• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
That is ridiculous. Tone is fine - just because you got worked by a good player doesn't mean Tone needs to be butchered. I've killed plenty of Tones/Legions and also got killed by them when making a dumb play.

Instead of crying for nerfs, think about what you did wrong as a player and try to improve it. Sometimes Legion pisses me the fuck off, but I don't think he needs a nerf.

Thankfully Respawn are smart developers and don't nerf/buff based on emotional outbursts.
QFT. There are tweaks to be made.... but c'mon. I will say that the difficulty ratings are a bit off. Tone is somehow 3 stars but seems instantly easy to pick up. The 40mm and Particle Wall are instantly familiar since they were such go-tos in the original, and the new lock-on mechanic and sonar pulse are very intuitive and easy-to-use. Ion is 1 star but requires you to balance energy across some very different abilities. It's not immediately obvious how to play her.

I thought the shields were the same for all titans? Doesn't a shield give the equivalent of 1 health block?

EDIT; Yup FrothyOmen just confirmed all titan shields give same amount of health.
Hey don't inject facts into this thread. This thread is about Izuna's feelings.

So is there any bonus to really chasing after goosers? Like a 50 gooser kill banner/patch?
There was a patch for getting... 3 I think? And I haven't seen one since then. I'm pretty sure I'm over 50 by now but it's hard to say without stat tracking. But lack of strafe ejectors equals a lot of easy 40mm geese.

I'm finding the patches a little underwhelming. Monochrome except for the old school Gen markers. Hopefully there's a bit more to it in the future. And Advocate Gifts are pretty meh. There's no animation going on when you click on it, just instant unlock, so it probably doesn't exploit the gambler brain quite as well. Also you only get one thing instead of 3 which seems to be standard for loot boxes in these games. And most importantly for me at least, the calling card you unlock IS SO FREAKING SMALL. You can't even really tell if it's good. It should at least pop in your face as large as it is in the calling card select screen. And if there's more resolution hiding in there it should pop up EVEN BIGGER.

Ronin - NAH, clip size is fine, so is dash (2 dashes are enough, 3 dashes are like infinite) He needs to get faster Arc Wave charge in Sword Core and the ability to still use a Shotgun.

Scorch - He doesn't need a single change. More damage would make him stupid OP

Northstar - His core does insane damage already. I agree with other stuff tho

Ion - are you insane lmao, most balanced Titan needs no improvement ;)

Tone - She needs her walls to do small blast damage when it runs out or replaced, she needs close range stuff

Legion - I think they should just make Smart Core damage deplete his Smart Core so it's effectively 8 seconds when hitting enemies (with the kit) or 5 seconds without the kit

The buffs you suggest for Ronin wouldn't make a difference. The shotgun is weak and being able to use it in sword core isn't going to make a difference to your damage output. It's generally always better to just dash forward and keep using sword core because there's not much chance of you killing them with the shotgun.

I also don't think Tone needs anything. I think she is the most balanced Titan, not Ion. Ion is a jack of all trades, a master of none. He comes out of most encounters fairly badly, with no means of preserving his health.

The buffs you suggest for Ronin wouldn't make a difference. The shotgun is weak and being able to use it in sword core isn't going to make a difference to your damage output. It's generally always better to just dash forward and keep using sword core because there's not much chance of you killing them with the shotgun.

I also don't think Tone needs anything. I think she is the most balanced Titan, not Ion. Ion is a jack of all trades, a master of none. He comes out of most encounters fairly badly, with no means of preserving his health.

I don't think that's true with Ion, if you use your abilities right I can get kills on people without taking much damage at all. Need to know when to dash and when to shield, drop your tripwires, etc. It's just about balancing energy levels.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I played a few rounds with Tone last night to speed up my leveling and she feels really strong, especially coming from Ion. I could average around 3 titan kills before I had to eject.

I don't think it is a Titan balance issue so much as it is a map issue.

For a titan most of the maps are a few long corridors with very few intersections. They're designed that way so players have spaces for pilot fights that don't involve titans but what it ends up doing is making the maps poorly suited for any sort of flanker titans, like oh, say, Ronin. Not to mention that those laned maps often allow cross lane fire over the non-titan areas that Tone and Legion can take great advantage of.

Regardless of how you weaken Tone/Legion it isn't going to allow Ronin to flank quicker. If you make them so weak that he can safely just run right up the middle to engage every time you've created another balance issue, one that would probably lead to Ronin teams with one scorch to keep the main approach burning.

It is a tough one that won't be fixed by simply tweaking Titan stats.

