• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Gator86

I never used those and ran a stealth kit. The game allowed for any playstyle to be viable.

Because it's more fun to feel powerful then subdued. The other titans need to be brought up to feel fun. Right now they are weak.

If they are all balanced well, how do they feel weak? They only feel weak in comparison to Tone and, to a lesser extent, Legion. They don't feel weak in a vacuum. You're asking them to change the balance of a ton of stuff and the game overall. If they tweak every other titan up to Tone, congrats they'll all feel equal, but chances are something else will be broken by all that tweaking and the overall game will feel different as it will bleed over into interactions with the boosts, pilot vs. titan battles, etc. If they tweak only Tone, congrats they'll all feel equal and nothing else will be affected.

For a very plain example, if there's a game where most guns kill in 6-8 bullets, but one gun kills in 2, the solution is not to make all guns kill in 2 bullets. That's making an entirely new game because then everything is dead near instantly instead of having a higher TTK. The solution is to bring up the number of bullets that gun requires for a kill in line with the rest.

Though Tone is probably the overall best titan, I wouldn't say the others are terribly far behind for the most part. Ion's laser shot makes her a total beast at range, Legion locks down lanes insanely well, Ronin's shotgun melts unaware titans, and Scorch can lob flame mortars from behind cover. Northstar feels like the odd one out, with Ion's laser shot feeling like a better sniping tool than the plasma railgun in most situations, and having vortex shield for defense along with splitter rifle alt fire being fantastic against pilots.

Arrrammis

evilest.gif

This. Is. Amazing.

Just in case anyone wants to see this from the view of the unfortunate pilot, here's one of the times that it happened to me: https://youtu.be/i2HW6KcJVDQ?t=5m23s
and a Gyfcat link: https://gfycat.com/BareNeighboringKiwi

Homeboyd

If they are all balanced well, how do they feel weak? They only feel weak in comparison to Tone and, to a lesser extent, Legion. They don't feel weak in a vacuum. You're asking them to change the balance of a ton of stuff and the game overall. If they tweak every other titan up to Tone, congrats they'll all feel equal, but chances are something else will be broken by all that tweaking and the overall game will feel different as it will bleed over into interactions with the boosts, pilot vs. titan battles, etc. If they tweak only Tone, congrats they'll all feel equal and nothing else will be affected.

For a very plain example, if there's a game where most guns kill in 6-8 bullets, but one gun kills in 2, the solution is not to make all guns kill in 2 bullets. That's making an entirely new game because then everything is dead near instantly instead of having a higher TTK. The solution is to bring up the number of bullets that gun requires for a kill in line with the rest.
VERY well said. I agree 100%.

RedFury

Though Tone is probably the overall best titan, I wouldn't say the others are terribly far behind for the most part. Ion's laser shot makes her a total beast at range, Legion locks down lanes insanely well, Ronin's shotgun melts unaware titans, and Scorch can lob flame mortars from behind cover. Northstar feels like the odd one out, with Ion's laser shot feeling like a better sniping tool than the plasma railgun in most situations, and having vortex shield for defense along with splitter rifle alt fire being fantastic against pilots.
I agree with this mostly. Northstar used correctly is nasty. If rushed down its an easy kill but play her strength and a Legion or tone would lose every time. If you peak out with charged shots and cluster bombs you'd get them off at the cost of or before 1 Tone shot. Vs Legion he'd get maybe 2 bullets on you. I'd make that trade all day, enemy better change his game plan real quick...or die real quick. The ion aspect although ions laser is comparable damage wise (still does less) It's on a cool down. Northstar can lob spears at you at about the rate of Tones every other shot. Also piercing shot is so good on LTS having the entire enemy team in a lane. You can chip an entire teams health away with single shots. I see people using her traps wrong too. They throw them out then decide to go toe to toe with the enemy titan lol. I use it and set it in a spot where my team can hammer on the enemy that was ballsy enough to get out of position. The other thing is when that tone or legion finally do realize i need to bum rush this fool and end him quick. I throw it out and RUN (or what i like to call it "tacticool repositioning").Ronin, Northstar, and Scorch are my favorites. I think Ronin is probably the most difficult to master out of all titans.

