trying to run suppressor/cloaking because that's what would happen. :p It makes you trade an anti-titan weapon for some stealth.

And yeah, the merit system is great, I like it more than raw xp gain.

Silenced R101c was my jam in TF1. So many salty people.

RIP in peace

The current meta is pulse blade and wall hack

Every one else is using it, but I think Respawn will be addressing this soon

Pulse blade doesn't bother me. It's easily avoidable and doesn't have a long duration, but map hack needs to have something done. It feels a little too strong.

Why on earth is the Sidewinder a primary weapon now along with some other anti titan weapons?

Beats me, I haven't touched the grenade launcher primaries cause I don't want to sacrifice my pilot killers. I haven't seen anyone running with one of them as their primaries, now that I think of it.

Gator86

The current meta is pulse blade and wall hack

Every one else is using it, but I think Respawn will be addressing this soon

They have to. Tone is the most powerful, ridiculously easy to use titan with a huge sonar range and every team has multiple wallhacks and pulse blades. All movement abilities and flanking are pointless, as people have mentioned. Hope they're hurrying with that first patch and DLC road map.

Risette

A Good Citizen
hardpoint really made this game click for me

I don't like the other modes because of all the AI enemy clutter though :<

Miker

Why on earth is the Sidewinder a primary weapon now along with some other anti titan weapons?

No idea why they force you to pick between anti-Titan weapon and pistol. I'd love to run Mozambique and Charge Rifle, but nope. I run it and Sidewinder instead, which I guess is okay, but still.

EDIT:
Speaking of Mozambique, it's probably one of the most satisfying guns in the game:
giphy.gif

Gator86

No idea why they force you to pick between anti-Titan weapon and pistol. I'd love to run Mozambique and Charge Rifle, but nope. I run it and Sidewinder instead, which I guess is okay, but still.

The decision to move away from the 3 weapon setup of 1 to the current 2 weapon set... is inexplicable and I don't think they've addressed it at all. I assume it was part of the push for the COD Bros who might be confused by 3 whole weapons.

What about those who get out of their Titans? Have a separate playlist where you can't? "LTS VR"

You would have a very small playerbase if you couldn't join the "normal" playlist

ZehDon

Finally got my Becomes the Master trophy. Not gonna lie - punched the air when the trophy sound played.

I'm starting to see TF2 creep up my friends list. Three guys at work picked it up as well because of all the reviews and word of mouth. Good to see its getting some attention.

dankir

What about those who get out of their Titans? Have a separate playlist where you can't? "LTS VR"

You would have a very small playerbase if you couldn't join the "normal" playlist

The environment is poison, you leave your Titan you ded! I haven't figured out all the details yet.

The decision to move away from the 3 weapon setup of 1 to the current 2 weapon set... is inexplicable and I don't think they've addressed it at all. I assume it was part of the push for the COD Bros who might be confused by 3 whole weapons.
Yeah the only issue I have with the drop down to 2 weapons instead of 3 weapons is when you have a primary and a anti-titan weapon as your 2 selected weapons. If you have to reload at any point when exchanging fire with someone you will more than likely lose. If I had a pistol along with an anti-titan weapon then it would be fine.

robotrock

Banned

I forgot you could leave your Titan in LTS. Yeah that's a problem.

Would have to be a separate playlist for sure. Probably an issue but I'm sure it would have as many players as RIGS.

definitely don't wanna do pilot gameplay in VR

I'm going to assume it's so the Grenadier class could exist at all. Not that I see any of those weapons used ever, considering the only one of them that isn't completely godawful is the EPG.

If you take a grenadier weapon and an AT weapon, you deny yourself a pistol as backup for when you're directly engaged up close. It seems like the 3-weapon system was eschewed for the sake of simplicity, and so people would have to make a decision between grenadier weapons and AT weapons.

Easy decision, obvs. But that's just me theorizing. No actual info.

Yup, the thing I loved about TF1 was how everyone had equal footing where all pilots had an anti titan weapon. A problem with vehicle mixed fps games, is usually how powerful the vehicles tend to be, and in TF1 this was not an issue since pilots all had a way to fight back, not just some pilots who equip it.

The two weapon set up.... just has no logic behind it, what were they thinking?

I'm going to assume it's so the Grenadier class could exist at all. Not that I see any of those weapons used ever, considering the only one of them that isn't completely godawful is the EPG.

If you take a grenadier weapon and an AT weapon, you deny yourself a pistol as backup for when you're directly engaged up close. It seems like the 3-weapon system was eschewed for the sake of simplicity, and so people would have to make a decision between grenadier weapons and AT weapons.

Easy decision, obvs. But that's just me theorizing. No actual info.
That is possible, but then why is there a grenade launcher in the Anti-Titan category as well if there is a separate grenadier class? It seems the simplicity is really the reason. However TF1's way it handled loadouts was already quite simple so there was no need to make it simpler.

Yup, the thing I loved about TF1 was how everyone had equal footing where all pilots had an anti titan weapon. A problem with vehicle mixed fps games, is usually how powerful the vehicles tend to be, and in TF1 this was not an issue since pilots all had a way to fight back, not just some pilots who equip it.

Yeah, pistols are only really useful in Pilots v. Pilots...and I ain't touching that mode.

R201.

Pulse blade.

Map hack.

Tone only.

Final destination.

