• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Strider

I do not like the suggestion they only introduce a counter to Map hack... I'd rather they change the ability itself (because it's dumb in its current state).

If all they did was introduce a counter then I'm gonna feel like I have to equip that counter on all my loadouts... And I don't wanna feel forced into doing that.

Arrrammis

Gonna try playing with the gravity star a bit more today. I like my arc grenades, but I want to try running grav star/mastiff when I unlock the latter (which will be soon).
Here's a funny use for gravity start if you get the chance: throw it on a doomed Titan. If the pilot tries to eject, they'll immediately get pulled back down, and killed it they are using nuclear ejection. I was surprised the first time it happened to me, but now I keep an eye out for those opportunities, it's just so funny!

Same, but I want more precise marksman rifle. Something like the Battle Rifle or DMR from Halo or some of the super stable assault rifles from CoD.

Is the G2 supposed to be that archetype? I can't remember from campaign.

Yes, G2 = DMR, semi auto precision rifle, Hemlok = BR, burst rifle, both are crazy good and fun weapons, can't go wrong with either.

I do not like the suggestion they only introduce a counter to Map hack... I'd rather they change the ability itself (because it's dumb in its current state).

If all they did was introduce a counter then I'm gonna feel like I have to equip that counter on all my loadouts... And I don't wanna feel forced into doing that.

I think just change both MH and pulse blade to user only will be a lot better. IIRC map hack, satellite uplink and echo vision are all user only in R1.

I would like to see a change to nuclear eject where it should have a 2 second grace period where the enemy titan can execute the titan going nuclear and cancel it. It is really annoying getting people to doomed state with ronin and they just go nuclear eject and kill you when you are in sword core.
I believe they also took out the invulnerability frames when you're mounting your titan that would usually keep you and your titan safe from a nuclear eject. And I think the titan's landing shield no longer protects you either.

Here's a funny use for gravity start if you get the chance: throw it on a doomed Titan. If the pilot tries to eject, they'll immediately get pulled back down, and killed it they are using nuclear ejection. I was surprised the first time it happened to me, but now I keep an eye out for those opportunities, it's just so funny!

The grav star stops him from shooting off into the sky!? Oh shit, that's going to replace my C4 now lol

I need to see video proof of this before I consider switching

:D

Gator86

I don't want to see any titans nerfed - fuck that shit. Buff the weaker ones and make them more exciting. Nerfing everything frustrates the crap out of me. One of the big reasons MW2 was so good was to the viability of the complete sandbox.

I will never understand this logic, yet it shows up in every thread where balance comes up. Games are designed for a certain pace, flow, TTK, etc. When something is so good (e.g., Tone) that it obliterates everything else, the solution is to bring it back in line. Asking Respawn to change EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE GAME to match the thing that's out of line is not only more time-consuming and difficult, but also likely to result in unintended balance issues in other areas. It's also likely to change the entire game. If one gun does too much damage, the solution isn't to make all guns more damaging because that will push down the TTk and radically alter the game, for example.

Viability is inherently based on something's relation to other things. Slight tweaks to Tone's output won't suddenly make her unviable And if you are so worried that Respawn is unable to tweak her appropriately, what do you think they're going to do when asked to balance 3 or 4 other titans at once to match her?

Lucifon

This. Is. Amazing.

Menitta

evilest.gif

Alx

Yep the grav star can create funny scenarios. Yesterday a pilot used one to drag me out of a building in the open, where I was immediately shot. Not sure if it was intentional, but that was well played. :D

RedFury

In my opinion it shouldn't be a wall hack. It should just mark you on the radar as a dot with better accuracy and only for you. IF they want to keep it as a "wall hack" I'd be ok with a pulse/IQ type of wall scan if you familiar with R6:Siege, also only for the person that used it.

Predictably bummed when I logged into PC multiplayer servers last night to see player count so low. Guess I should've bought on console.

Side note - does anyone else have a problem with the contrast in the game? It's like the brights are way too bright to the point where I can't see the sky, but the darks are comic book style dark.

RedFury

Does Scorch's heat shields and stuff like that protect against nuclear ejection? I assume not.
Can't say for sure but I put it up every time (doesn't hurt to try). A single back dash + flame shield leaves me with minimal damage (sometimes no damage) so I always thought it did.

ChrisDM

Predictably bummed when I logged into PC multiplayer servers last night to see player count so low. Guess I should've bought on console.

Side note - does anyone else have a problem with the contrast in the game? It's like the brights are way too bright to the point where I can't see the sky, but the darks are comic book style dark.

Do you happen to remember what the numbers were? Having a tough time deciding between buying on PC or PS4 even though I'd highly prefer PC since I'm garbage at shooters on console.

Xeroblade

After reading through this thread excessively at work, I finally played the game last night, 2 chapters in and man I am getting some Vanquish vibes, I wonder how fast someone could go through the game? It feels so fluid and fresh, enjoying it so far.

Same.

I saw around 6000 people online.

I might have to double dip on PS4 if the player count drops again.

There were only 94 people playing 8v8 in my region last night. I thought everyone wanted bigger games? What gives?

Edit: I'm in Chicago. Not some remote locale.

Vipu

Banned
Got to 47 last night. The flatline is the biggest flaming trash pile ever, so that's disappointing. Virtually useless at long range. Just like R1, the 201 remains the most balanced and versatile weapon in the game. I'm still loving my volt tho.

Also, spent 300 credits on that grand theft execution. How dumb am I?

Dunno I was thinking using in execution too but nah.
Im using it to Coloseums instead for some nice rewards until I know better where should I use my coins.