Just bought the game on PC and I'm already loving the multiplayer. Can't wait to try the campaign that everyone has been going on about. Managed to pull off this to finish off a game of Pilot vs Pilot: https://streamable.com/ym4t

I am also concerned about the PC player-base. EA will need to drop the game's price, ideally within the next few weeks. I think it's vital considering Titanfall is fighting against Battlefield 1 and now CoD at the end of the week. I loved Titanfall 1, but paying £35-£40 for the sequel after the some of the initial problems in the first game initially put me off buying this. Now I'm happy I bought the game, but I can easily see why some people are hesistent to even consider buying Titanfall 2.

SwolBro

Banned
DID RESPAWN JUST PLACE CTF ON THE SECOND PAGE???????

Now no one is playing it lol. That's amazing.

Can't they just stick everything in the front page?

Sometimes my mind is blown with some of the decisions made. Honestly.

Gator86

The UI and all menu work seems like it was outsourced to a high school programming class. Just embarrassing shit mostly. Everything out of game looks like hot garbage.

It's not surprising they couldn't come up with an elegant way of getting all playlists on one page - they have homework to get to.

I agree with this mostly. Northstar used correctly is nasty. If rushed down its an easy kill but play her strength and a Legion or tone would lose every time. If you peak out with charged shots and cluster bombs you'd get them off at the cost of or before 1 Tone shot. Vs Legion he'd get maybe 2 bullets on you. I'd make that trade all day, enemy better change his game plan real quick...or die real quick. The ion aspect although ions laser is comparable damage wise (still does less) It's on a cool down. Northstar can lob spears at you at about the rate of Tones every other shot. Also piercing shot is so good on LTS having the entire enemy team in a lane. You can chip an entire teams health away with single shots. I see people using her traps wrong too. They throw them out then decide to go toe to toe with the enemy titan lol. I use it and set it in a spot where my team can hammer on the enemy that was ballsy enough to get out of position. The other thing is when that tone or legion finally do realize i need to bum rush this fool and end him quick. I throw it out and RUN (or what i like to call it "tacticool repositioning").Ronin, Northstar, and Scorch are my favorites. I think Ronin is probably the most difficult to master out of all titans.

I'd agree that Northstar is probably best used in LTS due to piercing shot. I just hesitate to snipe with her in other game modes due to how hard she has to commit to that playstyle. With Ion, I get a very effective (even if DPS is low) sniping tool in laser shot, while also having a great close range firearm, defensive option, and increased health. Northstar's tethers and cluster missiles don't really do it for me. Could just be a personal thing.

Yeah, like why a non-titan mode in a game called Titanfall 2 is on the front page instead of CTF, which emphases all of the game's unique strengths.

Yeah, like why a non-titan mode in a game called Titanfall 2 is on the front page instead of CTF, which emphases all of the game's unique strengths.

Wow, the entire multi page UI design is very poor. Why cant they just do a neat, single page system like every other multiplayer game out there?

Pushing something as good as CTF to the back... what a shame. But the mindless bot-farming fodder that is Bounty Hunt is smack front and center :/ SMH

Wow, the entire multi page UI design is very poor. Why cant they just do a neat, single page system like every other multiplayer game out there?

Pushing something as good as CTF to the back... what a shame. But the mindless bot-farming fodder that is Bounty Hunt is smack front and center :/ SMH

Bounty Hunter is probably front and center because it's the most beginner friendly mode. It's the mode where someone who doesn't necessarily excel at player vs player gameplay can still be the top player on the scoreboard. It makes sense if the idea is to get new people onboard because they saw the game has giant robots.

The UI and all menu work seems like it was outsourced to a high school programming class. Just embarrassing shit mostly. Everything out of game looks like hot garbage.