Gator86

You can't either nerf, or buff universally and keep the vision you intended for the game. If Bungie buffed weaker weapons instead of nerfing stronger, you get a constant inflation where gear gets better and better to compensate continual balance misshaps.

Bungie didn't universally nerf everything that was powerful, they applied a number of nerfs, and buffs. The reason you can't go to Destiny without having a lot of your gear nerfed is because you intentionally gravitated to the overpowered gear (as most do). So players are always going to feel as though game devs are nerfing more than they're buffing, because it's the upper echelon of items and equipment that end up getting nerfed.

People like Gator86 suggesting that Bungie only balance their game by nerfing equipment are being disingenuous.

I never implied that. I simply discussed nerfs because that's what we were talking about. Bungie also does a shit job with buffs. I don't have a problem with devs doing either as long as they're done well.

I agree with you entirely - someone coming back to Destiny and feeling sad their Thorn got nerfed isn't justifiable. That shit broke the game entirely and everyone used it because it was absolutely broken. Were they supposed to buff every other weapon in the entire game to kill in two shots across the map because NO NERFS, ONLY BUFFS? That would fundamentally alter the game. The same thing is true here. Sometimes nerfs are good and sometimes they are bad. Let devs use whichever is more appropriate.

I don't think it is a Titan balance issue so much as it is a map issue.

For a titan most of the maps are a few long corridors with very few intersections. They're designed that way so players have spaces for pilot fights that don't involve titans but what it ends up doing is making the maps poorly suited for any sort of flanker titans, like oh, say, Ronin. Not to mention that those laned maps often allow cross lane fire over the non-titan areas that Tone and Legion can take great advantage of.

Regardless of how you weaken Tone/Legion it isn't going to allow Ronin to flank quicker. If you make them so weak that he can safely just run right up the middle to engage every time you've created another balance issue, one that would probably lead to Ronin teams with one scorch to keep the main approach burning.

It is a tough one that won't be fixed by simply tweaking Titan stats.

Yeah the lanes can get annoying on some maps, but there are always viable flanking routes. I've yet to see an enemy team successfully hold all three lanes. They generally group together, leaving flanks open. I think Ronin is fine atm, if a good player uses him he's very annoying. Maybe they can implement some sort of damage drop off for Tone at range? It is a 40mm cannon, after all, not a sniper. That way they wouldn't be poking as much from other lanes.

Izuna

Banned

Being able to fend off Ronin with Electic Smoke is his #1 problem Imo. Having a Shotty in Sword Core fixes that.

Also, I've noticed he gets pushed back far if Titans spam melee? A bunch of people were doing it to me. I wonder what that was about.

duxstar

Is there something I'm missing with North star, basically you have the long wind up heavy shot but when it comes to pilots/other mechs if they get up close I'm pretty much SOL. That is the way he works right? I just got into the online portion of the game last night, the problem is I have no clue when things will unlock or how to work towards that. What is the best Anti-mech pilot weapon, the MGL ?

You can't either nerf, or buff universally and keep the vision you intended for the game. If Bungie buffed weaker weapons instead of nerfing stronger, you get a constant inflation where gear gets better and better to compensate continual balance misshaps.

Bungie didn't universally nerf everything that was powerful, they applied a number of nerfs, and buffs. The reason you can't go to Destiny without having a lot of your gear nerfed is because you intentionally gravitated to the overpowered gear (as most do). So players are always going to feel as though game devs are nerfing more than they're buffing, because it's the upper echelon of items and equipment that end up getting nerfed.

People like Gator86 suggesting that Bungie only balance their game by nerfing equipment are being disingenuous.

Bungie tends to make multiple changes without first seeing how a specific change resolves the issue at hand. It leads to an overall frustrating system of highs and lows in regards to balance where they're constantly creating new problems all the time where I feel no option but to gravitate towards the OP weapons and I personally like to mix it up.

Is there something I'm missing with North star, basically you have the long wind up heavy shot but when it comes to pilots/other mechs if they get up close I'm pretty much SOL. That is the way he works right? I just got into the online portion of the game last night, the problem is I have no clue when things will unlock or how to work towards that. What is the best Anti-mech pilot weapon, the MGL ?

Northstar is meant to be at range for sure, set your traps up on your flanks so you have a moment to disengage if necessary.

You unlock more equipment for gear the more you use it. If you want Northstar unlocks, play with her every game, etc.

I have used the MGL the most, it seems to be the best to me but I still have a couple locked. The charged laser one is a little too slow for me, you can be a lot more mobile with the MGL which is important when you're trying to take out a titan.

With Northstar and Ronin you need to be constantly on the move due to your low health compared to other titans. In terms of the best anti-titan weapon that depends, but personally I prefer the Thunderbolt due to it making your Titan meter go up faster (at least it feels like it does) and you do not have to be totally accurate with it to still cause damage.