It's all about the alternator. ;) Throw in a Mozambique secondary for extra salt.

I like the two weapon setup. I have infantry focused loadouts, like the Alternator and Mozambique, or more long range, anti-titan loadouts for when people start dropping them in. It isn't even necessary to have an anti-titan weapon on modes like Hardpoint because two out of three points are generally inaccessible by titans.

I find it weird that bumper jumper (or a variant of it) isnt the default control scheme in this game. Its such a large part of the game!

Population on PS4 in my region (server? Oregon 1) went up a lot last night from the night before. I hope that's a sign of more to come.

Edit: seems like Alternator hipfire is MORE accurate than Alternator ADS, at any range. Can that be possible?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yeah, a normal loadout + pistol in 2 just doesn't work in most modes. Same with the Smart Pistol boost, you are literally useless in the mid to late game when titans and reapers are everywhere.

Tokubetsu

Ppl are abusing the fuck out of map hack now. Real easy to tell when you're running into a stacked team too when they all run it and chain it.

I would rank the Titans in my opinion as follows:

1. Tone hands down
2. Kind of Tie between Legion and Ion
3. Scorch
4. Northstar
5. Ronin (This may shock some people and it shocks me too since I love the concept of Ronin but he is too much of a glass cannon to be useful in quite a number of situations.)

Grisby

Finally going to dig more into the MP tonight. I've almost got my CAR up to 20.

It's good. I'm still not in love with the maps, but they somewhat get the job done. Going to play CTF a bunch tonight as I've only been dabbling in Bounty Hunt and Attrition.

They definitely did a better job with the reward system this time around. Damn, don't really feel like going back to Gears or Battlefield (which admittedly, I'm not the biggest series fan of, but I like the spectacle) and probably won't touch Overwatch until December. GG Respawn.
EDIT:
Speaking of Mozambique, it's probably one of the most satisfying guns in the game:
giphy.gif
Need to give some love to the sidearms.

Population on PS4 in my region (server? Oregon 1) went up a lot last night from the night before. I hope that's a sign of more to come.

Edit: seems like Alternator hipfire is MORE accurate than Alternator ADS, at any range. Can that be possible?

Yeah, don't ever ADS with the alternator. It's meant to be hip fired. If someone is out of range I don't even bother until I close the gap.

Ppl are abusing the fuck out of map hack now. Real easy to tell when you're running into a stacked team too when they all run it and chain it.

It's not balanced around a whole team using it. Same with pulse blade. One enemy activating a map hack every now and then is fine, but when entire teams chain that shit along with pulse blades and tactikill to recharge it faster, fuck me.

So at what level do you prestige? And everything relocks right? So you can rebuy what you want immediately with credits so that when it rolls over again it'll already be unlocked?

Revas

I haven't found a weapon I really love yet. There doesn't seem to be a weapon that fills the same role as the DMR in TF1. The G2 loses out to the 201 in most engagements within its effective range, and the DMR has a weak trio of scopes and seems to fire slower. The lack of verticality make ranged weapons a crap shoot anyway which is unfortunate.

Map hack and sonar need to be adjusted,asap. There needs to be a hardcore mode or something w/o the player outline altogether. Always knowing where players are makes the game boring. The maps already funnel people into common areas as it is. Btw, most of these maps are bad. Respawn just needs to give us more TF1 maps, because their new design tenants(and art style) just aren't cutting it for me.

I am such hot garbage at this game. Which is really baffling to me since I'm pretty damn good at shooters in general - Onyx ranked in Halo 5, Master in Overwatch, usually top of the match in Unreal - but complete and utter poop at Titanfall. ;-;

Still having fun though, so there's that.

So at what level do you prestige? And everything relocks right? So you can rebuy what you want immediately with credits so that when it rolls over again it'll already be unlocked?

Prestige is at level 50 iirc, not sure if credit unlocks keep them thru prestige cause I've been naturally unlocking everything for my first one.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I haven't found a weapon I really love yet. There doesn't seem to be a weapon that fills the same role as the DMR in TF1. The G2 loses out to the 201 in most engagements within its effective range, and the DMR has a weak trio of scopes and seems to fire slower. The lack of verticality make ranged weapons a crap shoot anyway which is unfortunate.

Map hack and sonar need to be adjusted,asap. There needs to be a hardcore mode or something w/o the player outline altogether. Always knowing where players are makes the game boring. The maps already funnel people into common areas as it is. Btw, most of these maps are bad. Respawn just needs to give us more TF1 maps, because their new design tenants(and art style) just aren't cutting it for me.

The G2 with A-wall has been putting in work for me lately. I need to play it differently compared to just running around with the alternator, but you can lock down high ground effectively with it by blocking the front.

Thanks. I figured it was 50.

Titans and weapons have their own prestiges right? They reset after level 20?

Yeah. The weapons and titans(factions too) auto-regen when they hit the level cap, you have to actively choose to regen the pilot.

3DShovel

Alternator is life

I quite like Volt as well.

I think the only gun I don't like is the grenadier grenade launcher. Don't find it fits with the movement in the game.

This is literally the only game where, when I unlock a new gun, I almost always try it out. For a few reasons:
1. To get merits faster
2. To see if it feels as great as all the other weapons in the game.

This is also the only shooter where I have multiple load outs configured. I normally stick to one favourite, but here, I have many.

Can't wait for tonight so I can jump on and play.

Top Bottom