There were only 94 people playing 8v8 in my region last night. I thought everyone wanted bigger games? What gives?

Edit: I'm in Chicago. Not some remote locale.

Too many people for Titanfall IMO. CTF, Hardpoint and LTS are what i play. I never pay attention to the player counts as long as i'm finding games. 94 seems insanely low though lol.

Do you happen to remember what the numbers were? Having a tough time deciding between buying on PC or PS4 even though I'd highly prefer PC since I'm garbage at shooters on console.

Might have gotten up to like 6.4k? Not good for PC. I'd be all for cutting playlists in the future to keep the limited group together. Or cross platform
jk but no seriously I am desperate

Jharp

Just ordered the PS4 version. I really hope the community isn't dead in a few months like alot of people seem to keep suggesting.

KingV

I will never understand this logic, yet it shows up in every thread where balance comes up. Games are designed for a certain pace, flow, TTK, etc. When something is so good (e.g., Tone) that it obliterates everything else, the solution is to bring it back in line. Asking Respawn to change EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE GAME to match the thing that's out of line is not only more time-consuming and difficult, but also likely to result in unintended balance issues in other areas. It's also likely to change the entire game. If one gun does too much damage, the solution isn't to make all guns more damaging because that will push down the TTk and radically alter the game, for example.

Viability is inherently based on something's relation to other things. Slight tweaks to Tone's output won't suddenly make her unviable And if you are so worried that Respawn is unable to tweak her appropriately, what do you think they're going to do when asked to balance 3 or 4 other titans at once to match her?

I remember MW2 as a game that was dominated by people dual wielding shotguns.

how can we get more people to play this on PC? I'd be so sad if it died.

Give it some time. Good shooters eventually attract audiences on PC. What I was talking to my friends about is that they do content drops like Siege does (Black Ice/Dust Line/Skull Rain) where they also come with a host of rebalances and changes. I think branding is pretty key to that; Black Ice is what got me into Siege. It's also typically an entire version update. It really felt like a big update.

I ended up joining the Giant bomb network on PS4 as the NeoGAF one just doesn't have anyone who wants to group ip. Like ever.

I'm on PC, but I actually don't even know how to join people in the gaf network. I apologize to anyone I could have been playing with. I'll learn how to do it today.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
How's the player count on PS4?

Just hopped off now, close to 18K, which isn't bad. Usually at 20-30K. :)

Just ordered the PS4 version. I really hope the community isn't dead in a few months like alot of people seem to keep suggesting.

I honestly hope not. And I don't think it will. There's a big chance it can catch some CoD players who don't like IW, and Black Friday and Christmas people should hike it up. If people see the scores, etc., they might bite, too.

I'm not having problems finding games, but I mostly play Attrition and Bounty Hunt.

Overcore + Grand Cannon might be the best for my Ion- it ensures I get one Laser Core per LTS round which in turns almost ensures I get 1 kill per round if I use it good.

And sometimes that's enough.

Another thing I find myself doing is when I have a good team I obsess over killing that one damn pilot still running around.

Miker

how can we get more people to play this on PC? I'd be so sad if it died.

Emphasize that a concurrent player count of 7500 or so is fine for a 6v6 game. Look at Rainbow Six Siege as an example. There's a small solid playerbase that's perfectly fine for a smaller scale game. I don't think people should be scared off just because that seems tiny next to BF1'S concurrent player count. The only way the playerbase will grow and stabilize is if people actually buy the game instead of worrying about the population.

Gator86

I remember MW2 as a game that was dominated by people dual wielding shotguns.

Is this a complete thought or related to what I said? If anything, the 1887s are an example of what I'm saying. "Don't nerf things because reasons" would just require everything in the game to be an instant kill with no aiming from a mile away to compete. Instead, the right answer was to nerf the shotguns. The whole never nerf argument is completely unsustainable for a game long term.

dankir

went to play this morning (7am NY region) and could only find games of attrition

how is that possible?

Because its 7 AM east coast and most people are going to work? I'm in Montreal and I connect to the NY data center and was playing until 330 AM this morning. Still gotta work man!

New video today: the best Titan (imo) for multiplayer

Spoilers:
Tone. In most situations. Versatile kit, excels from medium to long range and has a very powerful core ability that also tracks when you've got a lock on. Fire those salvo rockets straight up in the air and witness awesomeness when a Titan is hiding behind a building.

Tone is definitely the best imo. 40mm cannon is good at all ranges for both titans and pilots, tracking missiles are godlike, shield makes her one of the only titans that can engage in a head-on fight without being at risk, and sonar helps the entire team immensely while also covering her flanks (and flanking is one of her weaknesses).

E92 M3

But especially noobtubes combined with one man army and commando, right?

I never used those and ran a stealth kit. The game allowed for any playstyle to be viable.

Because it's more fun to feel powerful then subdued. The other titans need to be brought up to feel fun. Right now they are weak.

Maps still kind of feel like a mess. Pilot combat feels a bit better. Titan combat feels more balanced.

Kind of hot and cold around the board, but on the same page more or less.

cool, game looks really good but 80+tax for a game makes me think twice
hows the population on xbox?

Geist-

New video today: the best Titan (imo) for multiplayer

Spoilers:
Tone. In most situations. Versatile kit, excels from medium to long range and has a very powerful core ability that also tracks when you've got a lock on. Fire those salvo rockets straight up in the air and witness awesomeness when a Titan is hiding behind a building.

Yep, I utilize everything you said. Upgraded Particle wall and liberal use of tracker rockets shot straight into the air (As my previous post shows)

Best titan by far. Hopefully they just buff the others instead nerfing Tone into oblivion.

Top Bottom