It's not surprising they couldn't come up with an elegant way of getting all playlists on one page - they have homework to get to.

I actually thought the UI and all was place holder for the Tech Test :X

Yeah that annoyed me last night, CTF is generally overlooked in most games but it's always one of my favorite modes. They should just have all game modes tiled on the front page, why have two? I can still get into games easy but the pop is low.

RedFury

I'd agree that Northstar is probably best used in LTS due to piercing shot. I just hesitate to snipe with her in other game modes due to how hard she has to commit to that playstyle. With Ion, I get a very effective (even if DPS is low) sniping tool in laser shot, while also having a great close range firearm, defensive option, and increased health. Northstar's tethers and cluster missiles don't really do it for me. Could just be a personal thing.

I can completely agree with this. I think the answer is in the play style. I see a lot of people complaining about characters being weak and they are playing them not how they were intended to be played. I think Ion, Tone, and Legion play more "typical" of FPS which make them easy to grasp. When people try to go with that same mind set to others they're upset it doesn't work. You don't take Reaper and try to use him like a Hanzo vice versa. People would look at you funny(does not stop people from doing it however).

On a side note does Northstar's railgun pierce walls? I had a game where tone had an enemy marked and I shot his silhouette through a wall and I swear I got a hit marker and points. Would like confirmation that I didn't accidently step on something while shooting lol. That would be a game changer.

SwolBro

Banned
this is too much. really. putting CTF on the second page is just a straight up smack in the face to their most loyal base.

these guys man. just.. unreal.

realwords

Copy of the game came early! Any tips before I get out of classes tonight? I plan on playing the campaign first, but I wanna know what you guys think any beginner should know.

Animator

Bounty hunt is way better than the shit mode that is CTF. CTF was never a popular mode in Tf1 either. Pretty sure the only reason they didn't ditch it is because it would have given people fodder to complain about.

Copy of the game came early! Any tips before I get out of classes tonight? I plan on playing the campaign first, but I wanna know what you guys think any beginner should know.

The campaign should get you set on movement mechanics and familiar with most weapons, so that's the best thing you could do. I'd switch up and try most titan loadouts during the campaign too (As there are also achievements for getting a core kill with each one during it). You fight every titan available in MP so it's a good way to figure out their strengths and weaknesses.

With how much I'm loving the MP this is quickly rising as one of my favorite games this year

Same here, haven't had this much fun with MP for a while.

With how much I'm loving the MP this is quickly rising as one of my favorite games this year

Might be my goty, actually. It's DOOM currently, but while I might have liked DOOM's campaign ever so slightly more than R2's, the multiplayer component of that game was almost nonexistent for me. Meanwhile, I'm having ridiculous fun with R2's. It's much more of a complete package for me.

Bounty hunt is way better than the shit mode that is CTF. CTF was never a popular mode in Tf1 either. Pretty sure the only reason they didn't ditch it is because it would have given people fodder to complain about.

It's not a shit mode but it definitely is a much slower mode than all the others. (You can really perfect the art of flag running though and it's wonderful)

I do like playing CTF but I find that more people will quit a CTF match if they are losing.

I am looking forward to trying some ladder/gamebattles matches for the game and do some competitive CTF match play.

Are people having problems finding games on PC? I keep seeing people repeat that the game is a ghost town on PC but that's not been my experience at all. No matter what mode I choose I get into a match within 20 seconds.

Vic_Viper

Finished the Campaign last night and man was it awesome! Yea the story might not have been the best FPS story ever but that really wasnt the point. The whole campaign was like a bunch of different ideas that offered completely new gameplay that never got old or repetitive. What started out as a futuristic Call of Duty campaign quickly became something similar to Valve's Portal.