Gator86

Bungie tends to make multiple changes without first seeing how a specific change resolves the issue at hand. It leads to an overall frustrating system of highs and lows in regards to balance where they're constantly creating new problems all the time where I feel no option but to gravitate towards the OP weapons and I personally like to mix it up.

Yeah, I don't want Respawn making sweeping changes when more specific tweaks, even nerfs, would serve the game better. Don't be Bungie and just take a sledgehammer to everything when a tiny chisel would do. It would be cool to *gets shotgunned by an asshole sliding down a hallway a block away*

Mupod

I was able to do well with Northstar but in 90% of situations it's a downgrade from Tone. Maybe I'm missing something but the actual damage per second of the charged sniper rifle seems way lower than spamming shots out of Tone's main gun. Maybe the range is better, but how often is that going to help in these maps? Obviously charged shots are helpful when enemy titans are popping in and out of cover effectively, but I felt like I wasn't doing devastating amounts of damage with fully charged shots. It's a lot easier to hit pilots with Tone too, although less satisfying.

And that's just the main gun. The rest of Northstar's kit is objectively worse than Tone. Jumping in the air as the most fragile Titan is such a bad idea, and what is tether going to do when the most popular titans lack mobility to begin with?

Alx

, the problem is I have no clue when things will unlock or how to work towards that. ?

To see the unlocking conditions, just move your cursor in the customization menus, and there should be text explaining what you need to do (for the stuff linked to regeneration, you need to regenerate once to see the details I think, unless it just got parched in later)

And yes Northstar is exclusively a range fighter. Either use the environment or team titans to protect yourself, and charge shots while peeking out or hovering over them.

Jito

Banned
I've concluded that Amped Hardpoint is actually pretty broken and boring, you spend most of the game camping at Hardpoints to amp them up, if you don't then you'll lose the game to the other team doing the same thing. It's counter intuitive to the fast paced design of the game, what gives Respawn?

Gator86

There was once a time when that was true.

RIP

The reduction in titan mobility frankly sucks ass. I feel forced to use a dash core on every titan but Ronin just so I don't feel like I'm trudging through snow. I don't get how the game was improved at all by reducing the speed of titan combat. I'm assuming it was confusing for the COD kids Respawn wanted. Well, they didn't show up, like they never do when people chase COD money. Give us dashes back.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was able to do well with Northstar but in 90% of situations it's a downgrade from Tone. Maybe I'm missing something but the actual damage per second of the charged sniper rifle seems way lower than spamming shots out of Tone's main gun. Maybe the range is better, but how often is that going to help in these maps? Obviously charged shots are helpful when enemy titans are popping in and out of cover effectively, but I felt like I wasn't doing devastating amounts of damage with fully charged shots. It's a lot easier to hit pilots with Tone too, although less satisfying.

And that's just the main gun. The rest of Northstar's kit is objectively worse than Tone. Jumping in the air as the most fragile Titan is such a bad idea, and what is tether going to do when the most popular titans lack mobility to begin with?
I loved Northstar, but she only works in support roles with other tank titans like Tone or Legion in front. A fully charged snipe to a critical spot can take down an entire chunk of health, if not more.

I just think the rest of the kit is useless, which makes it basically impossible to use if you are not playing on a somewhat coordinated team. Playing LTS with randoms and Northstar is especially frustrating because if you get separated, you're basically done.

Tone needs the rate of fire on the 40mm moderately reduced.
Northstar needs a buff to the cluster missle, even with the perk it is weak.
Ronin could use few more pellets per shot.
Ronin and Northstar both need a higher dash regen.
Legion needs his gun shield recharge timer slightly increased.
Ion and Scorch needs some tweaks for increased DPS.

I've concluded that Amped Hardpoint is actually pretty broken and boring, you spend most of the game camping at Hardpoints to amp them up, if you don't then you'll lose the game to the other team doing the same thing. It's counter intuitive to the fast paced design of the game, what gives Respawn?

Ideally it encourages someone stay back and defend while the rest captures. When this happens, its awesome and reinforces teamwork well.

It's why I love the mode. It gives you options.

Menthuss

The melee system is such a trainwreck. It manages to not register hits despite my attacks visibly making contact with an enemy and other times it auto-tracks so hard my I end up meleeing enemies that I didn't even see.

Jito

Banned
Ideally it encourages someone stay back and defend while the rest captures. When this happens, its awesome and reinforces teamwork well.

It's why I love the mode. It gives you options.