Really wish they had like a challenge pack that let you go through areas after finishing the story with new levels using all the different types of gameplay. Yea I could go through the story again but id really like some more areas like a VR training mode from MGS. My standout favorite section has to be the
time travel
section. It felt so unique and different from anything ive played that involves the same mechanic. They really turned that section on its head towards the end that felt really cool. Another great moment was the
Inception
style area where they were building houses while traversing through a level. It started to get alil old towards the middle but then the area opened up into this test zone at the end that was awesome.

That Test area really needs to be with a Challenge pack if they do one for DLC. Co-op would be a really cool way to add some depth to the challenge pack. Almost like a horde mode would be a perfect addition for that play type.

My only gripe with the Multiplayer is the shotty Networking. I see lag sometimes that ive never seen before on a PS4 MP game. Players will slow down or skip ahead that just makes the game look really bad. Havent seen much talk about it so its probably just my connection but I always have 4-5 green bars so im not sure whats going on.

this is too much. really. putting CTF on the second page is just a straight up smack in the face to their most loyal base.

That loyal base wasn't representing or wasn't that big to begin with, I guess. This certainly isn't going to help though.

Are people having problems finding games on PC? I keep seeing people repeat that the game is a ghost town on PC but that's not been my experience at all. No matter what mode I choose I get into a match within 20 seconds.

Yeah, I've only played in the evenings, and only had time to try Bounty Hunter and Mixtape so far, but both found matches almost instantly.

Why is there a second page to begin with? You get people like my friend who didn't even know there was a second page until I told him. Just put it all on one screen lol

I never play it anyway because I usually get wrecked as a solo player, it's very popular for networks to team up in.

Gator86

Why is there a second page to begin with? You get people like my friend who didn't even know there was a second page until I told him. Just put it all on one screen lol

Same reason you can't look at challenges or your stats. Limited time and resources with virtually zero spent on the amenities and quality of life features gamers have come to expect. Where's my bot match option so I can test weapons and such, Respawn?

Same reason you can't look at challenges or your stats. Limited time and resources with virtually zero spent on the amenities and quality of life features gamers have come to expect. Where's my bot match option so I can test weapons and such, Respawn?

If we're listing desired features, I'd absolutely love the ability to load into a map by myself to experiment with parkour routes. Currently can't start a private match game without at least two people in the lobby.

Animator

It's not a shit mode but it definitely is a much slower mode than all the others. (You can really perfect the art of flag running though and it's wonderful)

I do like playing CTF but I find that more people will quit a CTF match if they are losing.

I am looking forward to trying some ladder/gamebattles matches for the game and do some competitive CTF match play.

Therein lies the biggest problem with CTF in Titanfall. It is almost always extremely lopsided. I have played probably close to 100 matches of CTF in Tf1 and I would say 95 of those were complete wipes. Then people start rage quitting and you are stuck in a 12-1 score game where you have zero chance of a comeback.

SwolBro

Banned
Therein lies the biggest problem with CTF in Titanfall. It is almost always extremely lopsided. I have played probably close to 100 matches of CTF in Tf1 and I would say 95 of those were complete wipes. Then people start rage quitting and you are stuck in a 12-1 score game where you have zero chance of a comeback.

yeah but that's matchmakings fault, not the game mode.

If we're listing desired features, I'd absolutely love the ability to load into a map by myself to experiment with parkour routes. Currently can't start a private match game without at least two people in the lobby.

i don't think they'll ever have that. it would require a server to spin up to place you in your own match.

not sure if they have some other way to do it.

What's the goddamn point in having the 8v8 mix pack in there if it only contains like 2 modes? why isn't that on the second page? baffling. The amount of people that don't realize there's a second page.... i don't have words to describe stuff like this. straight anger and astonishment.

It's fine right now when connected to one of the bigger data centers. The problem is with they community only being about 10k people right it doesn't bode well for the games long term prospects. Maybe it turns things around like Rainbow Six Siege, but I that kind of turn around is rare. I don't really know what factors allowed Siege to come back from the brink, but it can't have just been good word if mouth.

Top Bottom