Sure but that means a player is just spending the game sat at a point which is pretty boring and it's even easier for one team to get ahead and steamroll the whole match unlike the close games I've had on TF1. It's also pretty lifeless without bots.

Gator86

The melee system is such a trainwreck. It manages to not register hits despite my attacks visibly making contact with an enemy and other times it auto-tracks so hard my I end up meleeing enemies that I didn't even see.

It's abominable. I can't think of more than once or twice I've been meleed and thought "that seems legit." I was shooting someone in the back yesterday and he melee'd and I just fell over dead despite the fact I was like 3 feet behind him and he was facing the opposite direction.

Sure but that means a player is just spending the game sat at a point which is pretty boring and it's even easier for one team to get ahead and steamroll the whole match unlike the close games I've had on TF1. It's also pretty lifeless without bots.

Harpoint isn't slow at all, if you're playing it that way it may explain why you have such lopsided games. Amp a hardpoint, help with B or C, move back to A, re-amp, rinse and repeat. Once a hardpoint is amped there is no reason to go back until it's about to lose it or it's being capped.

SwolBro

Banned
It looks like a jumpfest based on all the YT videos I have watched. No thanks.

Haha coliseum is hilariously good fun!!! you guys just get salty. i'm undefeated in about 10 matches i think. maybe it's 9 i dunno.

I dart straight at them with a nade, they always fucking panic lol. But i got that deadly frag nade from Titanfall1 down pat. it's pretty much the same nade with a much shorter throwing distance.

Jito

Banned
Harpoint isn't slow at all, if you're playing it that way it may explain why you have such lopsided games. Amp a hardpoint, help with B or C, move back to A, re-amp, rinse and repeat. Once a hardpoint is amped there is no reason to go back until it's about to lose it or it's being capped.

Right so now I'm being lectured on how to play a game I've already put 20 odd hours into.

Face it, Hardpoint was better in the first game, I don't get why they've fucked with it at all.

Right so now I'm being lectured on how to play a game I've already put 20 odd hours into.

Face it, Hardpoint was better in the first game, I don't get why they've fucked with it at all.

I'm just giving you my opinion, not trying to lecture you lol. It isn't a slow mode, I hardly find anyone camping in it. If you play CTF then that's a different story.

Also off-note, I only played about 5 rounds of the first game while drunk at a buddies house because I didn't have an Xbox until about 2 months ago, don't think I tried original Hardpoint. I will say that I do not care for AI modes, though, I prefer all real players.

It was better, but the guy isn't really wrong. I'm typically on the move too. Amping, then hauling ass to another point, then back to defend. Then again, I mainly play 8v8, so that may be a bit more chaotic.

SwolBro

Banned
i just played a match where every 5 seconds there was a sonar/map hack ping. lol. holy fuck.

they can't afford to not address this as soon as possible.

Jito

Banned
Sorry guys didn't mean to blow up on anyone, it's still a fun mode just comes down to if you're teammates are actually playing the objective. I find half the matches I play people forget what mode they're playing when the Titans start appearing, spending the rest of the match going for kills instead of the Hardpoints. It was the same in the first game really.

Mechazawa

It's abominable. I can't think of more than once or twice I've been meleed and thought "that seems legit." I was shooting someone in the back yesterday and he melee'd and I just fell over dead despite the fact I was like 3 feet behind him and he was facing the opposite direction.

vbcTxEu.gif

I despise the new melee. I don't know what they did to it between the first game and this one, but I am constantly chartering new territory as to what constitutes a whiffed melee in this game.

Agreed. No need to keep displaying it so people keep asking.

Take away player count and take away some of the modes (or just combine some) would help a lot of public perception

No combining modes should be a last ditch effort to keep playlists stocked on players. I feel like they should change the layout of the playlists to a vertical list and no use the huge icons they currently have. Having to scroll to the right off screen just to select CTF is probably the reason most people don't even know it exists. I didn't see it at first and thought it didn't exist until I scrolled right. It may seem like a trivial complaint but it's small things like that, that can make a big impact on the casual player who just picked up the game on a whim

So if there's nothing you're actually interested in saving up credits for, is there any reason not to just immediately spend them on coliseum tickets every time you hit 10? The only thing I want to unlock is in the 300 credit range and looks like it can just drop as an advocate gift anyway.

MrBlonde

enjoying the game but I cant find a gun that I love, I like a couple but not one I really love, any suggestions or what are you guys using with success?

Alx

Yeah the melee feels weird in this game... It was excessively generous in the first one (with easy executions and flying kicks killing a target some distance away), but it doesn't feel reliable at all in TF2. I think I only made a single execution in the game, and that was while going slooooowly in campaign against a grunt, to get the achievement.

Top Bottom